855 Main Street
Pleasanton, CA 94566Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.handlesgastropub.com/
- Phone: (925) 399-6690
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm
DInner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Brian Hampton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Handles is proud to offer catering services for more information please call or visit our website.
- Private Party Facilities: Handles Gastropub has private meeting and event space for rent as well as a beautiful outdoor patio. We are the perfect venue for your next event.
- Private Party Contact: Erin Ritterbush 9253996690
- Entertainment: Handles is proud to offer nights of live music & entertainment. Check out our website for our events calendar.
A word from Handles Gastropub
Handles Gastropub at the historic Pleasanton Hotel. Our gastropub is a unique combination of a traditional public house (think your favorite watering hole) that serves high quality food. The menu is seasonal, ingredient driven American comfort food with an emphasis on all natural meats, poultry and fish with fresh, local produce. The public house will feature 30 craft beers and 16 local wines on tap. Your favorite cocktails will also be available.Continued
It is our goal to become your favorite neighborhood place. We look forward to serving you soon.
It is our goal to become your favorite neighborhood place. We look forward to serving you soon.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Handles Gastropub reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (9)great for outdoor dining (8)great for lunch (6)neighborhood gem (6)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (4)fit for foodies (2)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- too loud for a nice dinnertheprobeguyDined on 7/25/2013Normally our favorite place is the Main Street Brewery acoss the street, but this time we were taking my 72 year old mom out for her birthday. We wanted some place nice enough to dress for but also kid friendly. Handles fit the bill. I thought the dining room would be quiet. However, there was a single large party of men across the room and the noise just seemed to echo off the walls and from the bar too. It was hard to hear anything in a conversational tone. I wanted to go here just for the beer selection and that was great. My shrimp salad was just okay. The kids said the hamburgers were good, but not as good as the Main Street brewery. However, my wife said her smoke turkey and brie was really fantastic /delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to expectations.BWNLadiesVIPDined on 7/10/2013I loved sitting on the patio and service was reasonable but could have been much improved by simple actions. We were told we could have separate checks but when it came down to it that didn't happened. Menu is limited. Experience disappointing. I will probably go back only because it is a really nice patio and nice group seating.Special Features:
- Father's day, under-staffedFxdb10Dined on 6/16/2013Had made reservations for our family on father's day. I had visited Handles in 2010 and enjoyed the food and service On this occasion I was very embarrassed and disappointed. We found one girl basically doing it all. The young hostess was no help and had the deer intthe headlights look. The server was overwhelmed and repeatedly forgot silverware and plates for appetizers. The food was average. Appetizers included ceviche tostadas, beef tacos, and calamari. The calamari was very 'wet' and the breading fell apart in your hands. My pork chops were tough on the outside and far from moist on the inside. Sadly they were completely out of ice cream. All in all I was embarrassed to have talked so highly of handles. Will probably not return.Special Features:
- Historic downtown locationSashaDined on 5/31/2013Our out of state guest enjoyed the location and atmosphere. A good selection of American home style cooking. More vege options needed on menu. Service slow not attentive. Good choice for our guest. Probably will not go again we are vegetarians not too many options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day brunchBuddyDined on 5/12/2013Not up to my expectations. The food was fair at best. Clearly not worth the price for this special occasion. I have had dinner there a few time and will again, but I won't be using Handles for brunch again. The staff was excellent, however,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately we were notOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/23/2013Unfortunately we were not served at all to be able to give a review on service or food. However, the lack of attentiveness of the greeter and the waitress is a review in and of itself. It took the front house greeter 5 mins to come to the front and seat the party in front of us. When he sat the party in front of us, we expected him to return shortly thereafter, but he did not. 5 minutes later he returned in which we decided to seat ourselves in the bar area. After 10 minutes, no one had acknowledged us nor did they bring us menus. Finally a waitress stopped by to give us menus and stated she would return, but never did. We chose to leave after being there for 25 minutes and not being acknowledged.
- CONS: This place is not managedOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/10/2013CONS: This place is not managed well. The space is too big. The servers are running between the bar area, front porch, side garden, and inside seating. We walked in and there was no host/hostess. We were standing a few minutes until seated. It took a long time to for the server to come by and ask what we wanted. Someone should becoming right away. I thought my husbands chicken was dry. My fries were overcooked. My veggie sandwich-- the foccacia had no body to it and it was rendered too soggy by the tomatos.should have been toasted. Spinach salad is small (not enough spinach, too many walnuts and cranberries-- unbalanced ). PROS: sweet potato fries. beer selection.
- Bad service, bad food, flatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2013Bad service, bad food, flat drinks on tap. Too many problems to go into, lets just say none of us could eat and they took one meal back and replaced it with something worse. Just terrible.
- Have several TVs to view sports.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/22/2013Have several TVs to view sports. We were there for a birthday but also are Sharks hockey fans so it was great to see the game. Noise level high. Staff was friendly and helpful although when I did not see dessert on menu I asked if they had dessert to order for birthday. The server said he would take care of it. He did and then charged us without even letting us know what he was bringing and price. We appreciated but thought we should have been told of cost no complimentary like most places.Special Features:
- Super fun place to go. TheLydaVIPDined on 2/2/2013Super fun place to go. The food is good and perfect for pairing with their fabulous array of great beers. We love the atmosphere, and always enjoy going here.
- DIning at HandlesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2013The dining area is reasonably quiet and kid friendly but the service was slow and inconsistent. I felt like our waiter forgot us. Multiple times. We were turned out to be a party of 6 people dining with 2 who joined later to share a beer with us at our table. Tip was automatically added (party of 8...) and it did not seem justified considering service.Special Features:
- Meh.TRIXVIPDined on 12/30/2012Average food and HORRIBLE service. Our waiter looked and acted like he just got out of bed. He was mono-syllabic and rude. He really made it clear that he did not care whether we were enjoying ourselves or not---he just wanted us out of there (to go home and go back to bed I guess). And I've had better food at Denny's. I'll go there next time for brunch. I was extremely disapointed and won't go back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Very quiet he day we wentKittyDined on 12/8/2012Very quiet he day we went for lunch but expect the secene is more vibrant in the evening. Both the food and the service were outstanding. Try the meatloaf !Special Features:
- Homey ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/7/2012Last minute decision on a Friday night; sat in the bar area. A bit noisy, but comfortable. As billed, service was great. Menu had choices for both me and my wife, and she's a little picky. Good food, big enough portions to take some home. We both had a good time!Special Features:
- Ive been a few times..niceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2012Ive been a few times..nice place for a semi casual date nite. The presentation of the food is very niceSpecial Features:
- We went for Thanksgiving dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2012We went for Thanksgiving dinner, to give the cook a break. Thanksgiving was a prix fixe menu. Flavors were good, portions were good sized. The food wasn't as warm as it should be, probably because of the amount of meals being served The prime rib wasn't worth the $10 up charge, it was under seasoned. We've eaten there before, ordering from the menu, and that would be the best choice..Special Features:
- Super bummed I didn't getOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/19/2012Super bummed I didn't get the points for my visit, but the food was great and we had fun.
- Nice place but wasn't for us.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/18/2012The waiter was super nice. Food was OK. Nice location. Nice place for having a beer watching sports games.Special Features:
- The first thing that we noticedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2012The first thing that we noticed was the service was excellent. From the greeter to the service person our experience was exceptional. Our service person did not miss a beat ... this is a casual place to go on a Sunday morning but you receive five star treatment. Now for the food ... What can I say but we both got exceptional dishes obviously prepare by a chef and not just a cook. I have eaten here once before for lunch and we have great dishes then as well. This will be regular spot for us to come to ... and we live 20 miles away from here.Special Features:
- Excellent Meal. We ate inLovePrimeRibDined on 10/13/2012Excellent Meal. We ate in the dinning room which is quiet with a view of main street Pleasanton. You can also eat in the Public side which is where the pub is located. The pub side looked fun with live music.Special Features:
- Had a poor waiter. Too bad,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/5/2012Had a poor waiter. Too bad, because the food is excellent.Special Features:
- Great food and great beerPhillydaveDined on 9/22/2012Great food and great beer selection. Always come back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Handles is a nice place toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2012Handles is a nice place to have dinner, especially with a choice of settings- the bar, the indoor dining near the fireplace, the outdoor patio under the string lights. The food was delicious and the service was great.Special Features:
- We had been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2012We had been to this restaurant back in July, 2012. At that time they were serving a Sunday brunch buffet. Our family enjoyed this and so chose to celebrate a birthday there, based on the brunch buffet. My bad for not checking, because the brunch buffet is no more. Our food was just OK, and not even very hot. And the service was sporadic.
- Fun atmosphere and a niceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012Fun atmosphere and a nice range of ages. Appropriate and fun for our age group50-55 although I an guessing folks from 25 up were also there enjoying themselves and having fun. Food was good not great but tasty and fresh. Good also for watching the game(s)!! Loved the entertainment "Mike Beck Gone Country" Great crowd and feeling!!!Special Features:
- Came in for dinner, even thoughOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2012Came in for dinner, even though it seemed a bit short staffed we had awesome service and the food & beer was excellent as always!Special Features:
- Bummer.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/19/2012This was a very disappointing experience. We arrived a few minutes before our reservation and no hostess greeted us. We had to walk to the bar to get anyone's attention. We were seated in a very open area - I had requested a window or perimeter table. The ceviche appetizer was tasty but I had to ask for additional lettuce leaves and small plates to help us eat it. The server seemed surprised we couldn't just eat it from the serving dish. We are relative newcomers to the neighborhood and were really looking forward to dining here. Sadly, with the lack of welcoming service and mediocre food, we won't be back.
- Best meal I've had in a long time!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/18/2012One of the best meals I've had in a long time! Great wine list - I love the wines on tap. Two families, 5 kids, and lots of fun. Oh, and by far they have the best kids menu which includes salmon and steak entrees in addition to the basics like their homemade Mac n cheese. If we didn't have the kids, we would have stayed for the live band. We will be back! :)Special Features:
- I had the lamb burger. NotinconnueVIPDined on 8/16/2012I had the lamb burger. Not sure why the chef would put blue cheese on a gamey meat, but it was not pleasant. I actually liked both lamb and blue cheese, but not together. My daughter had the prime rib sandwich that was overcooked. The ambiance was nice, but I wouldn't cone back for the food.Special Features:
- Brunch HeavenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2012Took my wife and her friend for Sunday Brunch & sat on the patio enjoying blood orange mimosas. The menu was limited but it all sounded awesome and when our food came it was as delicious as it sounded on the menu. After brunch my Wife & her friend wanted to go shopping so I wandered in to the bar to enjoy some of the 30 beers on tap. The bartender was making Bloody Mary's like crazy & he gave me a small taste of his mix and I could see why, by far the best Bloody Mary I've ever had.Special Features:
- Not worth a 3rd tryDedwardsVIPDined on 8/3/2012This restaurant really disappointed us. It was the 2nd time we had been there. We had the same server both times, and the 2nd experience was worse than the first. First, it took about 20 minutes for the waiter to come to our table. Secondly, the server had terrible body odor - both times. The smell was so bad that it ruined our appetites. The special salad that they offerred that night was oversalted, and the chicken breast was dried out. My husband had the pasta special and said it was "ok". Lastly, the decor is badly in need of updating. We decided not to return to this restaurant a 3rd time.
- Handles is a fun place; theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2012Handles is a fun place; the food was great, our server kind and attentive and I would definitely recommend this fun place in wonderful downtown Pleasanton.Special Features:
- The restaurant smelled horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/13/2012The restaurant smelled horrible the night we were there. So bad that we moved out of the main dining room to the bar area. I had been there several times before and this was never the case, and it was embarrassing in this instance because I was bringing a guest who had never been. I hope they get that fixed!Special Features:
- First time at the restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2012First time at the restaurant. We live downtown and love to walk to the different spots on Main Street. We expected pub grub to have healthy food portions and left hungry and disappointed. BBQ sauce was requested upon ordering and it was delivered ten minutes after our entrees arrived. No salt or pepper on the tables - got up and asked a waitress for some and it never arrived. Great location, cool remodel of the bar area (we were not seated in the bar). Food was weak. They need to step it up ALOT.
- The service was good as farOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/7/2012The service was good as far as the server etc. but it took awhile to get our meal served.Special Features:
- We went to celebrate out anniversarFoodfunDined on 6/21/2012We went to celebrate out anniversary and so we were looking for a romantic setting. The bar was hopping especially for a Thursday night, so they sat us next to a window overlooking the garden in the dining room. This was perfect for our occasion. If it was warmer we would have enjoyed eating outside in the garden. The food was awesome...mostly what I would call bar food, sandwiches, burgers, salads, etc...the soup of the day was terrific!Special Features:
- Dramatically shrunken fooddisappointedVIPDined on 6/19/2012Dramatically shrunken food portions and increased prices do not bode well for Handles this summer. They used to offer BIG food at a very reasonable price: nothing special or memorable but decent and lots of it!! A couple of weeks ago they streamlined their menu moving their biggest seller The Mac N Cheese from entree to appetizer portion, cutting the size in half and leaving the price the same. Other items were impacted but that was the most striking. While this might seem like it would improve their bottom line, the bottom line for me is I will be taking my business somewhere that values their customers more.Special Features:
- If you are looking for a niceJeanDined on 6/17/2012If you are looking for a nice place to sit on a peaceful outdoor patio this is your place. If you are looking for great food with it this is not the place. This is our second time at Handles, and the food falls short. We did, however, great great Bloody Mary's and the beer selection is fabulous as well. In other words, come for a drink and sit out side. Try to eat a bit meal first!Special Features:
- We were there for Father'sbirthdayVIPDined on 6/17/2012We were there for Father's Day Brunch and it was disappointing. We were seated in what seemed like the old bar area. There were no tables seated around us, so it seemed empty. The carving station worker didn't know the Prime Rib from the Pork Roast.
- Great ambience in the courtyard!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2012Great ambience in the courtyard! Food was outstanding!Special Features: