121 Towne Street
Stamford, CT 06902Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.harlansocial.com/
- Phone: 2038838000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Stephen Lewandowski
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Harlan Social can cater to any type of event. Our private party menus can be found on Harlan Social"s website under the Private Party tab.
- Entertainment: Harlan Social will host a variety of events such as beer dinners, cooking classes, pig roasts, and wine dinners.
A word from Harlan Social
Critically acclaimed New York City chef Stephen Lewandowski opens his innovative new restaurant, Harlan Social. Based on the gastropub concept, Harlan Social will combine the convivial atmosphere of a traditional neighborhood pub with a menu of fresh, creative contemporary fare. Chef Lewandowski"s cuisine will celebrate the regional food of America's Northeast with flavors from his travels around the world. Harlan Social is a place where guests can enjoy a refined culinary experience in a relaxed neighborhood meeting place.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGastro Pub
Harlan Social - Best Restaurants in Stamford ›
Harlan Social reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (19)fit for foodies (18)hot spot (12)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (9)vibrant bar scene (9)romantic (7)special occasion (6)notable wine list (6)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good, not great.SouthportCTDined on 10/14/2014Good and creative food, upscale "buzzy" ambiance, but a bit pretentious and a bit over priced for what it is.Special Features:
- AnnieDined on 9/20/2014We've been dining at Harlan since it opened. We love it although the menu has changed somewhat and some of the offerings we enjoyed are no longer available much to our disappointment. We will continue to return however as it's always a delightful experience.Special Features:
- Service left us frustratedMcI3Dined on 9/14/2014Went on a recommendation from a friend. It was our anniversary. We had to tell our server multiple times it was our first time. We were there 1 1/2 hours and all we got out of that was empty glasses, a burned beef filet and bad descriptions of food. I asked what flavor the ice tea was and they just kept saying unsweetened ice tea. Sorry, unsweet is not a flavor. The staff was sitting with other tables, frequently talking to other tables, we got none of that. One customer even had his bare feet up on a chair behind us. We asked for melted butter, (for the burnt beef) she forgot and didn't want to admit it. After a reminder 10 min later, she brought out slightly warmed butter. Sad we still have money left on our gift card.Special Features:
- food was blandlovefoodexperienceDined on 9/11/2014there was no flavor to our meals, maybe a lack of basic seasonings am just not impressed!
- Good enoughstamfordfoodieDined on 9/7/2014Food was good, but overpriced. Waitress was a little pushy. Also, no bread which was a little strange since other tables had it and we all ordered entrees. If you want to splurge go for the scallops.Special Features:
- Excellent all around!AussigirlVIPDined on 9/5/2014This place came highly recommended thru a friend of mine and let me tell you how glad I am that I found this place. My husband and I went for dinner last week and had some of the best food and service we have had in a long time. From start to finish we enjoyed ourselves. Our server greeted us by first telling us her name was Lindsay. Great serves! I had the scallops and and my husband had the filet. Both were cooked to perfection. When we were finished a gentalman stopped by to ask us if we had enjoyed our evening. Introducing himself as the Genarl Manager and handed us his Business card then told us if we ever needed anything to ask for him. We will definitely be back in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seems much quieter nowRichDined on 8/19/2014I go to Harlan about once every 6 months, and it seems to have gone off the boil a little. Tuesday evening at 7:30pm, we were one of only 3 tables I think. Thats odd, when there seem to be more and more towers of apartments going up in the area - is there a repetitional issue? Food is good, but no longer "wow". I had scallops which were cooked one side, not cooked at all on the other. I know they are difficult, but seemed amateurish. Just seemed as if it was getting a little tired and a little lazy as it aged. Having said that, I will go back again - it's easy 5 minutes from Stamford train, and reliable good food and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- hollyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Still like this restaurant but afraid it's losing steam. Not many people there (maybe because it's summer?) on a Saturday night. Plus too many kids and toddlers. Food still good but salmon was overcooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014First time there - all in our party loved it. Great food Great winesSpecial Features:
- Flash but not goodFoodieDined on 7/26/2014Kale was full of sand, duck had two interesting sauces then a third was loaded across the top ruining the crisp of the duck and adding an overpowering element and then whole cashew were added to the plate for no apparent reason. To their credit they did try and compensate on the bill
- HarlanDustyDined on 7/23/2014Was a great lunch find! The good was very delicious? Would be a great place for all times of day and occasions . Loved the sparkling water!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinning experienceJohnVIPDined on 7/19/2014Everything was simply wonderful and I will look forward to dinning at Harlan Social again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegance EmbodiedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Fine fare, discretely provided, with a feeling of privacy while dining.Special Features:
- Excellent Brunch RestaurantMpb0707Dined on 7/7/2014I was pleasantly surprised by the tasty and unique dishes found here. The decor was very unique as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new placeDiggerDined on 7/2/2014I was there for lunch. The menu was very interesting and the food was great. Fresh healthy and delicious. Service was fine. Been there when the bar was hopping too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemPicklesDined on 6/28/2014We lucked out finding this hidden gem of a restaurant when we were looking for a spot to celebrate an event with our family. Since them, when we are in stamford this is the place we go to eat! Ample parking, beautiful clean/modern/rustic interior, food is absolutely delicious, and the staff extremely attentitive. Hands down Harlen Burger is amazing! Great size cheese plates, perfect place to share some dishes too. Nice beer choices and cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunchfoodyDined on 6/28/2014Delightful brunch. We were 6 people and we were extremely happy to be sitting at a round table. Wonderful food, service and ambience. Would definitely come back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehNomNomDined on 6/27/2014Food was ok. Over priced for what it was. Not much octopus in the octopus salad, although what was there was well cooked. Service was ok but at 9pm (on a Friday night) they started blowing out the candles on the empty tables around us. Oh and $32 for scallops?! They were good but not worth that.
- The following 238 reviews are from the Harlan Social reviews archive.
- Just ok ...mimiVIPDined on 6/21/2014Tomato soup was a lot more like tomato SAUCE than soup. Much too strong and thick -- particularly for a summertime menu. Burger excellent, fries not hot. (they look a lot better than they taste because of temp). Grilled salmon good with cous cous and tomato --- but swimming in sauce. Cheesecake with kumquats lousy. Waiter very nice & courteous ... good service but NOISE LEVEL AWFUL ... loud young women at two tables near us (Saturday night out with the girls) ... screaming with raucous laughter ... really hard to enjoy dinner & any acceptable level of conversation with that going on.Special Features:
- First class!EatdrinknbperryDined on 6/19/2014The food is outstanding here. As you read the menu you'll see many common choices however each item has a unique flavor that makes this place stand out. Modern decor and open atmosphere. I come here often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new addition to StamfordLivinctDined on 6/19/2014This was our second time at Harlan Social, this time with a big group of 9 people. Because I had to make several changes to our original booking, I must have called the restaurant 4 times! Each time the host was easy going and very accommodating. The wait staff was excellent as well. I wish I could remember what everyone ordered but I had both the crab cakes (first visit) and rack of lamb the second visit. My husband had the snapper which was also excellent. I'm not sorry to say that there were no complaints and we had a lovely evening. I hope this restaurant continues to do well.Special Features:
- Fun findctcathybVIPDined on 6/14/2014First time dining at Harlan Social and were pleasantly surprised. Menu was interesting and delicious. While the restaurant was filled, the energy was positive. Food was good - but kitchen was a bit behind. Appetizers came out quickly, but waited a bit long for dinner. All worth the wait, by the way. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Great food, Awful ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/14/2014We've been to this restaurant before and loved it. This time, we waited almost an hour for our food and when it did finally arrive, one of the orders was incorrect. We had multiple managers come over to our table and apologize, but didn't do anything to rectify the situate. I expected to have the incorrect order removed from our bill, but that did not happen. I noticed the table next to us also had issues, with long wait times and incorrect orders, so the issue may have been the specific waitress as she was the server for both tables. This negative experience is a shame, because the food is fantastic. But unfortunately, because of this awful experience, despite the great food, we will not be returning to this restaurant.
- Off night or going downhill?TCK83VIPDined on 6/6/2014Harlan Social has been on our regular restaurant rotation for awhile now, dining there about every 6-8 weeks. Always have appreciated the variety of the menu and interesting dishes, however dining there a week ago things just seemed off. My snapper (as recco'd by our server) was dry and flavor was lacking. My boyfriends scallops were a huge disappointment, a dish he always gets when on the menu. The 4 scallops were SMALL, slightly larger than the a size of a quarter and were way over cooked. It was hard to justify the $30+ price when there wasn't much on the plate. Service wasn't as attentive as normal, no greetings by the manager that night. I hope we just experienced an off night, but for sure will take this off the list for awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harlan has it ALLJanskiVIPDined on 6/3/2014Outstanding Food, Ambience and impeccable Service is an understatement ..... actually went out of my way to tell the Manager - our waiter knew what we wanted before we did ....it reminded me of some of the 5 Star Restaurants in NY City and California!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harlan Social is sociallovetoeatoutDined on 5/31/2014food was great...best hamburger ever...but everything else was wonderful too; ;service excellent; a definite repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favorite Go-ToStamfordResidentVIPDined on 5/27/2014It's taken me a while to get to Harlan Social-- and I regret this immensely. Atmosphere is great-- sitting in a booth is especially romantic. Bar scene is very casual and relaxed-- the feel is very different from downtown Stamford where many restaurants bars have a tense vibe, people competing for space, ect. Food is incredible I would recommend the rock shrimp tempura, chicken wings, and potato chips with bleu cheese. We haven't even made it past the appetizers list because they're great to share with groups. Service is great. Beer list/wine list has something for everyone. Harlan Social is a great casual scene, upscale food is really well-done, service has never been an issue. Highly Recommend.Special Features:
- really enjoyed the foodMichaelVIPDined on 5/25/2014we had yet another great time at Harlan. the menu has a lot of choices and we enjoy trying different things. service was prompt and pleasant. anytime we are nearby, Harlan is always consistent for usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite restaurantRunner2016Dined on 5/24/2014We love the food at Harlan Social. We have tried just about everything on the dinner menu and have never been disappointed. The space is lovely. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt nickel and dimedAustinDined on 5/23/2014We were surprised to see that the hamburger was the most popular item. However, after ordering the $28.00 duck (that came with no sides), I can understand why. Do you want mashed potatoes? Extra. Do you want a vegetable? Extra. Just add them to the dinner and charge more so that I don't feel gouged. So…. the $17 burger may be your best option. Just be sure that it come with fries.Special Features:
- Great new spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2014We went here for dinner on a Tuesday night. The food was fantastic. Rick shrimp is a must! Great ambiance, loved the round booths. Checked out the bar scene for another day and it was vibrant for a Tuesday for sure! Looks like fun! Too cold for dinner outside, but definitely another day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ambience insideParticularDined on 5/11/2014Close to train station . Are outside which was just ok ... Overlooks a grocery store parking lot. Food is ok nothing special. Portions are small with a nice presentation but for the price, they should offer bread or something to start you off. We ordered apps. we were meeting our daughter from NYC ( we had an 1 and 1/2 hr drive from central CT).... It was a long way to come for a par dining experience.
- Great burgerBrettDined on 5/11/2014I have been to Harlan a lot and love the place. The food however is hit or miss. Lunch is always awesome, great burger and chicken sandwich. Salads are awesome but the main entrees for dinner are all just fair. The chicken is not good, and that should be the easiest thing to make. I hope the chef figures something out, this place is great and I would love the food to be better. Otherwise it will only be a brunch/lunch/bar spot for me, never to eat dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good without a viewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014We had a Mother's Day brunch and the service was right on target. The food was delicious. Although, we decided we needed to pick up a few items at Fairway, the only negative is that the nice outdoor dining terrace has a view of a supermarket. Inside, there is ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2014Best Burger and Bordeaux in Stamford. Every time we go, we say we will order something else but we do not. We'll be back again this weekend and hope to try another dish. Love the upscale bar atmosphere. Servers and management always attentive.Special Features:
- excellent burger great foodrferrajinaDined on 5/8/2014Food was excellent service was great. good bar scene and great location away from downtown stamfordSpecial Features:
- How's That Burger Coming?JG50VIPDined on 5/5/2014We arrived for a 12:30 lunch and before the place got crowded we ordered our lunch. Several tables arrived after us but were served before us. Luckily we were able to pass the time catching up. Food was worth waiting for but not this long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DineOsaurVIPDined on 5/3/2014Best burger ever! Outstanding scallops! Off the charts Mexican Street Corn.Special Features:
- Tasty treatMPizzleDined on 4/29/2014Small and large plates very well executed. Fun atmosphere. Chef is awesome. Can't wait to taste the new menu and the new location in Norwalk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/26/2014This was our second time at HS. We sat in the banquette in the bar area, which is highly preferable to the main dining room which is unbearably noisy. It's a great place for a burger, piece of fish, etc., but the service was slow (however attentive when he was there) and that impacted our experience.Special Features: