Harper's Restaurant and Bar
92 Main Street
Dobbs Ferry, NY 10522Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Harper's Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.harpersonmain.com/
- Phone: 9146932306
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Vergara
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Harper's proud to offer both on-site and off-site catering and event planning. No event is too large or too small. Weddings, Bar & Bat Mitzvahs, showers, birthday parties, Christenings, 1st Communions, holiday parties, corporate functions.
- Private Party Facilities: Harper's offers a semi private dining area and Patio that can be reserved for private events. The dining area is perfect for birthdays and intimate gatherings, while the patio is an ideal location for mingling with guests and enjoying the weather.
- Private Party Contact: Justin Montgomery 8663501531
- Entertainment: Live Music. Please call for details.
A word from Harper's Restaurant and Bar
Harper's Restaurant & Bar is a contemporary interpretation of the American Tavern offering refined food in a casual, rustic setting. A throwback to simpler times with a modern reworking of fresh American food. Harper's is committed to sourcing and using fresh, local, and seasonal ingredients whenever possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Harper's Restaurant and Bar - Best Restaurants in Dobbs Ferry ›
Harper's Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (26)great for outdoor dining (19)great for brunch (12)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (11)notable wine list (8)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (7)romantic (5)special occasion (4)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Great food, Underwhelming ServiceCaraVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food, cocktails, wine, and beer we had here were all wonderful. Special praise for the grilled calamari! Everyone loved their meals. The decor and energy of the place was also great. The only thing that was not stellar was the service. Our waiter could not have been less enthusiastic if he tried. He was not bad, but his attitude took away from the experience a little bit. If you don't end up with the same waiter we did, I think you'd love it.Special Features:
- Cool neighborhood placeJackCJRDined on 10/14/2014Went on a quiet fall Tuesday. Staff was into food and your dining experience. Loved the energy and the thought behind the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off Day?LiveToEatDined on 10/12/2014As always, the food was delicious. We had the Croque Madame (outstanding!), frittata, and chocolate chip bread pudding pancakes. Even the coffee was wonderful. Unfortunately, our waitress seemed disinterested in us, and it detracted from the overall experience. We were one of only 2 tables filled in the restaurant at an early brunch time, so the lackluster service seemed especially odd. This is not the norm for Harper's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/8/2014Visiting town from LA & Phoenix. Wonderful find! Food & service were exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but clueless service.PivinDined on 10/4/2014While serving good food, the hostess at Harper's did not seem have our (OpenTable) reservation, nor did she pay attention to my seating request. Drinks took forever to get, with one drink served 10 minutes before the others "so the ice would not dilute it too much." Meanwhile, we are all waiting to have our drinks at the same time. Not to mention that I did not get the Scotch brand I ordered and one gigantic ice cube took up half the glass. The beer menu is not just unusual, but weird with a hardly a recognizable product, nor did the waitress instill much confidence when recommending beers. the wine listm however, is traditional.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our meal/ so-so serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/27/2014This "pub" looking place puts out very good food. Sitting on the outside patiio, the specials menu tilted toward fall -- pork porterhouse with red cabbage and apples; brisket with fennel and pumpkin, steamed clams in beer with smoked ham. All delicious. The usual menu items were available with good pasta dishes, fish, soups and salads. We really enjoyed our meal. Downside -- a professional but incredibly overwhelmed waitperson. Might be the street festival outside the restaurant affected staffing. We were never checked on and it took a very long time to get the check -- we gave up on ordering dessert. However, I will return, hoping the service is better and the food remains excellent.Special Features:
- SteveDined on 9/19/2014My wife and I especially liked the trout entree, which was very tastefully grilled. The mushroom toast appetizer was a bit too sweet.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DishesL727VIPDined on 9/19/2014Everything we ordered from the appetizers to entrees were delicious. The food was fresh, tasty, and unique. Great date night drive out of the city!Special Features:
- consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014Have dined at Harper's many times. A comfortable place where you can have a conversation The food is always really good. It has maintained its quality and is a good as ever.Special Features:
- A neighborhood gemdwershDined on 9/14/2014Great food and beer/wine selection. Careful attention to detail. One of the best restaurants in the River Towns area. Outdoor area was really comfortable - service was friendly and attentive. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Service was a DisastertendroffrVIPDined on 9/5/2014My wife's burger, ordered to be medium well, came out rare. When the server took it back, it took several minutes before the waitress came over. Her answer was this "that is how WE make it medium well." Well I can only say we were amazed at her lack of concern for the customer. She didn't even apologize and when I asked if she had seen the middle of the burger she replied that she had not. Then the waitress asked my wife if she would like another glass of wine so my wife asked if the house was buying and she said "no, I just wanted to see if you wanted another glass." When the manager finally brought it back he says "I hope this is to your liking" as if they hadn't made the mistake in the first place. No apology at all.
- It's Dobbs FerryOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/22/2014It's not Brooklyn...it's Dobbs Ferry and their NYC pricing needs to be revisited. Service was attentive. Food was good. Crispy pork confit appetizer was a delight and the roasted chicken was moist and well seasoned. Papparedelle was ok but pasta was a bit too dry and clingy and not saved by a decent meat ragu. OK but pricey wine selection for the choices. Wine is a cash cow so I never quite understand why restauranteurs try to squeeze out more than what's reasonable. When you know something is a $14 bottle and it's priced in the $40s -arghhh! Drop prices across the board and watch diners flock in in bottles being uncorked. It's Dobbs Ferry!Special Features:
- Nice Suprise!knowgoodfoodVIPDined on 8/2/2014Had a nice brunch. Food and Service was good and the staff was especially friendly.Special Features:
- AvajDined on 7/29/2014service friendly, food very good, nice choices, outdoor dining lovelySpecial Features:
- nice add to neighborhoodvjoneVIPDined on 7/27/2014Menu could have a little more variety. It could benefit with different dishes on different days. The bar has plenty of spirits and more cocktail, specialty drinks would be great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlbllVIPDined on 7/27/2014Loved the market salad...best ever esp the walnuts and beets...hamburger was fresh and cooked perfectly....fries the correct amount of salt.service was friendly..greatly appreciate the efforts.Special Features:
- This restaurant was outstanding!deejayDined on 7/19/2014We took our son there for his 21st birthday and the food was absolutely amazing! The choices were so interesting and very well prepared. We had never been to Dobbs Ferry before and I would go back just to have another meal at this restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu being tweakedjbpd333Dined on 7/12/2014Several menu items were unavailable leaving limited options. Went with the burger which we enjoyedSpecial Features:
- RapaDined on 7/5/2014As a burger lover I can say that Harper's burgers are probably the best I have ever had! Very good cauliflower appetizer. Nice pub-like atmosphere for both couples and families.Special Features:
- River Town GemrivertownfoodieDined on 6/25/2014Harper's is an incredible restaurant - a place where you will find excellent (eclectic) cocktails, wine, and beer and a great "farm to table" menu. The owners and staff of incredibly friendly and make you feel at home. Great atmosphere.Special Features:
- The following 290 reviews are from the Harper's Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- Top notch food with outdoor diningnynativeDined on 6/14/2014Had a wonderful meal in their outdoor patio. Service was lovely and the food was among the best I have had in Westchester. The indoor area was not as user friendly as the outdoor space. It was showing its wear. But for an outstanding meal, outside in the beautiful weather, Harper's delivers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie from TarrytownTarrytown14Dined on 5/31/2014The food is amazing - bold, vibrant, flavorful and inventive yet still classic and unfussy. Our enjoyment of it, however, was seriously compromised by the noise level, especially the music blaring out of the speakers, which we were seated directly under, in the back room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair to good.JoJoDined on 5/30/2014Food was good bug it was extremely noisy. Service ok but nothing special. Not worth it overall.Special Features:
- MediocreKitKatDined on 5/24/2014It was a lively scene, a bit noisy so hard to hear. The service was very good but the food was over priced for what it was, nothing special.
- BlbllVIPDined on 5/17/2014Great hamburgers...cooked exactly right..juicy and tasty...super fries not over salted..Special Features:
- Come againFood4thoughtDined on 5/16/2014This has become our to -go place, when we are in the mood for uncomplicated, yet a bit more upscale dining experience. The food has been consistently good. Occasionally they have the little extra on the menu, which feels a bit forced, but the base is solid. Some appetizer specials fall in that category. We usually avoid them. The bar is well stocked and fun.Special Features:
- Our Favorite RestaurantMumuVIPDined on 5/16/2014We love Harper's and have seen it improve over the years. The food is fantastic, and we are discerning customers. The other night we had the special halibut and it was better than most meals at some of the most expensive, NYC, restaurants. The chef has refined his nuanced creativity and the food gets better and better. We also love The Cookery and love sitting outside at The Red Hat for a burger. But, food wise, this place is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaVIPDined on 5/10/2014Enjoyed my second Harper's experience but note sure I'll race back- primarily because of the noise. The food is interesting and tasty, the service friendly and the atmosphere is Rey casual but cool. Unfortunately you have to shout for your friends top hear you
- Nice little find in the areacityslickerDined on 4/27/2014Discovered this place through Yelp's deal. Was very pleasantly surprised by the food. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Bad Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/25/2014Harper's is normally one of our favorites. We live in town and have dinner there at least once a month. They have always struggled a bit with consistency, but last Friday was the worst. First, our drinks were forgotten by the waiter, but we really did not mind. We reminded the hostess and they were quickly brought. Appetizers were tasty. But then an 1h passed; no food. The waiter appeared to avoid us. I signaled him several times. Finally I asked the bus boy to get him. He said he will check; after 30 more min the meal arrived: overcooked spaghetti and snapper which was a tiny tail cut of the fish and had mostly dark flesh which is inedible. It was bland, served with a salad,no carb. I left hungry and annoyed. Won't be back for a while!
- Pretty GoodDFDinerDined on 4/23/2014Last night the food was very good for my date and just ok for me. However, on all previous visits I have raved about the meals. Also, service is hit or miss. When I dined there with a friend who is a frequent guest, the service was attentive and personal. When dining with other newbies, the results have run the gambit from attentive to absent, friendly to apathetic. But the Wine is a always delicious. And I keep trying them again (4times so far)Special Features:
- Nice addition to the neighborhoodChappaqua5423VIPDined on 4/21/2014Dined at Harpers on a Monday night -- and it's a great addition to the neighborhood. Started with a cheddar and apple salad -- delicious and a very large portion. Had spaghetti with roasted cauliflower which was terrific. My husband polished off his fluke. Service was a little too prompt-- would've liked to relax a little moreSpecial Features:
- delicious and uniquepikyeaterDined on 4/20/2014We really enjoyed all aspects of our brunch from the variety of bloody Mary's to the amazing foods. The flavor was so powerful that we felt satisfied yet not full. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harper's delightFood4thoughtDined on 4/19/2014We spend an evening with friends and were happy to be there. The food was ver good, a little on the heavy side perhaps, the chicken liver was a little too buttered for my taste, but overall delicious. We know the place for a while and love to sit over a glass of wine in the little outdoor garden in the back. Indeed, it's a neighborhood gem. Reservations are recommended, the place fills up quickly. The lively atmosphere lends itself to group outings or family brunches. It's to be expected to be loud. I would love to see more dairy and gluten free dining and desert options. Also, no soy milk for coffee, a pity!Special Features:
- InconsistentADYMVIPDined on 4/19/2014I've had great. Earls here but this wasn't one. My shrimp appetizer was off, the fish I had was greasy and I think undercooked skate isn't pleasant.
- Great food, casual atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/17/2014We started with the carrot appetizer, apple-cheddar salad, and a special appetizer of soft cheese with pistachios and honey. Everything was really delicious, especially the special, which was divine, and the carrots, which were a surprising mix of flavors that worked well together. We all had the fish dishes and loved them. I'm not really sure what was in my skate, but the sauce was so different and delicious. The chocolate chip bread pudding for dessert was so yummy!! We sat in the front, so I didn't see much of the restaurant, but there didn't seem to be much atmosphere. Our waiter was nice and helpful.Special Features:
- eftihiaVIPDined on 4/5/2014Very good food- not just well prepared but creative too, very comfortable vibe , stylish but relaxedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fail to have a good time hereShepherd190Dined on 4/5/2014Harper's is consistently excellent. Their food is always inventive and fresh and wonderfully presented. The bartender is one of those guys who knows that drink mixing is an art and takes inordinate care with the cocktails he prepares. We've eaten there with groups, as a couple and with kids. We even had a birthday party there - they are always wonderful to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!FoodLoverDined on 3/30/2014This place was great. The menu is interesting, the food is good, service was good. We had 6 people for brunch. Everyone seemed to enjoy the food.Special Features:
- Great eveningjfb3Dined on 3/19/2014I loved this restaurant. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. Great place to go out for a nice evening close to the waterfront.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.