1516 Yew St
Vancouver, BC V6K 3E4Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hapaizakaya.com/
- Phone: 604-738-4272x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 4:00PM - late.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Daiji Tanaka
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
A word from Hapa Beach
Voted “Top Five Izakayas In North America” by Bon Appétit Magazine; topping “Industry and Readers Choice” Georgia Straight awards for Best Japanese in 2012 and Best Izakaya in 2014; and “Best Casual Chain, Silver” by Vancouver Magazine in 2013, Hapa continues to offer a winning combination of Japanese cuisine, fun, and culture, paired with local seasonal and Ocean Wise ™ ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hapa Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (25)good for groups (23)fit for foodies (21)hot spot (15)great for outdoor dining (10)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (5)special occasion (4)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Hapa is happeningFoodie4lifeDined on 8/15/2014Great service and ambience. Loved the food and even the manager came up and chatted with us. This place has it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ...FitForFoodVIPDined on 8/13/2014What a disappointment. We were looking forward to the rich flavours and interesting presentations that we'd enjoyed at Hapa Yaletown, but had a completely different experience in Kitsilano. Kinoko Ishi-Yaki (rice and mushrooms in a hot stone bowl) is usually one of our favorites, but it was dry, cardboard-like and without flavour this time. The Kits sushi pockets consisted of gooey rice slathered with mayo and only rare pieces of the promised Albacore tuna. The french fries that accompanied Teppan Steak-Frites looked lovely, but were completely tasteless. We'll return to their other locations, but not to this one.Special Features:
- Food quality has gone downSixtysixDined on 8/2/2014We used to frequent Hapa Izakaya at Kits. We went back for the first time since it's change to Hapa Beach & sad to say, we will not be returning. The menu has changed & many of the previously popular items are no longer available. The sushi had soggy rice. The beach salad dressing was too salty & was nothing special. Overall the ambience & service is the same, but the food quality has gone down.Special Features:
- Food is TerribleFoodyOneDined on 7/20/2014The new menu is very poor especially for the price. The old menu was about the same price but actually had a up scale selection. The new menu is mostly deep fried fast food or basic no favour food the is quick to make. The other Hapa's are much better for same price.
- horrible servicecmb85Dined on 7/19/2014We went for happy hour with a group of 4 people. We only had appetizers and everything was delicious. My friend had a hello kitty cocktail it was amazing. Zero complaints with the food or drinks. Our only complaint is the service was horrible! The restaurant was not busy. We had been there 2 years prior and same thing, terrible service. Will not be going back!
- Loud, rocking and decent foodpressonregardlessDined on 7/12/2014Hapa is just off the Kitsalano park and beach and we went on a Saturday night when the crowd from the beach were coming over to have a good dime and they did. Hapa is noisy, with loud music and lots of people having a good time. The Japanese fusion menu is delightful. We had the spicy tuna sushi, which came with a really nice sort of creamy chipolte dipping sauce, the pork belly with lettuce wraps that also had a nice sauce (could have used some more) and our favorite, a Japanese take on Calamari with a hot and sweet sauce instead of marinara, liked that one a lot. The cold sake in frozen bamboo bottles is fun, and easy to quaff. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Service was terriblesunnyclmDined on 6/29/2014I have been to all Hapa locations many times and I have never received such bad service as my last visit. We sat outside on the patio (tables were very small) and the inside was pretty empty. We would have expected to get better service since it was a slow night but it seemed like the servers didn't know what they were doing and they rarely came around to ask us how we were doing. Since there was very little space at the table, my husband put the laminated menu underneath his plate and the server took it away saying that they don't want it to be used as a place mat! The only thing that made up for the poor service was the yummy sake margarita!!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2014There was nothing special, food was very ordinary, very disappointing.Special Features:
- miss the old hapaAdamascusDined on 6/22/2014took my girlfriend here for birthday, based on great experiences with hapa 5 years ago. It has changed. Lots of items I was hoping to see were no longer on the menu, and service was friendly but not great. Server went AWOL and I had to find someone to try to pay. Asked 3 servers if I could pay, they said they'd bring the visa machine to the table, and no one did. I could have easily left and no one would have noticed. Found the busser to ask him if I could settle up. Other than that (and no napkins until I asked), fine. Got the impression that management intends to make it looser, more casual for the beach crowd than it was (hence renaming it Hapa Beach). Anyway, I miss the old style, and don't need to be back.Special Features:
- Hapa Beach was great1947rockyDined on 6/20/2014Have been to this Hapa previously and each time was impressed. Always enjoyed.Special Features:
- Not a fan of the new menugstarrDined on 6/19/2014Average visit. New menu isn't that appetizing. Music was very loud. The yelling every time someone walks in or leaves is annoying.
- BAD!eatgoodfoodDined on 6/19/2014What happened to all the regular (and much much better!) items? This is a crazy bad new concept! We definitely won't be back unless they return to the regular menu. Such a terrible decision here. Everything we had was sub-standard, or just ordinary. And gyoza with marinara sauce?? Is that a joke? ew! Also, every sushi item is so overly doused in mayo. Sloppy and just plain bad. I could go on...
- Mouth-Watering Food!foodieDined on 6/18/2014Fabulous food! Everything was delicious to the palate as well as to the eye. Wonderful Happy Hour deals on food & drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday partyGTPNDined on 6/14/2014We had a great time at Hapa beach. The food was very good and the service was excellent. We were a party of thirteen. There is an automatic gratuity of18%. Despite the automatic gratuity the service staff looked after us flawlessly. Attentive friendly and efficient.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014Fantastic food and outstanding service! We will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Music is extremely louddinoVIPDined on 6/7/2014Went there for dinner with a group. This place is too Western night pub style, music is extremely loud, people are very noisy too. Don't feel like having Japanese food, and very limited choices. If you are looking for Asian food in a night pub and love loud pop music, this is a place to go. Not recommend to other people. I have headache after dinner, can't even talk to your friend due to the loud music, not satisfied with the food either. Will not go again.
- my trip to VancouverCHARLIEDined on 5/24/2014My mother booked your establishment for dinner for my trip back to my old stomping ground. i love the food and the service was awesome. It was alittle too loud but it was also a full house so thats to be expect. Thank you for such a lovely evening and i will be recommending you to friends that plan on going to Vancouver in the future as well as my friends there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2014The patio is a bit cramped but great for nice sunny days. Have very cheap wine and beer option. Food is pretty good but not much selection compared to other Hapa. We enjoyed the ebi avocado salad and tuna dip. Halibut tacos were also good. The gyoza marinara was really bad. Tomato sauce does not taste good with gyoza. A waste of otherwise well prepared gyoza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- son's birthday dinnerrunnerDined on 5/23/2014We had a great time and enjoyed every dish we ordered. Great spot to eat. A vibrant restaurant with great service and enthusiastic staff on the floor.Special Features:
- Not what it used to be.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/20/2014We are long time fans of Hapa in Kits. Their new beach concept is a step down for me. The new menu seems to be catering to a different crowd, stepping away from creative and tasty Izakaya to burger and fries. I will go again for some of their traditional hits but will want some new and creative snacks to keep me coming back and bringing friends and out of towners for the unique hapa Izakaya experience.
- First Time happy hourDinerA99Dined on 5/9/2014As a newbie to the Happa izakaya scene, I was very impressed with the variety, quality and of course price point of the Kits location. The appetizers and hot bowls were all Deliscious - I look forward to trying a dinner after happy hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wet night in KitsBeamerDined on 5/8/2014Our waiter was spot on with food and wine recommendations. Service was attentive but not overbearing . Food was creative and tasty. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- The following 69 reviews are from the Hapa Beach reviews archive.
- Hapa hour all the wayTwilitvoidDined on 4/30/2014The food was exquisite and the prices were amazing for the tapas at hapa hour. Will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, prices & atmopshereFoodie19Dined on 4/10/2014Their Hapa Hour from 5:30-6:30PM is the best time to go. Half off parts of the menu and it's the good stuff too! Food is high quality for the price you're paying. Also the Hapa Lager is decent - if you go on Thursday's it's on special for $3. Great place to grab some afternoon tapas with a group of friends. The atmosphere and service is great! Only downside is if there's only two of you and you get stuck sitting in the two person booth there's not much table space and leg room which made it uncomfortable after awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2014We have been coming to Hapa for many years. This was disappointing. The music was way too loud and was not enjoyable (rap and annoying beat). It took 30 minutes to get a server to greet us and take our drink order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very rewarding dinner experiencePeterDined on 3/22/2014A fun, vibrant experience, with delicious fresh food, served tapas style for sharing. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MUST TRYPennyDined on 3/22/2014Very creative delicious food. Been there many timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I heard alot about this resturantanniversaryDined on 3/21/2014I heard alot about this resturant chain, the staff were very energetic and food amazing especially coupled with Hapa hour, will return with the kids to enjoy the food and experience,Special Features:
- Good Experience.HeidiDined on 3/13/2014We had a good dinner here and the decoration of our dessert was a very impressed surprised, may be it was late night and the restaurant was not too busy so the chef combined two dessert into one plate with beautiful decoration .... however, I had a bit disappointed when I went again with my friend, I put high hope of seeing the beautiful dessert again but may be the restaurant was busy so our dessert wasn't as pretty as what I had the first time, anyway, still delicious dessert :-)Special Features:
- Delightful appiesHappyDinerDined on 2/26/2014Very pleasant with excellent food and great early bird prices. Great place to catch up with friends. Nice and low key for an evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad servicewinterfellaDined on 2/14/2014I don't want to say that it is what happens generally but I needed to share my experience. Two of out 4 plates are served in expected time but later two was not served. I warned the waitress that we are expecting two more plates but it didn't change anything. I guess she even forgot my warning. So after waiting close to 70 minutes at the table for the last two plates, we wanted the bill.
- Regular still in love...MarvyMelEatsDined on 2/13/2014I am a 'regular' at Hapa Kits. The service is always quick and friendly, and the food is always tasty and well done, with high quality frest ingredients. I was not disappointed when I visited again last week... Thanks Hapa! Reservations highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and good serviceTotoroDined on 2/10/2014My husband and I decided to try out Hapa Izakaya and got there when it opened. We didn't know they had Happy Hour so when we ordered, the waitress was nice enough to let us know that majority of the dishes we ordered were on the Happy Hour menu and therefore 50% off, so that was awesome! The food was good and the restaurant atmosphere was energetic. A couple of our dishes failed to arrive by mistake and so we told our waitress who followed up on it. The manager took initiative and waived the two dishes off our bill without us asking for it. That was a pleasant surprise! Even if the 2 dishes were not waived, the price of our meals were really good and we were full. Definitely coming back again with some friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dine-out dinner menu was tooDAyvrDined on 2/8/2014dine-out dinner menu was too oily. Lots of deep fried food even in the roll. Rice bowl was tasty and impressive presentation but the rice was cooked a bit too soggy.Special Features:
- We couldn't find parking spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/7/2014We couldn't find parking spot around the area (has been changed neighbour parking rule in Kits), so not many free parking around the area... So if you have restaurant parking we would come more often!Special Features:
- Restaurant was far too loud,TerryVIPDined on 2/6/2014Restaurant was far too loud, with the game coverage blasting into the room, though no one appeared to be listening to or paying attention to it; rather it was background noise we all had to yell over to be heard. Food was tasty, but service was inconsistent with one waitress rude, another attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sixforonesixforoneDined on 2/3/2014Very good food, as I remembered it. Some of the dishes were outstanding. Very good service. I hated the (new?) TV screens. I have meals at restaurants to enjoy special dishes, but also to have conversations with family members and friends. The TV screens are way too distracting and most people cannot just ignore them. They will probably make me decide to choose other places in the future. Too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine Outdiner1Dined on 2/1/2014I went with a group of five for the dine out menu and it most definitely did not disappoint. The service was terrific and we were served promptly and efficiently. As for the food, it was a great value for the price and we left very full and satisfied.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DOV 2014 menuluv2dineDined on 2/1/2014It's our 1st time visiting the restaurant. We've decided to try out its $18 DOV menu since I've heard few things about this restaurant. However, it was a disappointment for both my friend and me. We were basically stuffed with lots of carbohydrates instead of trying their special creation (if there's any). The appetizer: popcorn pork was dry & sesame cucumber was not marinated enough. The sushi roll was only 1/2 roll & sorry to say nothing special about it. Spicy pork with rice in hot pot was a big disappointment because the rice was mushy & I felt like eating baby food. After the waitress mixed everything up once they put it on our table, we cannot tell if there was any vegetable/meat in it. Our conclusion: not coming again for dine out.Special Features:
- Nice place, but food meh.teadrinkerDined on 1/31/2014The food was presented beautifully and was good, but it was not that tasty. It felt like something was missing. Salt? Umami? It just wasn't as good as I expected. However, their half-price tapas menu is a good deal if you're looking to be at a nice place without spending too much.Special Features: