Hanaro Restaurant and Lounge
7820 Norfolk Ave
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Hanaro Restaurant and Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hanarobethesda.com/
- Phone: 3016547851x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Sunday 12:00pm-4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 2:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 2:30pm - 1:30am, Saturday: 2:30pm - 1:30am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Asian
- Executive Chef: Kathy Han
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Hanaro Restaurant and Lounge would love to cater your next event. We can offer anything from sushi platters to Korean Bar-B-Q and also provide you with an in-house sushi chef.
- Entertainment: Hanaro Restaurant and Lounge offers a full service bar and a DJ every Friday and Saturday night.
- Special Events: Please visit our Facebook, website or Instagram for the latest updates on our weekly special events.
- Cross Street: St. Elmo
- Public Transit: The Bethesda Metro station is on Wisconsin Ave approximately two blocks from Hanaro.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is available also garage parking is available within one block of Hanaro. Closest garage parking is available on St. Elmo and also Woodmont Ave.
A word from Hanaro Restaurant and Lounge
Hanaro Restaurant and Lounge is located in the heart of downtown Bethesda. We specialize in modern fusion sushi cuisine and also other Asian dishes. Hanaro combines and utilizes tastes from Thailand to Korea, using the freshest and most local ingredients that are available. We offer an atmosphere that is suitable for an intimate dinner with your significant other or a group of your friends to celebrate a birthday and everything in between.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hanaro Restaurant and Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (3)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- vivalavidaVIPDined on 10/7/2014Our dinner was enjoyable but the sushi is not that remarkable. It was OK. The attention and service was impeccable.
- Worst Sushi ExperienceSEG1980VIPDined on 9/27/2014Worst sushi experience I ever had... The lounge portion had a loud live group playing. Not the ideal ambiance one expects from a Japanese restaurant. Still trying to find the best sushi in Bethesda. Sushi Taro in DC is good. (The sushi is worst then pre-made to-go sushi that you can buy at stores such as Whole Foods and/or Safeway)
- .food was better last year...linkVIPDined on 8/5/2014Service was slow and unattentive..probably due to young inexperienced server...it was hard to eat in this place..but we were so hungry
- Good find.vett66robDined on 7/25/2014Good sushi - nice selection! Slightly loud but easily worth the noise factor.Special Features:
- The following 36 reviews are from the Hanaro Restaurant and Lounge reviews archive.
- Great value & servicewilmotvDined on 6/12/2014Thanks for a wonderful 1st time experience. The sushi & sashimi was simply fabulous.The fried rice was sublime--the vegetables still had their crunch! Our entire family are foodies; the 6 & 17 year old raved about the fried rice. My husband & I tried, we concur. Ms. Ung provided great service.Special Features:
- Sushi & Sake FunFoodieQueenMKHDined on 6/11/2014This is my third time at Hanaro and each experience is pretty good. I had girls night outting with one of my best gal pals and it was pretty fun. Wednesdays are ladies night and you get a half prices bottle of wine so we ordered a bottle of white. We both had really good rolls. I ordered the June Roll which was their special for the month. It had shrimp tempura in the middle and was topped with spicy mayo and lobster salad. I also ordered the spider roll and the eel roll. My friend got the spicy mango roll, the calamari and the dumplings. All really good choices. I still think that Hanaro's prices are pretty crazy though. $15-20 FOR A ROLL?!?! Get outta here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb SushiTakoma33Dined on 5/30/2014My friend and I did a late lunch at Hanaro. Neither of us had ever been and we both were amazed by the creative sushi roll combinations and the ultra-freshness of the fish. Everything was delicious and very fresh. Shortly after arriving, we were surprised to learn their happy hour started. So the speciality rolls were discounted. Appetizers are discounted as well. We also had warm sake which was very good. They have an excellent sake list. We will definitely return. The atmosphere is very nice and our server was excellent.Special Features:
- Service was badFairVIPDined on 5/11/2014Went for dinner on Mother's Day. The food was good. The roles were descent but the service was horrid. The food came out all wrong, and the kids ordered chicken teriyaki but brought pad Thai. And he problem was that the waitress said it was correct. Same with my sushi. It was a mess. The manager did take care of it but it was a mess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnbelievableMeganDined on 3/22/2014This restaurant was some of the best service I have ever received. Our server was amazing and the owner came and spoke to us and was wonderful! The Lobster Roll was the best sushi I have ever had and I will absolutely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestDBDinerVIPDined on 1/18/2014A very mediocre Asian trying to please many palates. Dumplings were fine, nothing out of the ordinary. Pad thai was disappointing. It had four lousy shrimp. The sushi was fair, at best. And really, really pricey. I had one roll that was so devoid of flavor and was almost $12. Ordinarily I would give a place a second chance and go again. But owing to the cost, I will not "eat the risk."
- Love Hanaro!CookieDined on 1/9/2014Went for the 2nd time for holiday dinner with a friend. First time was with family. 2nd time was during happy hour. Loved both times. It is also a lot more quiet than other restaurants in the neighborhood even with a full house. Happy hour is half prize on some dishes and the large sake and $3.00 off some of the sushi rolls. Shrimp Shumai is very good. My friend and I both are crazy about the Hanaro special sushi roll. Their Pad Thai was okay but all in all I will be going back with more friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itVickiVIPDined on 1/8/2014First time at Hanaro and we were very pleasantly surprised! The food and the service was fabulousSpecial Features:
- Our first visit there. ThebirthdaycelebrationDined on 1/8/2014Our first visit there. The was simple but great! Our server, apologies i don't recall his name, was attentive and friendly. Food was great and for the right price. We 'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy hour is a great specialBe156Dined on 12/31/2013While the sushi probably isn't the best I've ever had, it was very good and especially at the low prices that are offered during happy hour!I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent sushi spotJenniDined on 12/20/2013We've been looking for a good place for sushi and we loved hanaro! Great specialty rolls and traditional rolls. We enjoyed the beef drunken noodles, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than expected...MikeyMIkeDined on 12/18/2013Our server was not entirely interested in serving us. You know, when you have to ask for everything that they should be asking you, and you feel awkward because it seems you are inconveniencing their night........ Food was good, but nothing to get excited about and want more. Compared to the reviews online it fell way short of that. Also, does not feel like a sushi restaurant, just a regular old bar with eating space attached. Will try somewhere else next time....
- Meh...UKFoodiesVIPDined on 12/16/2013Bought an Amazon Local deal for Hanaro and decided to try it on a Monday night for dinner. The place was pretty quiet, with perhaps two other tables full of diners. We ordered two sushi rolls which tasted fine, but we wondered how fresh the ingredients were as the rice and fish were so cold it was like they'd all just come out deep-thaw. Our mains were chicken teriaki, which was Ok but tasted more like grilled chicken and cabbage; and Port Katsu, which had a nice sauce but the breading was so thick it was like eating chicken fried steak. The service was friendly and the miso soup was nice. Otherwise we had a very average experience and probably won't return (sorry).Special Features:
- Fine tuning neededRWoodBVIPDined on 12/1/2013The restaurant uses very good ingredients, especially the fish in the shashimi. However, the sauces and dressings taste like they come out of bottles bought at a supermarket. The decor is varnished brown drab. While the wait staff is very good, an oblivious busser dumped tableware into bins immediately adjacent to our table. Some fine tuning could make this a very good restaurant
- Amazing sushi. Service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2013Amazing sushi. Service was slow becUse bar was busy. Nice watress ,not her fault. Ic u cld imprve the slow delivery you would have a wunnet.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/26/2013The restaurant is cute but kind of empty and cold on the side we were first seated on. I ordered the vegetarian sushi bar and my friend had the shrimp tempura. The miso soup and green salad were great, as well as the cosmo I had. It was delicious. My meal was good (one would hope they don't mess up the cucumber roll) but my friend's tempura was unseasoned and bland. Even the sauce that came with it was tasteless. Other than that the place was okay. If we were to return it would be to give them another chance and try something different.
- Birthday funIheartfoodDined on 9/28/2013We celebrated my birthday and we were a table of 14 and the waitress did great! Beyond the service the obviance of city,music,chic was exactly what we were looking for! Now to the good stuff our food was above and beyond our expectations of an Asian restaurant! The chef was dead on with every plate! The shrimp dumplings,kani roll,wings,all of the terryaki dishes,rice just everything we ordered no one was not beyond satisfied and impressed out of big group of women that is un heard of lol! And the Tokyo teas were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was my first time hereDee1Dined on 9/21/2013It was my first time here and I must say it was a great pick for a first date and the desert was amazing!!! Will come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome FoodLAP82Dined on 9/15/2013The food was delicious. The tempura ice cream was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good mealTomCVIPDined on 9/11/2013The sushi was very good and all around enjoyed the experience. The waitress went above and beyond when she ran after me as I'd left my credit card behind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a fabulous find! I wentEmmyVIPDined on 8/23/2013What a fabulous find! I went with my coworker and we both ordered bento boxes: teriyaki shrimp, rice, dumpling, soup, salad, half an order of California rolls, and a watermelon slice to refresh your palate at the end. Just ten bucks! I'm gonna say it... better than Raku down the street and cheaper. Plus checking in on yelp got us free edamame to start. We needed to at least taste their actual raw sushi though, despite already having so much food, so we split an order of the salmon avocado roll. Very good. Not skimpy, nice plump pieces of fish. *One star shy of a perfect score because I wish they had more variety of rolls, or were more lax about substitutions. But not too big of a deal, because overall I will 100% be back.
- Good dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2013Went here for a friends birthday. The food and service service were great. My drink was not very good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best SushiVassyDined on 7/15/2013This is me and my boyfriends affordable "date spot." We have never really ordered an entree as we both loooovveee Hanaro's sushi. The Cherry Blossom Roll is to die for! Highly recommend this place. It's not THE fanciest of places and the service isn't as attentive as in higher-class joints, but everyone is very nice and quick in responding to needs and/or special requests. :) The bar is also usually quite full, but I have not had good experiences with their drinks. Not my cup of tea.Special Features:
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/15/2013My husband and I came here in hopes we could find a good sushi place in Bethesda that wasn't as packed as Raku and we have now found our neighborhood sushi gem! Friendly and fast service with really delicious and fresh sushi. Their spicy tuna rolls are actually spicy and their salmon nigiri was as smooth as butter. We genuinely enjoyed our meal and will definitely be returning. Try the spicy mango roll, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ate outside on the patioJudyVIPDined on 6/14/2013We ate outside on the patio as we had our little doggy with us. The food was good and the waiter was excellent!
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/12/2013Our server was outstanding. We had a party of 10 and provided excellent service. He was very attentive and even memorized the entire order without any mistakes! Great food and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place was great and theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013This place was great and the sushi was phenomen can't go wrong with the octopus nigiri, the firecracker roll, the spicy mango roll or the steamed dumplings. The service was excellent. I would definitely recommend, especially for a romantic date night which was what I went for.Special Features:
- We loved this restaurant!DeelishDined on 4/13/2013We loved this restaurant! We had to have two orders of the firecracker rolls, they were awesome. There are other choices for those who don't want sushi, but clearly sushi is the star here. The ambiance was lovely, and the location in the heart of Bethesda can't be beat. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- There was nothing really outstandinroguepersonVIPDined on 4/10/2013There was nothing really outstanding about this restaurant. Its decent sushi, but for the price, you pay, there's nothing that stands out about this place that will make you come from any distance if you have a sushi restaurant closer to you. I cannot honestly recommend it, but I can say, if you're passing by and have a craving for sushi, this is a place to check out. But I wouldnt' go out of my way to come here.Special Features:
- OK food, OK service -- that's itOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/10/2013Decent Japanese fare. Nothing too offensive, nothing to wow us either. two issues (1) the place had an unpleasant smell. Kinda musty I would say. (2) we told them that this was a birthday dinner for the kids (it was!), no reaction. I didn't expect much, but maybe a mini desert? After all, the bill was well over $100 (for 2 adults + 2 kids) and we had no alcohol, and no fancy menu items... To sum it up, we didn't think it is worth going back.
- Happy Hour specialsYaomoversDined on 4/7/2013Awesome food, great happy hour, different specials everyday! Service is good, sushi rolls are original, unique and look amazing.Special Features:
- This is probably the bestBethesdaDinerVIPDined on 3/25/2013This is probably the best Japanese restaurant in Bethesda. Delicious food nicely prepared; attentive service. Far better than average.Special Features:
- Food was just ok. There areOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/23/2013Food was just ok. There are many better options for Asian food in Bethesda.
- The sushi is excellent, butOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/17/2013The sushi is excellent, but the non-sushi options are limited and less well done.
- Great food and music!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2013I went on a Friday night so it was 21+ . Great DJ playing hip hop, R&B, and some reggae. The lounge area is small but this place is definitely a GO. We went to the restaurant part first which is still on the small side but we were sat immediately since we used open table for our reservation. The food was good and service was great too.Special Features:
- hanaro rolls are greatBrunchmanDined on 3/1/2013Hanaro has great rolls and i've found the food all around to be very good there. It quickly became one of my go-to places for sushi in the bethesda area. Get there and try their lobster roll!Special Features: