Hapa Izakaya Coal Harbour
909 West Cordova Street, Vancouver Waterfront Centre Office Tower, Cordova Street Entrance
Vancouver, BC V6C 0A7Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$30 and under
Hapa Izakaya Coal Harbour
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hapaizakaya.com/
- Phone: (604) 420-4272
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30am -3:00pm, Monday-Friday
Hapa Hour: 3:00pm-5:30pm, Monday-Friday (1/2 Priced Tapas, $4 Beer & $5 Wine)
Dinner: 5:30pm - Late Monday-Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Nobutake Watanabe
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Come celebrate an event with us in our Private Dining Space which sits up to 16 guests. The space can be closed off for an event which requires complete privacy. An excellent choice for birthdays, office functions and other gatherings!
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Banno 604-420-4272x
A word from Hapa Izakaya Coal Harbour
Voted “Top Five Izakayas In North America” by Bon Appétit Magazine in 2011; topping “Industry and Readers Choice” 2012 awards for Best Japanese and Best Izakaya in the Georgia Straight weekly: and “Best Casual Chain, Silver” by Vancouver Magazine in 2012, Hapa Izakaya offers a winning combination of a sexy room, well-priced portions of Japanese tapas, sushi, cocktails and premium sake. When Lea and Justin Ault introduced Hapa in 2003 they exploded the izakaya concept in Vancouver, setting the bar high for the host of contenders that followed. In 2010 Hapa was the first izakaya to join the Vancouver Aquarium’s Ocean Wise™ seafood conservation program and one of only a handful of Japanese restaurant partners in the program to date. Hapa continues to be a standout for its unique blend of food, fun and culture.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Hapa Izakaya Coal Harbour - Best Restaurants in Coal Harbour ›
Hapa Izakaya Coal Harbour reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (41)fit for foodies (39)good for groups (39)hot spot (29)special occasion (26)scenic view (20)vibrant bar scene (20)great for outdoor dining (19)neighborhood gem (15)late-night find (13)romantic (9)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014Excellent service from the time you enter, to the entire dining experience. Very attentive staff. Food is outstanding, specially the rolls. Only downside is, the noise level is quite high. Not ideal for a business meeting. Great for socials and small talk though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The noise overwhelmed the great food and serviceRickDined on 11/15/2014We love the food and service but the background techno electro beat was so loud we couldn't enjoy ourselves . And , of course , everyone else was shouting to be heard above the din which made things worse . We LOVE it , but cannot come back .Special Features:
- Good, but there are better Izakayas in town...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014Loud, energetic place that would be fun with a group, but the service wasn't great, and for what you pay, the food wasn't much different from your average sushi bar. If you're realy looking for a great Izakaya experience, try the original Guu or Kingyo instead.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour Gemfongster67Dined on 11/7/2014Had a group of 4 for an early evening dinner before the football game. Arrived 10 minutes before the end of happy hour (HH) and started ordering from the HH menu. Good selection and very tasty. Service could be better as they only came around to call for last orders for HH but didn't come around often enough to check after that.Special Features:
- Amazing placeCon911Dined on 11/7/2014Never disappoints!! Love this place! Always bring a new group of friends o check it our and nobody ever has anything bad to say. Excellent customer service:) - I love the Hapa HourSpecial Features:
- RoostVIPDined on 11/5/2014The music is really loud. They have 5 white wines by the glass and no one could tell us what was in the blend. The wine we ordered wasn't chilled. They recovered very well by treating us to chilled glasses while the bottle chilled. They guided us well in recommending the right number of plates and not getting too much food - most appreciated. But then then nailed us with all our food at once. Although we were hoping for a relaxing and leisurely meal, it ended up being rushed. The food was insanely good but our evening was a big disappointment.
- Best Sushi in VancouverJamieSVIPDined on 10/28/2014Always consistently great food and service. Strongly recommend.Special Features:
- Lunch stop b4 seeing the Dalai Lamamyreview4uDined on 10/21/2014Decided on Hapa for 2 reasons: 1) It's very close to the Convention Centre and 2) we've had Hapa Izakaya before at their Robson and Yaletown locations so we were familiar with the menu, the cost and more importantly the delicious taste of their tapas and other dishes. We ordered the fried tofu, thick udon fried noodle dish, edamame and ebi mayo. We usually would add a tuna appy or the hot stone rice bowl. All good picks. Overall great and my friend said she thought it was the best of all their locations. I think I would have to agree. It's a beautiful space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, good vibes!TheMatador87Dined on 10/3/2014Went for Lunch on Friday with a gal friend. Good times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!JamieSVIPDined on 9/30/2014I've been here a few times and the quality of food and service always impresses. I would strongly recommend Hapa to anyone who hasn't tried it yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grrrreatCon911Dined on 9/17/2014I've been to Hapa on many occasions and it never dissapoints. I'm glad I took my co-workers there for Hapa Hour. Everyone loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shabusenDined on 9/13/2014Food was very good and tasty plus the dishes were well presented. The only downside was the high noise level which made it difficult to speak with everyone in the party.Special Features:
- Nice place, interesting foodLadybugcecVIPDined on 9/9/2014This is a decent place to go for tapas style Japanese eats. It would be a good place to go after work with people for drinks and snacks. The food is not traditional Japanese, but a bit more modern. We liked several of the things we had. Not incredibly impressed with the cocktails, they were either very sweet or very boozey and almost too strong. I think I should have had wine instead but was trying out something new.Special Features:
- TycoDined on 8/27/2014The food was not great and the place was too loud. The servers really need to wear more clothing and drop the attitude.
- good as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014food and service is excellent. My favorite lunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Con911Dined on 8/18/2014Amazing food - Happy Hour is the best! Always go after work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnerVIPDined on 8/15/2014Really good food but the noise level will keep me from going back unless the outdoor seating is available.Special Features:
- Regret being adventurous on menuGenuinefeedbackDined on 8/12/2014Food was meh at best. Ordered ~11 items and half was disappointing. I would not order any of their fusion type of food. Soft shell crab was just soft shell sauce. Seafood yakisoba taste worst than refridgerated instant ramen. Scallop tartare was lack-luster in taste or presentation for its price. There's enough sodium in tuna carpaccio and spicy soft shell crab to ration to a small village for 3 days. Spicy pork ishi-yaki is unforgettable, but is something we would like to forget. Rice in stone bowl shouldnt become risotto. Jindara, ika, and chicken karage are positive in experience. Cheese tofu is remarkable.Special Features:
- Disappointing drop offTowner54Dined on 8/9/2014Dined on the outdoor patio. Service was slow, inattentive and disoriented. Food was only "okay". A disappointing drop off from previous visits. What's with the vampish leather dresses and tattoos worn by many of the serving staff? Certainly appears that staff training and standards levels are not what they once were. A off night? Perhaps but let's see if they are paying attnetion .
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/7/2014I've been to the other Hapa Izakaya locations and this one is probably my least favourite. The food is very tasty but the atmosphere at the Hapas is kind of tacky now. It is obvious they are trying to be an "Asian Joey's" with indifferent female wait staff in skimpy outfits. There was no one manning the hostess table and I stood waiting for several minutes until a male server was able to assist. Everyone else seemed to be hanging around the bar or chatting. I gave 4 stars for service only because of the male waiter, he was polite and attentive which is more than I can say for the female server who brought the credit card machine and barely said 2 words. overall the food was tastey but I wouldn't go back.
- ServiceLuvFoodDined on 7/31/2014I find that the host/hostess should be more knowledgeable in the good items on the menu. I was with my daughter for lunch and the hostess had to go back a few times and ask the kitchen staff about the food we are ordering had gluten or not. We asked if there was a gluten free menu (we had to ask as she did not offer - she probably did not know they even had a list). She finally gave us a gluten free menu but just left us with this menu. Definitely not knowledgeable (she looked a bit frustrated with the many questions we asked about the contents of the food ). Surely your restaurant must have some customers who are sensitive or have food allergies. A good restaurant should be able to accommodate for this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Fast service. Good advice regarding selections. Friendly. Good food. BBQ perhaps a little unrefined.Special Features:
- The following 223 reviews are from the Hapa Izakaya Coal Harbour reviews archive.
- work day lunchGSXRDined on 7/25/2014Went here with my department for lunch (4). Food and service was good. The atmosphere was hood but was loud and we found that we had to talk louder in order for the other person to hear what was being said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencesuzieQDined on 7/19/2014We had a lovely table on the patio. the service was good and the food excellent. it was really busy inside but quite quiet out on the patio. this is one of our favourites..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could use an update/polishLuvdHapaCoalHarbourVIPDined on 7/19/2014Usually go for hapa hour so the last time I came here and sat on the patio, I noticed the tables and surroundings were not wiped down properly and cleaned but figured they're busy. Most recent visit was dinner time, sat on patio again and unfortunately, the tables were dusty and seems like the food, service along with decor and cleanliness could use an update. Disappointed, but that's because I hold hapa to a higher standard based on visits in past years.
- Great Food and DrinksDelilahDined on 7/18/2014Food is vibrant and well made, my fave is the tuna avocado dip and the spiky pear drink. Service is always friendly and quick.Special Features:
- Thanks to Betty!DrockDined on 7/3/2014Two out of three of our orders were delivered to the wrong table so we ended up waiting quite a while for our meal but Betty that manager was very apologetic and kindly took care of our lunch bill which was very much appreciated and beyond what we expected. The food was great but special thanks go to Betty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgettable experienceMrPiggyDined on 6/20/2014Wasn't really impressed. The taste of some dishes was good but not great, and only 2-3 bites worth for each $10+ dish, except for the rice bowl. Couldn't taste much seafood in the seafood chowder except for a few tiny fragments of fish, was mostly stringy vegetables. Ate $60 worth of food between 2 people not including drinks and still didn't come close to fulfillment. When we were going to order more food our waitress was no where to be found for 10 min so we just gave up and paid and left. Went somewhere else for more food afterwards. Noise level very high.
- Excellent food You've got to try itLovelunchonarunDined on 6/17/2014Great lunch, excellent combinations, the rolls were fantastic and the shrimp mayo delicious! You must try this place. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken KarageeSushiloverDined on 6/13/2014I went with friend to have late lunch here at Hapa Izakaya. I ordered Halibut and Bintaro( a cold side dish) I found it to both be amazingly yummy- esp for a seafood lover like myself, they were very delicious. The chicken karagee that my friend had was the best out of all of our food so I would suggest definitely have that when you visit. Other than that, some meals that I think needs more improvement is the Ebi Mayo and the Chicken Salad.Special Features:
- Poor service never againNeveragainDined on 6/6/2014It was my birthday celebration and our food didn't come for 40min and two dishes are ended up not coming at all.
- Not recommendMRSNOBUVIPDined on 6/5/2014If you are looking for a real Japanese izakata, them don't ever go to this place.
- DisappointingBusinessdinerDined on 5/22/2014The young gentleman who served us was excellent, attentive and had a great attitude. The good was average and overpriced. Ordered one peice of ikura which hardly had any salmon roe on it and was charged 4 dollars. Would recommend the agadshi tofu. Doubt if I would go back.
- Location vs. AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/19/2014I preferred the other Hapa locations (the Davie one is my favourite) - it had a better, friendlier vibe.Special Features:
- Never Again!DisappointedVIPDined on 5/13/2014I've never been inspired to write a review on Open Table, until now. Server forgot to order the appetizer. Server didn't come back to ask if we wanted anything further to drink until we finished dinner. Server came over with the credit card payment machine even before we had finished dinner. I told the server that we weren't done yet so she went away. When we were done, she never returned to take the payment and I had to speak with the hostess to take the payment. All this when there was a total of two other tables in the restaurant, so not like the server was busy. Food was such a disappointment that we had to stop at another restaurant on the way home.
- reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/9/2014very noisy. food was like fast food quality. will not go back or recommend. calamari were little bits of squid sushi poorly done hot stone rice had nothing in it except rice and flavoringSpecial Features:
- Good foodJerryDined on 5/2/2014First time dine out there with my gf. Hard to find the restaurant, sign only visible on certain way from the road, parking is ridiculously expensive. Food is very nice, and I like the fusion of western cross Japanese food. They did have a few traditional Japanese dish, but mainly made for westerners. Service is great. Waitress there all look alike, can't differ one from another. The only way to tell my waitress is by the tattoo at her back !! Lol. Only drawback is, waiting time for the food is very long, ridiculously long and it's very very noisy !! Other than that, everything is great. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for lunchLovelunchonarunDined on 4/29/2014Service was really good and fast. The food was fantastic, each dish was great and creative. Love the sable fish and the apple crisp dessert. Highly recommended, especially during lunch hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceFerbuenojrDined on 4/26/2014They took at least half an hour to bring our food To the table, and every time that we had to call the waiter, it was a really hard job, and the price is not good because the food is smallSpecial Features:
- Waited too long for food...carlamayVIPDined on 4/15/2014...and it wasn't worth the wait. My guest and I ordered salads. We waited about 40 minutes for one of them to arrive, and another 10 for the other. When asked at the end how our lunch was, I mentioned the long wait and asked if there had been a mistake and was told no - there is only 1 salad chef. No apology or offer to do something for the long wait. The tables on either side (who came after us) also had salads which arrived long before ours. It was a very disappointing experience.