Harlow's Fine Cuisine and Crafted Cocktails
31111 Rancho Viejo Rd.
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675Neighborhood:
San Juan Capistrano
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Harlow's Fine Cuisine and Crafted Cocktails
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.harlowscuisine.com/
- Phone: 9492408100x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Monday~Friday 3:00pm-7:00pm
Dinner Service: Monday~Saturday 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Closed on Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Aaron Anderson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Menus, Room Photos and Descriptions at: www.harlowscuisine.com
- Entertainment: Live music Friday and Saturday 7:00pm-10:00pm
A word from Harlow's Fine Cuisine and Crafted Cocktails
Harlow's is a collective blend of old school and contemporary styles. The décor is a rich and elegant throwback to 1800’s Europe or New Orleans. Our Craft Bartenders will dazzle you with their vast knowledge of spirits & cocktails from the prohibition era, to the most cutting edge trends in mixology. They pride themselves on using only house-made, organic, syrups and mixers. Our Chef designs seasonal menus, focused on sustainability and naturally produced foods. We source all of our meats, seafood and produce from environmentally conscious purveyors. All consumables are GMO, Anti-Biotic and Hormone Free! Our menu changes often to ensure the freshest and finest ingredients, so stop in often to see what new decadence our Chef has created! We regularly offer gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and vegetarian options. Feel free to reference our website for dietary inquiries.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Harlow's Fine Cuisine and Crafted Cocktails reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (12)romantic (8)special occasion (7)notable wine list (5)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Best Bread Ever!GrocDined on 8/30/2014This was our second time dining at Harlow's and loved it again. They offered a nice, light and very flaky stonefish as their fish this time. It was served over a green pee puree with tempura cauliflower. My husband had the 6oz filet. Beautifully done to order. We also shared a side of new potatoes. They were colorful, bite-sized potatoes that paired nicely with the filet. We started with the Mediterranean flatbread appetizer. All the vegetables were very fresh and there were plenty of them. Plan on sharing this with another person. Service is spot on. Never ran out of water and our Server made sure everything was done to our liking. And seriously, the bread is great! Small warm loaves of the best bread ever.Special Features:
- Food awful. Cocktails fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/15/2014It's really too bad that the entrees are so overpriced for what you get. The food is just not that good but priced like a five star. The cocktails however are fabulous! We recommend cocktails and appetizers and forget the entrees. Rib eye over cooked and too fatty. Seabass unrecognizable in small hunks mixed in with cauliflower. Hamachi was warm and had a siracha sauce that overwhelmed the sashimi flavor. Bad combination. But... The dates were yummy, the brusselsptouts too. The Moscow mule with homemade ginger beer in copper cup and hand stuffed blue cheese olives in an icy cold martini almost make up for overpriced inedible entrees.Special Features:
- SJC class with tasteTCRhinoDined on 8/9/2014From the food through the ambiance, Harlow's is a wonderfully subtle but vibrant experience with it's beautifully appointed decor, amazingly attentive, pleasant staff and extraordinarily plated and delicious food this IS gem. GO!Special Features:
- Great placeRedODined on 7/25/2014We have been to Harlow's a few times and are never disappointed. Absolutely love the calamari, brussel sprouts and flatbreads. Service is terrific. Decor is fun. Highly recommend the place, especially if you are in South Orange County.Special Features:
- a Gorman havenDEECHDined on 7/19/2014Everything was extremely fresh and visit rant. The bit of mint in the tuna tartare was subtle, surprising a d welcome. Prime rib cap was the best beef I've had in 30 years. Totally A-Plus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local gemEBirdyDined on 7/9/2014I don't know why my other foodie friends hadn't told me about this place. Farm to table concept, with most of the food sourced right in San Juan Capistrano. They make their own syrups etc for the cocktails and they were excellent. Very good service, attentive but discreet. My only quibble was the waiter might have told us it was half off bottles of wine at the time my girlfriend said she wanted a glass, and not after she'd already gotten it. We never made it to the main course - too busy enjoying appetizers. Very cute ambiance, romantic and intimate. I will definitely return. Not a low cost meal but the quality and service were there. Four apps, 2 cocktails, 1 glass of wine and 1 bottle (half off) was $150 with tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harlows for next Group Gathering!WorthHavingVIPDined on 7/2/2014Dinner at Harlow's on a Wednesday night, great service, mediocre Mule (don't bother ordering it, really), good wines by the glass list. Started with Calamari - good not great, and pork, burratta and peaches (peaches & pork) - FABULOUS! Moving on to expensive entrees, we had steaks (very good meat, and cooked exactly to medium-rare. My hamburger, also cooked to medium, was good not great, it really needed something and the tomato relish isn't it. Dessert Beignets and home made Hazelnut Ice Cream (and fudge sauce to die for) was excellent. We split 2 orders among 6 folks, all good. So come for appetizers and dessert, that's my advice. Expensive, so order carefully!Special Features:
- Last minute surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Finally something close to Ladera that we can frequent. Got a table late Saturday night and we were able to enjoy the live music with our meal. The filets were incredible and a nicely priced bottle of Silver Oak was a pleasant surprise. The bar looked like a fun crowd and we plan to come back for drinks during the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 6/27/2014I thought the food was good, service good, but the wine list very weak and expensive. I feel I paid a premium price for a below average glass of wine.Special Features:
- Gianni MGianniDined on 6/17/2014Very good restaurant. Very good setting. The salmon was excellent and so the wine. We had dinner for a special occasion and it was a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemGrocDined on 6/7/2014This location doesn't look like much from the outside. But the inside is warm and tastefully done. But come for the food. My husband had the sturgeon and was blown away. He had never had sturgeon before and didn't really know what to expect. What he got was a beautifully prepared piece of white fish that instantly turned him in to fan. I had the chicken and was not disappointed. Great cocktails. I'm a fan of the Cosmo and my husband had the Gin Lane. Both were excellent. Our only issue was the music. We checked their website for the start time for Sat evening and made our reservation accordingly. Unfortunately, the gentleman started 45 minutes EARLY! Very disappointing because the noise level went up immediately. Sadly we didn't linger.Special Features:
- WORTH A TRYDINERDined on 6/6/2014Our 1st visit to Harlows on a Friday evening. Interesting that the restaurant was nearly empty tho, between 7-10:30pm. Very impressive food; fresh & innovative. Mediterranean Flatbread & Peaches & Pork are worth trying. The Rack of Lamb is one of the best around, perfectly cooked. Pork Chop & Roasted Chicken were very good as well. Lobster Mac/Cheese is a major disappointment; do not order;waste of $17. Wine list is disappointing if looking for a decent moderate wine. Way overpriced for the wines being served. This would keep us from coming back, as we usually order 1-2 bottles at dinner. Not worth paying $78.00 for a $25.00 bottle of wine. Service was adequate, if not a bit pushy. Not everyone wants to dine & leave in an hour.Special Features:
- First time was a charm2aboutUVIPDined on 5/29/2014We had heard of Harlow's from a friend and made a reservation after missing an opportunity a few weeks before. We had an early meal and there were few in the restaurant which was unsettling but Dan our server was able to really spend time with us and he was fantastic. I'm not a foodie but I like good food and expect it to match the price I'm paying. After being disappointed when ordering rack of lamb many times over the years I was hesitant when the server recommended it but said yes based on his description. I can honestly say this was up there with the best I have ever had. The coffee rub was amazing, quantity was generous and there was no fat. I would recommend Harlow's to about anyone and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome :-}OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/25/2014Just a perfect dinner, Annmarie was awesome at the bar and the food was great, will be back in next time we are in South OC!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 74 reviews are from the Harlow's Fine Cuisine and Crafted Cocktails reviews archive.
- Wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014We celebrated Mother's Day early on Saturday at 4:00 pm - we had the entire restaurant to ourselves, and as a result had wonderful service and a delicious dinner. We were 6 folks - each of us had something different and it was all prepared beautifully and we had a terrific meal. When we arrived, we were greeted warmly by the front desk staff, and the bartender (frederico?) was very hospitable. We ordered Kir Royales and had the rack of lamb, the sturgeon, the filet, the calamari, the flatbread, two fine wines (sauvignon blanc and a malbec), and finished dinner off with the beignets and the cheesecake. Coffee was delish too - served in a French press. We will definitely come back and will recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2014We love this place and will be back soon. I sure hope they do holiday brunch more often it was perfect for us.Special Features:
- ConsistentCharlieDined on 4/14/2014Once again, an incredible meal. Had a business dinner on a Monday night. The place was slow but I guess it is slow on Monday nights everywhere. Easter week probably did not help. This worked to our favor. The filet is the best cut of meat I have ever had. I can understand why it is only 6 ounces. It is far too good to take leftovers home to the dog.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decline in serviceunicornDined on 4/14/2014Our server that evening was entirely unacquainted with the wines available. He couldn't remember what was available by the glass or recommend a particular wine. He had a heavy accent and was difficult to understand, but all he seemed to know about the wines was their price (and that was useful). The food was just mediocre. Quite a change from the last time I was there for lunch.
- Quite good - will definitely returnFinefoodieVIPDined on 4/11/2014Music in the smallish bar area, which had a lively crowd. Waiter was attentive but maybe a touch overzealous on his descriptions of menu items. Chicken and pork chop were very good. Appetizer flatbread was also tasty. Only downside is that it is in the parking lot of a strip mall, which lends itself to zero views or exterior seating. Hope this place makes it because they are doing a lot of things right.
- Good spotChuckFromOCVIPDined on 4/5/2014We enjoyed dinner at Harlow's. Everything we ordered (party of 4) was good, not great, but good. Ditto for the service. Our server was very polite and knowledgeable, but the service was a bit slow. I would recommend the seafood, as both dishes ordered at our table were very good. The flatbread was good also, although it was a bit too thin for my taste. The pork chop I ordered was a bit tough and dry (overcooked.) The drinks were a bit on the high side, ditto for the corkage ($20 a bottle.) We enjoyed the experience once, but probably won't visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good first visitstanDined on 4/5/2014Trief for the first time with party of four. Bread excellent. Steak very good. Burgers very good. Fries excellent. Desserts very good. Service was lacking. Waiter very cordial but unattentive and forgetful. Would definitely go back. Really good neighborhood spot.Special Features:
- Harlow's was phenomenal!JohnDined on 4/5/2014Came here with a party of 6 before a concert at The Coach House. Great cocktails, wine, appetizers and entrees. Phenomenal food and service. This isn't a Mastro's, but its prices aren't either. It's a great place and we had a great time. It wasn't cheap but wasn't overpriced for what it was. I wish it was closer to my home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/4/2014The bar was jumping. The food was great - we had the pork chop, rib eye and branzino. Our server was wonderful, fun, efficient and knowledgeable. We will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/29/2014This was our second time dining at Harlow's...both times were so enjoyable! Service was excellent & very attentive. Food & cocktails were delicious. We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KudosFoodie2OhDined on 3/22/2014My parents & I went to harlows on a Friday night after my parents reccomandation, at first I was hesitant ... New restaurant probably still figuring things out, maybe not however I was very impressed from the food, the pork chop w strawberry rhubarb sauce was INCREDIBLY delicious, my parents had the sturgeon and tasted amazing; to the drinks, which were to die for, the manager who was beyond gracious, professional and adorable w her pocket square reccomeded the barrel aged Roy Rob w the flambee cherry which later we found out she does in house, covenant garden for my mom and a mezcal old fashioned, that provided the icing on the cake. Professional, delicious, high quality farm2table restaurant & definitely they know what they are doing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/21/2014I don't remember our server's name, but he was so knowlegable and excited about the menu and shared all kinds of details. His attitude was outstanding, and his excitement contagious! And the food and services were also wondeful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing cocktailsPassion4wineVIPDined on 3/21/2014This place is one to the best places if not the best spot for cocktails in south Orange County. The freshest ingredients and knowledgable bartenders make your experience amazing. Great job Harlows!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/17/2014Handcrafted drink was from a bottle of Itatian soda water. Food was boring with absolutely no character. Fish was overlooked. Desserts run of the mill. Amazingly disappointing.
- Cold food, slow service and boringFoodieDined on 3/7/2014We waited for service for 15 mins. When our food arrived it was cold, except the flatbread. I wanted to love this place but it just wasn't good. The Mule wasn't good. The food was so-so. Maybe the food would have been better if served hot. The brussel sprouts were mushy. I wish there was something positive to say.
- Disappointinggobeach2Dined on 3/7/2014Upon arrival, we were enthusiastic about discovering a new local dining spot. We ordered, the food arrived----well, some of the food arrived. One member of our party was not served. We all waited for his salmon to arrive from the kitchen, until after ten minutes the rest of us began eating our dinner. A few minutes later, and still no food for our friend, we commented to a passing employee that we were still waiting. Our waiter finally arrived with the meal, and said in a snarky tone "Here's your salmon sir, and I hear that someone here has been complaining!" REALLY?? This was the last in a series of ODD comments made by the server during the evening. The food was mediocre as well. Don't bother---this pale won't be around long.
- Poker PartyCharlieDined on 3/5/2014We had a company awards dinner for a dozen people and Harlow's pulled off an incredible night. We were in their private room called the Rabbit Hole. The food and drinks were outstanding. The after dinner events were over the top. We proceeded to move outdoors for a professional poker tournament. This included their very own professional dealer, Dan the Man. We were served 25year old Scotch and cigars. Everyone that was in attendance has been requesting another night at Harlow's and a rematch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Spot in South CountyPassion4wineVIPDined on 3/1/2014If you are into amazing cocktails and awesome food then this is the place that you need to check out. They focus on making classic cocktails with classic recipes and they do an exceptional job of it. The craft beer on tap is always rotating (so you can always try something different, which I love) and the wines by the glass are great. Funny thing is I asked my friend what I should order for food (he has been there before) and he told me that nothing on the menu is bad. Well...HE WAS RIGHT! Everything from the bacon wrapped dates stuffed with blue cheese to the flatbreads to the wild boar with papperdelle pasta, english peas, wild mushrooms, in a tomato ragu was PHENOMENAL!!!! I will definitely be hitting this spot up again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoughtful,informative menuunicornDined on 2/25/2014The menus was the most informative I've ever seen, with codes telling the diner if the item contained, for example, gluten or was suitable for vegans. The chef had given new twists to standard items such as mac & cheese. Very nice variety in items listed for lunch. A group to which I belong will return there this month so we'll see if it's suitable for group dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightMichael1234Dined on 2/22/2014Great menu and the live entertainment was very good.Special Features:
- Another great experience!beebugmelDined on 2/21/2014Enjoyed another great lunch at Harlow's, brought a vendor friend this time, we both enjoyed the environment, food and the service. This restaurant and their staff is one that cares!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10 stars to Harlow'sCharlieDined on 2/19/2014We had a corporate award dinner for 10 people on a Wednesday night and it was a 10 all the way. The food, service and overall experience were absolutely incredible. Dan was our server and waited on us for over 3 hours and never rushed us. We could see that he had several other tables nearby and was quite busy. His support team was there to back him up and it was flawless. Great food with great service will be bringing us all back. Kudos to Harlow's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all about the foodSantaDined on 2/19/2014They serve fresh, local whole food, and it's delicious. A real treat for the mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply great restaurantRedODined on 2/15/2014Harlow's never disappoints. It is a terrific find in south OC. Food is terrific - especially the calamari and brussel sprouts. Couldn't recommend it more highly. If you haven't been, you must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New hot spotGeoCDined on 2/14/2014At Harlows the owner greeted us and made sure all our requests were met promptly. Our waiter Dan was spectacular and very knowledgeable and helpful on dining and wine selections. After dinner cocktails were spectacular and the live music by Zack was terrific! We will be frequenting this new neighborhood gem frequently!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harlow's is a gemLocaldiner1Dined on 2/14/2014Awesome food....ambiance .....service!!!! Perfect eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.