Hapa Izakaya - Yaletown
1193 Hamilton Street
Vancouver, BC V6B5P6Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$30 and under
Hapa Izakaya - Yaletown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://hapaizakaya.com/
- Phone: (604) 681-4272
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masafumi Okuno
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Hapa Izakaya - Yaletown
Voted “Top Five Izakayas In North America” by Bon Appétit Magazine; topping “Industry and Readers Choice” Georgia Straight awards for Best Japanese in 2012 and Best Izakaya in 2011, 2012 and 2013; and “Best Casual Chain, Silver” by Vancouver Magazine in 2012. Since 2003, Hapa continues to offer a winning combination of Japanese cuisine, fun, and culture, paired with local seasonal and Ocean Wise ™ ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Hapa Izakaya - Yaletown - Best Restaurants in Yaletown ›
Hapa Izakaya - Yaletown reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (32)good for groups (22)hot spot (21)neighborhood gem (14)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (9)special occasion (7)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (7)romantic (4)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- ServiceBibiDined on 11/11/2014Everything was great but the fact that we had just finished dinner and our waitress rushed the bill on our table and was like whenever u are ready kinda made us feel like she wants us out ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic as always!JamieSVIPDined on 11/11/2014Stopped by before the hockey game - great, efficient service. Good value, and got out with time to spare before the game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceSuzanneDined on 10/30/2014We hit happy hour - 5 in our party, the place was full, we never waited or felt ignored. Staff took the time to make suggestions and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Food is always good at hapa, but of all the locations the service at the Yaletown location is not great.Special Features:
- Good experienceChrisDined on 10/6/2014I took my mom to Hapa Izakaya because a friend recommend it, and I assure you that she was right. It was a great experience but the most amazing thing was the service, he pay attention to every single detail from my email and he was really passionate about the food and explain all the menu because it was our first time there. I don't think a have to explain more that my mom ( who is really picky lol) was impressed with the food and service. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Very good but...ucbooDined on 10/4/2014Overall very good, The food is very consistent to my prev experiences, however we ordered the large sashimi salad for the first time. It was full of lettuce and hardly any sashimi. Def not worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date SpotCMacDined on 9/28/2014went here with my hubby after seeing the opera. not too busy for a sunday evening, but people were in-and-out throughout the evening. this was our first time at this location (have visited the coal harbour location) and it is definitely a great spot for a date! it's pretty cozy, trendy and has an energetic feel. our server said she was early in her career there, but she was knowledgeable enough to suggest how many tapas and which tapas we should try and everything was excellent! we had walked in 10min before our 6pm reso, and she even made an effort to get some of our order in before 6pm so we could take advantage of the happy-hour prices! she was great! would recommend to anyone for great fusion-sushi.Special Features:
- Poor serviceAmuseBoucheVIPDined on 9/24/2014This was one of the only times that an unknowledgeable server has actually disrupted a dining experience for me to the point that it was unpleasant. We asked several servers for clarification on a menu item and received the same answer. My friend and I ordered it and it was not at all what the menu or the servers said it would be. I could not have been more clear with my question, and I would expect the staff in a Japanese izakaya to know what oshi/pressed sushi is without my having to spell it out for them. The menu item turned out to be a ball of rice (listed under sushi rolls). Will not be returning here again. Go to the Kits or Robson locations if you don't want to be frustrated by staff who have no idea what they're doing.
- wasn't as good as last time......OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014We recalled the last time (July) and thought the sauces weren't quite the same - the service was lacklustre..........a couple of dishes were cold (and shouldn't have been........) but still a tasty treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticclokeDined on 9/6/2014Have been here a few times and always delivers. Food is excellent, service is prompt. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Casual neighbourhood hangoutleftwiththekeyDined on 9/6/2014The food was interesting and tasty, and reasonably priced. The servers were polite and friendly. It was very noisy, even outside. The decor throughout is uninspired--unless "crowded" is a theme. Fine for a very casual supper or hanging out with friends for drinks and appies, but definitely not the right choice for a special or romantic evening out, and by no means "fine dining".
- good but surprisingly.disappointingyummVIPDined on 8/14/2014My host was not pleased. His rating is a so-so, unlike his previous experiences at this Hapa. The dishes were tasty but small, and pricey. Delicious but not worth the menu price. Ambience was good but not worth returning. Too many other great restaurants in Yaletown to patronize!
- Fast, delicious and beautfiul food!languageadviceDined on 8/13/2014Everything we ordered, from the drinks to the food, was like a work of art...and we didn't have to wait long either! Great restaurant!Special Features:
- HapaFoodie210Dined on 8/7/2014Awesome food! Loved how you could choose lots of different meals for great prices etc. big set back- rude servers!! No smiles, asking how we are. It was my bday and she knew it and she didn't wish me a happy bday. When I asked a different server to take a pic of she took an awful one with bad lighting (didn't care about out pic). So when I asked for another she rolled her eyes and frowned!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 53 reviews are from the Hapa Izakaya - Yaletown reviews archive.
- Always consistentWongFFoodiesDined on 7/28/2014Hapa's is always my destination food place when I want good food, excellent service and perfect ambience. Best part is, they always deliver. Have introduced several groups of friends to Hapa over the years and now my daughters do the same with theirs. Keep up the great work and we will keep returning. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 👏👏highly recommendedsharrisDined on 7/12/2014Had a party of 8.... Was a Saturday evening.... Table ready, waiting....service was fantastic... And noticed every table was getting fast service.... ALL food came out piping hot... Fantastic presentation...super friendly and outgoing, extremely attractive staff.... Very reasonable pricing.... Would highly recommend to anyone... Although... This is our third visit... All three times were 6 or more with a reservation well in advance.... Not sure of walk ups... Regardless... A gem of yaletown... Two enthusiastic thumbs up!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/3/2014enjoyed the Cardova location but Yaletown even more! I would recomend arrving early and trying for the patio as the noise level inside can be too much - the food was REALLY good, with delicious sauces and outstanding pricing. We had a dinner for 2, 7 items, with beer to start and hot sake with our food for about $100.00!!!! Service was good - not particularly friendly but effecient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible serviceExieDined on 6/30/2014We had a reservation and went when it wasn't crowded but well before closing. Our server kept trying to take our food and drinks away before we were finished and rushed us out before a half an hour in the restaurant. Considering, it's is not a cheap place, this seemed truly unacceptable.
- Great SpotDoukyDined on 6/29/2014Very good food at a very fair price. Great quality and selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hapa HourBuzzingVIPDined on 6/28/2014Went and enjoyed Hapa Hour. Lots of choices, even for my vegetarian wife (lacto, ovo, pesca). We always get the kinoko ishi-yaki, but have trouble waiting for the rice to get crunchy (we're a little impatient ;).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good.anelehDined on 6/25/2014Love Hapa. The ishiaki was delicious as was the Dungenous Crab Tempura roll, ebi mayo and tuna+avocado thing. I'd eat there 3 times a week.Special Features:
- Over priced miniature portionsIeataroundDined on 5/22/2014When the two of us walked in we were seated at a table next to the kitchen, next to the grill. It was very hot and we asked to be moved. Our very friendly waitress was helpful and moved us to a much better seat. The food was unfortunately in bite sized portions and nothing special. After having ordered four dishes we left to go eat somewhere else. The udon and beef with rice was small and barely satisfactory but the sashimi serving was not tasty and tiny.
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/16/2014I've been to many hapas and i liked this one the least. location is great as its in Yale town but food was very soso to me.Special Features:
- good food but expect to waitLauraVIPDined on 5/12/2014We went with a group of 5 people and the food took forever to come. 3 of us also ordered a salad but there was a wait time of 10 minutes even between them bringing out the same salads! we ordered a roll and a rice bowl and the roll came and went and was delicious, however it was small, so we were still starving and had to wait 20 minutes for our rice bowl even though we had ordered it at the same time. It was a Monday, so they cant blame it on being a busy night. Not sure i will go back to the yaletown location unless i have 4 hours to spare for dinner.
- 48th birthday bash for 12patrickvanbcDined on 4/19/2014Had a blast. We had super awesome server who even took dying smartphones and charged them up for us. There was bachelor party that competed with my birthday -- and they were pretty fun. The food was really good. I think this is best suited for parties of 4 or 5 people just to get all the food at once. I so coming back. you rocked and made this this the highlight of my weekend birthday feeding frenzy thanks y'allSpecial Features:
- Great restaurantEstefaniaDined on 4/12/2014We had a great experience in this restaurant. The service was excellent, the food was really good. We came in at five and eight of us have to work which meant a lot of the things were ha ha that was awesome because we had the chance to try different things at a very affordable price. Overall it was a great dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't be fooled by the menuMCDLDined on 3/31/2014Although some menu items are good, overall the food is bland. There are no layers of flavors which is disappointing considering the menu is creative and sounds tasty. The atmosphere is nice and the crowd is very diverse. The service was good also. Drink menu was very interesting. They sat us by the kitchen stove and it was so blazing hot, we could not stand it. We asked to change table which they accommodated. I will not return unless with a group for drinks and appys. Was not quite worth the money spent.
- First time to this locationOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/17/2014First time to this location but not first time to Hapa Izakaya. The food at Hapa is always great. It was a busy happy hour time and yet it was quick. Brought a new friend to dine with us and they want to make a return trip to Hapa ... any location will do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ending a rainy day rightluvs2dineyaletownDined on 2/16/2014Hapa Izakaya was our last stop on a day of eating our way through Yaletown - and what a great end to the day! Great ambiance and you must try the hot stone bowls - delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food every time! CannotWineLoverDined on 2/9/2014Great food every time! Cannot go wrong here. I would watch out for very large groups on a busy night however. Service can be slow for them but always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it - food was great!FoodiesDined on 2/9/2014I read the reviews on here before going and I didn't know how much we would enjoy this place, as not all of the reviews are 5 out of 5 ;) However, it was better than we expected!!!! The atmosphere was lively, the service was efficient and the food was spectacular! Everything we had was wonderful, the only thing we ate that I would say was mediocre were the scallops. The short ribs were probably the favourite. We are pretty big foodies as are most of the friends we went with and they are had great meals as well. I would definitely recommend this for both in and out of towners :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerCantanteVIPDined on 2/8/2014This is a hip Japanese tapas restaurant with great food and wonderful service. The menu offers lots of options served family style and everything we had, served from the open kitchen that runs the length of the restaurant, was fresh and tasty. We particularly liked the short ribs, but the grilled calamari was a little tough. All things considered, I would highly recommend Hapa Izakaya for a night out in Yaletown. Very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Disappointed with the food.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/2/2014Perhaps food served during Dine Out isn't the same as the usual fare. While the service was very attentive and friendly, the food was disappointing. The ebi and avocado salad was massive, but the ebi were tasteless. The halibut tacos were a bit better, but the wrap was too much for the amount of fish that needed to be crispier. The best tasting dish was the sablefish - fish was great; the vegetables were rubbery. The last main was the rice stone bowl. While the flavour was almost too delicate to make out the ingredients, what put me off was the amount of oil the dish was swimming in. I've only heard good things about Hapa, but I have to say my experience there was not indicative of past reviews.
- Pleasantly SurprisedPoppyDined on 1/29/2014I have dined at Happa quite a few times before. It has always even pretty good, but this past Dine Out was awesome. We had a great bartender and the courses were very generous. It was a really enjoyable dinner and I left with a very happy belly. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite dine out experience yet!ifatpresDined on 1/29/2014Most importantly, the food was amazing! I was in a group of 4 and we shared every dish, so we a chance to try pretty much everything on the dine out menu. The baked sablefish was a favorite, but I could happily eat every single dish again. I also happy to see that they did not reduce the portion sizes at all, so even with all four of us there was enough for left overs at the end of the night. Aside from the food, our waitress was extremely friendly and helpful, and the atmosphere was very pleasant, busy without being overly crowded or loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BEST...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/26/2014The minute we walked in we were welcomed by a friendly smiling face. Once seated, more friendly/helpful faces can be seen (the best bunch of servers who looked after every table, disregarding who the designated server was). Food is very good with healthy portion... The four courses offered (a total of eight between my wife and myself) are well prepared, presented and served. You have to taste them to appreciate them, words can only described that much (so I rather skip it) The experience was so impressive we have already reserved for our Valentine's dinner (same chain but at a different location).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaltyOmgomgDined on 1/23/2014Overall foods are salty. The salad sauce was salty and the Yaki udon was salty too. Overall looks like a busy place but I don't think it's that busy.
- Good placeDowntownMJVIPDined on 12/29/2013Small portions but good food. Kitty cocktails are goodSpecial Features:
- So soVanfoodieDined on 12/21/2013Servers did not seem to take note of who ordered what, and plunked down the food anywhere, even if we pointed out which person ordered it. Food came promptly and was tasty but a bit forgettable. And dessert came with a nut brittle not listed on the description; we asked what kind of nut it was and the server had no idea, and the chef she asked also struggled to remember.
- Portion sizes?AirSchisDined on 12/11/2013We have been to many Japanese Izakya style restaurants both in Vancouver and Tokyo. Portion sizes here are too small even for tapas portions. In addition, we used to love the original location on Robson so gave the Yaletown eatery a try. The food itself ranged from mediocre to very good. Again, given the portion sizes are too small for the money, it is not a good value to eat here. The servers were prompt and friendly. Ambience is good.