Harper's Restaurant and Bar
92 Main Street
Dobbs Ferry, NY 10522Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Harper's Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.harpersonmain.com/
- Phone: 9146932306
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Vergara
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Harper's proud to offer both on-site and off-site catering and event planning. No event is too large or too small. Weddings, Bar & Bat Mitzvahs, showers, birthday parties, Christenings, 1st Communions, holiday parties, corporate functions.
- Private Party Facilities: Harper's offers a semi private dining area and Patio that can be reserved for private events. The dining area is perfect for birthdays and intimate gatherings, while the patio is an ideal location for mingling with guests and enjoying the weather.
- Private Party Contact: Justin Montgomery 8663501531
- Entertainment: Live Music. Please call for details.
A word from Harper's Restaurant and Bar
Harper's Restaurant & Bar is a contemporary interpretation of the American Tavern offering refined food in a casual, rustic setting. A throwback to simpler times with a modern reworking of fresh American food. Harper's is committed to sourcing and using fresh, local, and seasonal ingredients whenever possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Harper's Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 17, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)great for outdoor dining (18)fit for foodies (17)great for brunch (11)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (7)good for groups (5)romantic (5)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Service was a DisastertendroffrVIPDined on 9/5/2014My wife's burger, ordered to be medium well, came out rare. When the server took it back, it took several minutes before the waitress came over. Her answer was this "that is how WE make it medium well." Well I can only say we were amazed at her lack of concern for the customer. She didn't even apologize and when I asked if she had seen the middle of the burger she replied that she had not. Then the waitress asked my wife if she would like another glass of wine so my wife asked if the house was buying and she said "no, I just wanted to see if you wanted another glass." When the manager finally brought it back he says "I hope this is to your liking" as if they hadn't made the mistake in the first place. No apology at all.
- It's Dobbs FerryOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/22/2014It's not Brooklyn...it's Dobbs Ferry and their NYC pricing needs to be revisited. Service was attentive. Food was good. Crispy pork confit appetizer was a delight and the roasted chicken was moist and well seasoned. Papparedelle was ok but pasta was a bit too dry and clingy and not saved by a decent meat ragu. OK but pricey wine selection for the choices. Wine is a cash cow so I never quite understand why restauranteurs try to squeeze out more than what's reasonable. When you know something is a $14 bottle and it's priced in the $40s -arghhh! Drop prices across the board and watch diners flock in in bottles being uncorked. It's Dobbs Ferry!Special Features:
- Nice Suprise!knowgoodfoodVIPDined on 8/2/2014Had a nice brunch. Food and Service was good and the staff was especially friendly.Special Features:
- AvajDined on 7/29/2014service friendly, food very good, nice choices, outdoor dining lovelySpecial Features:
- nice add to neighborhoodvjoneVIPDined on 7/27/2014Menu could have a little more variety. It could benefit with different dishes on different days. The bar has plenty of spirits and more cocktail, specialty drinks would be great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlbllVIPDined on 7/27/2014Loved the market salad...best ever esp the walnuts and beets...hamburger was fresh and cooked perfectly....fries the correct amount of salt.service was friendly..greatly appreciate the efforts.Special Features:
- This restaurant was outstanding!deejayDined on 7/19/2014We took our son there for his 21st birthday and the food was absolutely amazing! The choices were so interesting and very well prepared. We had never been to Dobbs Ferry before and I would go back just to have another meal at this restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu being tweakedjbpd333Dined on 7/12/2014Several menu items were unavailable leaving limited options. Went with the burger which we enjoyedSpecial Features:
- RapaDined on 7/5/2014As a burger lover I can say that Harper's burgers are probably the best I have ever had! Very good cauliflower appetizer. Nice pub-like atmosphere for both couples and families.Special Features:
- River Town GemrivertownfoodieDined on 6/25/2014Harper's is an incredible restaurant - a place where you will find excellent (eclectic) cocktails, wine, and beer and a great "farm to table" menu. The owners and staff of incredibly friendly and make you feel at home. Great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Top notch food with outdoor diningnynativeDined on 6/14/2014Had a wonderful meal in their outdoor patio. Service was lovely and the food was among the best I have had in Westchester. The indoor area was not as user friendly as the outdoor space. It was showing its wear. But for an outstanding meal, outside in the beautiful weather, Harper's delivers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie from TarrytownTarrytown14Dined on 5/31/2014The food is amazing - bold, vibrant, flavorful and inventive yet still classic and unfussy. Our enjoyment of it, however, was seriously compromised by the noise level, especially the music blaring out of the speakers, which we were seated directly under, in the back room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair to good.JoJoDined on 5/30/2014Food was good bug it was extremely noisy. Service ok but nothing special. Not worth it overall.Special Features:
- MediocreKitKatDined on 5/24/2014It was a lively scene, a bit noisy so hard to hear. The service was very good but the food was over priced for what it was, nothing special.
- The following 286 reviews are from the Harper's Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- BlbllVIPDined on 5/17/2014Great hamburgers...cooked exactly right..juicy and tasty...super fries not over salted..Special Features:
- Come againFood4thoughtDined on 5/16/2014This has become our to -go place, when we are in the mood for uncomplicated, yet a bit more upscale dining experience. The food has been consistently good. Occasionally they have the little extra on the menu, which feels a bit forced, but the base is solid. Some appetizer specials fall in that category. We usually avoid them. The bar is well stocked and fun.Special Features:
- Our Favorite RestaurantMumuVIPDined on 5/16/2014We love Harper's and have seen it improve over the years. The food is fantastic, and we are discerning customers. The other night we had the special halibut and it was better than most meals at some of the most expensive, NYC, restaurants. The chef has refined his nuanced creativity and the food gets better and better. We also love The Cookery and love sitting outside at The Red Hat for a burger. But, food wise, this place is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaVIPDined on 5/10/2014Enjoyed my second Harper's experience but note sure I'll race back- primarily because of the noise. The food is interesting and tasty, the service friendly and the atmosphere is Rey casual but cool. Unfortunately you have to shout for your friends top hear you
- Nice little find in the areacityslickerDined on 4/27/2014Discovered this place through Yelp's deal. Was very pleasantly surprised by the food. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Bad Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/25/2014Harper's is normally one of our favorites. We live in town and have dinner there at least once a month. They have always struggled a bit with consistency, but last Friday was the worst. First, our drinks were forgotten by the waiter, but we really did not mind. We reminded the hostess and they were quickly brought. Appetizers were tasty. But then an 1h passed; no food. The waiter appeared to avoid us. I signaled him several times. Finally I asked the bus boy to get him. He said he will check; after 30 more min the meal arrived: overcooked spaghetti and snapper which was a tiny tail cut of the fish and had mostly dark flesh which is inedible. It was bland, served with a salad,no carb. I left hungry and annoyed. Won't be back for a while!
- Pretty GoodDFDinerDined on 4/23/2014Last night the food was very good for my date and just ok for me. However, on all previous visits I have raved about the meals. Also, service is hit or miss. When I dined there with a friend who is a frequent guest, the service was attentive and personal. When dining with other newbies, the results have run the gambit from attentive to absent, friendly to apathetic. But the Wine is a always delicious. And I keep trying them again (4times so far)Special Features:
- Nice addition to the neighborhoodChappaqua5423VIPDined on 4/21/2014Dined at Harpers on a Monday night -- and it's a great addition to the neighborhood. Started with a cheddar and apple salad -- delicious and a very large portion. Had spaghetti with roasted cauliflower which was terrific. My husband polished off his fluke. Service was a little too prompt-- would've liked to relax a little moreSpecial Features:
- delicious and uniquepikyeaterDined on 4/20/2014We really enjoyed all aspects of our brunch from the variety of bloody Mary's to the amazing foods. The flavor was so powerful that we felt satisfied yet not full. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harper's delightFood4thoughtDined on 4/19/2014We spend an evening with friends and were happy to be there. The food was ver good, a little on the heavy side perhaps, the chicken liver was a little too buttered for my taste, but overall delicious. We know the place for a while and love to sit over a glass of wine in the little outdoor garden in the back. Indeed, it's a neighborhood gem. Reservations are recommended, the place fills up quickly. The lively atmosphere lends itself to group outings or family brunches. It's to be expected to be loud. I would love to see more dairy and gluten free dining and desert options. Also, no soy milk for coffee, a pity!Special Features:
- InconsistentADYMVIPDined on 4/19/2014I've had great. Earls here but this wasn't one. My shrimp appetizer was off, the fish I had was greasy and I think undercooked skate isn't pleasant.
- Great food, casual atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/17/2014We started with the carrot appetizer, apple-cheddar salad, and a special appetizer of soft cheese with pistachios and honey. Everything was really delicious, especially the special, which was divine, and the carrots, which were a surprising mix of flavors that worked well together. We all had the fish dishes and loved them. I'm not really sure what was in my skate, but the sauce was so different and delicious. The chocolate chip bread pudding for dessert was so yummy!! We sat in the front, so I didn't see much of the restaurant, but there didn't seem to be much atmosphere. Our waiter was nice and helpful.Special Features:
- eftihiaDined on 4/5/2014Very good food- not just well prepared but creative too, very comfortable vibe , stylish but relaxedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fail to have a good time hereShepherd190Dined on 4/5/2014Harper's is consistently excellent. Their food is always inventive and fresh and wonderfully presented. The bartender is one of those guys who knows that drink mixing is an art and takes inordinate care with the cocktails he prepares. We've eaten there with groups, as a couple and with kids. We even had a birthday party there - they are always wonderful to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!FoodLoverDined on 3/30/2014This place was great. The menu is interesting, the food is good, service was good. We had 6 people for brunch. Everyone seemed to enjoy the food.Special Features:
- Great eveningjfb3Dined on 3/19/2014I loved this restaurant. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. Great place to go out for a nice evening close to the waterfront.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/19/2014Enjoyed Harpers. A little noisy and quite dark. I had a delicious salad of brussel sprout leaves. The grilled calamari (i left off the fennel) was also very well made and full of flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is better than the servicejst123VIPDined on 3/15/2014We have been to Harper's several times and always enjoy our meals. However, the service is not as good as the food, which leaves us feeling a bit unsatisfied. The drinks at the bar are weaker than one would expect at a restaurant like this, and when ordering a second round from the table, it took a really long time for them to come. Our server didn't know much about the specials, and seemed annoyed when we asked her questions about it. Nice and comfortable space, though really loud in the room when it's crowded.Special Features:
- CONSISTENTLY GREAT!WestchesterFoodieVIPDined on 3/15/2014I've eaten here over a dozen times in the past year. It has never failed to impress. I have tried most of the menu and many specials and have never been disappointed! The Thursday, Friday and Saturday mixologist, Clark, is a real plus for an already special restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pay Attention!SalVitroDined on 3/14/2014I recently had dinner with my wife here. We arrived a bit early, so we had drinks at the bar. Of note, the bartender was very professional and was great at recommending drinks. The barrel aged cocktail was one of the best cocktails I have had in quite some time. We were seated at our table and a waiter came over and took our drink orders. We just wanted a bottle of sparkling water. Then another waiter came over and took our drink order. The 10 mins later, no water, but another waiter came over and asked us for our drink order. We finally get our water. We place our orders for appetizers and mains. Long story short, the food was rather bland, and the waiter forgot multiple items from our order. Overall, good drinks, bad service.Special Features:
- Not quite what we were thinking...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/11/2014Harpers has all the look of a great restaurant--the atmosphere is clean and modern and the service is great. The food, though, leaves something to be desired, especially for the price. We ordered off the restaurant week menu and the appetizers were great--cheddar and apple salad and the chicken liver. Entrees were a little rough. The short rib was really fatty and the duck had the texture of fried chicken.
- Solid FindCherikee90Dined on 3/7/2014Harper's has a solid menu of good bites. No matter your taste, there is something for everyone. The only draw back is that the menu is somewhat limited which means it may be a one-trip restaurant. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed the food andMSHUDined on 3/1/2014Really enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Worth the trip!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood FavoriteHikes4FunDined on 2/23/2014Things we like: Old style taverns with great food. A carefree and easy tavern ambiance with plenty of elbow room and decidedly good food. We were there for Sunday lunch and were not sure what to expect from the modest exterior, but the interior was simple, charming and relaxing. The menu was interesting leaning to old favorites like (Crouques Madam, Vegetable Frittata, Bibb Salad and Eggs Benedict). The bread was delicious, hinting at better things to come. And everyone exclaimed on their first taste of the food. Another lesson that fresh ingredients, well prepared and properly seasoned go a long way. Something is very right with the Chef. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this restaurant, andFerryDined on 2/22/2014We love this restaurant, and had a great meal. A few nits, there were two large parties in the back room, so we were seated near the door, which was rather drafty as folks entered and left. Service was superb. I had the short ribs; there were very tastey, but very fatty. I could not eat about 25% of same because of the fat.Special Features:
- Rushed to order, slow to deliverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014We were pushed to order entrées at the same time that we ordered appetizers, yet it took a very long time for any if the good to be delivered. And there were not many people in the restaurant at the time, even though it was a Saturday night. The food and drinks here tend to be excellent, but they really need to work on timing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.