855 Main Street
Pleasanton, CA 94566Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.handlesgastropub.com/
- Phone: 9253996690
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm
DInner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Brian Hampton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Handles is proud to offer catering services for more information please call or visit our website.
- Private Party Facilities: Handles Gastropub has private meeting and event space for rent as well as a beautiful outdoor patio. We are the perfect venue for your next event.
- Private Party Contact: Erin Ritterbush 9253996690
- Entertainment: Handles is proud to offer nights of live music & entertainment. Check out our website for our events calendar.
A word from Handles Gastropub
Handles Gastropub at the historic Pleasanton Hotel. Our gastropub is a unique combination of a traditional public house (think your favorite watering hole) that serves high quality food. The menu is seasonal, ingredient driven American comfort food with an emphasis on all natural meats, poultry and fish with fresh, local produce. The public house will feature 30 craft beers and 16 local wines on tap. Your favorite cocktails will also be available.Continued
It is our goal to become your favorite neighborhood place. We look forward to serving you soon.
It is our goal to become your favorite neighborhood place. We look forward to serving you soon.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Handles Gastropub reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (9)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)neighborhood gem (4)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Inexperienced staff. Our table received the wrong food. Horrible server. No personality, did not know the menu. Was this his first day on the job? Because that was the impression we got.Special Features:
- ceezDined on 7/28/2014The food was good and well priced. And their beer on tap selection awesome! Our waitress was friendly and prompt. The patio was clean, spacious and perfect for a warm summer evening. Will definitely be back.
- FitfoodieDined on 6/17/2014Service was slow and the food was ok. Brioche bun for the bison burger was hard and tough to eat. The smoked chicken dish was pretty good.
- Dining with grandkidsGrandma2sixDined on 6/14/2014We took our grandkids and my neighbor to Gastropub before a theater event. There were 5 of us in all and we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and the service. We ate inside and were greeted quickly and seated. One child, age 6 ordered from the kids menu and got salmon. My grandson 14 ordered fish and chips from the adult menu. My neighbor ordered shepherds pie my husband ordered pulled pork panini and I ordered meatloaf. Every one was served an ample amount of food. In fact, next time we may share. The service was great! We will definitely return again. It is a great place for groups of different ages as there was something everyone wanted. Great kid and adult menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level off the charts!dineout1Dined on 6/13/2014Love the patio, however--unless you are hard of hearing, the evening live music is way too loud. No way to enjoy a meal with friends unless you don't want to talk with them. It's too bad because it's gorgeous and serene. Simply beautiful. I say bring the music down to a reasonable level, or those of us who would like to converse during dinner, won't come back when there's live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we always like itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/27/2014this is SO much better than the past 2 restaurants that used to be in this location. The food is basic American comfort type food and the service is friendly. We LOVE the outdoor patio when there is no music so we can talk. Brunch has been nice on Easter and Mother's Day. I like the veggie sandwich!Special Features:
- Good food, sparse decorjanicehDined on 5/25/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Handles Gastropub. The service was excellent - very pleasant and very helpful and very prompt. The food was very good, and very generous servings. Only one issue regarding the food, as my partner ordered the patty melt which the menu said was served on rye bread and his sandwich was on wheat bread. He enjoyed it, but would have preferred rye bread and would have been good if the server had known they were out of rye bread. Overall, it was relaxing and nice, but I do think they should do something about the decor inside the restaurant. It is pretty bare and sparse and I felt more like we were eating in a barn rather than a nice restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 146 reviews are from the Handles Gastropub reviews archive.
- Fell short on the HolidayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014I have eaten at Handles before and was excited about brunch for Mother's Day, but I was disappointed. The service was slow to our table, the food not refilled quick enough, so there was constantly a wait. I was also disappointed with the quality of food. It didn't taste as good as their food is on a regular day. I left feeling kind of ripped off for the heafty $40 a head price.Special Features:
- Beautiful brunchSharebearDined on 5/11/2014What a beautiful display and so many great choices for brunch. The servers were very attentive and I didn't see a single person looking anything less than 100% happy. I can't wait for the next occasion to do it all again!!!Special Features:
- A terrible Mothers Day experienceptownmomDined on 5/11/2014In light of keeping my business in the downtown I booked my Mothers Day brunch for myself and family at this restaurant. There was a lot of confusion at the hostess desk when we arrived. We were seated and then were acknowledged by our waiter. After that first drink visit we never were spoken to again. Not a check-in or a refill on drinks, plates cleared etc.. I had to walk back to the kitchen to ask for a drink refill for my 80 yr old father and asked a under aged employee to clear our plates. I want to support our downtown but this restaurant should not try and do a holiday brunch without having the experience to back it up. There were several areas lacking on this visit.Special Features:
- Worst Service EverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Typically the service at Handles is first rate, however, this visit was terrible. Our server was aloof and condescending. She appeared very disinterested in our business. The restaurant was not that busy yet we were ignored several times and made to feel that we were an inconvenience to the restaurant.Special Features:
- It was great until the TVs cameLocalDined on 5/10/2014I have been to handles many times in the past, and usually request to dine in the large room on the other side on the bar as it is quieter and has a lot of old charm and character. I was unpleasantly surprised upon arriving there with my family that now there is piped in music and FOUR TV screens in the room! What once was a pleasant atmosphere to go with the nice food they serve became another sports bar scene. If I want to watch TV while I eat I stay home. And music is a very personal thing, it shouldn't be pushed down a patron's throat. Fortunately the waitress was gracious enough to attend my request to turn down the music, but I can't say I will go back to eat in a place where I have to look at TV screens while I eat.
- no host at the doorninav364Dined on 5/1/2014We had to choose between dirty tables near the bar with two TV's blasting. Service was OK, chopped turkey salad looked like it was made mostly from Costco ingredients. Why is it called gastropab? no clue... we are not coming back.
- Handles took care of our big groupPleasantonMomDined on 4/27/2014We made reservations for 15 people (kids and adults) for a celebration brunch, and our table was all set up when we arrived. The waiter took our drink order straightaway, and the rest of service was fast and unobtrusive. Everyone enjoyed their brunch food, and the waiter brought out carafes of soft drinks so no one ever ran out. We were not rushed at all, and the prices were downright cheap for such a nice restaurant. This experience was actually BETTER than I expected, and we'll return to Handles again soon--this time to try out the bar.Special Features:
- Easter BrunchSnickersDined on 4/20/2014Overall experience was good. Food was fine and service was good as well - unfortunately there was nothing that stand out but again overall experience was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening at "Handles Gastropub"TukeDined on 4/6/2014We spent many hours in the garden celebrating two affairs..one with drinks and snacks, the second with dinner and wine...the weather was very nice, the garden was very nice and scented with wonderful Jasmine!! Our cocktails were nicely done and our waitress was polite, well-intentioned and attentive. The snacks/hors d'ouevres were just fair...looked great but they were not great. The wine we chose for dinner with the help of our waitress was good...the food was fair. Overall the evening was enjoyable but the food is not up to the name "gastropub"...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitgirlsnightoutDined on 3/7/2014We were not expecting to be sitting next to the bar area as it was a birthday dinner for my wife. It was a tad loud. Overall it was okay but definitely not fine dining.Special Features:
- Tried their 4-course Valentinespleasanton45135Dined on 2/14/2014Tried their 4-course Valentines Prix Fixe menu; first 3 courses were fair to good, dessert was bad (caramel sauce glued and hardened to the plate, and meringue was a hockey puck. advertised as wine or beer pairing, in reality, offered a choice of glass of Fenestra True Red or a Pinot Grigio for the entire meal- thought it would be sample by course. As such, it was way over-priced. Otherwise, a decent experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- They can take a larger party.KimberDined on 2/13/2014We had a party of 7, and it was hard to find a restaurant in Downtown Pleasanton that would take us, making the reservation for dinner the same day on a Thursday. Handles took us, and sat us in the bar area. It was a little cramped. The meatloaf was good. The cabernet was Nottingham, a local wine, it was good. The service was not very good. He forgot water, even though we asked a few times. We never got a refill on the water either. My son had a children's meal which came with dessert and he forgot about that as well.Special Features:
- We had Thanksgiving lunchwcmamaDined on 11/28/2013We had Thanksgiving lunch at Handles. Although we don't eat pork and the sides were cooked with bacon, it was a good experience.Special Features:
- NastySSFLjFDined on 11/16/2013Food was gross. Velveeta nachos. Stomach cramps and nausea.
- Fun night food so-soDeedeeDined on 10/26/2013Waitress was great, food was so-so nothing special.
- FantasticUnderAgedDined on 10/17/2013As a minor, sadly I did not get to enjoy the interesting bar scene. However, the dinner we enjoted was top notch and was the perfect venue for our 1920's themed date. The food was excellent (the mac-n-cheese was suprisingly good) and the ambiance was really fun. A little loud inside, but their outside seating venue looked very pleasant. Altogether a good restraunt i would recommend for any enjoyable occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- something Fishy!PrimeribberDined on 9/20/2013we walked into this restaurant and immediately was overcome by "Fish" the smell was so overwhelming, had we not been having a big group dinner (16 people) we would have hightailed it out of that restaurant. The food was not the greatest, not even for the price! and, the drinks - not very good either.Special Features:
- Very Relaxing AtmosphereRomaroDined on 9/20/2013This was my first time at Handles, and I was quite impressed/ We sat on the patio, listened to excellent live music, ate delicious food and had wonderful service///the perfect evening!Special Features:
- I was hoping the food wasNinjaFoodieDined on 8/30/2013I was hoping the food was better this time around, but it wasn't. I try to frequent the neighborhood restaurants as much as possible, and give each one multiple opportunities to prove themselves. Unfortunately, once again the food was just okay. My friend and I ordered the pork nachos which were cold and had little flavor. It would be great if the pork was hot and there was more cheese (think hot and melted). I think my other friend had the pulled pork sandwich and said it was just okay. Maybe it's just the pork dishes. I have been here on other occasions for lunch and it was okay. I prefer to come in the evening to enjoy a beer or two, and maybe an appetizer (which are usually just okay). But, it's a great place to bump into friends!Special Features:
- Enjoyed our visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2013We were celebrating a family birthday and were not disappointed. Since it's a casual place, the goofy teen girls were as comfortable as the parents & granparents. The menu has a nice selection with an emphasis on salads & starters. Nicely prepared & presented. The fried green tomatoes were yummy and the guys liked the corn pops (battere, fried baby bratwursts with house-made chips).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2013Celebrated a birthday. Sat outside first we'd. Of each month great live music. Had a great meal with friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too loud for a nice dinnertheprobeguyDined on 7/25/2013Normally our favorite place is the Main Street Brewery acoss the street, but this time we were taking my 72 year old mom out for her birthday. We wanted some place nice enough to dress for but also kid friendly. Handles fit the bill. I thought the dining room would be quiet. However, there was a single large party of men across the room and the noise just seemed to echo off the walls and from the bar too. It was hard to hear anything in a conversational tone. I wanted to go here just for the beer selection and that was great. My shrimp salad was just okay. The kids said the hamburgers were good, but not as good as the Main Street brewery. However, my wife said her smoke turkey and brie was really fantastic /delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to expectations.BWNLadiesDined on 7/10/2013I loved sitting on the patio and service was reasonable but could have been much improved by simple actions. We were told we could have separate checks but when it came down to it that didn't happened. Menu is limited. Experience disappointing. I will probably go back only because it is a really nice patio and nice group seating.Special Features:
- Father's day, under-staffedFxdb10Dined on 6/16/2013Had made reservations for our family on father's day. I had visited Handles in 2010 and enjoyed the food and service On this occasion I was very embarrassed and disappointed. We found one girl basically doing it all. The young hostess was no help and had the deer intthe headlights look. The server was overwhelmed and repeatedly forgot silverware and plates for appetizers. The food was average. Appetizers included ceviche tostadas, beef tacos, and calamari. The calamari was very 'wet' and the breading fell apart in your hands. My pork chops were tough on the outside and far from moist on the inside. Sadly they were completely out of ice cream. All in all I was embarrassed to have talked so highly of handles. Will probably not return.Special Features:
- Historic downtown locationSashaDined on 5/31/2013Our out of state guest enjoyed the location and atmosphere. A good selection of American home style cooking. More vege options needed on menu. Service slow not attentive. Good choice for our guest. Probably will not go again we are vegetarians not too many options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day brunchBuddyDined on 5/12/2013Not up to my expectations. The food was fair at best. Clearly not worth the price for this special occasion. I have had dinner there a few time and will again, but I won't be using Handles for brunch again. The staff was excellent, however,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately we were notOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/23/2013Unfortunately we were not served at all to be able to give a review on service or food. However, the lack of attentiveness of the greeter and the waitress is a review in and of itself. It took the front house greeter 5 mins to come to the front and seat the party in front of us. When he sat the party in front of us, we expected him to return shortly thereafter, but he did not. 5 minutes later he returned in which we decided to seat ourselves in the bar area. After 10 minutes, no one had acknowledged us nor did they bring us menus. Finally a waitress stopped by to give us menus and stated she would return, but never did. We chose to leave after being there for 25 minutes and not being acknowledged.
- CONS: This place is not managedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/10/2013CONS: This place is not managed well. The space is too big. The servers are running between the bar area, front porch, side garden, and inside seating. We walked in and there was no host/hostess. We were standing a few minutes until seated. It took a long time to for the server to come by and ask what we wanted. Someone should becoming right away. I thought my husbands chicken was dry. My fries were overcooked. My veggie sandwich-- the foccacia had no body to it and it was rendered too soggy by the tomatos.should have been toasted. Spinach salad is small (not enough spinach, too many walnuts and cranberries-- unbalanced ). PROS: sweet potato fries. beer selection.
- Bad service, bad food, flatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/17/2013Bad service, bad food, flat drinks on tap. Too many problems to go into, lets just say none of us could eat and they took one meal back and replaced it with something worse. Just terrible.
- Have several TVs to view sports.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2013Have several TVs to view sports. We were there for a birthday but also are Sharks hockey fans so it was great to see the game. Noise level high. Staff was friendly and helpful although when I did not see dessert on menu I asked if they had dessert to order for birthday. The server said he would take care of it. He did and then charged us without even letting us know what he was bringing and price. We appreciated but thought we should have been told of cost no complimentary like most places.Special Features:
- Super fun place to go. TheLydaDined on 2/2/2013Super fun place to go. The food is good and perfect for pairing with their fabulous array of great beers. We love the atmosphere, and always enjoy going here.
- DIning at HandlesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2013The dining area is reasonably quiet and kid friendly but the service was slow and inconsistent. I felt like our waiter forgot us. Multiple times. We were turned out to be a party of 6 people dining with 2 who joined later to share a beer with us at our table. Tip was automatically added (party of 8...) and it did not seem justified considering service.Special Features:
- Meh.TRIXDined on 12/30/2012Average food and HORRIBLE service. Our waiter looked and acted like he just got out of bed. He was mono-syllabic and rude. He really made it clear that he did not care whether we were enjoying ourselves or not---he just wanted us out of there (to go home and go back to bed I guess). And I've had better food at Denny's. I'll go there next time for brunch. I was extremely disapointed and won't go back to this restaurant.Special Features: