855 Main Street
Pleasanton, CA 94566Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.handlesgastropub.com/
- Phone: (925) 399-6690
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm
DInner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Brian Hampton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Handles is proud to offer catering services for more information please call or visit our website.
- Private Party Facilities: Handles Gastropub has private meeting and event space for rent as well as a beautiful outdoor patio. We are the perfect venue for your next event.
- Private Party Contact: Erin Ritterbush 9253996690
- Entertainment: Handles is proud to offer nights of live music & entertainment. Check out our website for our events calendar.
A word from Handles Gastropub
Handles Gastropub at the historic Pleasanton Hotel. Our gastropub is a unique combination of a traditional public house (think your favorite watering hole) that serves high quality food. The menu is seasonal, ingredient driven American comfort food with an emphasis on all natural meats, poultry and fish with fresh, local produce. The public house will feature 30 craft beers and 16 local wines on tap. Your favorite cocktails will also be available.Continued
It is our goal to become your favorite neighborhood place. We look forward to serving you soon.
It is our goal to become your favorite neighborhood place. We look forward to serving you soon.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Handles Gastropub reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (9)neighborhood gem (7)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (4)fit for foodies (2)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great beer, comfortable setting, delicious foodRUNHRDRDined on 11/21/2014The meatloaf is delicious and there is a good variety of food. Love the selection of beer and its comfortable bar area adjacent to the dining section. There's actually two dining sections; one has a little more atmosphere and the other is quieter. Both are really nice. This place is fine for well-behaved kids which makes it great for families, but please don't bring active young ones that ruins the dining experience for others! This is one of my go-to places - casual but nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has become a favoriteDavidVIPDined on 11/18/2014I probably go hear once a week. Always had a good experience, nice people, great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer place without being too muchDavidVIPDined on 11/11/2014I have been here a few times and have always enjoyed. I will be going back. Very good food, great service and a layout.Special Features:
- New lunch and dinner placeDavidVIPDined on 11/11/2014Traveling to Pleasanton on business. I have been here three times and would recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice outdoor areaChrisMcDDined on 11/2/2014Had breakfast at the outdoor area. Nice spot and the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Handles was funGmoneyDined on 10/30/2014Nice place with good food, good portions and a great beer menu. A little loud even though it wasn't full but that doesn't really bother me. Really well done from a decor perspective. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall experience not good.PickyDinerDined on 10/18/2014Food was very good, nice beer and wine selection, server new and not very good but pleasant. What brought down the overall is that it was very noisey and the ambiance was disappointing.
- So so dinnerRichardVIPDined on 10/17/2014we went for the live band.the music was good the patio nice to have dinner. The food was ok didn't have a lot of flavor It was a nice evening probably would try it againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I found this placeDavidVIPDined on 10/14/2014I am new to the area, out for business. The web site showed a promising list of food and beer. Glad I went because it was a nice night.Special Features:
- Handles, good not greatwarmdraftDined on 10/4/2014Handles Gastropub has the makings of a fantastic restaurant/craft beer pub. The service is fantastic. The staff is friendly and capable. The bar has a great ambiance. They also had a great band playing live music. Should have been a "great" experience, but the food was just good, not great. Artisan hamburgers under-cooked, wedge salads that were literally iceburg heads chopped in quarters and some dressing and bacon thrown in its general direction, mediocre presentation. If you are going to feature the fact that all you serve are craft beers on tap and charge upwards of $7 a glass for them, they had better be the right temperature. They were not. The beer was cool, not cold. Could have been great, but alas merely good.Special Features:
- Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/28/2014The service was horrible! It took awhile for us to get the food and we asked server what was going on and he said that they were busy! There weren't many people in the resturant! When we got our food it was not that hot as well. We have been here once before and the service was alright but I don't know if we will be going back after this last experience. Server was not sympathetic. He did not offer to pay for meals or anything! We probably waited 45-1hr for our food!Special Features:
- Food was good, service fine.EastBayEaterDined on 9/20/2014Good food, good service, great old building. Not into the music they have at 6 but coming for lunch was lovely. The artichoke hearts would have been better if served with a garlic aioli instead of a basamic reduction, but that's just personal preference after consuming many deep fried artichoke hearts in the Central Valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unpretencious good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/20/2014Pub food but interesting menu and great tasting food. Service was great and it was at a lunch time with not many folks on Saturday so we are not sure how noisy it would get. I felt a bit tilted since the main room floor was slanted toward the fireplace, maybe due to structure settling, but food and service made up for it. Avoid the table by the fireplace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Inexperienced staff. Our table received the wrong food. Horrible server. No personality, did not know the menu. Was this his first day on the job? Because that was the impression we got.Special Features:
- The following 152 reviews are from the Handles Gastropub reviews archive.
- ceezDined on 7/28/2014The food was good and well priced. And their beer on tap selection awesome! Our waitress was friendly and prompt. The patio was clean, spacious and perfect for a warm summer evening. Will definitely be back.
- FitfoodieVIPDined on 6/17/2014Service was slow and the food was ok. Brioche bun for the bison burger was hard and tough to eat. The smoked chicken dish was pretty good.
- Dining with grandkidsGrandma2sixDined on 6/14/2014We took our grandkids and my neighbor to Gastropub before a theater event. There were 5 of us in all and we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and the service. We ate inside and were greeted quickly and seated. One child, age 6 ordered from the kids menu and got salmon. My grandson 14 ordered fish and chips from the adult menu. My neighbor ordered shepherds pie my husband ordered pulled pork panini and I ordered meatloaf. Every one was served an ample amount of food. In fact, next time we may share. The service was great! We will definitely return again. It is a great place for groups of different ages as there was something everyone wanted. Great kid and adult menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level off the charts!dineout1VIPDined on 6/13/2014Love the patio, however--unless you are hard of hearing, the evening live music is way too loud. No way to enjoy a meal with friends unless you don't want to talk with them. It's too bad because it's gorgeous and serene. Simply beautiful. I say bring the music down to a reasonable level, or those of us who would like to converse during dinner, won't come back when there's live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we always like itOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/27/2014this is SO much better than the past 2 restaurants that used to be in this location. The food is basic American comfort type food and the service is friendly. We LOVE the outdoor patio when there is no music so we can talk. Brunch has been nice on Easter and Mother's Day. I like the veggie sandwich!Special Features:
- Good food, sparse decorjanicehVIPDined on 5/25/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Handles Gastropub. The service was excellent - very pleasant and very helpful and very prompt. The food was very good, and very generous servings. Only one issue regarding the food, as my partner ordered the patty melt which the menu said was served on rye bread and his sandwich was on wheat bread. He enjoyed it, but would have preferred rye bread and would have been good if the server had known they were out of rye bread. Overall, it was relaxing and nice, but I do think they should do something about the decor inside the restaurant. It is pretty bare and sparse and I felt more like we were eating in a barn rather than a nice restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fell short on the HolidayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014I have eaten at Handles before and was excited about brunch for Mother's Day, but I was disappointed. The service was slow to our table, the food not refilled quick enough, so there was constantly a wait. I was also disappointed with the quality of food. It didn't taste as good as their food is on a regular day. I left feeling kind of ripped off for the heafty $40 a head price.Special Features:
- Beautiful brunchSharebearDined on 5/11/2014What a beautiful display and so many great choices for brunch. The servers were very attentive and I didn't see a single person looking anything less than 100% happy. I can't wait for the next occasion to do it all again!!!Special Features:
- A terrible Mothers Day experienceptownmomDined on 5/11/2014In light of keeping my business in the downtown I booked my Mothers Day brunch for myself and family at this restaurant. There was a lot of confusion at the hostess desk when we arrived. We were seated and then were acknowledged by our waiter. After that first drink visit we never were spoken to again. Not a check-in or a refill on drinks, plates cleared etc.. I had to walk back to the kitchen to ask for a drink refill for my 80 yr old father and asked a under aged employee to clear our plates. I want to support our downtown but this restaurant should not try and do a holiday brunch without having the experience to back it up. There were several areas lacking on this visit.Special Features:
- Worst Service EverOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2014Typically the service at Handles is first rate, however, this visit was terrible. Our server was aloof and condescending. She appeared very disinterested in our business. The restaurant was not that busy yet we were ignored several times and made to feel that we were an inconvenience to the restaurant.Special Features:
- It was great until the TVs cameLocalDined on 5/10/2014I have been to handles many times in the past, and usually request to dine in the large room on the other side on the bar as it is quieter and has a lot of old charm and character. I was unpleasantly surprised upon arriving there with my family that now there is piped in music and FOUR TV screens in the room! What once was a pleasant atmosphere to go with the nice food they serve became another sports bar scene. If I want to watch TV while I eat I stay home. And music is a very personal thing, it shouldn't be pushed down a patron's throat. Fortunately the waitress was gracious enough to attend my request to turn down the music, but I can't say I will go back to eat in a place where I have to look at TV screens while I eat.
- no host at the doorninav364VIPDined on 5/1/2014We had to choose between dirty tables near the bar with two TV's blasting. Service was OK, chopped turkey salad looked like it was made mostly from Costco ingredients. Why is it called gastropab? no clue... we are not coming back.
- Handles took care of our big groupPleasantonMomDined on 4/27/2014We made reservations for 15 people (kids and adults) for a celebration brunch, and our table was all set up when we arrived. The waiter took our drink order straightaway, and the rest of service was fast and unobtrusive. Everyone enjoyed their brunch food, and the waiter brought out carafes of soft drinks so no one ever ran out. We were not rushed at all, and the prices were downright cheap for such a nice restaurant. This experience was actually BETTER than I expected, and we'll return to Handles again soon--this time to try out the bar.Special Features:
- Easter BrunchSnickersDined on 4/20/2014Overall experience was good. Food was fine and service was good as well - unfortunately there was nothing that stand out but again overall experience was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening at "Handles Gastropub"TukeDined on 4/6/2014We spent many hours in the garden celebrating two affairs..one with drinks and snacks, the second with dinner and wine...the weather was very nice, the garden was very nice and scented with wonderful Jasmine!! Our cocktails were nicely done and our waitress was polite, well-intentioned and attentive. The snacks/hors d'ouevres were just fair...looked great but they were not great. The wine we chose for dinner with the help of our waitress was good...the food was fair. Overall the evening was enjoyable but the food is not up to the name "gastropub"...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitgirlsnightoutDined on 3/7/2014We were not expecting to be sitting next to the bar area as it was a birthday dinner for my wife. It was a tad loud. Overall it was okay but definitely not fine dining.Special Features:
- Tried their 4-course Valentinespleasanton45135Dined on 2/14/2014Tried their 4-course Valentines Prix Fixe menu; first 3 courses were fair to good, dessert was bad (caramel sauce glued and hardened to the plate, and meringue was a hockey puck. advertised as wine or beer pairing, in reality, offered a choice of glass of Fenestra True Red or a Pinot Grigio for the entire meal- thought it would be sample by course. As such, it was way over-priced. Otherwise, a decent experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- They can take a larger party.KimberDined on 2/13/2014We had a party of 7, and it was hard to find a restaurant in Downtown Pleasanton that would take us, making the reservation for dinner the same day on a Thursday. Handles took us, and sat us in the bar area. It was a little cramped. The meatloaf was good. The cabernet was Nottingham, a local wine, it was good. The service was not very good. He forgot water, even though we asked a few times. We never got a refill on the water either. My son had a children's meal which came with dessert and he forgot about that as well.Special Features:
- We had Thanksgiving lunchwcmamaDined on 11/28/2013We had Thanksgiving lunch at Handles. Although we don't eat pork and the sides were cooked with bacon, it was a good experience.Special Features:
- NastySSFLjFVIPDined on 11/16/2013Food was gross. Velveeta nachos. Stomach cramps and nausea.
- Fun night food so-soDeedeeDined on 10/26/2013Waitress was great, food was so-so nothing special.
- FantasticUnderAgedDined on 10/17/2013As a minor, sadly I did not get to enjoy the interesting bar scene. However, the dinner we enjoted was top notch and was the perfect venue for our 1920's themed date. The food was excellent (the mac-n-cheese was suprisingly good) and the ambiance was really fun. A little loud inside, but their outside seating venue looked very pleasant. Altogether a good restraunt i would recommend for any enjoyable occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- something Fishy!PrimeribberDined on 9/20/2013we walked into this restaurant and immediately was overcome by "Fish" the smell was so overwhelming, had we not been having a big group dinner (16 people) we would have hightailed it out of that restaurant. The food was not the greatest, not even for the price! and, the drinks - not very good either.Special Features:
- Very Relaxing AtmosphereRomaroDined on 9/20/2013This was my first time at Handles, and I was quite impressed/ We sat on the patio, listened to excellent live music, ate delicious food and had wonderful service///the perfect evening!Special Features:
- I was hoping the food wasNinjaFoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2013I was hoping the food was better this time around, but it wasn't. I try to frequent the neighborhood restaurants as much as possible, and give each one multiple opportunities to prove themselves. Unfortunately, once again the food was just okay. My friend and I ordered the pork nachos which were cold and had little flavor. It would be great if the pork was hot and there was more cheese (think hot and melted). I think my other friend had the pulled pork sandwich and said it was just okay. Maybe it's just the pork dishes. I have been here on other occasions for lunch and it was okay. I prefer to come in the evening to enjoy a beer or two, and maybe an appetizer (which are usually just okay). But, it's a great place to bump into friends!Special Features:
- Enjoyed our visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2013We were celebrating a family birthday and were not disappointed. Since it's a casual place, the goofy teen girls were as comfortable as the parents & granparents. The menu has a nice selection with an emphasis on salads & starters. Nicely prepared & presented. The fried green tomatoes were yummy and the guys liked the corn pops (battere, fried baby bratwursts with house-made chips).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.