109 East 56th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://harlownyc.com/
- Phone: 2129356600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday- Friday 11:45am-2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday- Saturday 5:45pm - 10:30pm
Parlor: Tuesday- Saturday 4:30 - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Rick Liang
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Harlow
Harlow focuses on global cuisine inspired by flavors from around the world, the menu offers a tasteful emphasis on seafood. Dishes include: Frito Misto featuring king crab leg, calamari, scallops, shrimp and seasonal vegetables; Crispy Baby Octopus with fava beans, chanterelles and pesto; Halibut with a spicy miso glaze and squash in a smoky soy broth; Fisherman’s Stew; and a full raw bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Harlow reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (24)special occasion (22)hot spot (21)vibrant bar scene (20)fit for foodies (18)neighborhood gem (15)great for lunch (13)good for groups (10)late-night find (7)notable wine list (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- sja5963Dined on 10/8/2014Harlow is great! The decor, the food, the look, the people, all top notch!Special Features:
- HarlowmoneDined on 9/26/2014l went to harlow with my family coming from country. I was sorry too unlike the HP photo and magazines. food was not special too.Special Features:
- Harlow... a gemmidtowndiningDined on 9/18/2014Best place to stop for a early or late evening cocktail in Midtown. Classy and fun. Food is excellent with tables spaced so you can enjoy a conversation as well as enjoy the vibrant atmosphere.Special Features:
- Harlow went downhill fast!FoodieVIPDined on 9/11/2014Very disappointing! I've been to Harlow, this being my 6th dining experience. You walk into the bar and the music is so loud, you think you are in a disco. The music is equally as loud in the dining room. I took an important client here, big mistake! The waitstaff seemed to be put out with questions on the menu, if they even knew what I was asking??? What happened to the waiters with jackets? What happened to the beautiful floral arrangements? The elegant dining experience, no longer exists at Harlow.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014Lovely decor. Very special. The lunch menu is a bit limited but the food was great.Special Features:
- SuperbChoosethebestVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great food and ambiance. Just hosted a farewell lunch there. No regret.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickyDined on 8/25/2014Food was great. Fish tacos delicious much better to sit outsideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Drinks & Foodarb3nDined on 8/12/2014One of my favorite locations in Midtown, the Halibut is to die for and the Sashimi Appetizers - yam yam!!Special Features:
- Wanted to love itTheRegularDined on 8/12/2014Salad course was well prepared and flavorful. The chef suggestion for the salmon was medium rare, but it was really dry and hard on the outside and was cool and not cooked up to rare inside. It also left me with a terrible stomach ache about 2 hours later. If freshness was a concern at any point, the parfait told the whole story. It smelled like freezer burn and in a bite and I was convinced it had been sitting in the freezer for some time, instead of being made fresh. The servers were pushy with the timing of the service, the room was empty and the coffee, terrible. Though this review makes me sound picky, I'm generally quite forgiving, but unless someone overhauls the kitchen, including the chef, I won't return. No excuse in NYC.
- Lack of ambiancebas3Dined on 8/1/2014Went for lunch during restaurant week. The salad with goat cheese was not particular good. Main salmon entrée was good but the portion was tiny. Desert on the menu was substituted for a nice parfait by the restaurant. The picture on the site does not match the restaurant we were in. Main room is dark and bar like. The lighter outside space is small. Would not recommend because of the ambiance.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/1/2014My friend ordered the Hearts of Palm as her entree. The waiter said something about cauliflower but did not make it clear that Hearts of Palm was no longer an option. My friend was surprised to be served cauliflower. It was hard to get the waiter's attention although the restaurant was not busy.
- Longlegs,shortskirts,mediocre foodSI2NYCVIPDined on 7/31/2014Nice ambiance too bad Food was mediocre. Lobster Mac was tasteless and came way late. Burger was well done instead of medium rare. Bus boy shattered 4 glasses w glass landing on patron and in food. Our waiter was very nice and gave free desserts.Special Features:
- Fabulous midtown gem!59momVIPDined on 7/30/2014Was not familiar with it, but client was and recommended. Beautifully done. Food delicious and ambiance makes for a very special lunch. Thoroughly enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A menu heavy on comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/29/2014The food preparation was adequate but the menu was disappointingly heavy on comfort foods like lobster Mac & cheeseSpecial Features:
- EnjoyableDelicious1Dined on 7/29/2014The food was delicious but the portions too small. The service very slow. The ambiance is inviting and comfortable. Overall I enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingFrequentEaterVIPDined on 7/29/2014I went to Harlow for lunch during restaurant week. Service was extremely disappointing. Had to wait 40 minutes to receive salad. Literally asked 5 times for bread before it was served, with each time someone promising to bring. Finally waiter said bread not usually served at lunch, but they would bring. Strange, because other tables had bread. Portions were TINY. Not sure why restaurant participated in restaurant week if they were going to serve such small portions as to make the experience not great. Food was good, but overall experience was not great.Special Features:
- Wish I had those 2 1/2 hours backlongwaitVIPDined on 7/29/2014We sat to eat at 12:15. We ordered drinks and our 3 courses. The food did not appear until 1:40. We ordered a salad and oysters. It should never take that long to get that. Our entrees came out around 2:10 and we received the desserts after that. We left at 2:40. Not enough wait staff. The waiter was very nice but it seemed like he was serving the entire restaurant. People on other tables walked out because they refused to wait longer. If I had not made the reservation on OpenTable I would have walked out. Never again!!!
- Not impressed with FoodopeneyesDined on 7/25/2014Decided to try for restaurant week and take advantage of the special. The portion were small, but that was ok I understand it was a special. Ordered the salmon half of it was raw and the other half over cooked. The cut of the salmon was not good, 1/2 of it was the grey fatty flesh. so between the bad cooking and the bad cut, it was pretty much inedible. My husband ordered the chicken, cooked beautiful, but nothing special basically pieces of boneless chicken on a plate, no sauce, no sides, very plain. The ambiance of this restaurant is beautiful. Amazing atmosphere. But the whole purpose of restaurant week is try it out and see if you like it enough to go back and pay full price. Not sure we will.Special Features:
- Excellence place!!madame2828VIPDined on 7/25/2014Very nice restaurant, food was excellence, the only problem I had was the server tried to put me at the bar area, although I was dining alone, as a lady, I requested to have a table instead. overall, is a restaurant I will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingroseknitterVIPDined on 7/24/2014We attended for Restaurant Week. Minimal offerings, of course - but they were out of one of them, and there was just one dessert. The service was slow and poor; stressed-out servers brought out food for 2 or 3 tables at once, so they placed our dishes down and sped off to the next table without checking if we needed flatware, etc. No coffee was offered when the dessert landed on our table - we had to flag down the server to ask for some. It took two requests to get the check. Lunch took 2 hours. The space is striking but odd. I won't be back.
- Sad and DissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/22/2014Having dined at Harlow in february, I was truly surprised at how quickly this restaurAnt has gone down. The service including the bar area is so slow.....the food was mediocre not at all like I remembered. on my first visit I couldn't stop raving about the place and food now it is a different story.Special Features:
- Bad experienceNeighborhoodgemVIPDined on 7/15/2014I took my customers out of town for dinner. Big disappointment. The place was pretty empty. It took 15min to get a waiter to greet us and take our drinks order. Another 15min to receive them! Again, the place was pretty empty. We were 6 ladies, out of 6, we were able to order only 1 dish of our choice, the rest were not Avialable. I was shocked when I received my Japanese scallops appetizer- scallops were missing, only radish and cucumbers. I asked the waiter, he said, Japanese scallops are really really small, and usually the chef puts only 2 of them.This time he didn't put them at all! Overall, it's beautiful place. Coming for Mac&Cheese w/lobster and drink at the bar. The rest- it's not worth it. Overpriced not up to the standards.Special Features:
- Fantastic fish cooked and crudocb2000Dined on 7/12/2014The chef at Harlow is on his A game. Had another great meal there this weekend. Awesome. Also, one of the servers knew the history of the building when I asked, very interesting. Its a beautiful spaceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodDeborahDined on 7/11/2014Lunch was very quiet. Food was excellent. We enjoyed a long afternoon lunch and drinks.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencekadargoDined on 7/2/2014We chose Harlow for our 15th wedding anniversary dinner. Though my wife wanted to eat here, I'm not really a foodie - but - by the time our food arrived I was very pleased that we'd come to Harlow. Our waiter was great (took the time to 'get-to-know' us and talk with us about our choices) and the everything came (drinks, apps, ...) at a good pace. I was really impressed with the quality/taste of our food and the mood/feel/atmosphere of the restaurant was very good (cool history to the building too). This was our first trip to NYC - and though more than I'd like to spend - it was worth it.Special Features:
- Enjoyed Lunch On A Summer TuesdayStrategist4FoodVIPDined on 6/24/2014Enjoyed a client lunch and was pleasantly surprised with the food, atmosphere and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 112 reviews are from the Harlow reviews archive.
- Please put A Harlow in BKLYN!NYCJSGVIPDined on 5/16/2014So that I can get that cauliflower at the drop of a hat! Amazing. Halibut taco sneed to be a staple on the Sag Harbor menu.Special Features:
- amazing!iheartfoodDined on 5/12/2014Everything was done to perfection! Grilled octopus is a must try, and so is the steak...and so was the lobster mac and cheese. All the items that we ordered were so delicious, I honestly couldn't pick a favorite. The wait staff was incredibly attentive. This place goes straight to the top of my list of great restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great from start to finish8wellDined on 5/12/2014Their bread is fabulous, the wine list extensive, halibut a tad salty, but to be expected with a Miso glaze. Seafood stew was the best I've ever had- couldn't stop sopping up that sauce with their fab bread! And dessert... I'm a creme brulee expert so when I saw Pina Colada creme brulee I had to try it. Unique and Awesome. A really great experience- as long as you don't have anything important to say because it's LOUD in there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodLevny4Dined on 5/9/2014I have no complaints food was good but service should be improveSpecial Features:
- AwfulBladeVIPDined on 5/2/2014We had lunch here today. The food was awful . Little choice, cold, poorly prepared, etc. Avoid for lunch --really bad!
- ExcellentSuzyDined on 4/26/2014Every item was absolutely perfect from the spicy octopus to the fabulous deserts - and everything in between!Special Features:
- The bees knees.MesrickDined on 4/26/2014Been wanting to use that phrase and finally have a great reason to. Bar has an amazing selection of spirits although they had me as soon as they said hangar one. Good was astoundingly delicious. I literally finished every thing I order. Strozzapreti is something you need to order. The halibut was the best I've ever had anywhere and I've lived in Japan (the capital of the seafood world). Sea scallops were good as was the baby octopus. The pistachio gelato is amazing and I don't even like gelato or pistachios. Important note that if you get the churros the chocolate is pure chocolate liqueur. My girl friend and will be back most certainly once we feel like dropping a couple hundred bucks on dinner again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/26/2014Definitely check it out, especially for the ambience. Great bar, décor. Food is better than average, but not the best. Service was great.
- breathtakingkd510Dined on 4/12/2014A real find!. Architecturally beautiful. Great food and pleasant crowd. A place to be Romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!Bess8VIPDined on 4/11/2014I've been to Harlow for lunch twice recently. What a find! Gorgeous setting with some of the most delectable and perfectly prepared food I've had. And I am a very tough critic! Can't wait to try it for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Superb Dining ExperienceNandRDined on 4/5/2014The decor of the restaurant was very interesting with a pleasant design edge. It was beautifully decorated with fresh flowers everywhere. The dining room was rather loud with no sound buffers, but I presume some may find that to be a plusThe menu was very well varied, and each and every item we ordered was excellent, both in taste and presentation. Our only concern was that the waitstaff appeared to be spread too thin to really give us the best level of service they could potentially provide to their guests. From the cocktails, the starters, salads, entrees, to our desserts, they were all superb. This was a very memorable dinner with an equally memorable bill at the end. We highly recommend this restaurant if your budget allows it.Special Features:
- FantasticMikeVIPDined on 4/2/2014Great food, great atmosphere, great time! Cant wait to go back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midtown Gem!Reservation4OneDined on 4/1/2014Very elegant, impeccable service & beautiful food presentation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals we've hadReadytodineDined on 3/29/2014Everything about our meal at Harlow was fabulous. My husband and I kept saying "this is the best (fill in the blank) we've ever had". From the scallops to the branzino, to the oysters, spinach salad, cauliflower, desserts and on and on. We loved how the chef creatively leverages Asian flavors. And, all the ingredients were of the highest quality and freshness. They obviously pay lots of attention to the source of their ingredients. We want to go back and work our way down the menu. The service was perfect - attentive and knowledgeable and not hovering. And, the atmosphere is warm and welcoming and conducive to having a conversation with your dinner partner, something that can't be said about too many restaurants these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.