122 N. Main St
Suffolk, VA 23434Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.harperstable.com/
- Phone: 757-539-2000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Harper Bradshaw
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Harper's Table
Located in the heart of Downtown Suffolk, Harper's Table offers an approachable and refined experience. hT has been crafted from a love for hospitality, food and wine. The food is inspired by the seasons and the South. Wonderfully spaced throughout with a cocktail area, main dining room, booth seating and private dining for up to 25 people. Design is accented with American lumber and a turn of the century mural discovered during renovations for the restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Harper's Table - Best Restaurants in Suffolk ›
Harper's Table reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (39)special occasion (36)fit for foodies (32)notable wine list (19)romantic (17)good for groups (11)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Perfect Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We were looking for something out of the main stream of restaurants we usually go to in Norfolk and Va. Beach. Suffolk is a 30-minute drive, but Harper's Table was worth every mile. The bar provided tasty cocktails with interesting local names for their drinks, the service was the best I've experienced in quite some time and the food was absolutely amazing. Everybody should check out Harper's Table. This is one of Hampton Road's true hidden treasures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suffolk GemFoodRaveDined on 8/26/2014The food was equally wonderful to eat and to look at. I would recommend it to anyone who is seeking a southern dining experience but with an original flair for ingredients, preparation, and presentation. My duck breast was perfectly cooked (not easy with this dish). The presentation, with wild mushrooms, nectarine slices, and a great sauce, was beautiful. My Wife and I shared an order of hush puppies served with a smear of butter and sorghum molasses. We ordered a dish for the table (easily enough for 2 or 3) which was a beautifully prepared spinach dish with chiles (a hint of spice). The waitress was knowledgable of the menu and provided good service without "hovering". Although somewhat of a splurge for us, we will definitely return.Special Features:
- Southern Specialsvabeach1Dined on 8/22/2014First time visiting this very nice downtown Suffolk eatery. Worth the visit. Took a visiting northerner with us. It was fun to see her puzzle over some of the dishes offered that she had never experienced. Good food and well presented. Service was excellent. Will visit again in the future.Special Features:
- Good Night With FriendsenjoydineDined on 8/16/2014Good food,Good service.Good wine,Good deserts,Second time dining and consistant good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We have eaten here maybe about 5 times & each has been amazing! The food & service are some of the best around! Suffolk is lucky to have a restaurant like this because no other city around has anything that comes close to this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!JanandJimmyDined on 8/15/2014Had "date night" there recently and the place NEVER disappoints! Food is always fresh, seasonal and exceptionally prepared. Wait staff is friendly and very knowledgable about the menu. Chef Harper even visited our table. We've been several times and Harper's Table is consistently great! Will be returning again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HUGE surprise! Fantastic!!TreyDined on 8/15/2014This should be in a big city, and has the most fantastically crafted food with the most unique combinations you'll ever find. It is a hidden GEM in downtown Suffolk, and should be the best of the best for years to come. The service/servers are above & beyond, simply put. One hand behind the back when they pour water, but conversation is personal and ridiculously friendly! They're 100% professional and 101% friendly. AND they are on the BALL when you need something. Price is averaged around $25-30(?), but worth every penny. Dress is semi-casual, but if you wear a suit/tie, it's perfectly acceptable! MAKE THE TRIP! We WILL be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maureeninvirginia1VIPDined on 8/2/2014Food was terrific! Southern favorites done superbly! Great spoon bread and very tender flounder! Another in our party had a soft shell crab taco and was also super! Will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Rural Location, Big City FlavorsMommyNeedsMoreCoffeeDined on 8/2/2014My family has eaten at Harper's Table several times. The food has been extraordinary every time. Every detail is perfect. The decor is beautiful and well thought out. The service is solicitous and friendly. Just perfect. We have lived all around the world and eaten in many outstanding restaurants; Harper's Table ranks in the top three. Outstanding. (Make sure someone in your party gets the rib eye. And if it's offered, be sure to get the cornbread pudding for dessert :-)Special Features:
- Our 2nd visitKevin108Dined on 8/1/2014The food was just as mind-blowingly delicious as the first visit. Hopefully next time we'll even bring some friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great special night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Harpers Table lived up to and then exceeded its reputation! It is a great dinner spot with a delicious menu! Thanks for bringing this type of dining experience to Suffolk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eats in SuffolkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014My husband and I had the pleasure of dining at Harper's Table Saturday evening. The menu is adventuresome, featuring local fare combined in interesting ways. The service was excellent. Our server was pleasant and knowledgable about the menu. I was disappointed in the wine selection. It was large, but featured only 2-3 Virginia wines. The drink selections were fun, I enjoyed a Moscow Mule served in a copper mug. We would definitely return the Harper's Table, however, the prices are high enough that we would only go for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food4KMsDined on 7/26/2014Went with a group including kids. We all left extremely satisfied with our meals and desserts. Looking forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food good prices!ladyluDined on 7/24/2014The restaurant is so cute inside! I was so looking forward to the oyster platter I saw online but sadly it was taken off the menu. Opted for the clams instead and they did not disappoint. The pork belly biscuit was on the small side but it was so damn good. We tried a blue crab salad that was one of two additional appetizer specials that night and it was fresh and delicious. I thought it was strange there was no main course addition but i ordered the scallops and was very pleased. However my boyfriends pork BBQ was dry and not very good. Chocolate panna cotta with PB ice cream was awesome! Overall it was a great experience great service by Heather and the prices were def reasonable!Special Features:
- Farm-to-tableFriendsandFondueVIPDined on 7/24/2014Great place. If you are into the farm-to-table movement, this place is for you! Service and food were very good. I had a chance to see the kitchen and it was spotless and well organized. You could tell the chef was in charge and it showed in the kitchen and in the food. They offer a great selection of no-traditional dishes and sides. Plenty of room and great for having a dinner party.Special Features:
- Consistently wonderful!DebbieVIPDined on 7/12/2014Food and service best in Hampton Roads! Also the award winning "Tidewater" drink was absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- Suffolk's DiamondChef2BeDined on 7/8/2014Harper's Table is an excellent restaurant with outstanding service. While a little pricier than other local restaurants, the food is gourmet and worth every penny. The ambiance makes for a perfect night out with someone special. I have personally visited with Harper Bradshaw the owner and it is apparent he is passionate about serving great food and making the customer feel at home. His desire to have a cohesive team that provides genuine hospitality is apparent in the freshly made dishes when they arrive at your table. The staff is knowledgeable of the menu - both food and drinks and they offer great advice on the days selection. I hope you get a chance to enjoy this diamond tucked away in Suffolk.Special Features:
- Swamp Country SurpriseGenieDined on 6/28/2014The old market and peanut town of Suffolk, close to Dismal Swamp, harbors an outstanding restaurant, Harper's Table. The menu features fish, pork (the pigs liked the peanuts), and other straightforward local specialties, but exquisitely prepared. Soft shell crab tortilla, tender baby back ribs, braised, herbed spinach -- all wonderful. The wine list is manageable (one page) but includes any number of well chosen, seldom seen selections in a range of prices. We found and relished the Kermit Lynch Bandol. And dessert -- we chose mixed berry crumble with ice cream -- lived up to the meal. Off the beaten track, for sure, but we will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bartender Rocks!!!DjennDined on 6/25/2014My husband and I went for our anniversary and were waited on by the bartender. We found out that she personally had a hand in creating some of our favorite drinks on the menu. She offered to make us drinks based on what we liked, so we have her brief descriptions of our preferences and she came back with two AMAZING drinks. Otherwise the food and service were exceptional, as always. The Earl Grey tea ice cream for dessert was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinner first time hereWinterdaughterVIPDined on 6/13/2014Found this restaurant on open table to try for my birthday. Lovely spot in downtown Suffolk. Walked in at 730 on a friday night. The noise was a bit overwhelming. We were seated quickly in this old renovated building. The air conditioning was a bit much, blowing right on us. The booths looked better. The hostess was nice and our waitress was great. Tried the deviled eggs and hushpuppy appetizers. Delicious. My husband enjoyed his steak-cooked to order-I had the flounder which was okay but the spoonbread was way too salty and not so good. The french fries were really good too. For dessert we had the strawberry crumble which was gorgeous-warm with vanilla ice cream.Special Features:
- KattDined on 5/29/2014A group of us went for dinner. We had the back room to ourselves, it was great. The waitress was very knowledgable about the menu items. The grits were outstanding!Special Features:
- Lovely eveningWineauDined on 5/22/2014We especially loved the décor/ambiance of Harper's Table, and our server (Reagan) was delightful. The fish was fresh, delicious & well prepared, but the highlight was the cornbread & fresh butter, served in a round on a small wooden block.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceDWarrenRMcPhersonDined on 5/7/2014Took my Mom on Wednesday for an early Mom's Day Dinner, and, as always, food and service were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 234 reviews are from the Harper's Table reviews archive.
- Back Home in SuffolkfatandhappyDined on 4/26/2014My daughter read the recent news article about Harper's Table and asked to visit when she came home. My mother had also expressed interest but doesn't drive downtown at night. So it worked out that all of us could try it out last weekend. I asked for a quiet section as my mother has trouble hearing and we were seated in the back dining room which was just the right noise level for her. We ordered cocktails, wine, oysters, dinners, and dessert. Quite a smorgasbord, but we were pampering the "foodie" in us. Everything was delicious. We even met some old friends which just added to the ambience. All of us plan to visit again, and are looking forward to trying all of our second choices.Special Features:
- NothinglikegoodfoodDined on 4/23/2014Went for a business dinner...it was my first time but others had previously been...I was a bit nervous because I am all about food! Not only was the atmosphere warm and inviting with a unique industrial look and fixtures --even the ladies bathroom painting was lovely...But the food was right on the mark...the portions perfect...lots of variety...but not over-the-top. The staff was so accommodating and you just felt they loved what they did and where they were working... I am definitely returning -- as often as I can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceGoodeaterDined on 4/19/2014Harper's Table is one of the best restaurants I've eaten at in a long time. From the greeter, to wait staff, chefs and the owner, Harper, everyone have us a warm welcome! The food was amazing. The pork belly sandwich and oysters on the half shel were fantastic. Our meals were cooked perfectly and the portions were perfect. That was the best pork chop I've ever had! I went to dinner with my dad their this time and can't wait to take my wife for her to enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2014We both had the Virginia Flounder with spoonbread - perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned, and the spoonbread was delicious. We started with the Oyster Board - I loved, loved, loved the roasted oysters, and the fried oysters were very good. I'm not a raw oyster fan, so my husband enjoyed two of those - very much. The wine we selected for our meal was a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, perfect with our meal and well-priced. We also enjoyed the sides; we opted for the spinach and the mushrooms. The service was friendly; the oysters took a little longer than expected, but that was the only time we felt we were waiting at all. The ambience is great. I like it when I can hear my dinner partner across the table.Special Features:
- one night in suffolkRogoDined on 4/16/2014great uraban decor. a unique find in suffolk. excellent food prep and presentation. good bar selection and unique specialty drink menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gem in SuffolkZaidowhitVIPDined on 4/14/2014Amazing food and even better service in Surprising Suffolk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!RachDined on 4/12/2014Great food! Much needed dining experience in Suffolk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/10/2014Could not have had a nicer, more personable and efficent waitress. The food was excellent. The cocktails were perfectly balanced. The art was very niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood gemMarkVIPDined on 4/10/2014Living in Chicago, you can find a lot of great neighborhood gems, but this one in Suffolk Va. is a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and Great FoodJimmyDined on 4/5/2014We have eaten at Harpers Table several times, and the food and the service are always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the RoughfirstparentsnightoutDined on 4/5/2014Harper's Table was an amazing restaurant! It lived up to it's reputation of causal fine dining. The service was outstanding and the food excellent. I would definitely recommend this place to a couple for a romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingStellaDined on 4/2/2014This little gem is perfect for celebrating any special occasion or for a great date night with your spouse. The food and service are top notch. It is our favorite go to place to bring out of town guest. All of which wish they had a place like this in their neighborhood. It is well worth the drive dr any Hampton roads or NC location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another hitTowncome2CountryDined on 4/1/2014Have eaten at HT a number of times and besides two somewhat lackluster servers in the past, and one poor menu choice on my part, this is a superb (though costly) dining experience. It is definitely the best restaurant in Suffolk; better than its also over-priced and comparable eateries Vintage Tavern and The Chop House. So if you're willing to spend that amount of money, go to HT instead. Don't get me wrong, it's not exorbitant, and the craftsmanship makes it worth spending more for unique dishes that I've found often to be some of the best if not the best meals I've ever had. But, they could stand to come in price on a lot of the items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/20/2014Went for restaurant week.. Cassoulet awesome! - Even better than I had in Carcassonne - where it was allegedly invented.. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SImply awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/19/2014Great service, delicious food and wonderful atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the best Southern Tradition.AnnieBDined on 3/19/2014Our choices for the main event, oysters and quail, were delicious, and the side dishes were downright special. How do they get so much flavor in the greens? We tried spoon bread and corn bread and grits that were a revelation. Too full for a big finish we enjoyed blood orange sorbet in a pool of house made buttermilk. Another pleasant surprise. Wonderful ingredients, skillfully prepared, served by a waitstaff that was attentive and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2014Me and my wife have been to Harper's Table about four or five times. We are never disappointed and walk away talking about when we will visit next. The servers and hosts are polite, helpful, and professional. The atmosphere is always welcoming and has a relaxed feeling. The food is always excellent, we have never had a complaint or a dish that we did not absolutely love. Great restaurant that we will enjoy visiting many, many more times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.