122 N. Main St
Suffolk, VA 23434Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.harperstable.com/
- Phone: (757) 539-2000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Harper Bradshaw
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Harper's Table
Located in the heart of Downtown Suffolk, Harper's Table offers an approachable and refined experience. hT has been crafted from a love for hospitality, food and wine. The food is inspired by the seasons and the South. Wonderfully spaced throughout with a cocktail area, main dining room, booth seating and private dining for up to 25 people. Design is accented with American lumber and a turn of the century mural discovered during renovations for the restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Harper's Table - Best Restaurants in Suffolk ›
Harper's Table reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)special occasion (50)neighborhood gem (47)notable wine list (31)romantic (28)good for groups (22)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014The food was phenomenal! We will be returning without doubt! The atmosphere is great. The staff is friendly. There was not one single thing I could find as a negative. The menu is limited but is diverse enough for anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Downtown DiningLizishungryDined on 11/1/2014This was my first visit to Harper's Table. I was taking an applicant for work and it was recommended as a good choice. The service was great and they were very accommodating for my changing reservation time and group size at the last minute. I had the pork belly biscuit with pimento cheese for an appetizer. It was good but not $4 good. I will get the apple salad instead next time. My suffolk side car was delicious. I ordered the pork steak for my entree; it was beautifully served but on the greasy side. I tasted a friend's angus and it was phenomenal. When I return (and I will) I will order that instead. Another in the group ordered the lamb shank and another ordered the clams. They both enjoyed their meals. All in all a great evening.Special Features:
- excellent service and foodFunfoodieDined on 11/1/2014We were greeted warmly by the hostess, our server Christina was fabulous, and each member of our party loved the food. We love their creativity with fresh, local fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Freakin FantasticdashingdivaDined on 10/31/2014Dinner at Harper's Table was wonderful. Started out with the Sweet Onion Hushpuppies with the butter and honey, YUMMY. For supper I had the Hatteras Flounder, I must admit I was kind of skeptical about the tomato creole sauce, but after the first bite my skepticism flew out the window. My girlfriend had the BBQ plate, she threw them a curve when she asked for the BBQ sauce for the ribs as opposed to the sauce that came with the meal; the chef came out and thanked her for switching it up. Harper's Table is Suffolk's gem, we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice dining experienceBandGDined on 10/31/2014We had dinner at a very early hour; we were actually the first customers in the restaurant. We were greeted by everyone in the room and made to feel welcome. Our table service was very good; attentive without being obtrusive. Specials were explained fully and recommendations were right on. Our dinners were excellent, the wine recommendation went very well with both entrees. Dessert was fantastic - we both opted for the specials. We well return.Special Features:
- OutstandingJimmyDined on 10/25/2014We had an outstanding experience at Harpers Table. The staff is very knowledgable and friendly, the wine list and specialty cocktails are wonderful, and the food is amazing. We enjoyed fresh oysters & clams, tuna and steaks, and it was all fantastic. We will be back!Special Features:
- TheTallestLeprechaunDined on 10/18/2014I was very impressed by the quality of the food! Also, in talking with other patrons and the waitress, many of the items that were served were from local farmers.Special Features:
- An Unforgettable ExperienceharpersheavenDined on 10/18/2014Without question, this is one of the better dining experiences my husband and I have had, ever. Being a total foodie, I seek out restaurants with great research. TripAdvisor pointed us in the direction of Harper's Table, and we are glad it did! The menu was thrilling, filled with innovative, locally-sourced, thoughtfully put together meals. The Oysters with Kimchi were incredibly fresh, the Duck perfect, and the Ribs were the best my husband has ever eaten. The cocktails were creative, the service wonderful - with a friendly, sweet, not overbearing server. The atmosphere was delightful and the Manager AND the Chef both thanked us for visiting. Our thanks to them for providing us with an unforgettable dinner in a restaurant GEM.Special Features:
- Grown-ups night outKris10GDined on 10/18/2014Delicious food, worth every penny! I love the atmosphere and the fact that the staff is very well trained and classy. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harpers TableFoodZarDined on 10/18/2014A downtown Suffolk Gem! The relaxed feel of the place, the wood tables and the high ceiling. The wine list was adequate and the waitress was spot on with her recommendation. I had the duck breast, medium rare, and it was one of the best I've ever had. My wife had the flounder which was cooked to perfection without the breading. And let's not forget the cornbread and homemade butter! Delicious!!Special Features:
- Outstanding as alwaysChef2BeDined on 10/17/2014I am very selective in going out to dinner, as my preference is to do the cooking for my wife - myself. However, it is necessary to get out and enjoy the ambiance of somewhere nice once in awhile and just spend some time together outside the home. When we choose to take that night out - this is the restaurant of choice. The food is always fantastic and the staff is beyond great. I can count the number of times we have eaten out in the past year on my two hands - and Harpers Table definitely has been at least half if not three quarters of those times. Simply because they are that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food and Friendly StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014I live in Richmond and anytime I am around the Suffolk area I make it a point to go to Harper's Table. Best food from start to finish, hands down. Great bar menu, and the staff makes you feel right at home. Well worth the trip!Special Features:
- Always a Treat!JodiBDined on 10/10/2014We love going to Harper's Table for a special treat or just to sit at the bar and share some appetizers. The food is always seasonal, creative, and yummy! The staff is so welcoming and helpful. They always make you feel like they have been waiting to see you! Definitely a treat for Suffolkians.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningBuckeyeVIPDined on 9/26/2014The service, food & wine was outstanding. Very accommodating chef & wait staff; they graciously made some menu modifications for my wife, and it was prefect. Wished we lived closer than 200 miles to Harper's Table, if so we would be regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Harper's Table was recommended by one of my clients - I am a nutritionist and am interested in places which serve local and organic. We started with the cocktail of the day. Delicious! Followed by the warm olives which I could have made a meal on. I'm hooked. I chose the Flounder and my husband had the pork steak special which was so tender you didn't need a knife. Both dishes were prepared to perfection. We chose a wine which I was not familiar with however Brittany gave a very detailed explanation of the notes and flavors and we thoroughly enjoyed the bottle. Because it was my birthday, we splurged on dessert. The spice cake with apples and a port wine. The food and particularly Brittany will keep us coming back for more!!Special Features:
- An experiencefoodiecu5Dined on 9/24/2014Atmosphere was great, service wonderful, menu was great and our choices tasted like farm to table. A great asset for downtown Suffolk!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECTLwillsonDined on 9/22/2014My husband and I checked out Harper's Table for our wedding anniversary. We cannot believe we never tried it before. It has become our new favorite spot! Service was outstanding, food was cooked perfectly and the atmosphere was exactly what we wanted. I would highly recommend the duck.Special Features:
- Sophisticated food & drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014We love you Harper's Table! Amazing food, high-end cocktails, and a diverse & interesting wine list. Fabulous food & beverages, with room for all budgets. Worth the drive to downtown Suffolk! (we currently live in Norfolk).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014First time at Harper's Table. It was a great dining experience. Food and wine excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and MissFoodieAtHeartVIPDined on 9/13/2014Able to get prime reservations on a Saturday night easily. One of our party was in a wheelchair, and the restaurant handled fine. The biscuits were tiny, and not worth the $4 each, not special at all. Some of the dishes were outstanding...I had a wonderful steak, and the clams and scallops were delish. The BBQ, however, was just humdrum, the side of grits were average, the hushpuppies were good but not Out of This World. Signature cocktails were fantastic (Sidecar). The room was loud and vibrant, a definite hotspot for the younger crowd (in their 20's). Our server was a bit too eager, and continuously interrupted our conversation. Overall average to above average food, and not worth the price (80 dollars per person for our party).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedgullible1Dined on 9/13/2014Visited 9/13. Had Hatteras flounder. It came with spoonbread, which was nothing more than flavorless, soggy cornbread dressing. The flounder was about 5"x3"x1/2" tapering down in size. It was covered in unseasoned bread crumbs. My plate was beige and boring and $25. The bar area was very loud. The others at the table did not compliment their dishes, hamburger (3"x1",slightly bigger than a slider), barbecue plate, or salmon, other than my sister-in-law who said the onion (4 single-layer 1"x1" pieces) was sweet. I had heard so many good things about HT. We left hungry, disappointed and $150 lighter.
- Unrealbuccs1Dined on 9/10/2014Harper's Table is hands down one of the best places I have ever been. Everything we ate was a flavorful explosion in my mouth. We joke that the pork belly biscuits should be a meal of their own, but seriously though, those things were amazing. I got the pork ribs and my fiance got the salmon. It was over the top. HT is an excellent choice for either romantic or if you are looking for a moderately priced flavor ride to heaven.Special Features:
- A lovely birthday dinnerBobFDined on 9/6/2014We had a delightful dinner Saturday evening. The waitress was attentive, the cocktails were sublime, and the food was simply outstanding. We started with the pork belly biscuits with homemade strawberry jam. A lovely bite of deliciousness. My husband had the steak (perfectly cooked; melted in the mouth), and I had the best duck breast I have ever eaten. We finished the meal with apple spice cake, a sweet prelude to autumn.Special Features:
- JuanDined on 9/4/2014Christina was a very gracious server and we had a first class dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary dinnerJomoDined on 8/30/2014We were looking for something out of the main stream of restaurants we usually go to in Norfolk and Va. Beach. Suffolk is a 30-minute drive, but Harper's Table was worth every mile. The bar provided tasty cocktails with interesting local names for their drinks, the service was the best I've experienced in quite some time and the food was absolutely amazing. Everybody should check out Harper's Table. This is one of Hampton Road's true hidden treasures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014food was excellent, but was very noisy therefore hard to communicate with others in party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suffolk GemFoodRaveDined on 8/26/2014The food was equally wonderful to eat and to look at. I would recommend it to anyone who is seeking a southern dining experience but with an original flair for ingredients, preparation, and presentation. My duck breast was perfectly cooked (not easy with this dish). The presentation, with wild mushrooms, nectarine slices, and a great sauce, was beautiful. My Wife and I shared an order of hush puppies served with a smear of butter and sorghum molasses. We ordered a dish for the table (easily enough for 2 or 3) which was a beautifully prepared spinach dish with chiles (a hint of spice). The waitress was knowledgable of the menu and provided good service without "hovering". Although somewhat of a splurge for us, we will definitely return.Special Features:
- Southern Specialsvabeach1Dined on 8/22/2014First time visiting this very nice downtown Suffolk eatery. Worth the visit. Took a visiting northerner with us. It was fun to see her puzzle over some of the dishes offered that she had never experienced. Good food and well presented. Service was excellent. Will visit again in the future.Special Features:
- Good Night With FriendsenjoydineDined on 8/16/2014Good food,Good service.Good wine,Good deserts,Second time dining and consistant good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We have eaten here maybe about 5 times & each has been amazing! The food & service are some of the best around! Suffolk is lucky to have a restaurant like this because no other city around has anything that comes close to this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!JanandJimmyDined on 8/15/2014Had "date night" there recently and the place NEVER disappoints! Food is always fresh, seasonal and exceptionally prepared. Wait staff is friendly and very knowledgable about the menu. Chef Harper even visited our table. We've been several times and Harper's Table is consistently great! Will be returning again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HUGE surprise! Fantastic!!TreyDined on 8/15/2014This should be in a big city, and has the most fantastically crafted food with the most unique combinations you'll ever find. It is a hidden GEM in downtown Suffolk, and should be the best of the best for years to come. The service/servers are above & beyond, simply put. One hand behind the back when they pour water, but conversation is personal and ridiculously friendly! They're 100% professional and 101% friendly. AND they are on the BALL when you need something. Price is averaged around $25-30(?), but worth every penny. Dress is semi-casual, but if you wear a suit/tie, it's perfectly acceptable! MAKE THE TRIP! We WILL be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maureeninvirginia1VIPDined on 8/2/2014Food was terrific! Southern favorites done superbly! Great spoon bread and very tender flounder! Another in our party had a soft shell crab taco and was also super! Will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Rural Location, Big City FlavorsMommyNeedsMoreCoffeeDined on 8/2/2014My family has eaten at Harper's Table several times. The food has been extraordinary every time. Every detail is perfect. The decor is beautiful and well thought out. The service is solicitous and friendly. Just perfect. We have lived all around the world and eaten in many outstanding restaurants; Harper's Table ranks in the top three. Outstanding. (Make sure someone in your party gets the rib eye. And if it's offered, be sure to get the cornbread pudding for dessert :-)Special Features:
- Our 2nd visitKevin108Dined on 8/1/2014The food was just as mind-blowingly delicious as the first visit. Hopefully next time we'll even bring some friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great special night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Harpers Table lived up to and then exceeded its reputation! It is a great dinner spot with a delicious menu! Thanks for bringing this type of dining experience to Suffolk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 246 reviews are from the Harper's Table reviews archive.
- Good eats in SuffolkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014My husband and I had the pleasure of dining at Harper's Table Saturday evening. The menu is adventuresome, featuring local fare combined in interesting ways. The service was excellent. Our server was pleasant and knowledgable about the menu. I was disappointed in the wine selection. It was large, but featured only 2-3 Virginia wines. The drink selections were fun, I enjoyed a Moscow Mule served in a copper mug. We would definitely return the Harper's Table, however, the prices are high enough that we would only go for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food4KMsDined on 7/26/2014Went with a group including kids. We all left extremely satisfied with our meals and desserts. Looking forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food good prices!ladyluDined on 7/24/2014The restaurant is so cute inside! I was so looking forward to the oyster platter I saw online but sadly it was taken off the menu. Opted for the clams instead and they did not disappoint. The pork belly biscuit was on the small side but it was so damn good. We tried a blue crab salad that was one of two additional appetizer specials that night and it was fresh and delicious. I thought it was strange there was no main course addition but i ordered the scallops and was very pleased. However my boyfriends pork BBQ was dry and not very good. Chocolate panna cotta with PB ice cream was awesome! Overall it was a great experience great service by Heather and the prices were def reasonable!Special Features:
- Farm-to-tableFriendsandFondueVIPDined on 7/24/2014Great place. If you are into the farm-to-table movement, this place is for you! Service and food were very good. I had a chance to see the kitchen and it was spotless and well organized. You could tell the chef was in charge and it showed in the kitchen and in the food. They offer a great selection of no-traditional dishes and sides. Plenty of room and great for having a dinner party.Special Features: