2153 Frederick Douglass Blvd.
New York, NY 10026Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.harlemtavern.com/
- Phone: 2128664500
- Hours of Operation:
12pm-2am Monday-Thursday, Friday 12pm-4am, Saturday 11am-4am, Sunday 11am-2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Darren Pettigrew
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music every Tuesday and Wednesday
Karaoke every Wednesday night
Jazz brunch every Saturday and Sunday
- Special Events: Book your event today-email
Open Bar packages and Appetizers platters available
A word from Harlem Tavern
Exactly what our neighborhood needs! A neighborhood bar and grille that's kid friendly(early ;) ) with amazing food, wine, beer, cocktails and atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Harlem Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
- GREATCS18Dined on 7/6/2013great food and had a good time with our group, a good place with good food and your friends and drink!Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/3/2013A little fusion jazz, good food & good drink made my 4th of July!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harlem TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/22/2013GOP drink selection, good was good, service was good, but a bit too noisy inside. Overall a good outing for our large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had a great time with myWiltDined on 6/15/2013I had a great time with my family, and the DJ was great...lets do it again.Special Features:
- The Go-To Spot for Apollo TheaterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/12/2013Harlem Tavern is fantastic for being within walking distance to the Apollo Theater. We were there with a group so we didn't mind the noise level but the noise is there. Everyone enjoyed their food and happy hour prices on our drinks, prices make it a good value for the money, and we were in and out in a reasonable amount of time. I would definitely recommend and go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly inspired for the locationUptownEaterDined on 6/4/2013We had been reading about this place since it opened but only now got a chance to check it out ... and were totally blown away. We were expecting your basic beer pub fare, but this was an inspired delight. The buttermilk fried chicken was the best chicken I've had yet in NYC, and my better half's filet was cooked absolutely perfectly. We cannot WAIT to go back and try the rest of the menu! Great beer and drinks selection, great live music, and plenty of big picnic-style tables for larger groups, too. One word of advice: avoid the outdoor tables along the perimeter. The locals don't behave and we saw a couple of tables getting harassed until management moved along the pedestrians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Wonderful!AlyPDined on 5/31/2013It was perfect! We went for dinner, sat outside, had a DELICIOUS meal... the sangria was awesome... loved this place! First, restaurant in Harlem I've really loved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not on the menu!?!dinerscribeDined on 5/31/2013This is a boisterous place best enjoyed by those who have no intention of engaging in meaningful conversation with their companions. More problematic was the fact that several menu items weren't available. How is it possible not to have a featured cocktail!? Fridays do get busy, so adjust your staff accordingly. A half hour to get a drink and an hour for an appetizer? That said, the kitchen did produce a very flavorful artichoke dip, and their salmon and mahi mahi were nicely done. Avoid the ricotta fritters whose wonderful, crunchy exterior belied a lackluster filling that was not aided at all by the watery marinara sauce. Also, the chopped salad which looked so bright and colorful was absolutely overwhelmed by the marinated artichokes.Special Features:
- Nice ambiance, slow servicerickDined on 5/27/2013Sitting outside is wonderful, and it was a great way to spend a Memorial Day dinner. Our server was incredibly nice, but was rather inattentive. I've heard this from a few reviewers, and this has happenedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I ordered the pork ribs andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/20/2013I ordered the pork ribs and I found them to be too fatty. BUT the mashed potatoes and sauteed spinach were heavenly! I kindly asked the waiter if mashed sweet potatoes could be substituted in my dish and she replied "that it had never been done before" but she would try. I was willing to pay extra and sweet potatoes came with another dish on their menu (1/2 chicken dish), I saw it as a simple substitution...they should be more open to that. It was also difficult to get our waitresses' attention as the night got busier. The kitchen was busier too... we ordered dessert and we had to get it to-go. I would have liked for the service to be consistent throughout the meal. In any event, I would come back again for their happy hour or to dine in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food, Jazz and SeatingMrsBnFriendsDined on 5/11/2013Took my almost 3 year old to brunch here with a friend. Food was delicious and portioned just right. Bonus Jazz trio playing - a little loud at times but not annoyingly so. Really enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harlem Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/10/2013Great spot to watch games and have a drink with friends. Amazing menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harlem Tavern is a neighborhoodSeanFromWEHONYCVIPDined on 4/27/2013Harlem Tavern is a neighborhood gem along the revitalized Harlem corridor that runs along Frederick Douglas Blvd. between West 116 and 125. The crowd still hues a traditional African American crowd--young, educated, professional, photogenic--though the overall scene is an ethnic hodge podge reflective of the overall changing demographics of Uptown Manhattan. The food is quality, good, bar food. Dinner entrees are elegant, in presentation and ingredients. Prices can't be beat, particularly given the heavy handed portions. Beer selection is excellent, and the wine list is very respectable. This has become one of our Uptown favorites. We will be back for our third visit. As it is a sports bar, the noise levels are HIGH. FYI.Special Features:
- Terrific food, great space.erabelleDined on 4/23/2013Terrific food, great space. We went when a game was on so it was a bit loud, but that was to be expected.Special Features:
- not good for groups, crampedm3mooreDined on 4/21/2013not good for groups, cramped space and they wedge you into small spots if you are over 4 people. Quite noisy. Could not talk to the person sitting next to me without leaning in. Good drinks, but food average. Inside waiter staff more attentive than outside. Hostess did not have a clue. Cute spot, good for couple, but sit in a boooth away from crowd. Music that night was good, even though it was not what I came for.Special Features:
- Food was good for the priceBigDebDined on 4/20/2013Food was good for the price and the staff was very friendly and helpful, especialy with the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Harlem Tavern for HappyKatherineDined on 4/16/2013I love Harlem Tavern for Happy Hour but mostly for brunch. Sit outside!Special Features:
- Great appetizers! But a littleBakerDined on 4/12/2013Great appetizers! But a little too loud. Don't go if you want to have a conversation and hear eachotherSpecial Features:
- The service and food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/10/2013The service and food was great and the staff was friendly and over-accommodating. Highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Go for ONLY happy hourShazKhaVIPDined on 4/9/2013Since it was a nice day, I guess everyone wanted to be out. So the service that day was the worst. OUR entrees took forever and I waited about 20 mins for my dessert and when i asked the waitress if it was ready she they hadn't started making it!! So needless to say I didnt want it anymore and just got the check. As far as rating the food. I'll say the white sangria tasted like pure juice, but my friend said the red had a little more wine in it. We ordered the Cajun Mahi Mahi, which was honestly EXCELLENT, BUT the rice that's served with it was NOT good at all, very hard. My friend purchased the mash potatoes and they were NOTHING special.If you are a man, you probably would need to order an appetizer too.Special Features:
- I like the Harlem Tavern BeacuseDinerDined on 4/9/2013I like the Harlem Tavern Beacuse the food is very goodSpecial Features:
- The staff (especially theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2013The staff (especially the hostess) was very accommodating and patient about the size and tardiness of our group. It was a fun time.Special Features:
- Eat & ShoutOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013Loud. Loud. Loud. If you go Friday night, don't plan a conversation with a group; plan it with the person next to you or across the table, and even then, you will have to strain to hear. But food is good--great turkey burger (huge), and melt-in-your-mouth sweet potato fries. Gigantor TV screen in beer garden area for sports watching. Great place to bring kids, because they won't add much to the decibel level.Special Features:
- Harlem GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013Good food. Good service. Will return in the future. Nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- This place has a great vibe!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013This place has a great vibe!! Lots of TVs for watching sports! You can get good food, not just bar food!!Special Features:
- Near Morningside ParkOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/14/2013You enter this very friendly neighborhood place through a large enclosed patio. You can dine there or continue into the sports bar where there is plenty more seating. The service is very good and so is the food!Special Features:
- Harlem GemValoverDined on 3/8/2013Wonderful food. I will return. The bourbon short ribs are the best and the steak is super juicy. The drinks are always on point and the atmosphere is very young, hip, and fun.Special Features:
- One can eat a very good, HEALTHYglojoDined on 3/5/2013One can eat a very good, HEALTHY meal here at reasonable cost. The halibit was moist and delicious as well as the kale. One can also eat an array of good sandwiches. The turkey burger was over the top!Special Features:
- They took long to bring ourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013They took long to bring our food. It was very crowded and we kept getting bumped by the people walking behind us. The drinks are ok. It was a Friday night so it was a full house. The music was great!!Special Features:
- Soha is alive !MBellDined on 2/15/2013Great tavern ! Love this place - food is great ! Great drink selection !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Service was okDeliciousDined on 2/12/2013Great food. Service was ok as usual. Never see the same person working there twice. Server looked like he was out all night with no sleep. Forgot about us a lot. Dropped a plate of food. But hey, it happens right?Special Features:
- We went the day before theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/2/2013We went the day before the super bowl, and the energy level was high. Games were on all the flatscreen TV's, and there was a live jazz band playing in the outer section of the building. Good vibe, good buzz, good food at a reasonable price. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Cordial and informed waitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013Cordial and informed wait staff. They were also accommodating. When I asked to change my salad for sweet potato fries; they did so without hesitationSpecial Features:
- I was there to celebrate aLoveroffoodDined on 1/31/2013I was there to celebrate a promotion and it was the perfect spot. The drinks were really good and the food was nice. I would recommend this place for a group outing, a date or to watch the game because they have so many screens on the wall. Overall it was a great experience.Special Features:
- Eat at the bar and they open at 12!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012This is a great place to eat. However, Open Table and Harlem tavern need to talk. I made a reservation at 11:30 for brunch on a day that they did not open till 12:00 and they did not serve brunch. Also, the manager is really nice but the servers have attitudes. Not mine. She was good. But two other servers gave my party nothing but attitude and made us feel like we were inconveniencing them with our presence. The bartender was awesome. I think if I eat here again I will just sit at the bar.Special Features:
- Bad SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/29/2012Had steak and eggs for brunch.The steaks were cooked to the requested degree of doneness for both of us but the steaks were very fatty and full of gristle. Nice place. Very loud music. Pleasant staff. Nice mixed crowd agewise and ethnically.Special Features:
- WELCOME TO HARLEM, HARLEM TAVERN!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/28/2012Everything was great, and consistent! Everyone from the Managers to the wonderful waiters (Julissa) really made my guest and I feel like family and very welcomed! The food was EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!! HARLEM TAVERN NEEDS TO BE FEATURED ON THE FOOD NETWORK!Special Features:
- Nice restaurant and tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/26/2012Nice restaurant and tasty food, but lacks enough food menu choices.Special Features:
- Unbelievable find. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/7/2012Unbelievable find. Service was outstanding. Food excellent . The bar was a bit noisy for a late dinner but that's because the DJ on Friday & Saturday night keeps the place jumping. They moved us twice to accommodate the noise without a problem. We ordered salmon with crab cake appetizer both cooked to perfection. The white chocolate cheese cake is more than worth the extra 1/2 hour on the elliptacal. Will definitely return again and againSpecial Features:
- hi we where a party of fourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012hi we where a party of four and it was great the food the drinks thanks for a great timeSpecial Features: