Hanover Tavern Restaurant & Pub
13181 Hanover Courthouse Road
Hanover, VA 23069Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Hanover Tavern Restaurant & Pub
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hanovertavern.org/
- Phone: 8045375250
- Hours of Operation:
Closed on Monday
Tuesday-Thursday 11am-9pm, Friday-Saturday 11am-10pm, Sunday 11am-8pm
Brunch on Saturday and Sunday until 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Chad M Smith
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please call (804)537-5250 or email email@example.com to inquire about Event Rental.
A word from Hanover Tavern Restaurant & Pub
Hanover Tavern has witnessed three centuries of history and has served the community as an inn, stagecoach stop, post office and dinner theater. Today, Hanover Tavern stands fully restored, a historic site offering a premier dining experience combined with a high level of cultural and educational value. Hanover Tavern Restaurant and Pub offers traditional southern cuisine focusing on local and regional ingredients. Four unique dining areas are available to suit your preferences - the plantation like Veranda, the elegantly rustic Taylor room, and the casual Tavern Pub. Walk-ins are always welcome but reservations are recommended on the weekends. The Barksdale Theatre is featured at the Hanover Tavern offering patrons an evening of dining and entertainment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Hanover Tavern Restaurant & Pub - Best Restaurants in Hanover ›
Hanover Tavern Restaurant & Pub reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (29)neighborhood gem (17)romantic (14)great for brunch (14)great for lunch (13)good for groups (11)fit for foodies (7)scenic view (6)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Has it all.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Great place for those that want dinner in a place with historic charm. Food is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and Nice MenuLinLea11Dined on 10/9/2014Our first time & celebrating my husband's birthday & a pre-theater meal. Our server was friendly & courteous. Provided white bread upon arrival. Ordered fr "regular" menu (not the pre-theather) & ordered the mixed green salad; which was very fresh. Both ordered Blue Plate Special for $13 w/2 sides & delicious cornbread. We had the trout,nice portions but too much breading; sides were: squash(perfect!); white mac & cheese; green beans (excellent!); and white cheddar grits. For my husband's birthday, they offered dessert at no charge! :O) A very nice gesture. We enjoyed a very delicious hot moist brownie with ice cream. It was really good and generous! A pretty and quaint place with nice food options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upstairs not accessibleSueLDined on 9/6/2014We were 6 older people who came Sat. night and were put upstairs. Stairs are very difficult. Rest rooms way too far away, No atmosphere. Lighting terrible. Food mediocre.Special Features:
- Always greatjimduckettDined on 9/3/2014My wife and I are frequent patrons of Hanover Tavern. I play there as a musician once a year as well. Management, Food and service, always great. ---JDDSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEFORE SHOW BRUNCHshowbizDined on 8/24/2014We enjoyed eating upstairs better. Dining area is dark. Did not have the "before show" brunch which is still on the Web page. No fried green tomatoes!! Oysters excellent. Service very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treasurefumaguideDined on 8/24/2014While we have only had brunch at Hanover Tavern, each time it has been wonderful; food is excellent; service superb and very reasonable prices. Highly recommend for brunch. One of these days we will get there for dinner and expect it to be just as good!!Special Features:
- Hanover TavernscmmmsDined on 8/22/2014Very nice ambience, but my dinner (chicken with pesto) was just OK. The chicken was dry and nondescript. I would definitely give it another try, but would order something else.Special Features:
- MarciDined on 8/16/2014We cancelled our reservation to Hanover Tavern because we were not sure that a 7:00 reservation would get us out in time for the 8:00 curtain in the theatre. My husband and I both called and left inquiries on the tavern's voicemail, but no one ever returned our phone calls. I cannot rate the meal or the service since we did not dine there.Special Features:
- poor service, so-so foodheidi53Dined on 8/16/2014We were very disappointed in our dining experience at the Hanover Tavern. We wouldn't return. All of our dinners were $30+, and for that amount of expense, we expected near perfection. We definitely expected the food to be fabulous. It was so-so. We all got the daily special, which was surf and turf, filet mignon with mini crab cakes. It came with asparagus, and risotto. The steak was tender but bland, the asparagus was delicious, but the rice was regular white rice, NOT risotto! Also bland. The service was terrible! There were not enough waiters, and ours was doubling as the bartender of the evening. Slow, slow, slow! And we were seeing the play afterward. We were afraid we wouldn't make it in time for the curtain, but we did.
- A Repeatable experience!Art4allDined on 8/15/2014Our experience was. Wry favorable. The porch was pleasant, Samantha, our server was very attentive. Our food was prepared as per instructions. Having the dining room next to the playhouse is a wonderful asset. We had a very relaxing, delicious experience. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent restaurant, great theaterJeffDined on 8/15/2014Food was good, not great. Overpriced, but good. Enjoyed the ambiance of "the Veranda" area of the restaurant. The performance in the theater definitely overshadowed the food. Service was average.Special Features:
- lenkDined on 8/13/2014Our group of four thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience. The service was outstanding and the food was superb. Two of the party live in Hanover County and indicated they plan to make the Tavern part of their regular dining experience.Special Features:
- Long Wait Despite Reservationsluv2eatoutDined on 8/10/2014We made a reservation for lunch for 12:30 so that we would have time for a leisurely lunch prior to a 2PM play at Hanover Tavern. Lunch took over an hour to get to us. I had to repeatedly ask the waiter when our lunch was coming...he never came over proactively to let us know and never offered more bread, etc. to us while we waited. He said he was checking with the kitchen whenever I asked him and that our food was on it's way. The excuse was that the steak for one of our salads was what was taking so long. When the food came, the steak was lukewarm at best. He never offered to provide a discount due to the long wait. I informed him that we weren't paying for our meal after having to wait over an hour and then cram it down before the play.
- Delightful experiencetopnotchDined on 8/8/2014We had attended the theater before, but had never enjoyed the dining room. In all phases it was a super delightful experience -- reserving a table, the service, the food, the atmosphere -- everything was "top notch." When we go back to the theater we will make sure to include the dining room on our agenda.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Great in combination with the theater for a very relaxed and enjoyable eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DISAPPOINTEDDined on 8/8/2014This was the third disappointing meal we have had at this restaurant. Waiter was a space cadet. Food was not up to standards. Check was for $72.00 without drinks. Wife had Fillet Mignon and it was more like a cheap steak. I had the Crab Cakes and they were fried. Food was warm far from hot when it arrived at our table. I would NEVER go there again or recommend it to my friends.
- Wonderful afternoonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014Very pleasant way to spend an afternoon or evening--enjoying a drink and meal and seeing a play. Very friendly and helpful staff. Will do it again very soon.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningRichmondLadyDined on 8/2/2014We ate here with another couple before seeing Charitable Sisterhood. While limited on theater night, the menu is wonderful.Special Features:
- Very nice dinner for usTaylorDined on 8/1/2014BBQ for her was just fine and the presentation of it and her two sides was better than I would have expected. My NY strip was much thinner than I expected, but the taste and presentation was surprisingly good. The setting, however, made the night for us.Special Features:
- Dinner and the theaterdinnerandthetheaterDined on 7/31/2014So convenient if you are attending the theater on the first floor of the building. We both had the fillet. It was excellent and the price was very reasonable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Spot in the CountryUniquediningexperiencesDined on 7/31/2014Hanover Tavern has it all - quiet, historical inn in the country and with wonderful food and service. The staff was very friendly and made us feel at home as soon as we walked in. After a delicious lunch on the balcony, we explored the historical tavern and the old courthouse across the street. So glad we found this place. Its a long drive from our house, but well worth it.Special Features:
- Pre Theater MealornofrkDined on 7/26/2014The tavern's history is facinating and they are doing a good job on the ongoing restoration. We were there for the pre theater dinner and the excellent play. The service was prompt and friendly. However, the entres we had were very disappointing. My wife said the crab cakes were among the worse she has eaten. Also, her asparagus was almost raw (not steamed enough) and she did not like the lemon dressing they put on it. The she crab soup, however, was very good. My grilled chicken pesto was as tough as shoe leather and not that tasty.Special Features:
- Disappointingtwb6yzDined on 7/26/2014I have only been here once before a few years ago and had a very good dining experience. Drove several hours there to take an elderly relative out for their birthday. Restaurant booked a wedding for the same day and we were not seated until 35 minutes after our reservation. Took waiter 10 minutes to get to our table and take a drink order, despite being the table closest to the bar. Once we got past those two problems the service was good. Food was mixed. The she crab soup was watery, barely warm and had no flavor. The peaches in the peach salad had surprisingly little flavor despite local peaches being very good this year but otherwise the salad was good. The fries with Parmesan and truffle oil were excellent.
- KeeganT01Dined on 7/24/2014We enjoy dining at the Tavern when we attend the theatre at BarksdaleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 354 reviews are from the Hanover Tavern Restaurant & Pub reviews archive.
- always niceangel22Dined on 7/18/2014Never had a bad experience. Food is good and the atmosphere is lovely. Lunch has a different feel and is quick and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reservation never happenedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2014We made a reservation through OpenTable.........they called us a week before the date and told us that there was a "glitch" in the system and they had to cancel our reservation due to a wedding that had booked the entire restaurant. we had out of town guests coming that specifically wanted to eat at the Hanover Tavern.......needless to say we were disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Footsteps of Historyluv2roamDined on 5/27/2014Our group enjoyed walking through this historic old tavern that played such a pivotal role in American history before the American Revolution and also during the Civil War. We also enjoyed seeing Hanover Courthouse, just across the highway and the green from Hanover Tavern. There was a small crowd when we visited. Our waitress was delightful. We enjoyed our choices. Two of us got sandwiches and the other two opted for two of the delicious "starters" as our meal. Everyone was pleased. We plan to return for a theater performance in the future.Special Features:
- wonderful dining experienceGooooooglerDined on 5/11/2014Hanover Tavern is an exceptional dining experience whether its Sunday brunch or a casual dinner or lunch. The staff is always very courteous and the kitchen is phenomenal. Recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HORRIBLE Mothers Day DinnerGarrisonDined on 5/10/2014I drove from Raleigh, NC to Richmond, VA to take my mother out for dinner for Mothers Day. This was the evening of May, 9th, 2014. I found the Hanover Tavern Restaurant on line and it seemed like a great place. The food was the absolute worst we had ever had. Even the server commented my mothers filet looked like a piece of charcoal. We ate the bread and vegetables and went back home for dinner. The manager never came by to apologize. The server felt bad and said something was going on in the kitchen today. The service was good but the fact the food was HORRIBLE and the manager never came by was not good. What a disaster this Mothers Day dinner was. The server did credit the two entrees as she took them both back to the kitchen.Special Features:
- Love it hereJimbobDined on 5/9/2014My wife and I come here for lunch, brunch, dinner, any time it's possible; but especially if we have friends or relatives from out of town, we bring them to Hanover Tavern. We have never had a bad meal here, management and staff are outstanding.Special Features:
- Easter brunchKippyDined on 4/20/2014While brunch can be hard to serve successfully, the food at the Easter brunch was not good at all, especially for the price. The pasta was tasteless, the eggs Benedict was rock hard, the eggs florentine tasted like they had been scorched, the best dishes were the soup and salad. We came away very disappointed, though it had lovely atmosphere and good service. Maybe the food is better when not a buffet, but sadly we won't be finding out!Special Features:
- Good Food in a Historic SettingCindyVIPDined on 4/4/2014Went for a date night with my husband. Enjoyed a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. We started with a cup of She Crab Soup and a cup of Butternut Squash Bisque, both arrived piping hot. The crab soup was very peppery and slightly sour while the squash bisque was slightly sweet from the addition of apples and parsnips. We chose Blackened Flounder and Salmon Bruschetta, the special, both served with basmati rice and brocollini. The salmon was perfectly cooked and the brocollini tender crisp. The flounder was good but not outstanding. No room for dessert. My suggestion is to offer cornbread with each entree as it is such a southern staple.Special Features:
- Saving my situationRussDined on 4/1/2014I was asked to take a friend's sister in law to dinner while they were otherwise distracted and I had no idea what her interests were - so I thought of the Tavern. We toured the Tavern before dinner and the dinner was great, and the ambience was wonderful and it was a successful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The beef was still on the rangeAndyDined on 3/15/2014The best aspect of the Tavern is the location if you are attending a show. This is the second and last time we are eating at thr Tavern before a show. The kitchen was overworked because of a wedding. The main menu was not available due to the wedding. We should have advised before making the reservation. The crab soup was very good. The wedge was small and had a lot of yellow lettuce . The beef was hard as a rock. The knife would hardly cut through it. The meat may have been I left over from Colonial times. The gravy was tasteless. The is a Tavern so don't expect too much. The service was excellent. The show was great.
- Hanover Tavern More than pub foodMorgDined on 3/15/2014I thought the Hanover Tavern was great. They had a great selection and a unique menu. The food was good and service was good too. We watched the play after and the timing was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food okay...MacLDined on 3/8/2014The food was just "okay,"....not bad or anything special. On the other hand, the service was excellent. I was disappointed not to be able to get the blue plate special on theater night since the website led me to believe that I could.Special Features:
- Spice-lessBillDined on 3/8/2014Although we liked the restaurant ambiance and service, we were somewhat amazed that the food was virtually unseasoned. The crab cakes with quinoa mixture had no seasoning at all ! I don't even think the chef used salt. Certainly not food that is worthy of a repeat visit, which is unfortunate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyableIlikelocalDined on 3/7/2014We met with friends for dinner and theater. Warm brie appetizer was delicious. The bottle of wine we chose was outstanding. 2 of us ordered the pork tenderloin. It was a bit dry, could use gravy. Other dinner special and steak meal were very good. Desserts were more average. But the ambiance and service is great and the menu is refreshingly different from the average restaurant menu.Special Features:
- Good and Bad with Our BrunchSusieJoDined on 3/2/2014Went to the Tavern for bruch. My lunch was great, grilled brie sandwich with onions and apricot jam. However... Bread and butter served was tasteless and we took one bit and left it. One person had the pastrami sandwich, was so tough and thcik she couldn't eat it. Another had eggs and sausage. Sausage was so tough and the grits were pasty. All in all, I may not eat there for a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal!Ktsmom96Dined on 3/1/2014We dined before seeing a play downstairs to save time. The food was excellent and the service very fast. So fast that we finished too early for the show's start time. Fabulous and filling meal. Prices were higher than moderate, but worth the price. Definitely recommend, especially with a show to follow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.