Harrimans Virginia Piedmont Grill
500 North Pendleton Street
Middleburg, VA 20117Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Harrimans Virginia Piedmont Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.salamanderresort.com/dining/harrimans-grill
- Phone: 5406873600x
- Hours of Operation:
Closed: Mondays and Tuesdays
Breakfast: Saturday 6:30 am-11 am • Sunday 6:30 am-8 am
Sunday Brunch: 8 am-2 pm
Dinner: Wednesday-Sunday 5 pm-10 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sean McKee
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Harrimans Virginia Piedmont Grill
Inspired and staying true to the essence of our location in the Virginia Piedmont, Harrimans menu highlights fresh, seasonal ingredients, captivating farm to table elements; literally, with our very own Chef's garden located just outside the restaurant. In a relaxed yet refined setting, guests will enjoy delicious breakfasts and mouth-watering dinners, while overlooking sweeping views of the Virginia countryside, resort stables, and distant Bull Run Mountains range. The intimate and private dining room is designed with intricate details to accommodate any meeting or special occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Harrimans Virginia Piedmont Grill - Best Restaurants in Middleburg ›
Harrimans Virginia Piedmont Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (43)special occasion (41)romantic (31)fit for foodies (21)notable wine list (21)great for brunch (20)vibrant bar scene (9)good for groups (8)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)great for lunch (4)neighborhood gem (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Salamander resortOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014We had an excellent server, Hannah, she made the meal experience very nice. We had a large group, eight of us, which were easily accomodated at a wonderful round table (half banquette half chairs). We were seated an early hour 6:30 due to their ability to take us however a screaming child greeted us. That aside, the food was very good and having the large group at a round table ( vs standard rectangular) was fabulous! The lobby, library and bar were full with locals, out of town visitors and hotel guests. Seating and ambiance warm and inviting. Especially lovely for a large event, either family or business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh.RockfishFanDined on 10/13/2014Breakfast = overpriced brunch. Service was spotty and indifferent.
- Average food, VERY overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014The food was OK but nothing outstanding. Everything was very overpriced, which is to be expected in a resort but the prices even seemed high for a resort restaurant. Overall, it was nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- Brunch - Not BadNakeshaVIPDined on 10/12/2014We only had a chance to dine at brunch on a Sunday. Unfortunately, that doesn't give you the opportunity to fully experience the menu. The restaurant is lovely, though and if you happen to be at Salamander Resort, definitely try it.Special Features:
- Go elsewhereBmoreyummVIPDined on 10/10/2014We chose to go here for the convenience while staying at the Salamander. I also figured it would be a great experience since it was in an amazing resort/spa. Wow was I wrong. We had an 8:30pm reservation. We were told it would be a few mins until our table was ready. By 9:00pm we still weren't sitting! Finally when we did sit, the manager rushed over to take our order, didn't tell us specials, but said our waiter was swamped so he would get the order going. I ordered a ceasar salad for dinner since I wasn't that hungry. The manager came back a few minutes later to tell me he added chicken to my salad complimentary....umm I would have ordered that if I wanted chicken on my salad. Overall bad food and we never met our waitress!
- NoriellieVIPDined on 9/28/2014I was a little disappointed with the salmon. The filet was good. Asparagus had hard stem still presenySpecial Features:
- Service was greatJamgalanVIPDined on 9/28/2014I liked the service better then the food. It was hard to make a reservation , although it was half empty.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Our experience was so-so. It took quite some time for our wine to be served and then for our food to be served as well. We didn't have any appetizers or desserts and it took 2 hours from start to finish. The food was alright, nothing great or spectacular. Our server and the view was great, so that helped make up for the other disappointing aspects.Special Features:
- Just O.K.barney16Dined on 9/17/2014Maybe my expectations were too high. The atmosphere is beautiful, but the service and food were less than stellar. The waiter seemed frazzled, even though it didn't seem that busy. His explanation for the "seasonal vegetables" was "Whatever they harvested in the garden today." Does that mean it's supposed to be a surprise? Never asked if we wanted a second glass of wine. The food was good, but not exceptional.Special Features:
- OkayDAGGERDined on 9/17/2014The restaurant was okay. The food was decent but not what one would expect for the price. I frequently dine in and around D.C. where prices can head north quick, but the quality of food is usually directly proportional to price. My rib eye steak was decent and my ladies osso buco was good. The dinner rolls served ahead of dinner were uninspiring, and all of the overpriced items on the menu were a la carte which again reflects the absurd prices. My two person table was obnoxious as well (restaurant is full of these style tables) due to my long legs. I had to sit at a angle because there was no room! And lastly, there was personal wait staff experience. Often we felt forgotten. Save you money and go anywhere else. Poorly Managed!
- Not overly enthusiasticSalamanderDined on 9/14/2014Salamander I'm on the fence... the property and views are great. The food was not accurately described on the menu so there were some surprises that didn't quite work.... Caprese salad had a tapenade, olives and a lot of olive liquid; there was some basil, but also mint (strange). Salmon entrée was served with grits and a beet puree that was really sweet so overall had too many varying flavors. dessert of peach meringue sandwiches and spice cakes had rosemary twigs (also strange). If the items were described better on the menu I would have asked for variations but they weren't so I got what what I got. Caesar salad, filet and chocolate mouse dessert were all good. Overall, I think the restaurant needs some time to mature.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/14/2014The buffet wasn't replenished very quickly and most of the dish's weren't that hot.Special Features:
- Mediocre at BestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Level of service and food quality does not match the price point, especially when factoring in the price of a hotel room. Step it up Salamander.
- Beautiful!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2014Great presentation and service. Harrimans has very high ceilings and windows all around, you feel nestled warm and safe. An Equestrian theme and decor, including short leather stools to hold your purse. The table was elegant, simply dressed with the most colorful stems placed in a glass/metal vase. We had a 3-course meal and the food was excellent. Unexpected food pairings, but everything was deliciously seasoned and blended well. Note, their Caesar salad includes sliced Anchovies laid on top of the lettuce. Beef was tender and my Salmon was just right! All food was perfectly plated and served hot. Our wait staff was efficient and knowledgeable about the menu and sought to exceed our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely settingjumpinjackVIPDined on 9/11/2014This restaurant/ hotel and spa is a beautiful place.The food was really good and we had a great waiter.it also is nice to go to a restaurant where you can carry on a conversation easily since the noise level was very low.Special Features:
- Harriman'sMargoDined on 9/7/2014Had the prix fixe 3 course dinner at Harriman's, while enjoying a lovely stay at the Salamander Resort. The restaurant staff was very accommodating; we made rather spontaneous plans but they managed to meet our request for a window side table. The dining area is rounded and beautifully furnished. The menu is interesting and incorporates many ingredients grown on the premises. The food, however, fell a little short of the expectations; the combinations were interesting but the outcome slightly off. The service was very attentive. I think with time this could evolve into an excellent restaurant. We loved the overall experience of the Salamander - so close to the DC area, and yet feels a world away.Special Features:
- New Favorite GetawayWineAndDineDined on 9/6/2014Went to Harriman's at the Salamander Resort for anniversary dinner and it exceeded our expectations. Lobster ceviche appetizer was fantastic, and lamb chops were perfectly cooked and seasoned. Server was knowledgeable and friendly, and serving teams provided impeccable service, from drinks to food presentation, to clearing... never had to ask for anything. Go a few hours early and enjoy the spa and grounds before dinner, and stay after for conversation around one of the fire pits on the estate, or enjoy live piano music and saxophone in the parlor. Wonderful experience all the way around.Special Features:
- Something just isn't quite rightnancyDined on 8/24/2014Food was so so, very salty and given the price, it shouldn't have been. The service was...odd. Something is odd about this place. They could so use mystery guests to provide feedback to the owners. In some cases the servers were overly nice (honestly, almost too much so). In other cases, they simply missed things...such as spoons when bringing the soup or complete coffee service at one time. There was a conference going on that seemed to use a lot of the property and perhaps much of the staff as well. Hard to say. On the other hand, I didn't peg this place as a conference hotel.Special Features:
- B food, A+ pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014This restaurant in the Salamander Resort is trying to be an A+ dining experience. The menu is lovely, the ambiance is outstanding. We had dinner and breakfast there during an overnight stay. Service was good. But the food is a bit overpriced for what it is. Had to send back a shrimp appetizer at dinner because of its fishy smell and not fresh taste. Other appetizers were good, but over-sauced. Steaks were fine, but, again, just did not live up to the price. Breakfast buffet was lovely. Food was pretty good and service was good too. Again, though, very overpriced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicous Dinner, poor table serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014The food was expertly prepared and the plating was nice, though it's the same plating for breakfast and dinner, regardless of entrée. Service is incredible slow, bordering on being ignored until you demand attention. Resort needs to train the servers how to train servers to meet the needs of their guests. Recommend for breakfast and for food. Be prepared to wait though.Special Features:
- I was given the run a round.TheWifeDined on 8/17/2014I wanted to take my husband somewhere special for his 50th birthday. I made reservation online to guarantee a table. I called the restaurant to see if they could get us in earlier than what was available online. I was told yes and she changed it to 5:30pm. It's a good thing I called to confirm the time change because there was nothing in the system. We wasn't too happy about it. Harrimans was booked solid so we kept the original time 9:45pm. We got a call from the restaurant at 8:45pm saying they could get us in at 9:00pm. Couldn't make it. Everyone kept telling me to make sure they know it's my husband's birthday, because they take care of you. Right! I think the staff was ready to go home! Needless to say my husband wasn't impressed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is a major issueGPVDinnerVIPDined on 8/17/2014Even though I have read poor service reviews on this place I decided to give it a try since we were staying overnight at the resort. Appetizers are great, main courses ok and desserts bad (look terrific though but poorly executed). Service, however, is absolutely poor. It took almost one and a half hours to get one main course and another extra 15 minutes to get the missing one. Steak was over cook, so had to be returned. Desserts were also late and one was missing. Unless you tell staff what you are missing they simply have no idea. If you are wondering the restaurant was perhaps at 60% capacity, thus you can't blame on a busy night. Certainly not the kind of place you expect at a luxury resort.
- Still room for improvementWine4DaysDined on 8/17/2014This was my 2nd visit to Harrimans. We were seated promptly however It took a lot longer than I expected for a server to come and introduce herself (5-8 mins). The issues that existed with the food during the first visit almost 10 mos. ago still remain. The ingredients of the dishes alone are fresh and flavorful, but when combined together in a dish, the flavors are just all over the place. The menu lacks the option for a simple, good dish. There is nothing that makes me fantasize about coming back for more, and every good restaurant I frequent has that something. I (or my date) have had the caesar salad, shrimp and grits, filet mignon, salmon - lackluster. As the guest at the table next to us said - food is good, just discombobulated...Special Features:
- Nice Setting - Terrible FoodLCL1Dined on 8/15/2014We dined at Harriman's while staying at the Salamander. It is 1of only 2 food options on site so unfortunately, guests don't have much choice. The service was fine but the food was over-engineered, all over cooked and memorable for the wrong reasons. Everything was way over salted (and I like salt) to the point of being inedible. The chef took tried and true menu items like a caprese salad and ruined them - by adding flavors that just don't work together. Then topped off by 2 overcooked steaks left us wishing we had opted to go in to town for dinner. We were offered a free dessert for the steak mishap which was nice but it too was also very underwhelming. Chocolate cake I could have made at home with over-herbed ice creamSpecial Features:
- great restaurantNotTooPickyEaterDined on 8/15/2014the food was delicious and the service was great. The restaurant has nice view to enjoy the natural beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super experienceDiningDivaDined on 8/8/2014We spent the weekend at the Salamander resort to celebrate our 22nd anniversary. We dined at Harriman's for Friday dinner and Saturday breakfast, and thoroughly enjoyed both meals. The wait staff were very professional and proficient. Our entire experience at the resort was amazing- we didn't know we could become so relaxed in such a short time, but they treated us like royalty and left nothing to want for. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Can't wait to return.OBXDinerVIPDined on 8/3/2014We had a great experience at Harrimans. The food was very good. My husband had a delicious pasta dish and I had the salmon. Both were cooked perfectly. The service was also outstanding. Everyone we spoke to was very professional and friendly. The purse stools were an unexpected touch.Special Features:
- GreatRavenTroyDined on 7/20/2014Harrimans was Great, the food was good too. The service would have been 5 Star except our waiter did not inform us that they had run out of baked potatoes and that he had substituted potatoes au gratin until our meal was served (although the manager did come over to inform us and check on us)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerJackVIPDined on 7/20/2014We started with a delicious salad which had the best mozerella we have ever had--really quite different and delicious. We both great filets with fresh aspargus and great spinach. !9 layer cake for dessert as well as chocolate mouse made for a great finish to an excellent dinner. Service likewise was was great! Very attractive restaurant with a nice view of the nearby area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration DinnerNana52Dined on 7/19/2014From our greeting, to our seating, to our service, to the food and beverage... our Anniversary dinner was FABULOUS! Anyone in the Middleburg, Va are should plan to share a meal at Harrimans Virginia Piedmont Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meals, long wait for food.BillBDined on 7/13/2014Breakfast and dinner were well prepared and wait staff, fine. But, the kitchen took a long time to prepare both meals.
- Overpriced BrunchMcLeanDined on 7/13/2014We wanted this restaurant to be excellent because it it is in a gorgeous facility and a beautiful Middleburg setting. Unfortunately it wasn't. At $40 for the buffet brunch food, the food was mediocre at best. The only tjing tvat was good was the omelette, which was prepared by a charming young man. It seemed that they were short on kitchen and wait staff. Two of our party ordered ala care, and it took 45 minutes for the food to be delivered. We were so disappointed because it could be a charmer with its loaner reading glasses and purse benches and gorgeous vistas from the windows. I'll return for a 2nd chance.Special Features:
- Worth the tripOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014Celebrated daughter's bday dinner at this wonderful resort dining room.Service,food,ambience all exceptional.Every detail has been thought of in the planning the resort.Decor blends horsey culture with clean lines adding a contemporary feel.Strolled around the culinary garden & barns followed by terrific drinks in the handsome bar start the evening with a relaxed atmosphere.Very tasty Caesar salad(even ate the mild, white anchovies),gnocchi apps delicious;lamb chops superb,swordfish nicely prepared;glitch with overly cooked porterhouse for 2,was immediately acknowledged by server & rectified along with 2 bowls of gratis cucumber soup while waiting.Potato gratin side amazing;kale tasty;usual mac&cheese.Limoncello "candy bar" refreshing.Special Features:
- FAMILYDined on 7/12/2014Our server, "Tony", was very professional, personable and knowledgeable. Harriman's should do anything to keep him on staff.Special Features:
- Credible1credible1VIPDined on 7/6/2014Given all of the press attention attending the grand opening some time ago I was looking forward to an exceptional experience. What we found instead was an unpretentious atmosphere with a comfortable dining room, welcoming service and good food.Special Features:
- Good but working out kinksCapHillSophiaDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I dined at Harrimans as part of a weekend at the Salamander Resort. The setting is lovely, however service was spotty and entrees were less than perfect. I gave feedback to the chef (who was a relatively new arrival) on site as he was out and about in the dining room talking to customers which was nice--he was thankful for honest feedback. Unfortunately, both of our entrees were not cooked properly--my filet was overdone and my husband's lamb was undercooked. Given the prices, I would expect perfection from these two orders. Our sides were very nice, as was the layered mint chocolate cake, but not great enough to overcome the disappointing entrees.Special Features:
- Country retreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/29/2014The Resort & Spa is nestled just north of the center of Middleburg. There is a lot of room and the scenery and grounds are very nice. The restaurant was rather hidden and if you didn't know where it was you would have to ask. The decor was country, but I thought the tables were too big for any kind of intimacy. I had the brunch and the taste and textures were wonderful. The warming trays could have kept the food much warmer. The waffles were cold until the hot syrup was added, then they were better. The staff was very friendly. My issue is that it didn't live up to the expectations I had before arriving.
- RosefRosefDined on 6/28/2014Specifically asked for a table away from traffic, preferably a window table (made reservations two weeks in advance- our wedding anniversary). Got a table next to a service stand. Asked for a window table (there were many empty tables in the restaurant); Got a window table with direct sun which was blinding; asked that blinds be lowered so I could see, was told that the blinds were only decorative and not functional; never offered to seat us at another window table; with so many empty tables available, we were placed in between two other tables, which made it difficult to hold a conversation. In spending $450 for dinner for two, expect better treatment. Kept us from fully enjoying dinner. The rest of service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Dinner in the country.EZdinesoutVIPDined on 6/28/2014We had a wonderful experience! Food was great, notably the lobster hollandaise, Burrata salad w/ 18 year old balsamico & lamb lollipops. Lots of vegan selections. The S'Mores for 2 at the fire pit is a great feature! Extensive wine list (over priced & limited selection of half bottles) with a Sonoma Zinfandel for $6 a glass! Friendly, helpful, knowledgeable staff. The manager stopped by & spent a lot of time with us & others. I am interested in trying their Tuesday "Yappy Hour" (you can even take your dog on vacation here) & cooking demonstrations. It is a beautiful resort. There was a white tie wedding dinner on the lawn while we were there. Riders on horseback added to the ambiance. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Truly a memorable dinnerBywayzDined on 6/22/2014Lovely room, great serviced and the food was truly top notch. Four in our party -- and each rated the dinner as one of the best we can remember. Entrees and desserts were in the excellent category.Special Features:
- The following 101 reviews are from the Harrimans Virginia Piedmont Grill reviews archive.