Harborside, Restaurant & Grand Ballroom
400 Main St
Newport Beach, CA 92661Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Harborside, Restaurant & Grand Ballroom
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: (949) 673-4633
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 9:30pm; Sunday: 10:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Harborside, Restaurant & Grand Ballroom
Located inside the historic Balboa Pavilion building built in 1906, Harborside is the perfect place to enjoy a casual waterfront dinner, lunch or weekend breakfast. The Harborside Saloon offers the “longest happy hour in town” everyday of the week from 12:00 to 7:00pm with spectacular views of the harbor or watch your favorite sports event on one of the six flat screens. The award winning menus include fresh seafood, Alaskan king crab, Canadian Lobsters, prime steaks and local favorites with a value minded California wine selection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Harborside, Restaurant & Grand Ballroom - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Harborside, Restaurant & Grand Ballroom reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (51)special occasion (32)neighborhood gem (24)good for groups (21)great for lunch (19)romantic (18)fit for foodies (13)vibrant bar scene (9)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (5)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- NCSVDined on 11/26/2014The food was good. Enjoyed the fish and chips. The restaurant is the landmark for the area. It has the best views of Balboa Island. I would recommend it for any occasion. It is casual but it would be a great place to celebrate a special occasion as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for any occasion!GreatPlaceFoodDined on 11/19/2014I needed to find a place for eleven people and I had a mixed group with some local, some out of town, and two vegetarians. I found this online, then checked with a few friends, and after receiving a couple recommendations booked the reservation. This restaurant exceeded my expectations. Everyone from the hostess to the waiters and servers were wonderful. We ordered a little of everything, and all of us were raving about the food and experience. There is a great view of the bay and be sure to take the ferry across to the restaurant. I will recommend this to everyone, and look forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty view, but food was nothing specialKrisDined on 11/15/2014The service was slow and the food so-so. We do not plan to return.Special Features:
- Pretty averageKayBDined on 11/13/2014Nothing was horrible- it was just so bland. The reviews were positive so we thought we'd give it a try. It's a very tired looking restaurantSpecial Features:
- LynnDined on 11/6/2014This was the first time we had gone here. Everything was GREAT!!!! I had the wedge salad and it was amazing, fresh and flavorable. The view is fabulous!!!!!! We will be going again soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014Four of us had memorable evening. Fantastic view, great food and sevice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red SnapperlydieroseDined on 10/25/2014Although the food was very good and the service outstanding, I was disappointed with the red snapper. After a few bites, I came across many bones...to say there were a dozen, is not an exaggeration. I finished just one of the fillets, and very carefully. Because I was with a group, I didn't want to say anything about it to anyone. I brought the other piece home and after finding more bones in it, threw it away. What a shame...it had such good flavor, but it was nerve wracking trying to eat it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expectedsusanDined on 10/21/2014I found the food to be tasty. I had the swordfish, it had a very nice flavor. The wild rice was good but I think too salty. The restaurant could use a facelift but for tourists it serves it's purpose. I used an entertainment book coupon so it made it enjoyable. The service was fair. The fish portion was a good size and I had leftovers which tasted just as good.Special Features:
- Great Experience!ReviewVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food was excellent and the view from the restaurant of the harbor and bay was super. The service was a bit slow but it appeared that one server was given too many tables to work. Otherwise, the whole lunch was wonderful. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great service!guests2feedDined on 10/13/2014We had out of town guests with a small child. The restaurant gave us a corner table that looked over the harbor. The food was terrific and our guests were very pleased. Thanks so much!Special Features:
- Very Nice.FabulosoDined on 10/4/2014Really enjoyed everything. The food was fabulous. I would have rather had a different booth, because it was a little hidden, but overall, fantastiSpecial Features:
- Another Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014We have been coming with friends for birthday dinners now for about 3 years. We love the atmosphere and the food is fantastic.Special Features:
- What a Gem!LILQLTRDined on 9/27/2014We were in the area and found this restaurant on Open Table and Yelp. We decided to give it a try. It was a little out of the way, but, it was worth the drive. The food and service were outstanding. We were celebrating my birthday and our wedding anniversary. The server and staff couldn't have been nicer. The food here was delicious. We will definitely come back when we're in the area. Thank your for a great dining experience!Special Features:
- Good food, but...bobandaDined on 9/22/2014I had the red snapper which was delicious. My husband had BBQ chicken. Both of us were disappointed that we thought we would be coming to a place with local seafood and it was not. Several things on the menu said "atlantic" which is code for "farmed" and I felt hipped. Here I am sitting an arms length from a pelican eating a fresh catch and I'm paying good money but I'm not?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the expenseBlytheSpiritDined on 9/12/2014The view is wonderful, and the appetizer selection is especially good. The portions of food are plentiful. We did request a special table and view since we were celebrating a birthday, and we had to wait awhile for the table with a view. The hostess did not act like she knew that was part of our Open Table request; it did not seem like she had a note to that effect. We did not realize they had valet service, which is important because parking is very difficult to find in this area on the weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall top 1012happymenDined on 9/6/2014The hostesses were very polite and accomidated our party 30 minutes earlier than our reservation time.Our waiter was very friendly. He was prompt and seemed to remember everyones request. The food was excellent, we had 12 people in our party and most of us shared food because everything was really good. Overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food prep problemsJiroVIPDined on 9/4/2014Second time in a row that we order steaks and they were over cooked. Potatoes were cold and the wrong vegetable was served.. After two attempts it was finally corrected. The manager made us feel as if the problem was us.Special Features:
- Dean2DorisDined on 8/31/2014Many booths with great views of Newport Harbor. We enjoyed watching the boats, people, seals and birds. The food, service and ambiance were all very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic and MemorabledateniteDined on 8/29/2014We went on a date night to this restaurant because we had been given a gift certificate. What a special place! I didn't even know it was there, even though we had been at the Fun Zone many times. It has a great history, too. The view was beautiful, our waitress was attentive yet gave us time to be alone, and the food was terrific. We will definitely be back, even without a gift certificate. The food is reasonably priced. It is a great get away spot for a quiet date night in the middle of a busy area. Thanks for a great time!Special Features:
- great little spot!clarepurplDined on 8/26/2014First time at the restaurant and I have already gone back! Perfect blend of casual and nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/17/2014The food and service was great. My steak was over cooked and so the manager took the charge for my wine off of the bill. Totally not warranted because I was given a new steak cooked properly. It was a wonderful gesture!Special Features:
- Pretty cool.tunoffunDined on 8/16/2014Went for my parents anniversary , great service and food. It said business casual attire but the atmosphere is a little more laced than assumed. Would recommend for a nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The web site is wrong about brunchlizbeth35Dined on 8/10/2014The website said they had brunch until 2pm with mimosas, and the restaurant said they did not serve Sunday brunch anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Enjoyed dinner and the celebration of our 50th wedding anniversary. We are have been in this area since 1949 and love the Pavillion!Special Features:
- never a bad meal3king3Dined on 8/2/2014I was beyond overjoyed to get two entertainment book book coupons for Harborside in the book this year. It has quickly become my favorite restaurant in orange county and i look forward to going every year. Chicken, Fish, pot roast, simply cooked to perfection. I look forward to trying some of the entrees as have yet to consume.Special Features:
- Great Food Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014We went on the whale watching tour out the harbor then went here right after words. Great meal and the service was excellent. We have a newborn and they were great about having a small child in the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NICE DINNERCC60VIPDined on 7/30/2014WE enjoyed our dinner, helped by good serving staff. Food was tasty and generously portioned. Desserts were tempting and we were glad we tried the fresh, from scratch fruit sorbet. A refreshing finish to our meal. The view from our seats was not bad either, of boats docking and taking off and the pretty bay views.Special Features:
- The following 34 reviews are from the Harborside, Restaurant & Grand Ballroom reviews archive.
- Great place!BeachloversDined on 7/13/2014The food and service were great. The portions were generous and well prepared. The view is fabulous!Special Features:
- Great Experience!ReviewVIPDined on 6/28/2014The food and menus was great. Did not know what to pick since everything looked so good. The service was courteous but a bit slow. When the food came, it was worth the wait. The view of the bay and the ferry going back and forth made it a perfect day. We will be back again. Many thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great viewFranandBenVIPDined on 6/27/2014This restaurant is iconic on the Newport Harbor. The food is good but most come for the views at night. Parking can be difficult as the valet fills up quickly during peak times. The coconut orange salmon is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014I had my daughter's graduation dinner here, in their semi-private room for 20 guests, but then ended up having 24. We were a bit chaotic with our sitting arrangements but the servers were very accommodating. Thanks Sheila for the fix price menu. Everyone LOVED the clam chowder. The steak - those who ordered medium rare, loved the steak but those who ordered medium well didn't as they said the steak was well done instead of medium well. The only CON I have is the receptionists. They shld be upbeat, smiling, & greet each customer that comes in, instead they were lifeless. Over all, we had a wonderful experience. Thanks to our servers, Erik & another guy whose name I don't know. You guys rock!!! Thank you for your excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hostess not up to parccriderDined on 6/13/2014If you have children, make sure you ask for children menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinnerbruingal67Dined on 6/12/2014Celebrated our son's high school graduation here. Great food and attentive service. Cherry was a wonderful server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were taken by surpriseLuv2CuttlefishVIPDined on 6/11/2014We had a wonderful evening. It started with a quaint ferry ride which we loved. The Harbor Restaurant had great food and the waiter was terrific. Harbor island is a fun place to explore. Skip the overpriced 21 Oceanview and head to Harbor Restaurant at half the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old spotfatfkDined on 6/7/2014This restaurant has had many ups and downs over the many years. Food was excellent. It's up right now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food for great pricedineoutqueenDined on 6/1/2014The menu had a lot of variety. Entres were well prepared and service was excellent. Good place for family and out of town freindsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harborside does not disapppointLouie2Dined on 5/15/2014The perfect place to dine for fairly priced seafood right on the water. The swordfish was outstanding as was the Opakapaka. The portions were generous though they could have given larger side of brussel sprouts. Desserts were tasty: nice hot fudge sundae and lovely lava cake.Special Features:
- Fun spot for a good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014We made reservations for Mothers Day at 6:00 PM and arrived right on schedule. We were seated right away at a window table and given menus and plenty of time to make our selections. The waiter was attentive and served us cocktails while we were waiting for our entrees. We were never hurried even though the room was full for the one and a half hours we were there. After our dishes were bussed we were delivered a dessert we had not ordered, but were interested in seeing the dessert menu. We assumed that since it was Mothers Day the dessert was for "Mom" and thought nothing about it. It was meant for the table next to us and the waiter was very kind and said all is good. We had a good meal and a good time. We'll return.Special Features:
- SusanVIPDined on 5/11/2014We mostly enjoyed our Mothers' Day dinner here, though the waiter forgot a few things. My husband asked for lemon with his salad but never got it. Our salads/appetizers came in a timely fashion, as did his entrée. However, my entrée came quite a few minutes later, & I had to repeat my order for the parmesan corn. It finally came, but wasn't nearly as good as usual. My husband loved his blackened sea bass special, & the chocolate lava cake is tops.Special Features:
- On the harborJudgeBBQDined on 5/6/2014Receptive had to change reservation time, easily accommodated our group of 10. Food was excellent and service was great. Got to watch boats in the harbor as we ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.