Hana Zen Yakitori & Sushi Bar
115 Cyril Magnin
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Hana Zen Yakitori & Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hanazenrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 421-2101
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine
- Catering: They offer catering with 72 hour notice and minimum of 30 persons. Cost per person starts at $15.00 for lunch and $30.00 for dinner.
- Private Party Facilities: Private area for 30 persons. Please call.
- Private Party Contact: Angie Louie 4159714548
A word from Hana Zen Yakitori & Sushi Bar
Hana Zen offers excellent sushi, the finest yakitori and premium sake, sake flights, sochu, wine, & cocktails. They offer friendly service in an open and lively atmosphere. They are the home of the true Japanese food lover.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hana Zen Yakitori & Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (4)late-night find (3)great for lunch (3)special occasion (2)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Easy pre-concert LunchLocalDinerVIPDined on 11/19/2014We came for lunch before a play, and it was just right - quick service, good menu selection and reasonably priced. Not much in the way of imaginative lunch choices, but that wasn't really the objective -it would have been nice, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mediocre serviceboccaeaterVIPDined on 11/8/2014Food was tasty and the table service was good. That said, we had a reservation for 8, showed up 5 minutes early, were not seated for 20 minutes, and were not offered a table that was open until we specifically requested it.
- Very Good over many years!HaleyDined on 11/6/2014I took my youngest daughter here for dinner close to 10 years ago. Living in Northern California we do not go to the city often. However, my oldest daughter was in town for a conference and requested we have Japanese food for dinner (she does not get the best Japanese food in North Carolina), I decided to take her to Hana Zen Yakitori and we were very pleased. Their desserts are excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great grilled itemsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/28/2014If I have to nit pick, the guy tan was a bit on the salty side. Though the flavor was good.Special Features:
- Not worth itViper11VIPDined on 9/26/2014Sushi was not fresh and didn't reflect pictures or previous ratings. Dinner was quite disappointing.
- Hana ZenPhilDined on 8/3/2014Visited the Sushi Bar. Wait staff was great and very attentive. Sushi was of good quality and excellently prepared.Special Features:
- Smelly placeMabrapoDined on 7/31/2014The bad smell of detergents was covering any food parfume. Food presented poorly and taste was awful. Paid almost $50 each for a really below average meal. Never again.
- The following 165 reviews are from the Hana Zen Yakitori & Sushi Bar reviews archive.
- Fishy toroIronJemVIPDined on 6/8/2014I ordered both toros and they were fishy and had terrible textures.
- C'mon. You can do betterDavidandPatDined on 4/12/2014For anyone familiar with sushi in the Bay Area, you know that there are some truly terrific places, where the fish tastes as though it was caught that day. Not this place. The sushi looked tired, as though it was days old. It tasted okay, but not even remotely up to Bay Area standards. And the pieces were significantly small, which may not be a bad thing when the fish isn't that good to begin with. You can most assuredly do better than this restaurant.
- Good foodBbcdineVIPDined on 3/12/2014Group was looking for Sushi in close proximity to hotel. It was good, however rating reflect the very small portions, especially the sashimi. Otherwise it he food was good.Special Features:
- great sushi, easy localeeesfDined on 2/16/2014the fish was really fresh and presented beautifully, the server was attentive and personable, and the prices are very reasonable!Special Features:
- food arrived randomlyangelaDined on 2/15/2014All my courses in my combo dinner arrived before any of the courses of my two companion diners. Waitress did not seem to think it was a problem "Oh sorry about that".
- Fresh and tastyOzdinerDined on 2/8/2014Great service and food!! Save some room for the meringue and ice cream desert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sake and good sushiDinnerDateVIPDined on 1/15/2014We had the tempura, soba noodle soup, garlic pork yakitori, crispy spicy tuna roll, and the lion king roll. All were really good. Tempura was perfectly fried, light and crispy. The garlic pork was very similar to pork belly. Both rolls were really good. They also have a good selection of sake. We asked for a recommendation and we were between 2 different kinds of sake. Our server recommended the lower priced one - really nice that she didn't just try to up sell us. Would definitely recommend this place and would go back.
- Great food and street viewwadeDined on 1/14/2014Had to pick a place to meet a group at the healthcare conference and wanted Sushi but with a good view near Union Square . Great find . I look forward to going next year . The prices were reasonable especially considering the prime location. Nice rolls and a good bar .Special Features:
- great food and great service,wonanVIPDined on 1/7/2014great food and great service, will definitely return!Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseeaterDined on 12/24/2013Needed a place to eat on Christmas Eve in San Francisco and came across this restaurant in Open Table. Reviews weren't stellar, but we were in the mood for sushi somewhere close to our hotel and not too expensive. We were very pleasantly surprised by the cozy ambience and nice views atop the busy city streets. Service was adequate and the food was really good and fresh. Even our 9 and 11 year olds finished everything on their plates which is a pretty good testament. Overall a good experience -- no complaints. We would happily recommend this place to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unassumingly awesomeoutandaboutVIPDined on 12/23/2013They take large party reservations! We had a huge sashimi combo, skewer (yakitori) combo, sake, and some rolls. All were delicious. Service was attentive, never overbearing. The place was fairly mellow and in a good central location downtown. Half a block from Johnny Foley's - a great after dinner stop for beverages. Go here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There are a lot of items oncarolVIPDined on 12/6/2013There are a lot of items on the menu so there are a lot to choose from. We went there around 7 p.m. but ran into some people who may have started their happy hours from 5 p.m. A couple of the person voices got pretty loud and carried. It ruined our dinner as we could not hear our own conversation. The food was okay. The yakitori (2 different orders) were forgotten and we waited 30 mins between dishes. Our assigned wait staff was too busy talking to his colleagues. Fortunately we got the attention from the other wait staff who was not even assigned to our table.
- Couldn't Have Felt Less WelcomeAprilGVIPDined on 12/2/2013I made a reservation for 4:15 after getting off a plane and wanting some sushi. I walked in 4 minutes early and was told that they shut down for dinner at 4:30 and I would need to order immediatley. I did so and my check came before my food and I was asked to sign immediately. The food was average and I felt extremely rushed through my 15 minute meal there. If they do not want customers at 4:15 pm they should not take reservations for that time.
- Quiet respite from shopping frenzyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/26/2013Located 2 blocks from the Powell BART station, this is a quiet and delicious place to take a break from downtown crowds. On a Tuesday night, the restaurant was quiet, the service attentive, and the food perfectly prepared. the Vegetarian dinner is especially recommended, with the caveat that it is a LOT of food!Special Features:
- Salmon was outstanding. TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/9/2013Salmon was outstanding. They had a party group that was very noisy, but moved us to a more quiet area.
- Very Good Sushikhub79Dined on 10/21/2013This is not an attractive restaurant. No real ambience, no fancy tables or fine art on the walls, just really good sushi. Service and speed were good and prices were reasonable. I will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meetup with Friends and ColleaguesrawdawgDined on 8/26/2013Had a group of 8 that met here for mostly sushi, made the reservation at OpenTable, they were able to seat us early. Service was good and so was the sushi. Sushi portions weren't as large as portions outside of the city but reasonable prices for downtown by convention area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2013Hana Zen has been one of my "goto" sushi bars in SF for a long time. Their sushi is wonderful and fresh and the atmosphere is nice. PLus it's close to Moscone and the nearby hotels. All in all, a solid performer!Special Features:
- Not what we expected.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2013Hana Zen was recommended to us by "foodie" friends who eat there on a regular basis. Our food was just OK, service was very good and very friendly; waiter helped sort out the menu. Might have been an off night in the kitchen - it was a Thursday. Will try again.
- So So just ain't enuff.LagatamachaDined on 4/5/2013Sushi choices were fresh as need be but selection was boring. Service was hurried and disinterested. Hostess was warm and welcoming. Probably wouldn't return. Next time will spend same sum of $$$ and dine at Anzu.Special Features:
- WeekDays Great, Skip the WeekendsGaryAVIPDined on 2/2/2013This is one of those places that the quality of food and service depend on the night you go. I recently dined here 2 nights in a 10 day period and the weekday evening the Yakitori and Sushi were excellent. However dining on a Sat Nite led to over cooked food and Sushi rolls that were falling apart. My recommendation is to go during the week and leave the weekends for the tourists.
- Very fast and friendly service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/2/2013Very fast and friendly service. Lots of options for tea. Sushi rolls were good, not great. Was a decent place for a quick lunch.
- Used to be much better andOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 1/9/2013Used to be much better and is gradually continuing downhill. Service has deteriorated -- appetizers came after main course. Reluctantly, would not return.
- Very poor service. 15 minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/8/2013Very poor service. 15 minutes to take order. Slow kitchen. Needed to be reminded twice to bring drinks. Terrible for a business lunch. B
- Pretty good, quality japaneseiheartsf415Dined on 12/24/2012Pretty good, quality japanese food, though not fancy or modern design inside. Real Japanese sushi chefs. Just a bit pricey, but not surprising since it's Union Square area. I would come here again.Special Features:
- Well the food was great ascasharitaDined on 12/16/2012Well the food was great as always..we enjoy the slightly different variety from most Japanese restaurants...the lamb chops appetizer and the martini scallops were excellent...a perfect location...always close to whateever hotel we are staying in around Union Square..the only cloud on the horizon was that (i admit i drank sake) and left my pretty scarf...i checked twice the next day but ...never to be seen again...alas!Special Features:
- Hyped up in Frommer's butSchadbogoVIPDined on 12/15/2012Hyped up in Frommer's but really nothing special. Beware--downtown location doesn't have the chicken meatballs, bummer
- Totally wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/25/2012I cannot believe this place is on top of reviews and list for opentable users.There must be a mistake...
- Very happy with Hana ZenCarlyVIPDined on 11/23/2012We enjoyed Hana Zen. It's in a good location, and large windows look over the street from the 2nd floor. We were seated immediately on a Saturday evening. We ordered a variety of dishes, and the food was great. It's a nice, yet casual spot with fantastic sushi. Try it!Special Features:
- The vegetarian special atMsRoxieVIPDined on 8/12/2012The vegetarian special at Hana Zen is the best bargain in the city. It's huge, beautifully done, and tastes even better than it looks. You might even forget you've eaten enough for three.
- Barely makes for a quick lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/6/2012Barely makes for a quick lunch. Nothing to talk about. Dissappointed that I invited someone to eat there.
- DissappointedTrsnVIPDined on 6/22/2012We are big sushi eaters and were quite disappointed with this restaurant. The service was terrible and the sushi itself was just average. Will not return.
- Didn't like the Yakitori butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2012Didn't like the Yakitori but sushi was good. The ambiance also didn't meet our expectations for a dinner...