Hapa Sushi Grill & Sake Bar - Pearl St. Boulder
1117 Pearl Street
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Hapa Sushi Grill & Sake Bar - Pearl St. Boulder
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hapasushi.com/
- Phone: 3034734730
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am - midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Hapa Sushi Grill & Sake Bar - Pearl St. Boulder
The name Hapa is derived from the Hawaiian term that describes a harmonious blend of Asian and American cultures. Like our name, our food reflects this dynamic combination. The menu is based on traditional Japanese cooking fundamentals which are then amplified, muted, or mixed with influences from many different styles of cooking until they are something completely new: they're Hapa. We have stretched the boundaries of creativity to develop dishes that defy all the rules while holding true to our roots. We hope that you will find our menu innovative, uninhibited, and distinctly fun! Incomplete parties will not be sat until complete.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Hapa Sushi Grill & Sake Bar - Pearl St. Boulder - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Hapa Sushi Grill & Sake Bar - Pearl St. Boulder reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (16)great for outdoor dining (12)neighborhood gem (10)hot spot (10)good for groups (9)special occasion (9)great for lunch (9)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (3)romantic (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Food! Great Service!MamericaVIPDined on 8/22/2014We think Hapa is great! We sat outside and our waiter was perfectly attentive to our needs. He knew the menu well and made excellent recommendations. The food is consistently good. We had the Shrimp Pakalolo, Agadashi Tofu and a special Tuna Crabcake for an appetizer. Yum! Had several rolls for our main course-spider roll, caterpillar roll, dragon roll, and salmon dumplings. Highly recommend Hapa. Food and atmosphere are first rate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bad ambiencefooderDined on 8/19/2014Some of the best sushi I've ever had, but the restaurant is small, dark, LOUD and crowded. I requested an outside patio table when I made the reservation, and again asked for one when I checked in. I even mentioned that we could wait for awhile for an outside table as we were not in a hurry. We were seated in the back of the restaurant crammed in the crowded tables. My date struggled to read the menu in the lighting and also asked if we could move outside. He was told those tables were already being spoken for. The tables in the back are so close together that I was seriously concerned that our waitress was going to catch her butt on fire on the candle on our table when she was taking the order of the table next to us. Wont be back.Special Features:
- Fabulous Food, Rushed ServiceKMacDined on 8/16/2014I love Hapa. The food and service are fabulous. We went on a Saturday night for date night, and our server was great. My only concern is that we were out for the evening, and the food came one on top of the other. We were still enjoying our appetizer when the salads came out, and the salads when the entree came out. I know they need to turn tables over but wow! But . . . we also didn't tell our server that we weren't in a hurry, so will try that next time. There will absolutely be a next time!Special Features:
- AnneDined on 8/8/2014I have never been let down by their sushi and that is why I keep coming back and bringing others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average sushi placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014I have come here several times and it just continues to lack what I expect. Most of all the chance that you get a good drink is about 1 in 100. Every time but once the bartender made drinks like what your bro would put in a red plastic cup. Pretty bartenders with no skill or care for the drinks. Sushi was good. Sat in the back which is crowded and lit so poorly you can hardly see the person across from you.
- Inventive, delicious; music loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014Loved the food, the service was efficient and fairly friendly. The music was about 50% too loud.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Service is pretty good, it's a bunch of college kids so it can be pretty unorganized, there is only one bartender there that knows what she's doing, the rest seem to be iPhone bartenders that 80% of the time don't know what they are making unless it's liqueur and soda. The sushi is good but the apps the come out of the back kitchen are hit and miss. Overall an average sushi place, good place to go late night for cheap sushi and the Dj for late night is typically pretty good. Also it's super loud there most of the time, every one is yelling to have a conversation so If your looking for a relaxing quite meal this is not the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GREAT!BldrGuyDined on 7/11/2014Best all-round sushi experience in uber-foodie Boulder. Excellent service, great food, lively dining. If you enjoy sushi, definitely check out Hapa for fresh and local sushi scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for People Watchingcynful1Dined on 7/5/2014Hapa on Pearl St in Boulder has a wide selection of Asian food including sushi. Many of the entrées are developed in house. I had their Asparagus Caterpillar roll, which is entirely vegetarian and delicious. If you eat outside, you have the opportunity to enjoy the atmosphere of Pearl St in Boulder - always an interesting environment.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Great every time ! We have tried other sushi restaurants, but return to the quality and consistency of Hapa every time.Special Features:
- Ultra Fresh SushiChristopherVIPDined on 6/10/2014We took our Son and his lady to Hapa for his birthday. He was very excited to enjoy the amazing selection of ultra fresh sushi! This restaurant always delivers ultra-fresh sushi consistently!Special Features:
- Always solidBoulderFoodieDined on 6/7/2014Hapa always delivers. Great fresh sushi and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!FoodieFanVIPDined on 6/2/2014As always, everything is great - the sushi, the service and the location on Pearl Street.
- Always consistently good!coloradomomDined on 6/1/2014We love Hapa for sushi in Boulder. The fish is always consistently good and the sushi creatively prepared and presented. Some of the portions are quite generous! It is not cheap, but you won't have a bad meal there. We don't order any of the non-sushi entrees so I can't comment on those, but we have sampled our fair share of the appetizers and they are good too.Special Features:
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014This was a wonderful dining experience! We enjoyed a lovely lunch after celebrating graduation. Prior to this, my daughter ate here before her prom and loved it.Special Features:
- Hapa is awesome!GwynderDined on 5/23/2014We love Hapa for the sushi, the tempura, the appetizers, and the beverages!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 148 reviews are from the Hapa Sushi Grill & Sake Bar - Pearl St. Boulder reviews archive.
- Love the happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/30/2014Great happy hour drink and food prices. My husband LOVES the magic mushrooms!
- Great HamachiAyoOVIPDined on 4/25/2014Staff was very nice and accommodating. Hamachi jalapeno roll was VERY good.Special Features:
- Always a FavoriteMikeDined on 4/24/2014We've been going to Hapa's in Boulder for many years. We enjoy the ambiance of Pearl Street, which makes the simple and busy interior of the restaurant acceptable. The food is always excellent and the quality of the sashimi high. There are several rolls we enjoy, but make sure you try the Ruby Red and the XXX. This occasion was for my wife's birthday and it didn't disappoint. For a family of four with two grown boys we ordered miso soup, calamari, five rolls and two orders of sashimi. It was the perfect amount. Over the years the cuts of sashimi have been reduced in size to control cost, but the quality has never suffered. The only reason I gave it 4 stars was because our fried calamari was slightly over cooked and I could taste the oilSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food as always greatAnne123VIPDined on 4/11/2014They have some original roles and nice combos. Lunch specials are a great option. Service is poor! The waitress were busy chatting amongst them and when we received the miso soup she, being distract, spilled on my shoes.. She looked and sai 'ooopps' and didn't even apologies or over something to clean them. When brining the bill the waitress finally was nice to us!
- Saved from gluttonyLuciaDined on 4/4/2014The sushi was delicious and the waitress realized we had ordered too many dishes so she held back the hot sushi order and, sure enough, we were full without it. Saved us embarassment and bucks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmospherefrostygothDined on 3/28/2014This was my first time going to Hapa and it won't be my last! The sushi was so fresh and flavorful and you got a really good amount for the price. The sake was delicious--highly recommend the coconut and lemongrass sake! It was hopping all night long, a really great atmosphere and not too loud such that you couldn't carry on a conversation at your table. Highly recommend making reservations through OpenTable though because of how busy it was!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great timeBatmanDined on 3/21/2014Our experience at Hapa was very enjoyable. The only negative is that we weren't seated at our table until a half hour after our reservation (it was a busy Friday night). The staff made up for it though by giving us edamame to snack on and a free appetizer. Once we got to the table, it was fun. The waitress was great. Since it was so busy, it was kind of hard to talk over the noise, but we still had a nice time, and the food was delicious. Would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceDaniDined on 3/15/2014We had a great experience at Hapa Sushi. Excellent energy, food was great, especially the Kalua Pork. Sushi was fresh and good.Special Features:
- Great SushiKSB80516Dined on 3/15/2014I love this place... it's definitely one of the best sushi places around! I just keep coming back for more.Special Features:
- Hapa sushi not bad!RoseDined on 3/12/2014I would definitely say Hapa and this restaurant is good as far as sushi and selection go. I brought my boyfriend and his friends there to celebrate a birthday. They were accommodating and reserved our table for us like I had told them. The service and food was decent. Hapa is an upper-end sushi/Japanese franchise. I wouldn't say the food is the best out there but still good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sitting on top of other tablesSushiLoverVIPDined on 3/12/2014Although I like the sushi at Hapa in Boulder, the tables are so close together that it's difficult to enjoy a meal without feeling like you're on top of the tables next to you. Also, the acoustics of the dining room are such that the noise level is unbearable. It's almost impossible to talk to someone across the table without shouting. There are lots of other sushi options in Boulder -- check them out.
- Great SushiWillDined on 3/9/2014The sushi was great, there was a fair amount of noise and the feeling was more energetic and wild then I was expecting. Would return but with an expectation of light hearted dining with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in the rockies!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/4/2014We have eaten here a couple of times while visiting Boulder, and the sushi is fresh and delicious. Presentation is nicely done, and creative options on the menu. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!!luv2eatVIPDined on 3/1/2014We had reservations here for my daughters birthday (her choice) and I have to say, she chose well! Hapa called the night before to confirm, our table was ready when promised, the girls at the front were awesome, and arranged a desert and candle for us, our server was great, the food was delicious, and the price was right!! Would highly recommend if you are in the Pearl Street area!! Reservations are a must!Special Features:
- Just Great!FoodieFanVIPDined on 2/24/2014I'm getting in the habit of dining at Hapa Sushi Grill every week when I visit my son i Boulder - we both love it! I let him order off of the sushi menu. Sometimes he surprises me with a roll we haven't tried before, but no matter what, everything is fresh and delicious. Still my absolute favorite roll is salmon and avocado and my favorite appetizer is the magic mushrooms. Getting free entertainment by street musicians eating outdoors and you can do that year-round in Boulder, is phenomenal!Special Features:
- FunDeniseVIPDined on 2/22/2014Made a reservation for 6pm - felt lucky - place was packed - , energetic , seemed the place to be - requested a special table and got it - drinks and dinner not rushed - tried a speciality drink that didn't suit me -our waiter was wonderful and replaced the drink- we enjoyed all of the food and had a wonderful time --Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Dining in Winter!FoodieFanVIPDined on 2/18/2014Hapa Sushi on Pearl Street is one of the most enjoyable patio dining experiences- even in winter. Dining in the middle of February and sitting out on the sunny patio is extraordinary! So is the food - my favorites include miso soup, magic mushroom appetizer, salmon sashimi and salmon and avocado rolls. Absolutely wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationBoulderGirlsDined on 2/11/2014We had a great birthday dinner at Hapa! The food is always fabulous, and it is so fun to share a huge platter of beautifully displayed sushi with a bunch of friends. Thank you Hapa for the great food and service!Special Features:
- We went for happy hour. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/11/2014We went for happy hour. The prices are great. The sushi was good, except for the salmon which did not seem the freshest. They have a good kids menu and provide chopsticks for the kids along with origami to keep the kids occupied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiFoodieFanVIPDined on 2/11/2014Always a great dining experience! Magic mushrooms, miso soup, salmon sashimi and salmon avocado rolls - our favorites!Special Features:
- Great!FoodieFanVIPDined on 2/4/2014I have dined at Hapa on Pearl Street in Boulder numerous times and have always, without exception, enjoyed it. Appetizers, especially the Magic Mushrooms, are amazing as are the rolls- my personal favorite, salmon and avocado. I always look forward to returning to Hapa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experiencehappyeaterDined on 1/24/2014My dinner at Hapa was one of the best dining experiences I've ever had. The food, the service, all perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Love HapaOnlyGoodSushiInBoulderDined on 1/22/2014There is a lot of bad sushi in the Boulder/Denver area. Hapa is the only sushi restaurant that is reliably fresh, 100% of the time. Every roll is delicious and their gyoza appetizer is mind blowing. They have a wide selection of sake and a long list of sake-infused cocktails, and the waiters are extremely helpful if you need help deciding. Service is always fantastic and the place is always busy -- a good sign in a sushi restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi was fresh and beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/19/2014The sushi was very well prepared. Crunch with seaweed and with tender fish pieces. Toppings delicious. Cucumber salad perfect with crispness. We love great sushi and Hapa was really the best we have had in Boulder area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.