Hapa Izakaya - Robson
1479 Robson Street
Vancouver, BC V6G1C1Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$30 and under
Hapa Izakaya - Robson
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://hapaizakaya.com/
- Phone: 6046894272
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Iwai Toshiyuki
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Hapa West End can accommodate large parties.
To ensure exceptional service for groups of 12 or more guests participation in our $29.99 prix-fixe menu is mandatory.
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Banno 6043406202
A word from Hapa Izakaya - Robson
Voted “Top Five Izakayas In North America” by Bon Appétit Magazine; topping “Industry and Readers Choice” Georgia Straight awards for Best Japanese in 2012 and Best Izakaya in 2011, 2012 and 2013; and “Best Casual Chain, Silver” by Vancouver Magazine in 2012. Since 2003, Hapa continues to offer a winning combination of Japanese cuisine, fun, and culture, paired with local seasonal and Ocean Wise ™ ingredientsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Hapa Izakaya - Robson - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Hapa Izakaya - Robson reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (31)good for groups (29)special occasion (19)late-night find (18)hot spot (18)neighborhood gem (17)romantic (11)vibrant bar scene (10)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Always fun, reliable, consistentCooperscallingDined on 10/17/2014Good food, fun ambiance, good service. Perhaps a little noisy if you're hoping to chat with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably greatRickDined on 10/13/2014Although this was my first time at this location I have been to the other locations many times . As always , the food and service were excellent . The menu is always interesting with more than just the usual sushi , tempura and udon . Great recipes and fresh , top of the line ingredients . Price is OK . Ambient music is intrusive .Special Features:
- DelicioustruluvanglDined on 10/8/2014The food is always great here and good service that's why we keep returning. It didn't quite open at 5:30 but that's ok. I like this location because they have high chairs and are accommodating with our little toddler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always funYYZgVIPDined on 8/28/2014Been to this place over and over and there's never a bad evening. You will notice the friendly level of service and the time the servers take to make sure you're enjoying your experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional service from the startOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014As soon as I got in the door, the service was top notch! The manager wanted to make sure our baby was safe and I wanted to make sure she was out of everybody's way too! Majority of the female staff loved playing with our baby, as she giggled, laughed and waved to whoever wanted to say 'hi'. We arrived there when they first opened up, we did receive our food 'fast and furious!' It was a blessing in disguise because an hour later, it started to get busy! Although ambitious, we didn't know it was 'hapa hour' so we almost order 2 of each orders + the recommended sashimi platter by our server. Hapa deserved the 20% tip for that evening...exceptional service, great food, and hapa place to be!Special Features:
- amazing dinner!jhk27VIPDined on 8/23/2014my fiance and i went to hapa izakaya on robson for dinner while we were in vancouver over the weekend. it was absolutely incredible. the service was superb and the food even better. been to many izakaya type restaurants and this was by far the best. the specials are truly the cream of the crop - make sure you try at least 1-2 of them in addition to the ebi mayo and halibut tacos!Special Features:
- Never disappointedLuv2dineDined on 8/23/2014Our family loves going to Hapa. Food is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I couldn't believe it's a chain!LetsEatOutDined on 8/19/2014We've been dining at Hapa for years when we visit Vancouver, and I had no idea it was a chain. We generally don't eat in chains. The food is excellent and there are so many interesting choices. The salads are always so fresh, the sushi rolls are great, and the quality is always very high. We also love spinach gomae, ebi mayo, and tofu. Happy hours small plates are really a bargain, and you can try lots of things.Special Features:
- Good Value!!RichardDined on 8/9/2014Overall, all dishes were excellent. One that could have been better - Beef Tataki.Special Features:
- Hapa on Robson delights!delishdiningDined on 8/3/2014Food was delish, service was great and best of all the music for a Summer Sunday evening was amazing! Loved the reggae vibe!! You really can't beat the Happy Hour menu - always a good deal and always yummy! Thanks Hapa on Robson - we will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great service!foodieDined on 7/25/2014The food&service was impeccable! We originally made reservations for 10. I called the night before to increase the reservation to 15 as we had last minute additions and Hapa Robson was so kind to increase our reservation size. When we arrived at our table, we were seated in a great spot! Everything was fantastic! The food was sensational as always and the service outstanding!! Unfortunately only 10 of our 15 guests showed up...I felt awful for calling to increase the reservation size. But they didn't to mind..we'll at least I hope they didnt. Thank You to the Hapa Robson team for a wonderful evening!! We all had so much fun! And a special thank you to OpenTable! What a innovative way to make reservations!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vancouver visitorKuMoeDeeDined on 7/25/2014I make my way up to Vancouver once every 2 - 3 years and each time I keep coming back to this place because the food is so good. Great selection of oysters and the Beef Tataki is a must have. I only gave the service 4 stars just because our server forgot to bring an item but she made up for it by buying dessert. Staff is very friendly and I love the whole vibe. Good times.Special Features:
- Tasty!Icequeen26Dined on 7/18/2014The Ebi mayo was yummy along with the short ribs! There wasn't a dish I didn't like but I would have liked bigger portions!Special Features:
- Great izakaya diningtimbDined on 7/12/2014We stopped in for "Hapa Hour". Discounted menu selection was great. Food quality was outstanding. Terrific service. Super presentation. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected Great EveningMeowmeowDined on 7/11/2014I came here for my 2 year anniversary because Hapa Robson is where my bf and I first met. It was a magical evening! I was greeted relaxed and warmly by the one of the managers named 'Mao' of the restaurant and given a choice between 2 tables (love that!). He was very easy going about the fact I needed to leave for 10 min although I hadn't ordered yet. Upon coming back (Mao had noticed that I in the notes of the reso I wrote 'anniversary') there were 2 champagne glasses of sparkling Umeshu...wow!! Then he basically walked us through our evening. He was friendly but still took his job seriously and he checked in often but not too much. I was really impressed and the customer service was what made my anniversary night really special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.BerryunhappyDined on 7/11/2014This is my very favorite restarunt. We came in all the from Langley for dinner and I was really disappointed. While the food was good as always. The service was really poor. We had to call the server over to order she gave us attitude the whole night. Never really checked on us. Anytime we wanted to order more food or drink we had to track her down. The food was really slow to come out of the kitchen. Over all not impressed. This service and speed is not usual for this restarunt so I'm hoping it was just an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hapa Hour!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/10/2014Great hapa hour selections. It was perfect for our big group!Special Features:
- Fun and delishDandylionDined on 7/5/2014Hapa Izakaya was a great place to celebrate my son's 21st birthday - we had a small group and booked a fairly early slot because we were having a party afterwards. The food was fantastic, service very kind, friendly and prompt, and they even made him a small birthday dessert with a candle and came and sang HB. Everyone loved their food and I always enjoy the giant bamboo sake containers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS ON THE LIST WHEN IN VAN!!GotstagotsahaveitDined on 7/4/2014I have been to the Yaletown and Robson restaurants multiple times and I love them both!!! We go back to the Robson because I have always appreciated the kind and generous staff at that location!! We can always find parking very close by. The ebi mayo, may be overlooked as a standard item, but it is really where the bar is set. So Good!!! I also love the Gindara, Ika...have to get the Negitoro EVERY TIME! I can't say enough about this place!! Yaletown has a bit of a different fresh sheet, love the paper bag prawns and the squid bits with curry salt....and there is a particularly lovely lady server that we met at Robson but normally works out of Yaletown who has made our visits extra friendly. RUN don't walk!!! Hapa hour YO!!Special Features:
- RichardDined on 6/27/2014Some good creative dishes. One or two were over-cooked, some excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 69 reviews are from the Hapa Izakaya - Robson reviews archive.
- Delicious small eatseatyourfaceoffDined on 6/10/2014First time dining at Hapa on Robson. Our dinner reservation for three people was early in the week, so the place was not super busy. Each dish was really good. The BC Spot Prawn sashimi was incredibly fresh and delicious. Nice that they deep fry the heads to enjoy, too. Only a couple negative things: the food all came out at once and we had little table space, and there was a long wait for the last dish (Tuna Carpaccio). Overall experience was great and I'd go back to enjoy more fresh seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- high quality tasty tapas, livelyhappy4hapaDined on 5/24/2014amazing flavours and presentation. top notch service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeRossDined on 5/24/2014A great place to dine, always great service! This was my 5th time going there and I am always impressed.Special Features:
- well done.........lovegoodfoodDined on 5/17/2014I really appreciated that my reservation reason was read and commented on to me when our party arrived. the servers took time to wish my son "happy birthday", and acknowledged that he was aslo in the restaurant business.......... I, myself, haven't been to Hapa Izakaya for at least a couple of years, but the food was just as wonderful as it was when we first started coming into Vancouver years ago to the first Japanese Infusion restaurant we'd ever been to! Others in our group go more frequently than I do! But we all had a good time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10 out of 10...except...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/201410 out of 10 except the oysters. They were a 5 at best. Fishy aftertaste and not enough toppings. We order 12 oysters and they only gave enough topping/dressing for a few.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and reasonable pricepumaDined on 4/19/2014We got there before 6:30 so we got happy hour deal which is great deal! All the food was tasty and reasonable price. Food presentation was nice too. The only thing was that we did have reservation but the table they prepared wasn't great. It was close to the door so every time people comes in we kind got distracted. Overall experience was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mau and general managerGeorgieporgieDined on 4/18/2014Had the best dining experience in a long time. I talked with mau over the phone he was so kind he even called me back to confirm my table which he confirmed over the phone. Had an amazing table thanks to mau who took the time and effort to make my experience great one. The general manager was very attentive and understanding. Overall I will be there most definetly.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service not so goodBrinDined on 4/18/2014We have always enjoyed hapa Izakaya. We were seated a little before 630. We were given menus and about 30 seconds later a gentleman in a very rushed tone said 'last call for happy hour'. We said thank you and he said 'what's your order'. We had no idea it was happy hour and now had 15 seconds to quickly order something if wanted to take advantage of the 50% discount. It took about another 10 min to get water and our drink orders taken. The restaurant was not busy. For the rest of the evening we were constantly trying to get a server, any servers, attention to order more food/drinks. We will return for the food, but the service could use some brushing up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weeeeeb00mDined on 3/26/2014Love the vibe and friendliness of the staff. Food has been amazing here every single time and this is easily my favourite location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatGetInMyBellyDined on 3/22/2014Great place for small group events. Food is very good and drinks are second to noneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usual!!subieDined on 3/15/2014Great place to have dinner. Food and service always top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love HapaBabygiirlDined on 3/9/2014My family and I ordered from the Hapa Hour menu (5:30pm-6:30pm) which was very cheap. My favourite was the Ebi Mayo and the Negitoro which incorporated garlic bread in the entree. The presentation for each item was simple yet very appetizing. The restaurant is big and very spacious. It wasn't very busy so our orders arrived very fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happa hour the best !WendyDined on 3/8/2014Superb food, super friendly staff, great deals On 1/2 price tappas loved it all ! Can't wait to go Back !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisemrsk1Dined on 2/28/2014The food was excellent. But the music was at times too loud and made it difficult to hear the wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014How can you complain if you walk in the door and always be welcomed by a smiling & friendly face... Food is good and service is excellent. Servers are friendly, helpful and most of all always with a smiling face. You can feel the vibe in there... Great place!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i thoughy it would be better.BcchiccDined on 2/7/2014Dishes were small. Felt like they were priced high for what they were. Nothing really that creative or original. The pork fried rice was good and the spicy shrimp. It was alright, i would go back only to take à friend who hasnt been if we were really hungry.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't need to go to Tokyo!luveatinDined on 2/7/2014We were fortunate to have the 4 course Dine Out menu - a huge bang for the bucks. But, the quality of the food is as good or better than you would get in Tokyo in a comparable restaurant and definitely a bargain at our Vancouver prices, even ordering from the regular menu. The presentation of the dishes makes it a shame that you have to eat the food! The Cordova St. Hapa is a bit more glitzy, but this Robson one is more cosy and, in both places, you are cheerily and noisily greeted (you may be surprised). A happening kind of place with tour groups from the close-by hotels also part of the crowd; thus, our Friday evening dinner was "spirited" but in a fun kind of way. Go! Eat! Enjoy!Special Features:
- Great Food but felt rushedfishloverDined on 2/2/2014I was there on the last night of dine out. It was surprisingly not busy, maybe because of the super bowl. The food was very good, but all our 4 dish selections were on the table within 20 minutes of sitting down. I like to take my time when eating, but I felt rushed and felt the pressure to eat faster. I would appreciate if they waited until one course was finished before you drop the next one on the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/2/2014Everything was fantastic. However I wish they has turned the music volume down. I could barely hear my date!Special Features:
- Awesome!ChewyDined on 2/1/2014Dinner was fantastic, super friendly and helpful staff. Great atmosphere and the ebi mayo is amazing! Also had a delicious tuna dish, BBQ shortribs and the raw oysters. Oysters were great with the delicious accompanying sauces. Definitely will be back for Hapa Hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.