Harborside, Restaurant & Grand Ballroom
400 Main St
Newport Beach, CA 92661Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Harborside, Restaurant & Grand Ballroom
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 9496734633x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 9:30pm; Sunday: 10:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Harborside, Restaurant & Grand Ballroom
Located inside the historic Balboa Pavilion building built in 1906, Harborside is the perfect place to enjoy a casual waterfront dinner, lunch or weekend breakfast. The Harborside Saloon offers the “longest happy hour in town” everyday of the week from 12:00 to 7:00pm with spectacular views of the harbor or watch your favorite sports event on one of the six flat screens. The award winning menus include fresh seafood, Alaskan king crab, Canadian Lobsters, prime steaks and local favorites with a value minded California wine selection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Harborside, Restaurant & Grand Ballroom - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Harborside, Restaurant & Grand Ballroom reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (43)special occasion (25)good for groups (21)romantic (18)neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (14)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (6)notable wine list (4)hot spot (2)Show More
- Worth the expenseBlytheSpiritDined on 9/12/2014The view is wonderful, and the appetizer selection is especially good. The portions of food are plentiful. We did request a special table and view since we were celebrating a birthday, and we had to wait awhile for the table with a view. The hostess did not act like she knew that was part of our Open Table request; it did not seem like she had a note to that effect. We did not realize they had valet service, which is important because parking is very difficult to find in this area on the weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall top 1012happymenDined on 9/6/2014The hostesses were very polite and accomidated our party 30 minutes earlier than our reservation time.Our waiter was very friendly. He was prompt and seemed to remember everyones request. The food was excellent, we had 12 people in our party and most of us shared food because everything was really good. Overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food prep problemsJiroDined on 9/4/2014Second time in a row that we order steaks and they were over cooked. Potatoes were cold and the wrong vegetable was served.. After two attempts it was finally corrected. The manager made us feel as if the problem was us.Special Features:
- Dean2DorisDined on 8/31/2014Many booths with great views of Newport Harbor. We enjoyed watching the boats, people, seals and birds. The food, service and ambiance were all very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic and MemorabledateniteDined on 8/29/2014We went on a date night to this restaurant because we had been given a gift certificate. What a special place! I didn't even know it was there, even though we had been at the Fun Zone many times. It has a great history, too. The view was beautiful, our waitress was attentive yet gave us time to be alone, and the food was terrific. We will definitely be back, even without a gift certificate. The food is reasonably priced. It is a great get away spot for a quiet date night in the middle of a busy area. Thanks for a great time!Special Features:
- great little spot!clarepurplDined on 8/26/2014First time at the restaurant and I have already gone back! Perfect blend of casual and nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/17/2014The food and service was great. My steak was over cooked and so the manager took the charge for my wine off of the bill. Totally not warranted because I was given a new steak cooked properly. It was a wonderful gesture!Special Features:
- Pretty cool.tunoffunDined on 8/16/2014Went for my parents anniversary , great service and food. It said business casual attire but the atmosphere is a little more laced than assumed. Would recommend for a nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The web site is wrong about brunchlizbeth35Dined on 8/10/2014The website said they had brunch until 2pm with mimosas, and the restaurant said they did not serve Sunday brunch anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Enjoyed dinner and the celebration of our 50th wedding anniversary. We are have been in this area since 1949 and love the Pavillion!Special Features:
- never a bad meal3king3Dined on 8/2/2014I was beyond overjoyed to get two entertainment book book coupons for Harborside in the book this year. It has quickly become my favorite restaurant in orange county and i look forward to going every year. Chicken, Fish, pot roast, simply cooked to perfection. I look forward to trying some of the entrees as have yet to consume.Special Features:
- Great Food Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014We went on the whale watching tour out the harbor then went here right after words. Great meal and the service was excellent. We have a newborn and they were great about having a small child in the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NICE DINNERCC60VIPDined on 7/30/2014WE enjoyed our dinner, helped by good serving staff. Food was tasty and generously portioned. Desserts were tempting and we were glad we tried the fresh, from scratch fruit sorbet. A refreshing finish to our meal. The view from our seats was not bad either, of boats docking and taking off and the pretty bay views.Special Features:
- Great place!BeachloversDined on 7/13/2014The food and service were great. The portions were generous and well prepared. The view is fabulous!Special Features:
- Great Experience!ReviewVIPDined on 6/28/2014The food and menus was great. Did not know what to pick since everything looked so good. The service was courteous but a bit slow. When the food came, it was worth the wait. The view of the bay and the ferry going back and forth made it a perfect day. We will be back again. Many thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great viewFranandBenVIPDined on 6/27/2014This restaurant is iconic on the Newport Harbor. The food is good but most come for the views at night. Parking can be difficult as the valet fills up quickly during peak times. The coconut orange salmon is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014I had my daughter's graduation dinner here, in their semi-private room for 20 guests, but then ended up having 24. We were a bit chaotic with our sitting arrangements but the servers were very accommodating. Thanks Sheila for the fix price menu. Everyone LOVED the clam chowder. The steak - those who ordered medium rare, loved the steak but those who ordered medium well didn't as they said the steak was well done instead of medium well. The only CON I have is the receptionists. They shld be upbeat, smiling, & greet each customer that comes in, instead they were lifeless. Over all, we had a wonderful experience. Thanks to our servers, Erik & another guy whose name I don't know. You guys rock!!! Thank you for your excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hostess not up to parccriderDined on 6/13/2014If you have children, make sure you ask for children menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinnerbruingal67Dined on 6/12/2014Celebrated our son's high school graduation here. Great food and attentive service. Cherry was a wonderful server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were taken by surpriseLuv2CuttlefishVIPDined on 6/11/2014We had a wonderful evening. It started with a quaint ferry ride which we loved. The Harbor Restaurant had great food and the waiter was terrific. Harbor island is a fun place to explore. Skip the overpriced 21 Oceanview and head to Harbor Restaurant at half the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old spotfatfkDined on 6/7/2014This restaurant has had many ups and downs over the many years. Food was excellent. It's up right now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food for great pricedineoutqueenDined on 6/1/2014The menu had a lot of variety. Entres were well prepared and service was excellent. Good place for family and out of town freindsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 25 reviews are from the Harborside, Restaurant & Grand Ballroom reviews archive.
- Harborside does not disapppointLouie2Dined on 5/15/2014The perfect place to dine for fairly priced seafood right on the water. The swordfish was outstanding as was the Opakapaka. The portions were generous though they could have given larger side of brussel sprouts. Desserts were tasty: nice hot fudge sundae and lovely lava cake.Special Features:
- Fun spot for a good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014We made reservations for Mothers Day at 6:00 PM and arrived right on schedule. We were seated right away at a window table and given menus and plenty of time to make our selections. The waiter was attentive and served us cocktails while we were waiting for our entrees. We were never hurried even though the room was full for the one and a half hours we were there. After our dishes were bussed we were delivered a dessert we had not ordered, but were interested in seeing the dessert menu. We assumed that since it was Mothers Day the dessert was for "Mom" and thought nothing about it. It was meant for the table next to us and the waiter was very kind and said all is good. We had a good meal and a good time. We'll return.Special Features:
- SusanVIPDined on 5/11/2014We mostly enjoyed our Mothers' Day dinner here, though the waiter forgot a few things. My husband asked for lemon with his salad but never got it. Our salads/appetizers came in a timely fashion, as did his entrée. However, my entrée came quite a few minutes later, & I had to repeat my order for the parmesan corn. It finally came, but wasn't nearly as good as usual. My husband loved his blackened sea bass special, & the chocolate lava cake is tops.Special Features:
- On the harborJudgeBBQDined on 5/6/2014Receptive had to change reservation time, easily accommodated our group of 10. Food was excellent and service was great. Got to watch boats in the harbor as we ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FareSuperbVIPDined on 4/28/2014We had lunch after riding the Balboa Ferry - a treat and stepping back in time. Lunch was Spinach Salad, snapper special -very good. View is of Balboa Harbor and the ferry crossings - one from each shore at the same time. Also watched a seal play around the boats right outside the restaurant's window.Special Features:
- Great views and foodGFGourmetDined on 4/25/2014An establishment type place that still delivers on food. The seafood risotto was a table favorite. Service friendly but not perfect. They messed up our order slightly but took care of it in a friendly manner. No big deal overall.Special Features:
- We were having a lovely eveningAzBookendVIPDined on 4/12/2014We were having a lovely evening at the Harborside, until 4 folks were seated in front of us and blocked our view, which they never looked at even once. But I digress... Fish was prepared better than most served in Alaska, our home state. Who ever is cooking in that kitchen deserves at least one Michelin star, it was THAT good! Krista was one of the best servers we've had anywhere in soCal. It took close to 15 minutes to get our cocktails and when she found out about it, went over and had it fixed straight away. While the furniture is a bit old fashioned (as mentioned in another review), the food and service more than made up for it. Thanks for a surprisingly nice evening, we will be back!Special Features:
- fantastic3king3Dined on 4/5/2014this was my second time dining here, and have come away more than pleased both times. probably my favorite restaurant in orange county. Both times, every meal was excellent, some of the best i have ever had. I hope to make it backSpecial Features:
- Anniversary & B-Day CelebrationsteakloverDined on 3/19/2014My Fiancée and I chose this restaurant to try something new. We celebrated out 7 yrs. dating anniversary and mu early birthday. Our seever was great, the manager was very helpful, the view was nice. But the beat part was being together making new memories. I recommend you try Harborside Restaurant to.celebrate amy special event. The prices are not bad ans the portions are just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Experience.ReviewVIPDined on 3/15/2014Used to the The Tale of the Whale. Now is updated with a great menu for people who love American food. Best dessert we ever had! Loved the view. The staff was courteous and helpful. Will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great prices and viewkharkVIPDined on 3/14/2014We needed last minute Saturday night reservations for a large group and were pleasantly surprised with Harborside. The food was priced great for the area and view. I was very happy with my potroast and key lime pie--I don't think any of the 15 of us had a bad meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harborside ExperienceFranDined on 3/13/2014The restaurant seems to need some refurnishing. Looks dark and worn inside. Food was good but not memorable. Parking was for about six cars. Area is rundown also. We would not return.Special Features:
- Great Balboa Peninsula RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/12/2014Very pretty views of Newport Bay. Excellent service and food. Only complaint was that there was a very loud and rude customer using extremely foul language while speaking with another patron. It made our group very uncomfortable, but we didn't see a staff person to ask them to address the situation until the patron had left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Lunch OutingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/9/2014We had a group of 5 for a Birthday lunch. the Service and food was were great as was the service. We will look forward to coming again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customer Service Satisfaction!acm0321Dined on 3/5/2014Talk about service! Despite having dinner reservations for 8:30 we were late arriving due to delayed flights into LAX. However, colleagues had arrived on time and checked us in. When we arrived 45 minutes later we found our colleagues inside, enjoying a drink, but the restaurant had since closed for the evening. To our surprise the Harborside stayed open for us, how nice! Needless to say we received excellent treatment. The service was outstanding, we didn't feel like they were trying to rush us out the door. The food was hot, fresh and excellently prepared. I recommend the cioppino :) I liked it so much that I came back myself two days later to have the bunelos, which were delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not going backOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2014I had high hopes since this was our first time, but will not be going back. The ambiance was nice. The scallops were mediocre, lamb was good, and burger was over cooked. There were only a few tables and but our waitress forgot several of our requests(second beer, more butter, etc). Just was expecting more.Special Features:
- OC Restaurant Week DealVaughnVIPDined on 3/1/2014We dined at Harborside during OC Restaurant Week. You can't beat $30 for a 3 course meal with many good choices that included a glass of wine or beer. The scallops were cooked to perfection as was the risotto that accompanied them. My wife had the prime rib - a generous portion cooked exactly to her specifications. Oh yes, Harborside also has great views of Balboa even when your table is at the back of the restaurant. If only the Catalina ferry could be move to a dock a bit further away. We look forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HarborsidebratDined on 2/28/2014We went for OC Restaurant week. Great price and great menu. The food and service were great - the view is outstanding. While we were there we found out about Happy Hour and came back the next day after our trip to Catalina.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.