Harold And Belle's Creole Restaurant
2920 W Jefferson Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90018Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Harold And Belle's Creole Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.haroldandbellesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3237359023x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30AM - 4:00PM,
Dinner: Sunday - Thurdsday: 4:00PM - 10:00PM,
Friday - Sunday: 4:00PM - 11:00PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Ryan Legaux
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Harold & Belle's can provide off-site catering customized to your specific event. We can also bring our Food Trailer to you. For more information please contact Sean Cunningham, our Special Events Manager.
- Entertainment: Monday night Live Music from 5-10pm
- Special Events: 45th Anniversary ALL YOU CAN EAT BLOCK PARTY. Saturday, July 5, 2014 from 12:00pm - 6:00pm. Live Music, and Entertainment, $5 drink specials! Laissez bon temps rouler!!!
***The event takes place outdoors. There is no re-entry or food to go. Seating is first come first serve.
A word from Harold And Belle's Creole Restaurant
Harold & Belle"s is Los Angeles's premiere Creole dining experience. Family owned and operated for over 45 years, the restaurant has received numerous awards for its southern style cooking. Specialties include File Gumbo, Crawfish Etouffee, Jambalaya, and Fried Seafood. Come hungry because Harold & Belle's is known for serving up generous portions. A full bar is also available as well as mouthwatering desserts such as Louisiana Bread Pudding and Peach Cobbler. We also have Happy Hour daily from 4-7pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Harold And Belle's Creole Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Harold And Belle's Creole Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (7)special occasion (6)great for lunch (6)fit for foodies (5)romantic (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- OverAll a Great Upscale Creole spotClentBowersReviewsFoodDined on 10/7/2014This used to be the best kept secret in town- a wonderful upscale family run-for generations-Creole-American restaurant. Huge portions of very good food. However on my last few visits some of the portion sizes have diminished. For instance, I love the jumbo fried shrimp dinner or the jumbo fried shrimp salad (no longer on the menu- but you can ask for it). I remember a huge pile of whole shrimp now they limit it to six and cut them in half to make it look like more...not the same and crab cakes were mostly meal & filler. But chicken-wing app -huge as was the salad. Fish & steaks - excellent, gumbo and jambalaya also very tasty. Big corn on the cob, red beans & rice, cabbage the works & lots of fresh garlic toast. Service always 1st ClassSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern SoulFatGirlSlimVIPDined on 9/14/2014I've been to this restaurant multiple times in the last 15 years and the menu is still the same. Fried chicken, fried fish, rice and heavy sauces. Time for a change, time for some lighter options like grilled fish, greens, ligther starches, salads with something more interesting than a house. The drinks are still strong and the bread is still crispy and buttery! Definitely appreciate the many years of servicing the community, just need some upgrades to the menu keeping the same old school classics and its all good..Special Features:
- Shirley's BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014We had a nice time. The food was enjoyed by most of my party. Serving are large and almost everyone had a to go bag.Special Features:
- First timerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Everything was great although I prefer my fish not cooked so done because it gets hard when reheatedSpecial Features:
- Try the Crawfish EtoufeeNikkiDined on 8/30/2014Crawfish Etoufee was amazing. Perfectly seasoned with the right amount of kick. Portions are decent sized for the price. The gumbo was alright. The sausage had a texture to it that was unfamiliar to me. Still, seasoned well. I am sure my boyfriend enjoyed the leftover. Only complaint- the table bread could be better. Could definitely pass on that. But that's not why I was there so i live. Would go back to sample other entrees.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBigDerek75VIPDined on 8/24/2014Came here quite a few years ago and the food was really good. Came back this past weekend and it seems like the mighty have fallen. The chicken was re-fried and the beans that accompany the Jambalaya were very bland. And the place looks dated. Time for renovations.
- Birthday CelebrationwendyDined on 8/16/2014We went to this old standby for my favorite Fried Chicken & Shrimp/crawfish etofee. I've been visiting there for the past 25 years and other than 1 time always had exception food. service was great, Mocha served us! the food was good but seem to be alittle not up to normal standard for the chicken & etofee, even my daughter mentioned that. BBQ gulf oysters were the bomb! Still would go back, sometimes they are off most times they are on.Special Features:
- Great Food; Questionable ServiceGuardian82Dined on 8/1/2014To begin, the food was phenomenal! We were greeted by a very friendly hostess who happily explained the history of the restaurant and what they're known for. Then we waited...and waited...and waited. It must have been more than 10 minutes before our waitress came to take our order. Once we ordered, our food took a long time to reach us. I ordered a Coke and my salad made it to the table before my Coke did. When the food did arrive, it was VERY good! The wait staff was very friendly, but exceedingly inattententive. Slowest service I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do Not Go to this placeFoodie1975Dined on 7/26/2014I selected this place to celebrate my best friend's birthday because open table suggested it. we walked in everyone looked at us (they were all Afro-Americans) made us wait after our reservation time and the place had plenty of tables. Food quality is just "BAD" we acknowledged on open table and to our server we were celebrating a birthday and the did "NOTHING" I ordered the shrimp appetizer ($15) I got served Costco quality frozen shrimps. we asked for coffee at the end and we were told 'IS NOT FRESH DO NOT ORDER COFFEE HERE" we asked for the chocolate dessert server was honest and said "its nasty frozen chocolate cake" do not order that. our check was $159 for 3 main courses and one appetizer.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Food is always amazing.. But this time there was hai r in mysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 126 reviews are from the Harold And Belle's Creole Restaurant reviews archive.
- **Phenomenal Creole Cuisine**HRHBiancaDined on 6/15/2014My sister and I decided on Harold and Belle's for Father's Day and we are thankful we did! For starters, we ordered the fried oysters and crab cakes. Both were delicious. The crawfish etouffee was amazing! The bowl was full of plump craw fish and seasoned to perfection. My dad and sister raved about their "Shrimp Ryan" and shrimp scampi entrees. The manager, Sean, suggested we try the bread pudding. We were full, but he won us over with his description of this decadent dessert. It is absolutely hands down the BEST BREAD PUDDING ON EARTH! Thank you Sean! We will be back!Special Features:
- An LA IconLAfoodloverDined on 6/15/2014An all-star Cajun restaurant known to generations of Los Angelenos. Best food and service at very reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/20/2014Food is moderately priced but the portions are hugeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite L.A. ResturantSoGoodDined on 5/17/2014Frim my first time visiting in 1987, Harold and Belle's has been my favorite resturant in L.A. Whenever I am in town itbis a must that I get some food from there. Portion sizes are great. You can feed two people from one meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of LA in LAWinghopDined on 5/10/2014LA, as in Louisiana, is the home of Creole/Cajun cuisine. LA, as in Los Angeles, is the home of Harold & Belle's, the undisputed home for this type of food outside its home state. The flavor of the food, service and presentation, and family-friendly ambiance of this place make it an absolute destination every time you get a fix for the finer side of delta cooking. All of the dishes are prepared with care. The ingredients are all selected to be the finest and tastiest specimens. In over 20 years dining here, the flavor has never varied, nor have they had a single bad day. The bar is also a good scene. It's intimate (tight) but the drinks are made generously, as the perfect complement to the amazing food.Special Features:
- Long time favoriteE2E4UDined on 5/10/2014When you need the gumbo or seafood fix Harold & Belles is your Los Angeles spot. It's a Los Angeles institution!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't worth itNoSoupForUDined on 4/27/2014This was our first time at Harold and Belle's and we both were disappointed. Although they gave you TONS of food, I felt that it was overpriced and the taste wasn't as good as I was expecting either. It was blah. Although the staff was very friendly and nice, the service was SUPER SLOW - which surprised us seeing as though the restaurant wasn't that crowded. All in all, we left unsatisfied and disappointed.
- Great food!FoodieDined on 4/26/2014This is the first time I've been back in about 15 years; I went with 3 friends who had never been- all foodies. The food was excellent; almost like being in New Orleans. Peach cobbler- fabulous! Service was good, however, drinks were s l o w in arriving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverPricedJaeFoodieDined on 4/21/2014Food does not meet the standards of the menu pricing. $25 for 1/2 chicken? Really? Server was ok but the live music was extremely loud and gave us a headacheSpecial Features:
- WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014Trenton was very nice. Great service. Restaurants need more like him.Special Features:
- Long time customerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/14/2014Short of going to Louisiana Harold and Belles is the spot.Special Features:
- Great food as usual. I hadMPSmithDined on 4/10/2014Great food as usual. I had the lobster scampi. The service was slow. This is not the first time that service is slow. We love Harold & Belle's but the service staff spend as much talking to their peers as they do taking care of the customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food & service. LookOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/11/2014Fabulous food & service. Look forward to returning for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been dining at HaroldOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2014I have been dining at Harold and Bells occasionally for years. The food wasn't as good as I remember from previous visits, which is the reason for the "fair" food rating.Special Features:
- Australians are LOUD!etreezeDined on 3/8/2014I brought a long time business associate from Australia to Harold's and Belle's because he's expressed an interest in trying soul food. Having grown up coming to Harold's and Belle's , I knew this was the best place to giving then a taste of my culture. Everything was delicious! The portions were huge. And our server Stephanie , was incredible. The atmosphere was loud but colorful. My friends will definitely have a great story to tell about a wonderful evening when they get home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and food was excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014Service and food was excellent! I will be going back again.Special Features:
- resting on their laurelsJamesVIPDined on 2/27/2014I've been to this restaurant many, many times, both to eat in and to take out. The food has become mediocre and the service indifferent. My gumbo was watery with inedible crab, and the étouffée was mostly beans, without that thick seafood roux. The caesar salad didn't have a hint of garlic or anchovy. The fried oysters though were delicious.Special Features:
- Good as always!Tdr2014Dined on 2/22/2014Had a great time. Love the food been coming here for years!Special Features:
- Nasty service! Get it together!!!JetSettinDiVaVIPDined on 2/15/2014We had an 8:45pm dinner reservation. When we arrived, we were not greeted. An older lady was standing there; she wore a black suit - salt & pepper bobbed cut. She kept her eyes downward, facing the computer screen. Instead of welcoming us, she asked in a sarcastic tone, how can I help you"? I told her we had a reservation. She tried to act as if she couldn't locate it. Finally, she told us there'd be a 20 min freakin wait, that we could sit in the lounge if we wanted. Her nasty attitude made me want to walk right back out of the restaurant, but my fiancée was craving their catfish, so we stayed. Once seated, we waited another 20 min before a server acknowledged us. The nasty tap or perhaps the food sparked a stomach virus the next morning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service please!rnbiiiDined on 2/15/2014I had a 6pm reservation and didn't get seated until 35 minutes after expected time. In addition to that, a couple of parties that arrived after me were seated before mine. When I inquired I was greeted with an insincere apology and the person I spoke to tried to place blame and say she wasn't there long and asked if I was checked in. After finally being seated it took a while to receive service and food didn't arrive to the table until 715 for a 6pm reservation.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beB52girlDined on 2/12/2014Long time patron. Went for birthday dinner and was disappointed. Subtle changes to menu, food & presentation have major impact. Shrimp scampi used to be served with an amount on the shrimp and the rest on the side. Now its all dumped on the shrimp. It's too rich for that. House salad used to contain the freshest and most crisp ingredients; now its just okay. Our server was good but overheard another diner complaining about watching others being served and not receiving service. Hostess lacked enthusiasm. Restaurant displayed high standards for many years, but not now. Not coming back anytime soon.
- The service was great, theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/5/2014The service was great, the waitress was very good and attentive to our requests. The only issue was the table, and the surroundings, there were so many people with very loud conversations a few times my sister and I had to raise our voices to be heard. Other than that everything was really great. It was a great deal of food and I could not eat it all but that is usual with any sized platter if you add a salad.Special Features:
- Friendly People!ForrozVIPDined on 2/1/2014I had been wanting to try this restaurant for years. I think my expectations were high. It was good but very pricey. Huge quantities of under seasoned food. Nice people, happy to help but not the service found in restaurants of this price range. Crab cakes were excellent! Everybody should try this restaurant at least once and decide for yourself. It is a neighborhood favorite!Special Features:
- Still Pretty GoodcoastallifeDined on 1/28/2014I have not been here for a few years. They still do a bang up job on fried foods. They still give you enough to take home for lunch the next day. They have scaled back on their menu offerings. It is not like before, but still good for the most part.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing its charm!foodtravellerDined on 1/4/2014I've visited this restaurant on several occasions and I must admit that my last visit the food was sub-par! The fried fish was greasy and the fries tasted like fish. I sent the meal back and the staff apologized repeatedly. The shrimps were good, the greens were overcooked, the shrimp scampi was oily. By the end, the entire meal was less appealing; however, the margarita was good. This gem has lost its luster! Needs revamping and a new cook!!!!!!Special Features:
- Handsdown the best CreoleSistaLynnVIPDined on 11/3/2013Handsdown the best Creole Seafood Restaurant Ever!!! Nice waitess and waiters!!! Great Service!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harold and Belle's is the best !tootooDined on 10/31/2013As always Harold and belle's delivered . The food was excellent the service was great our waiter was outstanding . I took my husband to celebrate his birthday and everything was delicious. We couldn't even eat everything there is always soo much food !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The File Gumbo and catfishBabyblommerDined on 10/18/2013The File Gumbo and catfish were outstanding on Friday night. We were seated as soon as we arrived. We were entertaining out of town guests and they enjoyed their meals too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always PleasedMsblcDined on 9/22/2013Food is good and plentiful portions. I will always return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious gumbosLarabaraDined on 9/21/2013I had the salmon and roasted potato salad, which was good, but not as good as my dining companion's gumbo trio. This place makes great gumbos, and I'm definitely coming back for that.Special Features: