Hanci Turkish Cuisine
854 10th Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
TurkishPrice: $30 and under
Hanci Turkish Cuisine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hanciturkishcuisine.com/
- Phone: 2127078144
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11 AM - 3:00 PM
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 3:00 PM - 10:30 PM, Saturday: 1:00 PM - 10:30 PM, Sunday 2:00 PM - 10:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Turkish
- Executive Chef: Yakup Karatas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Yes.
A word from Hanci Turkish Cuisine
We aim to recreate Turkish food as it is found in Turkey, right here in the heart of New York City by combining the freshest of ingredients with recipes that have withstood the taste test of time. As each of our dishes is prepared with special care, our menu is simple; we prefer quality over quantity.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hanci Turkish Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (4)romantic (2)great for lunch (2)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great Off the Beaten TrackOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014The food was excellent, the service was first rate and this wonderful restaurant compares very favorably to my favorite Turkish restaurant in NYC - the Turkish Kitchen. And it is less expensive!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Turkish FoodBlodgesDined on 7/28/2014Absolutely authentic, well-prepared, generously-portioned Turkish food. Standards like shish kabob and tavuk kabob were perfectly tender; grilled fish excellent. Meze were large portions, good for sharing. Arnavut cigeri (liver) was delicious and so were all the others, both hot and cold. Bread was freshly made. Service was very good and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair place, fair food, fair priceDrTKDined on 6/25/2014I am a cooking chef with great fondness for middle eastern food. Got to this restaurant with high expectations and had a lentil soup, lamb wrapped in cabbage, and hummus. Alas, the cooks forgot where the salt was that evening, as I had to re-season from scratch (I do not eat salty). However, obvious effort went into the preparation and presentation (though it could use more garnishings). Service was swift and polite. Would recommend it to diversify your taste repertoire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a great 'find.'OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 6/20/2014The six of us were more than pleased with the food. The service was really friendly and helpful with some unfamiliar items. I guess, despite the fact that our waiter forgot one soup and one appetizer -- that we were charged for -- the service still gets a three-star rating.Special Features:
- Pre-Philharmonic Birthday DinnerCTRobinDined on 6/13/2014I found this affordable gem on Yelp, using search in Hell's Kitchen. I used the user friendly opentable to make my reservation. I love grilled fish and they had at least 4 choices on the menu. We had an early reservation, so the small restaurant was very quiet when we arrived, but picked up when we were done. Try the Turkish wine and beer; light and refreshing. Also the mixed appetizers. Of course, baklava for dessert with either the apple tea or Turkish coffee. Although the meal was very good, the best part of our dining experience was the wait staff. Charming, accommodating and friendly, bordering on familial! I recommend this place while visiting Lincoln Center, which is just a few blocks away.Special Features:
- Don't Get ItOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014The lamb was terrible. The server was rude. I don't get why this place has such high ratings.
- foodluvrsDined on 5/30/2014Needed a place in this neighborhood and we love Turkish food. It is a great find for what seems otherwise a no man's land for eating. Food was classic Turkish style. Service was warm, friendly and prompt. Chef came out to chat with our party at the end of the meal. All in all, a lovely experience.Special Features:
- Great first visitNickDined on 5/30/2014My wife and I selected Hanci for my birthday visit on a recent trip to NYC. With an upcoming trip to Istanbul two months from now, we wanted to find good authentic Turkish cuisine. We were not disappointed. I made one mistake in ordering Turkish tea, requesting it before the meal. As part of my learning experience, I realized too late that this was not iced tea to sip through the meal. Having travelled a great deal, I should have known better. But it was very good tea! Our selection proved to be a good choice, as we spotted numerous native Turks among the customers.Special Features:
- Great, simple Turkish on 10thJohnDined on 5/28/2014An informal neighborhood restaurant with great food and service. Save room for dessert. Their "kunefe" (baked shredded wheat with honey and spices) is a wonderful surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousBerdieVIPDined on 5/16/2014The food is wonderful and the quality of the meat is much better than other Turkish restaurants in the area. I love it there.Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 5/10/2014Found the restaurant by chance searching for someplace to eat that was not too far from the Irish Arts Center. Calamari appetizer was garlicky and delicious. The whole Branzino which came with some salad was very good. Two others in our party had the baby lamb chops which came with rice; they thought it was very good. Prices were reasonable for the area; perhaps the fish could have come with a starch. We were in a hurry, so did not have time to try dessert or coffee--next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 73 reviews are from the Hanci Turkish Cuisine reviews archive.
- Excellent and very fresh..EeSsDined on 3/31/2014Excellent and very fresh.. The appetizers and dinner were fabulous. The baklava they Served for dessert was soggy and a little stale...but don't let that discourage you. The Rest was first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visit for sureJSDinnerDined on 3/29/2014Perfect little restaurant - great Turkish food at an affordable price. The staff work really hard, and it shows. Definitely recommend it for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Walking distance to Lincoln CenterAEABDined on 3/29/2014Menu for vegetarians and lamb/chicken lovers. Pleasant, efficient service. Excellent turkish red house wine. Tarama appetizer v. salty. Our 2 different lamb dishes (chops and Iskender kebab) were very good, the vegetarian one (grilled vegetables), uninspired. Very good shepherd salad and lentil soup. Apple tea and turkish coffee very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Turkish Food at Low PriceseconoinkerVIPDined on 3/19/2014The food at this place isn't great, but it is good, and the prices are very reasonable. If you're looking for a quick, relatively cheap meal, it's a good pick.
- Great basic Turkish FoodJerryKarenDined on 2/22/2014Friendly but not intrusive service. Both the grilled whole bronzini and the chicken (?) dish we had were very well done and with a sensible portion size. Simple, but elegant fare. The wine selection was also simple, but more than adequate for the price. We will definitely return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent unusual foodMaggieDined on 1/25/2014Prices are great. Food was delicious. Unpretentious relaxed dining. Much more satisfying than noisy, pricey places. This place is was just perfect, before going to jazz at Lincoln Center .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable ....KelvinATLVIPDined on 1/1/2014This is a reasonable place.... but some of the dishes lack variety .... and the flavors aren't anything to shout about. It's also lacking ambience - too well lit and lacks the vibe and character that you like to have in a restuarant. Having said this, if you're looking for Turkish food, this certainly isn't a bad start.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very nice. HoweverJackDined on 1/1/2014The food was very nice. However the waitress was a rude. The design is nice. And the chef is talented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Restaurant, Good FoodjcsnycDined on 12/28/2013Was easy to get a reservation after Big Apple Circus. Good food - and Turkish feels a bit exotic.. They were able to accomodate a group of 8 and it was easy to pick out some appetizers that our kids like (7 and 9.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best KunefeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/13/2013I took my sister and aunt to Hanci and we had a bkast. The food was really tasty. We had a couple of starters and one main dish (the Iskandsr Kebab); one of the best that i had. Then after, we decided to get the infamous Kunafe with somr Turkish tea; and that was mesmerizing. The cheese in the Kunafe was so delicious it literally made us speechless. Its a definite place to pay a visit if you happen to be in town. Make a reservation first though, it can be crowded.Special Features:
- great foodMRNYCVIPDined on 12/12/2013We have been there many times, and we have loved every time, the food is wonderful, the staff so nice and friendly, and the Turkish wines very goodSpecial Features:
- A great family owned restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/3/2013I have eaten at this restaurant for about four years - the owners are husband and wife - they are so kind and the food is delicious. A nice wine list and the appetizer plate and the lamb are so good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner of 6 before an 8 pmOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/30/2013Dinner of 6 before an 8 pm an theater, so it was great food, fast service, friendly staff. I would dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Turkish foodfussyVIPDined on 11/16/2013I have been to Hanci twice and I have not been disappointed. It is homemade food that is just so good. They have great meat dishes but also vegetarian ones. We also loved the grape leaves. Everything is fresh and well prepared. The desserts are all homemade and just great.Special Features:
- We'll try it againHungryVIPDined on 11/9/2013Unfortunately there was a party of about 25 seated in what is a very small restaurant. People shouted to be heard at the end of a very long table. The noise was horrendous. It was hard to talk. The staff is very nice and accommodating and the food was very good. We would try it again and hopefully there will be no big parties when we are there.Special Features:
- *Very* nice neighborhood TurkishKrunoslavDined on 10/29/2013And the people are very nice and friendly. We had a very good meal there, and we know the cuisine quite well. Portions sufficient without being to much. Lentil Soup is excellent!Special Features:
- OK, but nothing specialDissapointedDined on 10/7/2013I needed a place to have a good, tasty, ethnic affordable dinner before theater, on a week night. I found Hanci Turkish Cuisine with rave reviews on line, and tried it. We went early for our 6 PM reservation, the place was still empty. The one waitress, who could have been the owner, was ok but seemed blaze and burnt out, or tired. The first and second courses were ok but nothing special, tired and pedestrian. The service was prompt but basic, laking enthusiasm and attention. We had to ask for water refill each time. The atmosphere was cold, with delivery staff walking in and out. The desert was really good, we had baklava, but the portion was tiny. Won't return. I know turkish food can be better than what was served.
- A surprising, authentic gemMSC2013Dined on 9/13/2013We booked a res at Hanci for a large party because I was eager to have our local group try something new during breaks from rehearsals and, with our number it was very challenging to find places around upper Midtown that: could take our party; weren't too pricey; had good reviews; weren't too touristy; weren't too "loud"; and weren't typical bars/pubs. I was a bit apprehensive because I didn't know everyone's tastes - would Turkish food be too adventurous? - but I had faith that everyone would find something acceptable on the menu. Well, EVERYONE loved their food - and the apple tea's HIGHLY recommended - and the staff was helpful and accommodating. The decor is kind of plain but don't let that fool you - definitely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of TurkeyPdxMarcDined on 8/22/2013My family (nine of us) had a pre-theater dinner at Hanci a few days ago. We were quite pleased. The staff is attentive, and takes their business personally (in a good way). The food was solid. I've been to Istanbul, and the appetizer platter stood the test. My lamb shank fell off the bone, and held the flavors of the vegetables it was cooked with. Very nice. This is not a fancy place, just a place to get solid, good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Fresh As it Gets Turkish FareFoodieNYCVIPDined on 8/15/2013We ordered several dishes inc. the falafel, the white bean salad, the char-grilled salmon, the yogurt dip with walnuts and garlic, and the fried eggplant cubes. We were struck by how fresh the food tasted. It was also seasoned to perfection and the portions are generous with very fair prices. We shared everything and had food left over. The bread is also to die for, which for me is a priority. It's understandable why Zagat gives Hanci a 24 for food: They deserve it. Service was swift. The desserts (apricots stuffed with cream and an unusual milk pudding (it's firm like flan) were also very good. Can't wait to go back. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OK Neighborhood TurkishnycdinerDined on 7/29/2013Small, pleasant-looking tablecloth restaurant. Went there because of proximity to Ars Nova Theater - W.54th St. Bored/indifferent waitstaff the night we were there. Has some vegetarian options.Grapeleaves appetizer good, Babaganoush app good. Lambshank special was not very flavorful, Chicken kebabs okay.
- Delicious economical dinnerJoanVIPDined on 7/7/2013Dolma and lamb shank were exceptionally delicious. Environment needs renovation--conversations at other tales were amplified by brick wall. Glass front wa glaringly bright at sunset--needs shades or curtains.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Turkish FoodSeanoNYCVIPDined on 6/22/2013Not fancy in any way. But...Solid location. Efficient service. Tasty wine at moderate prices. Fantastic food. I would go back.
- So soTWDAVIDined on 6/9/2013The food was a bit disappointing. Service was good. Doubt I will go back.
- Best lamb shank in NYCNJTomDined on 5/31/2013Hanci is a small Turkish restaurant on 10th Avenue that has consistently excellent food. If they have lamb shank for the nightly special I recommend it wholeheartedly - the best I have found in New York. Regular menu items: dolma, kebabs, salads, etc are all reasonably priced and well worth ordering. The wine list is limited, so we choose one of the Anatolian reds which pair well with the cuisine. Being on 10th Avenue Hanci is a bit west for some folks, but I recommend walking the extra block from 9th (and all those ethnic choices) and giving it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Turkish with reasonablecjelVIPDined on 5/18/2013Authentic Turkish with reasonable prices. Decor feels a little outdated but food more than makes up for it! Delicious and thoughfully presented dishes.
- Delicious Turkish FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2013Hanci Turkish Cuisine is a very nice little restaurant with very reasonably priced, delicious food. It's a BYOB however they do have a liquor license and charge $10 corking fee. Our group of 4 filled up on fabulous appetizers, one more delicious than the next, and then ordered 3 dishes to share. Our waitress was very amiable and attentive and even gave us a free soup while we awaited our main courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/10/2013I've tried many turkish restaurants and this one just doesn't make on the map. The food didnt taste special, the wine was terrible and the presentation was mediocre. The people were nice but that by itself won't make it.
- An authentic Turkish gemcookbookreviewerDined on 4/25/2013Hanci is a unique and delightful restaurant. Located on the far west stide of the city, it is tucked into the street and easy to miss if you are not looking for it. The room is small, intimate and quiet; the owner and his wife are extraordinarily pleasant and obliging. And the food is wonderful: fresh, authentic, delicious. My husband and I have eaten there often -- with and without friends --and always are amused when our friends are surprised by the excellent food. As the daughter of a Turkish chef I really appreciate the authenticity of Hanci's dishes. Their whole grilled fish is wonderful; their mezze are far superior to those of most other Turkish restaurants, and the lamb shank is bound to bring you back. Highly recommendedSpecial Features: