Hapa Izakaya - Robson
1479 Robson Street
Vancouver, BC V6G1C1Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$30 and under
Hapa Izakaya - Robson
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://hapaizakaya.com/
- Phone: 6046894272
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Iwai Toshiyuki
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Hapa West End can accommodate large parties.
To ensure exceptional service for groups of 12 or more guests participation in our $29.99 prix-fixe menu is mandatory.
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Banno 6043406202
A word from Hapa Izakaya - Robson
Voted “Top Five Izakayas In North America” by Bon Appétit Magazine; topping “Industry and Readers Choice” Georgia Straight awards for Best Japanese in 2012 and Best Izakaya in 2011, 2012 and 2013; and “Best Casual Chain, Silver” by Vancouver Magazine in 2012. Since 2003, Hapa continues to offer a winning combination of Japanese cuisine, fun, and culture, paired with local seasonal and Ocean Wise ™ ingredientsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Hapa Izakaya - Robson - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Hapa Izakaya - Robson reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (24)fit for foodies (21)special occasion (15)hot spot (14)late-night find (12)romantic (8)vibrant bar scene (8)neighborhood gem (8)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good Value!!RichardDined on 8/9/2014Overall, all dishes were excellent. One that could have been better - Beef Tataki.Special Features:
- Hapa on Robson delights!delishdiningDined on 8/3/2014Food was delish, service was great and best of all the music for a Summer Sunday evening was amazing! Loved the reggae vibe!! You really can't beat the Happy Hour menu - always a good deal and always yummy! Thanks Hapa on Robson - we will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great service!foodieDined on 7/25/2014The food&service was impeccable! We originally made reservations for 10. I called the night before to increase the reservation to 15 as we had last minute additions and Hapa Robson was so kind to increase our reservation size. When we arrived at our table, we were seated in a great spot! Everything was fantastic! The food was sensational as always and the service outstanding!! Unfortunately only 10 of our 15 guests showed up...I felt awful for calling to increase the reservation size. But they didn't to mind..we'll at least I hope they didnt. Thank You to the Hapa Robson team for a wonderful evening!! We all had so much fun! And a special thank you to OpenTable! What a innovative way to make reservations!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vancouver visitorKuMoeDeeDined on 7/25/2014I make my way up to Vancouver once every 2 - 3 years and each time I keep coming back to this place because the food is so good. Great selection of oysters and the Beef Tataki is a must have. I only gave the service 4 stars just because our server forgot to bring an item but she made up for it by buying dessert. Staff is very friendly and I love the whole vibe. Good times.Special Features:
- Tasty!Icequeen26Dined on 7/18/2014The Ebi mayo was yummy along with the short ribs! There wasn't a dish I didn't like but I would have liked bigger portions!Special Features:
- Great izakaya diningtimbDined on 7/12/2014We stopped in for "Hapa Hour". Discounted menu selection was great. Food quality was outstanding. Terrific service. Super presentation. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected Great EveningMeowmeowDined on 7/11/2014I came here for my 2 year anniversary because Hapa Robson is where my bf and I first met. It was a magical evening! I was greeted relaxed and warmly by the one of the managers named 'Mao' of the restaurant and given a choice between 2 tables (love that!). He was very easy going about the fact I needed to leave for 10 min although I hadn't ordered yet. Upon coming back (Mao had noticed that I in the notes of the reso I wrote 'anniversary') there were 2 champagne glasses of sparkling Umeshu...wow!! Then he basically walked us through our evening. He was friendly but still took his job seriously and he checked in often but not too much. I was really impressed and the customer service was what made my anniversary night really special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.BerryunhappyDined on 7/11/2014This is my very favorite restarunt. We came in all the from Langley for dinner and I was really disappointed. While the food was good as always. The service was really poor. We had to call the server over to order she gave us attitude the whole night. Never really checked on us. Anytime we wanted to order more food or drink we had to track her down. The food was really slow to come out of the kitchen. Over all not impressed. This service and speed is not usual for this restarunt so I'm hoping it was just an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hapa Hour!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/10/2014Great hapa hour selections. It was perfect for our big group!Special Features:
- Fun and delishDandylionDined on 7/5/2014Hapa Izakaya was a great place to celebrate my son's 21st birthday - we had a small group and booked a fairly early slot because we were having a party afterwards. The food was fantastic, service very kind, friendly and prompt, and they even made him a small birthday dessert with a candle and came and sang HB. Everyone loved their food and I always enjoy the giant bamboo sake containers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS ON THE LIST WHEN IN VAN!!GotstagotsahaveitDined on 7/4/2014I have been to the Yaletown and Robson restaurants multiple times and I love them both!!! We go back to the Robson because I have always appreciated the kind and generous staff at that location!! We can always find parking very close by. The ebi mayo, may be overlooked as a standard item, but it is really where the bar is set. So Good!!! I also love the Gindara, Ika...have to get the Negitoro EVERY TIME! I can't say enough about this place!! Yaletown has a bit of a different fresh sheet, love the paper bag prawns and the squid bits with curry salt....and there is a particularly lovely lady server that we met at Robson but normally works out of Yaletown who has made our visits extra friendly. RUN don't walk!!! Hapa hour YO!!Special Features:
- RichardDined on 6/27/2014Some good creative dishes. One or two were over-cooked, some excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious small eatseatyourfaceoffDined on 6/10/2014First time dining at Hapa on Robson. Our dinner reservation for three people was early in the week, so the place was not super busy. Each dish was really good. The BC Spot Prawn sashimi was incredibly fresh and delicious. Nice that they deep fry the heads to enjoy, too. Only a couple negative things: the food all came out at once and we had little table space, and there was a long wait for the last dish (Tuna Carpaccio). Overall experience was great and I'd go back to enjoy more fresh seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- high quality tasty tapas, livelyhappy4hapaDined on 5/24/2014amazing flavours and presentation. top notch service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeRossDined on 5/24/2014A great place to dine, always great service! This was my 5th time going there and I am always impressed.Special Features:
- well done.........lovegoodfoodDined on 5/17/2014I really appreciated that my reservation reason was read and commented on to me when our party arrived. the servers took time to wish my son "happy birthday", and acknowledged that he was aslo in the restaurant business.......... I, myself, haven't been to Hapa Izakaya for at least a couple of years, but the food was just as wonderful as it was when we first started coming into Vancouver years ago to the first Japanese Infusion restaurant we'd ever been to! Others in our group go more frequently than I do! But we all had a good time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 65 reviews are from the Hapa Izakaya - Robson reviews archive.
- 10 out of 10...except...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/201410 out of 10 except the oysters. They were a 5 at best. Fishy aftertaste and not enough toppings. We order 12 oysters and they only gave enough topping/dressing for a few.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and reasonable pricepumaDined on 4/19/2014We got there before 6:30 so we got happy hour deal which is great deal! All the food was tasty and reasonable price. Food presentation was nice too. The only thing was that we did have reservation but the table they prepared wasn't great. It was close to the door so every time people comes in we kind got distracted. Overall experience was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mau and general managerGeorgieporgieDined on 4/18/2014Had the best dining experience in a long time. I talked with mau over the phone he was so kind he even called me back to confirm my table which he confirmed over the phone. Had an amazing table thanks to mau who took the time and effort to make my experience great one. The general manager was very attentive and understanding. Overall I will be there most definetly.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service not so goodBrinDined on 4/18/2014We have always enjoyed hapa Izakaya. We were seated a little before 630. We were given menus and about 30 seconds later a gentleman in a very rushed tone said 'last call for happy hour'. We said thank you and he said 'what's your order'. We had no idea it was happy hour and now had 15 seconds to quickly order something if wanted to take advantage of the 50% discount. It took about another 10 min to get water and our drink orders taken. The restaurant was not busy. For the rest of the evening we were constantly trying to get a server, any servers, attention to order more food/drinks. We will return for the food, but the service could use some brushing up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weeeeeb00mDined on 3/26/2014Love the vibe and friendliness of the staff. Food has been amazing here every single time and this is easily my favourite location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatGetInMyBellyDined on 3/22/2014Great place for small group events. Food is very good and drinks are second to noneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usual!!subieDined on 3/15/2014Great place to have dinner. Food and service always top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love HapaBabygiirlDined on 3/9/2014My family and I ordered from the Hapa Hour menu (5:30pm-6:30pm) which was very cheap. My favourite was the Ebi Mayo and the Negitoro which incorporated garlic bread in the entree. The presentation for each item was simple yet very appetizing. The restaurant is big and very spacious. It wasn't very busy so our orders arrived very fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happa hour the best !WendyDined on 3/8/2014Superb food, super friendly staff, great deals On 1/2 price tappas loved it all ! Can't wait to go Back !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisemrsk1Dined on 2/28/2014The food was excellent. But the music was at times too loud and made it difficult to hear the wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014How can you complain if you walk in the door and always be welcomed by a smiling & friendly face... Food is good and service is excellent. Servers are friendly, helpful and most of all always with a smiling face. You can feel the vibe in there... Great place!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i thoughy it would be better.BcchiccDined on 2/7/2014Dishes were small. Felt like they were priced high for what they were. Nothing really that creative or original. The pork fried rice was good and the spicy shrimp. It was alright, i would go back only to take à friend who hasnt been if we were really hungry.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't need to go to Tokyo!luveatinDined on 2/7/2014We were fortunate to have the 4 course Dine Out menu - a huge bang for the bucks. But, the quality of the food is as good or better than you would get in Tokyo in a comparable restaurant and definitely a bargain at our Vancouver prices, even ordering from the regular menu. The presentation of the dishes makes it a shame that you have to eat the food! The Cordova St. Hapa is a bit more glitzy, but this Robson one is more cosy and, in both places, you are cheerily and noisily greeted (you may be surprised). A happening kind of place with tour groups from the close-by hotels also part of the crowd; thus, our Friday evening dinner was "spirited" but in a fun kind of way. Go! Eat! Enjoy!Special Features:
- Great Food but felt rushedfishloverDined on 2/2/2014I was there on the last night of dine out. It was surprisingly not busy, maybe because of the super bowl. The food was very good, but all our 4 dish selections were on the table within 20 minutes of sitting down. I like to take my time when eating, but I felt rushed and felt the pressure to eat faster. I would appreciate if they waited until one course was finished before you drop the next one on the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/2/2014Everything was fantastic. However I wish they has turned the music volume down. I could barely hear my date!Special Features:
- Awesome!ChewyDined on 2/1/2014Dinner was fantastic, super friendly and helpful staff. Great atmosphere and the ebi mayo is amazing! Also had a delicious tuna dish, BBQ shortribs and the raw oysters. Oysters were great with the delicious accompanying sauces. Definitely will be back for Hapa Hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful nightPhilipDined on 1/31/2014Great staff, very accommodating for my party of 16. Atmosphere was good and the evening was fantastic , the dom was tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern JapanesephilipsethDined on 1/31/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the prix fixe menu and thought it represented good value for money. Our server was very attentive. Service was swift and unobtrusive. Fun atmosphere. Food was wonderful.Special Features:
- Great Place to eat!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014We had the dine out menu. You can definitely get your money worth and it was delicious! The atmosphere and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Izayaka FareScottinVanDined on 1/28/2014I don't get to Hapa (there are 3 in Vancouver as of this writing, this was Robson St) very often as Japanese food is not my partner's favourite cuisine. I had the Dine-Out Vancouver menu; often these are cost-reduced (and quality-reduced) dining experiences, but I enjoyed each of the 4 courses (or maybe it was 5...). All well flavoured and presented with fine-dining style.Special Features:
- Excellent Food Excellent ServiceStanleyDined on 1/25/2014I am impressed by the variety and quality of food with a set menu offered at$28. Service is excellent too. You have a feeling that you are their honorable guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow DOWNtofulandDined on 1/25/2014The servers at the restaurant were extremely energetic as they yell "welcome" and "thank you" to customers. At the same time, they were walking very fast to get their tasks done as this kind of defeated the notion of "fine dining" and taking time to enjoy my dinner. And somehow after the dinner, my bf and I both got a stomach ache.Special Features:
- Food was ok. service lacking.KodagirlDined on 1/24/2014We went for a romantic dinner. One server gave us the menus, another took our order two people dropped our food off as after thoughts and we never saw another server until we flagged one down to request the bill. Will not return
- Amazing Food - Great PricesMarciaDined on 1/18/2014Hapa is one of my favourite restuarants in Vancouver. The service is always good. The food is exceptional and the prices are great. We go as often as we can.Special Features: