Hana Zen Sushi Bar - Pier 39
Pier 39, Suite M.209 (Beach & Embarcadero)
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Hana Zen Sushi Bar - Pier 39
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hanazenrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4154218822
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00 am - 4:30 pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:30 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Hana Zen Sushi and Yakitori Bar at Pier 39 has an expansive bay view of Alcatraz and Golden Gate Bridge. We offer excellent sushi, sashimi, teriyaki, yakitori, premium sake, wine, liquor and cocktails.
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We bring our sushi chef to make the catering party more enjoyable.
- Private Party Facilities: Pirvate dining with the view of Alcatraz and Golden Gate Bridge.
- Private Party Contact: Angie Louie 4159714548
A word from Hana Zen Sushi Bar - Pier 39
Hana Zen Sushi and Yakitori Bar at Pier 39 has an expansive bay view of Alcatraz and Golden Gate Bridge. We offer excellent sushi, sashimi, teriyaki, yakitori, premium sake, wine, liquor and cocktails. The new Hana Zen at Pier 39 offers more seating capacity. We can cater for wedding, birthdays, anniversaries and other special events. We are proud to preserve the traditional Japanese cuisine. We use the highest quality of fish, vegetables and meat like Kobe beef and lamb.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hana Zen Sushi Bar - Pier 39 reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (7)special occasion (5)romantic (4)great for lunch (3)good for groups (3)fit for foodies (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (2)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Poor servicegellisDined on 9/11/2014We arrived to no host or hostess to seat us. Waitstaff passed us by as well as the bartender at the door doing nothing for us. Eventually as we were about to leave someone came and sat us at a table. We did not get to try the food. I had to rate the food so I gave it one star even though we did not get a chance to try it. We sat at our table for 10 minutes with no waiter or waitress serving us. There was a very bad smell in the restaurant that turned us off enough to get up and leave. The restaurant was half empty so there really was no excuse. We will not return.
- Sushi Bar extrodanare (sp?)Twitwit165Dined on 8/30/2014the best and freshest Sushi we have ever had; and this was on a labor day holiday. Also you can't beat the view at the end of Pier 39, San Francisco!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Great sushi and rolls. Great view. My family and I loved it.Special Features:
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014Terrible service. Waitress messed up our order several times. Took forever to get foodSpecial Features:
- Sunset viewFlyerfanrnDined on 6/23/2014The food was amazing and what a view of the sunset!! Would definitely recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 87 reviews are from the Hana Zen Sushi Bar - Pier 39 reviews archive.
- Ronrandall@sbcglobal.netRonboDined on 5/24/2014We took a group of 12 to Hana Zen to celebrate our daughters graduation from SFSU. Getting a reservation in San Francisco on Memorial Day weekend was proving to be somewhat problematic. We decided to download Open Table to see if it would be helpful. We put in our requirements, and Hana Zen was willing to take our group. We had a terrific time. The food was really good and also a great value. I was expecting to pay around $50 per person at a Pier 39 restaurant, and was very pleasantly surprised that we were able to get out of there for around $25. The service was excellent as well. I'd highly recommend this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice View, Terrible ServiceSFTouristDined on 5/11/2014We went with a group of six for an early dinner. The hostess who seated us was helpful, but the rest of the staff did their best to avoid eye contact - and the burden of serving us. Part of our order came out in a reasonable amount of time, but the rest of our order was forgotten. The food was mediocre - more like fast food sushi than I would have expected. The ingredients were fresh. We figured that they are catering to tourists and therefore are not worried about keeping people coming back.Special Features:
- Mediocre sushi with a nice view.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/22/2014The best thing about this restaurant is the view. But if you're a sushi enthusiast, go somewhere else. I've never seen such a tiny piece of fish (Hamachi) on my 2 piece Nigiri. At first I thought someone took a bite out of it. It looked like a child's portion. It was so small and paper thin. I also ordered spicy tuna rolls which wasn't anything to rave about -- too much rice to disguise the small portion wrapped inside. I think they're hoping you'll be so busy looking out the window at the view of tourists and ferries to Alcatraz, that you won't notice the food. I will not be going back here again.
- Wonderful placeSandyDined on 3/22/2014The quality of their sushi is #1. We love uni with quail egg and are careful where we order it. Hana Zen chefs prepare it perfectly. Overall, a wonderful restaurant addition to Pier 39! Also one of the best views around. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view & yummy sushiOliviaDined on 3/8/2014Great spot for our 1st dinner in San Francisco! Hana Zen is located in the very touristy Pier 39 area, however being on an upper level, it's a bit above the craziness. We had a good time casually strolling through Pier 39 and then going upstairs for dinner. We enjoyed several of the sushi rolls. The Hana Zen Roll & Dragon Roll were among our favorites. The service was great and Hana Zen was able to accommodate my request to be seated by a window with a good view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/19/2014We selected Hanazen because we like sushi and yakitori. The opentable menu says they have yakitori. The restaurant sign says sushi and yakitori. The cover of the menu says sushi and yakitori. But, they don't serve yakitori. They claim they serve it at their downtown location. They also add a tax for Healthy SF to the bill and explain it is a local tax. This was the first restaurant we visited in SF and didn't know better so we paid. However, no other restaurants we visited had this charge. This restaurant is a tourist rip off. Avoid.
- Delicious and not crowdedSFfoodiegalDined on 1/18/2014The food is great here, albeit a bit expensive for Japanese because of the location (at the end of Pier 39 with a water view). I like that the decor is modern, it isn't packed, you can sit by the window facing the ocean, service is great, I can always get a table, and the food is fantastic. I think their rolls are better than most other places and I like how they don't use a ton of rice around the roll. Drinks are hit or miss, however. I ordered two cocktails (lemon drop and lychee rendezvous) that both tasted like water, but the server was kind enough to not charge me for either since I sent both back. I've been here twice and would definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view with sushiCharScottVIPDined on 1/16/2014Service very good, Sushi is good, Sake menu is good as well - Kurosawa Sake affordable. View spectacular. In the heart of the touristy area of Fisherman's wharf. we were lucky this seems to be off season, so it was not crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a Tourist TrapEmmaskyeVIPDined on 1/4/2014I usually enjoy Hana Zen's other location, but because I was staying closer to Pier 39 this time, I ate at this location. The food was still delicious. Getting through the throngs of tourists to get to the restaurant was the only drawback. The fish was fresh and my standby rolls never disappoint. If given a choice, I'd stick with the more authentic location in SF and avoid the Pier crowds.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh fish and tasty sushi!jmhetzel1VIPDined on 12/25/2013I frequent Hana Zen and I'm never disappointed. The food is always great - fresh fish and tasty sushi! The view at Pier 39 is also one of the best in town. Perfect for a romantic evening with your significant other, or a day outing with family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry to SayYoajtDined on 11/13/2013I would have given Hana Zen Sushi Bar all 5 stars. However when we left we we're gone not even 5 min. My friend ran back because i left my very expensive hat at the table. She went to the Manager/Owner to please go look for it and she wouldn't move from decorating the Christmas tree. She wouldn't go ask her staff to look for it she basically told my friend they didn't have it. So i went back in there with my phone in hand saying well i have pics from our dinner with my hat on and all of a sudden they found the hat. To me that was a lack of trust and put a bad taste in my mouth.
- Amazing view with great foodkjm77Dined on 10/12/2013Was beyond happy with our experience, the food was wonderful and you can not beat the view! Although our party tried several sushi rolls (all good), I suggest trying a meal you cook on a hot lava stone at your table (yummy & unique)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceEmjayDined on 10/5/2013My husband and I spent a Saturday on the pier and ended our night at this restaurant. I loved the sushi. We ordered drinks that were mediocre in taste but overall experience was great. We had a view of the bay bridge and watched the fireworks for the pier 39 anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place591wetaDined on 9/28/2013Delicious food, friendly waiters, and reasonably priced. Our window table commanded a stunning view of two bridges, Marin and Angel Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Sushi! Will definitelyColoradokidDined on 9/21/2013Outstanding Sushi! Will definitely come back! Wonderful overall dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi, good service andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/12/2013Good sushi, good service and fantastic views. We had a great view of the America's Cup racing.Special Features:
- Birthday Celebration!luv2dineDined on 8/24/2013We celebrated our daughter's 18th birthday at Hana Zen Sushi Bar on a Saturday evening. The sushi was prepared very well and the presentation was lovely. The chicken teriyaki was delicious and they gave large portions. Our server, Ling, was very friendly, and helpful with answering questions on the menu. Thank you providing a wonderful experience for our daughter's birthday celebration. We highly recommend Hana Zen Sushi Bar to everyone! Thank you again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced underwhelmedTomC100Dined on 7/27/2013Much better sushi in town. The place smells since they have lava grills on almost every table. The food is at best mediocre and it is way overpriced. If you are looking for a fun, great tasting food experience, this is not it.Special Features:
- DisappointmentluvsushiDined on 7/19/2013I should have taken a look at the menu before booking the reservation. It's not a place for sushi enthusiast. The sushi menu is meant for first timers or those with a not so open minded. We went in expecting better selection since it's in the bay area and we left disappointed. It made us appreciate our little sushi hole in the central valley even more. The prices were also WAY to high. I get better Blue Fin Tuna at a better price in our little place.Special Features:
- don't waste yourfoodie808VIPDined on 7/5/2013The view is great, the staff are friendly, but the food is subpar. The miso soup was decent, but not homemade. The salad was dressed with an odd vinaigrette that was similar to what you'd find in an italian restaurant, but this is supposed to be Japanese food. The food was worse than mediocre and the best view, staff, or atmosphere couldn't make this place worth it, and don't let my words mislead you, there are better views, wait help, and atmosphere to be had in SF.Special Features:
- View was beautiful. Food wasExcellentVIPDined on 6/22/2013View was beautiful. Food was so so. Place was not very busy. Waiter was a little overwhelming. Wanted to cut my chicken on the hot ston. If the chicken needed to be cut, that should have been done in the kitchen. He also wanted to put a sauce over it! Bizarre!Special Features:
- You cannot find a better viewSushiLoverDined on 5/31/2013You cannot find a better view of the Bay than at Hana Zen - AMAZING!! The waitstaff were very friendly and prompt, and the sushi was fantastic! My boyfriend and I went there to try it out as a place to take my sisters when they come and visit San Francisco later this month, and we will most definitely be taking them to Hana Zen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view was very nice, butOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/4/2013The view was very nice, but the food and service was lacking. Might go back for a drink to enjoy view , but that's about it.Special Features:
- Not all items from the menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/9/2013Not all items from the menu were available but both sashimi and rolls were excellent. Not good enough to rate a spot on my 'best ever!' list but the breathtaking view makes up for any minor frustrations.Special Features:
- I am going there for overOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2013I am going there for over a year now. I loved it in the beginning! The Sushi is still pretty good and for the quality and the location itself the prices are fair. But since a few month the service got a bit bad. They are still friendly, but sometimes I wonder if they go and sleep for 30min in between. Last time we had to wait for over 40min to get some water (after I already walked up to the cashier and the waiter itself)... So I can recommend it, because the drinks and Sushi are fine and the view is just unbeatable... but don't expect too much ;0)Special Features:
- OK, it's Pier 39, touristThehexterVIPDined on 2/22/2013OK, it's Pier 39, tourist haven, however, the food was very good, service excellent and the views great. A little pricy but you do get a fair portion. Looking forward to trying their other location near Union Square some day.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/17/2013Great atmosphere and outstanding kids menu that was priced appropriately. Good service too!Special Features:
- Maitre D was accomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/17/2013Maitre D was accomodating to me and my baby but my waitress was repulsed at the fact that I had a child. She wasn't accomodating and I did not have a welcoming experience. Only plus was the view.
- Had a wonderful evening. ExcellenttrkhobVIPDined on 2/14/2013Had a wonderful evening. Excellent service. We Had the sizzling shrimp and the sizzling scallops served cooking on an extremely hot brick. Food was delicious!Special Features:
- As a SF native and havingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/26/2012As a SF native and having read the reviews, I should have known better. The restaurant and decor was very nice, however, don't come here for the food. The rice for the sushi was hard like it was leftover from the night before. There were more menu selections for alcoholic beverages than there was for the food. I figured I'd give this place a chance since my friends loved the food from their other location on Cyril Magnin St. Maybe I should've stuck with that location. The prices were a little high, but that's expected for the location. It's a shame the food didn't live up to the ambiance. I'm giving it two stars just for the decor.Special Features:
- pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/25/2012We had a great experience dining at Hana Zen on Christmas Day. The food was excellent- we ordered both sushi and other traditional Japanese dishes and enjoyed everything. As a former ex-pat in Japan, I am often disappointed by Japanese restaurants but not at Hana Zen. The food was great and the prices reasonable. I wasn't sure what to expect with a restaurant in such a touristy area but was pleasantly surprised. The view was pretty nice, even with the rain. The only negative part of the experience for us was getting to the restaurant walking through the rain. We were wet and cold when we arrived but the food was worth it and the miso soup and tea warmed us uSpecial Features:
- It was great. And very emptyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012It was great. And very empty when we went. The pier is very slippery in the rain. But the food was outstanding and the sake was great. Our waitress was very attentive but not too much so. I had a good time.Special Features:
- Great scenic views of the SF BayOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 11/22/2012Fantastic views of the bay, Alcatraz and the passing ferry boats. Food is decent, but a tad expensive. The sushi, yakitori, and dinner menus are pricier than better Japanese restaurants elsewhere. The best deal are the bento boxes and lunch specials for around $15 (available until 4:30pm). No complaints, since most restaurants in this area have similar high prices, considering it's a tourist spot. The salmon teriyaki was fresh and moist. Some of the rice on the California roll didn't hold together, probably made by a novice. Apparently the place doesn't get many customers, so it takes a while before a waiter shows up. Service was friendly.Special Features:
- Terrible Restaurant, ownerCoachVIPDined on 9/30/2012Food was lousy and for 2nd time, they did NOT WANT TO HONOR $ 50 certificate I had which was signed by the manager!
- What an awesome view! We wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2012What an awesome view! We were there at sunset and it was perfect. The food is a little pricey, certainly not outrageous but this certainly wouldn't be a weekly stop in my budget. They have happy hour drink prices until 7 which is a plus!Special Features: