Hapa Izakaya - Toronto
602 College Street
Toronto, ON M6G 1B4Neighborhood:
Little Italy / College St.
JapanesePrice: CAN$30 and under
Hapa Izakaya - Toronto
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://hapaizakaya.com/
- Phone: 6477484272x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 12 pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - Late
CLOSED ON MONDAYS!
HAPA HOUR- everyday from 4-6! $4 Beers and $3-13 tapas!
GUEST DJ FROM THURSDAY-SATURDAY NIGHT STARTING AT 11 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Takumi Saito
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Special Events: Industry Japanese Hip Hop Reggae every other Thursday by DJ Dikes
Guest DJ every SATURDAY ! by APPLAUSE MEDIA
@APPLAUSEMEDIA @HAPATDOT #EXCUSETOPRTY
A word from Hapa Izakaya - Toronto
Voted “Top Five Izakayas In North America” by Bon Appétit Magazine; topping “Industry and Readers Choice” Georgia Straight awards for Best Japanese in 2012 and Best Izakaya in 2011, 2012 and 2013; and “Best Casual Chain, Silver” by Vancouver Magazine in 2012, Hapa continues to offer a winning combination of Japanese cuisine, fun, and culture, paired with local seasonal and Ocean Wise ™ ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Hapa Izakaya - Toronto - Best Restaurants in Little Italy / College St. ›
Hapa Izakaya - Toronto reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (8)fit for foodies (6)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)special occasion (5)neighborhood gem (4)late-night find (3)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Great service, tasty food combos!IdreamOfSushiDined on 9/12/2014Hapa Izakaya never seems to disappoint. The tapas style dining is a great way to socialize and enjoy the company of your friends, date and/or family. The combinations of flavours and ingredients are always pleasing, and creative. There is something for everyone with all dietary needs to enjoy and their seafood is Ocean Wise certified. The staff is friendly, attentive and genuinely warm. Can't get enough!Special Features:
- Great food, friendly service!MarkhamFoodLoverDined on 9/6/2014I love Asian fusion food, however my hubby does not, so Hapa Izakaya was the perfect compromise. They serve traditional Japanese bar food (Japanese tapas) with a modern twist, but not overly fusion. Our favorite dish of the night was the Salmon Yukke. The service was excellent and we loved the bamboo sake recommendation...so cool! I would love to come back to try out more dishes!Special Features:
- Avoid Tuesday and Wednesday.DinerDined on 8/19/2014The restaurant is only half-open Tuesday and Wednesday, so it is not worth going.Special Features:
- A must try!IlovefoodDined on 8/1/2014I held my birthday dinner there last Friday and I had an amazing time! We did do the set menu since we had a party of 15. It was still great because there was 12 dishes that allowed all my guests to try a variety of their dishes. The service was phenomenal and I would highly recommend anyone to dine there! Thank you Hapa for making the evening special for me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the Hapa Hour!foodieDined on 7/19/2014I went for the Hapa Hour on a Saturday. Service was excellent. The wine selection was extensive. There were many interesting and yummy items on the Hapa Hour menu. Would prefer more choices of non-fried food items though. We had a wonderful time and would definitely visit again. They also have a $40 11-course fixe prix menu including tax and gratuity. We are interested in trying it out next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Try the house, cold sake. It's really, really good. The service was outstanding as well. We had 5 people waiting on us and it was not a slow night for them.Special Features:
- The following 37 reviews are from the Hapa Izakaya - Toronto reviews archive.
- Just so much fun!DocAMCDined on 6/11/2014Love this place. Took a group of colleagues here on a Wednesday night, which happened to be cheap beer night, and we polished off a couple of pitchers of Blanche de Chambly while tasting dish after dish of happiness! Don't miss the prawns (perfectly cooked!), the tuna sashimi (best I've ever had), and the lobster (normally I can do without - but it was amazing!). This is my third time at Hapa and love it every time.Special Features:
- Great Birthdayquiet0clientDined on 5/23/2014I was there on Friday for my girlfriends birthday and the servers were extremely accommodating and helpful and the food was fantastic. Definitely will be going againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!LovesFoodDined on 5/16/2014Wonderful service coupled with innovative menu at reasonable prices (unlike some other places in Toronto.) Lovely staff and delicious lobster roll. They go out of their way to make dinner an event. Only suggestion would be to ditch the TVs on non-big-game-nights. You're not a sports bar - you're a hot date spot with amazing food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- trendyfelifelDined on 4/30/2014very hip... only thing was that we went on a Wed and still there were so many things on the menu that was sold out. other than that all the food was excellentSpecial Features:
- 2oldDined on 4/26/2014On a Saturday night, it's a welcoming spot for loud and obnoxious pre-clubbing groups.Special Features:
- Must: Tuna Avocado Salsa Dip!!justmeNopinionsDined on 4/19/2014I had visited Hapa in Vancouver in 2 locations, so I thought I'd want to give this one a try. My boyfriend and I had the Salmon Yukke, Tuna Avocado Salsa Dip, Scallop Tartare, Fish Tacos, and Chipotle Beef Curry Ishi-Yaki. We were pretty filled after those dishes, but please remember that this is an izakaya, so don't expect huge portions. They're meant to be like tapas to enjoy while you sip on some sake. Our favourite was the Tuna Avocado Salsa Dip; they give you plenty of plantain chips to go with the salsa and the salsa is very flavourful. Everything else was also really enjoyable, although I've had better Salmon Yukke and Scallop Tartare elsewhere. Fish tacos were a little boring, I was expecting raw fish, but got battered fish instead.Special Features:
- Tasty, but small portionscharlieDined on 3/21/2014Good food, but small portions. Sushi was really small and priced more expensive than typical sushi spots. Good service and a nice location.Special Features:
- delicious and chill vibeavb1VIPDined on 3/16/2014first time visit. Loved the food, great izakaya menu, and not as noisy/energeting as some others (like Guu). Those can be fun sometimes - but sometimes you want to enjoy your meal with out staff screaming out orders, hellos and goodbyes every five minutes. Foie Gras sushi is a must try. We had a variety of dishes for the four of us and everything was beautiful and tasty. will def go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NighttaraboleVIPDined on 3/15/2014This was one of my best experiences using a groupon. I really enjoyed the food. It was fun and the coctails were great as well. The service was attentive.The foie gras sushi was delicious as were the ribs. I will most definitely return!Special Features:
- Hapa hour and fresh fishKseniaDined on 3/10/2014This restaurant has a great selection of japanese pub style food, and everything is fresh and ready quickly. Certain items are half-price for "hapa-hour' 5:30-6:30, making the restaurant much more affordable! The service is perfect and the owners and servers are incredibly friendly. The atmosphere and music etc. is also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decentweezerDined on 3/8/2014Mostly friendly and good service. Half the food was great, the other half was on the salty side. Our group ordered the fixed price menuSpecial Features:
- Try the seafood foie grasDerrickfoodieDined on 3/8/2014Came under a glass dome, smoked. Very tasty. Be sure to try the kim-chee. They make it there. super good. extensive sake/cocktail/beer selection. Fun dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hang out place with friendsMargaretDined on 3/2/2014The dishes are very tasty, but a bit small, tapas size, I guess. Great to have drinks and just hang out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & drinks! OwnersFoodDined on 2/21/2014Great food & drinks! Owners are awesome & hands on. It would be perfect for a group birthday dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBakabbDined on 2/6/2014Excellent service, excellent food, excellent environment Food are fresh and special I like the bamboo sake the best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb new tastes and flavoursyvrgirlVIPDined on 2/4/2014Second time, quiet on a weekday. Excellent non-sushi authentic Japanese dishes/tapas. Be prepared for new tastes and textures. Super friendly staff, wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Perfect night.YogaGuyDined on 2/1/2014We had a perfect night. We started with a great table and server. Two important factors to a great night. The energy of the place was so awesome on a night where the weather was pretty awful. Our food came fast but not too fast. The server was attentive but left us alone as we were on date. The music was fun. All around a perfect night. Arigatō Hapa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food served with a smileBeverlyTorontoVIPDined on 1/29/2014I went to Happa Izakaya with two co-workers as one of them was visiting from a satellite office in another country. Nonetheless, Happa's robust menu made for a perfect match with the different palates around the table. In addition to the great food and fantastic flavours we can't say enough about the friendly and energetic staff we met that nigh. A truly good spot AND it's affordable!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TapasSASADined on 1/24/2014We've been here for dinner on a number of occasions. I have also been to the Vancouver locations. Great for drinks, wine and Japanese tapas. The menu and daily specials could use some updates but overall I have a good experience every time. Will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2014My boyfriend and I really enjoyed our late dinner on Sat night. The food was delicious and flavourful, old school hip hop was playing, and the football game was on - nothing to complain about!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious1CitymomDined on 1/7/2014The food was great, service was prompt and friendly and the atmosphere was comfortable and inviting. I love Japanese food and its nice to have an alternative to just sushi...I would go back and reco to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was averageYupstersDined on 1/3/2014The service was good, but the good was only average. Sushi was overpriced and not worth it. The starters were good, especially the tacos. Sashimi was good also.
- Too loudJoJoDined on 11/30/2013Staff were great but food was just so-so. too few selections and they didn't taste exceptionally good. the noise level was TERRIBLE. I find this place is more like a bar/club (by the noise level, the music they played and the way their staff dressed. They were most busy after 9pm rather than the usual dinner time), they had the music on very loud that you can hardly have a conversation with others, and people around speak loudly because of that too, very uncomfortable. So if you are looking for a more authentic japanese izakaya place, i would not suggest Hapa.Special Features:
- We came for the Omakase3oldfoodiefriendsDined on 11/23/201311 course set menu was delicious and the portions were just right - we were stuffed by the time that the last course came out. And the servers were just lovely people - very helpful with recommending sake for folks who have never had any sake beyond the house stuff you get with your usual sushi fare! Music was a bit loud but I'm sure that's subjective and probably has more to do with our aging hearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience, second timeCatlalo123Dined on 11/22/2013Great experience, second time there... Would def recommend and will frequently go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Want Hapa in my neighbourhoodNNNNNDined on 11/12/2013I love to have one of these in my neighbourhood. Friendly staff. Good service and tasty menu. First visit but will definitely go back. Favourites include scallop tartare and ika wasa. Nice twist on gyozas using lotus root. Dishes are great for sharing. Atmosphere is hip, fun and casual. Went with friends but I would definite sit at the bar on my own. Wish I lived closer....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Interesting ExperienceJuniperMeVIPDined on 10/5/2013That was quite an experience :) The staff was quite incredible and very friendly - but caution it's a VERY energetic place in terms of noise levels :) The food was great, very fresh and unique flavours - something more interesting that your typical sushi experience. Deifntiely would reocmmend to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2013Great food, service and ambiance! I would recommend this to everyone that loves sushi in an energetic and lively restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely going backTimWVIPDined on 7/5/2013Simply put, wow. Definitely a place we'd go back to. Only drawback is the loud music. Compared to Guu, Fin, and Don Don... I think I'd prefer Hapa. Every dish tasted amazing, and left us wanting more. Good thing we stopped b/c it'd be pretty darn pricey otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fusion of too many concepts.bidoDined on 7/4/2013Wait wasnt worth the food, even had to wait for drinks...
- So different and awesomeyvrgirlVIPDined on 7/4/2013It's so great to try something new! Each Japanese tapas dish is so unique and delicious. Very hip feel to the large room, trendy music but dark walls and scantily dressed servers caters to a younger crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappoint!LoveHapaDined on 6/30/2013Had a great time at Hapa Toronto. Great food with friendly and attentive service in a chic, modern space, Hapa Toronto is a one-of-a-kind in the city. Go with a bunch of friends to increase the variety of dishes (as you will want to try everything on the menu) or with a hot date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always look forward to Hapa IzakayabeccaDined on 6/28/2013All my friends and I really like this restaurant. We were all waiting anxiously for our Friday reservations to catch up, enjoy good food and good music too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't go back.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2013First they lost my reservations. Don't really know how that happens since I used open table but they accommodated. My guest got there first and asked about the tasting menu. The wait staff said there wasn't one. We asked again when I arrived as I knew there was a tasting menu and the staff changed their answer and said they do but can't do it on a Friday with a small table of two. Ok fine so we order a bunch of other items. Food wasn't bad but wasn't great. GUU is far better. The restaurant environment was dark with candles, very loud with staff who in my opinion were not dressed appropriately. If I wanted to see midriff I would watch an old Christina Aguilera video. Overall would not be return. For the money spent I would go to Guu.