Hana Zen Yakitori & Sushi Bar
115 Cyril Magnin
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Hana Zen Yakitori & Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hanazenrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4154212101
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine
- Catering: They offer catering with 72 hour notice and minimum of 30 persons. Cost per person starts at $15.00 for lunch and $30.00 for dinner.
- Private Party Facilities: Private area for 30 persons. Please call.
- Private Party Contact: Angie Louie 4159714548
A word from Hana Zen Yakitori & Sushi Bar
Hana Zen offers excellent sushi, the finest yakitori and premium sake, sake flights, sochu, wine, & cocktails. They offer friendly service in an open and lively atmosphere. They are the home of the true Japanese food lover.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hana Zen Yakitori & Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (3)neighborhood gem (2)special occasion (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Hana ZenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2014Visited the Sushi Bar. Wait staff was great and very attentive. Sushi was of good quality and excellently prepared.Special Features:
- Smelly placeMabrapoDined on 7/31/2014The bad smell of detergents was covering any food parfume. Food presented poorly and taste was awful. Paid almost $50 each for a really below average meal. Never again.
- Fishy toroIronJemVIPDined on 6/8/2014I ordered both toros and they were fishy and had terrible textures.
- The following 163 reviews are from the Hana Zen Yakitori & Sushi Bar reviews archive.
- C'mon. You can do betterDavidandPatDined on 4/12/2014For anyone familiar with sushi in the Bay Area, you know that there are some truly terrific places, where the fish tastes as though it was caught that day. Not this place. The sushi looked tired, as though it was days old. It tasted okay, but not even remotely up to Bay Area standards. And the pieces were significantly small, which may not be a bad thing when the fish isn't that good to begin with. You can most assuredly do better than this restaurant.
- Good foodBbcdineDined on 3/12/2014Group was looking for Sushi in close proximity to hotel. It was good, however rating reflect the very small portions, especially the sashimi. Otherwise it he food was good.Special Features:
- great sushi, easy localeeesfDined on 2/16/2014the fish was really fresh and presented beautifully, the server was attentive and personable, and the prices are very reasonable!Special Features:
- food arrived randomlyangelaDined on 2/15/2014All my courses in my combo dinner arrived before any of the courses of my two companion diners. Waitress did not seem to think it was a problem "Oh sorry about that".
- Fresh and tastyOzdinerDined on 2/8/2014Great service and food!! Save some room for the meringue and ice cream desert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sake and good sushiDinnerDateVIPDined on 1/15/2014We had the tempura, soba noodle soup, garlic pork yakitori, crispy spicy tuna roll, and the lion king roll. All were really good. Tempura was perfectly fried, light and crispy. The garlic pork was very similar to pork belly. Both rolls were really good. They also have a good selection of sake. We asked for a recommendation and we were between 2 different kinds of sake. Our server recommended the lower priced one - really nice that she didn't just try to up sell us. Would definitely recommend this place and would go back.
- great food and great service,wonanVIPDined on 1/7/2014great food and great service, will definitely return!Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseeaterDined on 12/24/2013Needed a place to eat on Christmas Eve in San Francisco and came across this restaurant in Open Table. Reviews weren't stellar, but we were in the mood for sushi somewhere close to our hotel and not too expensive. We were very pleasantly surprised by the cozy ambience and nice views atop the busy city streets. Service was adequate and the food was really good and fresh. Even our 9 and 11 year olds finished everything on their plates which is a pretty good testament. Overall a good experience -- no complaints. We would happily recommend this place to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unassumingly awesomeoutandaboutVIPDined on 12/23/2013They take large party reservations! We had a huge sashimi combo, skewer (yakitori) combo, sake, and some rolls. All were delicious. Service was attentive, never overbearing. The place was fairly mellow and in a good central location downtown. Half a block from Johnny Foley's - a great after dinner stop for beverages. Go here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There are a lot of items oncarolVIPDined on 12/6/2013There are a lot of items on the menu so there are a lot to choose from. We went there around 7 p.m. but ran into some people who may have started their happy hours from 5 p.m. A couple of the person voices got pretty loud and carried. It ruined our dinner as we could not hear our own conversation. The food was okay. The yakitori (2 different orders) were forgotten and we waited 30 mins between dishes. Our assigned wait staff was too busy talking to his colleagues. Fortunately we got the attention from the other wait staff who was not even assigned to our table.
- Couldn't Have Felt Less WelcomeAprilGVIPDined on 12/2/2013I made a reservation for 4:15 after getting off a plane and wanting some sushi. I walked in 4 minutes early and was told that they shut down for dinner at 4:30 and I would need to order immediatley. I did so and my check came before my food and I was asked to sign immediately. The food was average and I felt extremely rushed through my 15 minute meal there. If they do not want customers at 4:15 pm they should not take reservations for that time.
- Quiet respite from shopping frenzyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/26/2013Located 2 blocks from the Powell BART station, this is a quiet and delicious place to take a break from downtown crowds. On a Tuesday night, the restaurant was quiet, the service attentive, and the food perfectly prepared. the Vegetarian dinner is especially recommended, with the caveat that it is a LOT of food!Special Features:
- Salmon was outstanding. TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/9/2013Salmon was outstanding. They had a party group that was very noisy, but moved us to a more quiet area.
- Very Good Sushikhub79Dined on 10/21/2013This is not an attractive restaurant. No real ambience, no fancy tables or fine art on the walls, just really good sushi. Service and speed were good and prices were reasonable. I will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meetup with Friends and ColleaguesrawdawgDined on 8/26/2013Had a group of 8 that met here for mostly sushi, made the reservation at OpenTable, they were able to seat us early. Service was good and so was the sushi. Sushi portions weren't as large as portions outside of the city but reasonable prices for downtown by convention area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2013Hana Zen has been one of my "goto" sushi bars in SF for a long time. Their sushi is wonderful and fresh and the atmosphere is nice. PLus it's close to Moscone and the nearby hotels. All in all, a solid performer!Special Features:
- Not what we expected.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2013Hana Zen was recommended to us by "foodie" friends who eat there on a regular basis. Our food was just OK, service was very good and very friendly; waiter helped sort out the menu. Might have been an off night in the kitchen - it was a Thursday. Will try again.
- So So just ain't enuff.LagatamachaDined on 4/5/2013Sushi choices were fresh as need be but selection was boring. Service was hurried and disinterested. Hostess was warm and welcoming. Probably wouldn't return. Next time will spend same sum of $$$ and dine at Anzu.Special Features:
- WeekDays Great, Skip the WeekendsGaryAVIPDined on 2/2/2013This is one of those places that the quality of food and service depend on the night you go. I recently dined here 2 nights in a 10 day period and the weekday evening the Yakitori and Sushi were excellent. However dining on a Sat Nite led to over cooked food and Sushi rolls that were falling apart. My recommendation is to go during the week and leave the weekends for the tourists.
- Very fast and friendly service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/2/2013Very fast and friendly service. Lots of options for tea. Sushi rolls were good, not great. Was a decent place for a quick lunch.
- Used to be much better andOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 1/9/2013Used to be much better and is gradually continuing downhill. Service has deteriorated -- appetizers came after main course. Reluctantly, would not return.
- Very poor service. 15 minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/8/2013Very poor service. 15 minutes to take order. Slow kitchen. Needed to be reminded twice to bring drinks. Terrible for a business lunch. B
- Pretty good, quality japaneseiheartsf415Dined on 12/24/2012Pretty good, quality japanese food, though not fancy or modern design inside. Real Japanese sushi chefs. Just a bit pricey, but not surprising since it's Union Square area. I would come here again.Special Features:
- Well the food was great ascasharitaDined on 12/16/2012Well the food was great as always..we enjoy the slightly different variety from most Japanese restaurants...the lamb chops appetizer and the martini scallops were excellent...a perfect location...always close to whateever hotel we are staying in around Union Square..the only cloud on the horizon was that (i admit i drank sake) and left my pretty scarf...i checked twice the next day but ...never to be seen again...alas!Special Features:
- Hyped up in Frommer's butSchadbogoVIPDined on 12/15/2012Hyped up in Frommer's but really nothing special. Beware--downtown location doesn't have the chicken meatballs, bummer
- Totally wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/25/2012I cannot believe this place is on top of reviews and list for opentable users.There must be a mistake...
- Very happy with Hana ZenCarlyVIPDined on 11/23/2012We enjoyed Hana Zen. It's in a good location, and large windows look over the street from the 2nd floor. We were seated immediately on a Saturday evening. We ordered a variety of dishes, and the food was great. It's a nice, yet casual spot with fantastic sushi. Try it!Special Features:
- The vegetarian special atMsRoxieVIPDined on 8/12/2012The vegetarian special at Hana Zen is the best bargain in the city. It's huge, beautifully done, and tastes even better than it looks. You might even forget you've eaten enough for three.
- Barely makes for a quick lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/6/2012Barely makes for a quick lunch. Nothing to talk about. Dissappointed that I invited someone to eat there.
- DissappointedTrsnVIPDined on 6/22/2012We are big sushi eaters and were quite disappointed with this restaurant. The service was terrible and the sushi itself was just average. Will not return.
- Didn't like the Yakitori butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2012Didn't like the Yakitori but sushi was good. The ambiance also didn't meet our expectations for a dinner...
- Great and varied yakitoriOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2012It's a yakitori bar more than a sushi bar and there, the yakitori is really good. For hot food, their hamachi kama is really good a great value compared to ordering it in Japantown. As for the sushi, lots of rolls for those who like that, but the star here is the cooked food.Special Features:
- Good sushi, but terrible service.DrewVIPDined on 6/10/2012The food was good, but the service was terrible. The server acted as if he didn't want to be there, when we asked questions abut the menu it was as if we were wasting his time. Honestly, good service can make up for any number of "sins", but bad service can ruin even the best meal. All I can say is get the service back in line.
- I pretty much had a neutralOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/8/2012I pretty much had a neutral experience here. Food was ok - certainly not bad, but it did not make a lasting impression. Service was ok. Everything was ok, neither stellar nor bad. Would I go again, sure why not.
- Great ambiance, decent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2012I love the ambiance of Hana Zen. The place is comfortable and refreshing, with a very friendly staff and a young happy crowd of diners. Its contemporary sleek decor is greatly complemented by windows looking over a busy downtown street. You get a beautiful view of the city but the restaurant is on the second floor, so passers-by cannot see what it is you are eating tonight. I've been to Hana Zen before, and came back for the yakitori. They are one of maybe three places in downtown SF that serve it. This time, however, it was a bit of a disappointment. Some of the skewers were unevenly cooked, and the bacon asparagus cannot compare to what you can get in other places for less money. The sushi, however, was fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- Its been a while since we'veGTansecoVIPDined on 5/18/2012Its been a while since we've been here, love it as alwaysSpecial Features:
- DisappointingfoodieDined on 5/5/2012We were going to go to ANZU at Hotel Nikko, but wanted something more upbeat and had cooked dishes for a member of our party who did not eat sushi- it was our last night in San Francisco and we had a Very early plane to catch in the morning. Waiter was not helpful in describing any dishes. The crispy (granted it did say deep fried in the description) was very crispy, actually deep fried that it looked burnt. The Lion King did not look like it had the ingredients it said it would have. The cooked salmon dish that was very over cooked. The only items that were good, was the soup and edamame, very hard to mess those up.