Han Dynasty University City
3711 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
Han Dynasty University City
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.handynasty.net/
- Phone: 2152223711
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily:11:30am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Sun-Thurs: 3:00pm - 10:00pm + Fri & Sat 3:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Executive Chef: Han Chiang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering menu available! Please call us for details!
- Cross Street: 38th & Market St
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private parking lot located on Filbert St. (behind the restaurant and Science Center building). Please refer to web site (www.handynasty.net) and click on the University City tab for a map showing the entrance. Please press the button for a white parkway ticket upon entering, DO NOT INSERT YOUR CREDIT CARD or parking can not be validated by Han Dynasty.
Garage hours (parking validated up to 3 hours):
Monday-Friday After: 4pm
Saturday & Sunday: All Day
A word from Han Dynasty University City
Han Dynasty is an authentic Sichuan Chinese Restaurant located in Philadelphia's University City neighborhood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Han Dynasty University City reviews from OpenTable diners
1 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
great for brunch (1)fit for foodies (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- FANTASTICChemFoodieDined on 5/31/2014Love this place. It is one of my favorite Chinese restaurants in the city! The food is great, the drinks are so delicious, the service is really good, and it is affordable. We always order two drinks, one appetizer and one entree and that is usually sufficient for the two of us. I would eat there everyday if I could.Special Features:
- Disappointing vegetarian optionsDri456Dined on 5/23/2014I was the only vegetarian in our party. I had spicy cucumber, dan dan noodles without minced pork and ordered pressed tofu in garlic bean sauce. Tofu was very chewy, the dish was dry with no gravy and there was only tofu without any oyher vegetables. The other members liked their chicken options. Despite being rated highly i will not visit this chain again. Very disappointed with vegetarian options.
- My new favorite restaurant!elachVIPDined on 5/12/2014I love Chinese food, so I had been wanting to try Han Dynasty for some time and it did not disappoint! The double cooked chicken and the dry fry beef are the best. A great spot for sharing food with friends!Special Features:
- Great Food & ServicecookiemonsterDined on 5/10/2014My girlfriend and I went to Han Dynasty for a late dinner and it was great as always. The Dan-Dan noodles were an awesome starter and I really liked the black bean beef. We went pretty late, around 9pm, and it was the perfect atmosphere - not too loud or crowded, and our food came very quickly.Special Features:
- SanchoPanzaJrVIPDined on 4/29/2014Dan Dan Noodles. i could eat a whole bowl by myself.Special Features:
- Hen Hao Chi!henhaochiDined on 4/13/2014I went with 3 foreign friends, two were from China. We shared 5 or 6 different dishes and everyone was very pleased. Nice atmosphere, friendly helpful staff - there was nothing not to like! Tai hao le!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWSERS Chinese - Just eat here.YummlyDined on 4/11/2014This may be best Chinese I have had in….my lifetime. It was fantastic. I read reviews online and it exceeded expectations in every way. I went quite early for dinner because I was joined by friends with kids (who are silly well-behaved and foodies in the making) - and staff were incredible welcoming and accommodating. I wish I had brought more people because once you have a party of 8, you can have the tasting menu. Next time I will invite strangers to sit with me. Not to miss: spicy cucumber pickles, dan dan noodles (no really), pea leaves, double cooked style pork belly, garlic eggplant. If I had to make any suggestions for resto: use jumbo sized shrimp for salt-n-pepper shrimp, and more options for desserts would be grand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummySFtransplantDined on 4/10/2014This is a delicious chinese restaurant. The food is spicy but the waiter helped my 3 kids, ages 7 & 5, find food they loved that was not spicy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hantastic!GluttonyDined on 3/31/2014Awesome as always......miss Han in person though!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a night!jsquaredDined on 3/30/2014Compared to the old city location this location is more customer service geared. The only thing I did not like is that the Dan Dan noodles tasted like they had peanut butter in them...the other location made theirs more like a lo mein soup. But all in all, wonderful exPerience!!!!Special Features:
- I wish I had gotten my ownSanchoPanzaJrVIPDined on 3/25/2014I wish I had gotten my own order of the fantastic Dan Dan noodles instead of sharing one! Pork belly with peppers also excellent. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicemathgalDined on 3/20/2014I always think that the sign of a great Chinese restaurant is when it is full of Asian people and this place is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousKristinelauren987Dined on 3/17/2014I love coming here. This is the second Birthday I've celebrated at Han Dynasty and it's always amazing.Special Features:
- Dan Dan Noodles were excellent.DeDe2Dined on 3/15/2014Dan Dan Noodles were excellent. The braised duck, however, was quite dry and disappointing.Special Features:
- Perfect lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/10/2014Make a reservation at lunch to make sure you don't have to fight off the rush. Great combo: Dan dan noodles, spicy cucumbers, and dry-pepper style fish. Amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysChrisDined on 3/6/2014The superlatives for Han Dynasty can't be understated. The food is tremendous, the atmosphere inviting, the service excellent. It's in true Chinese restaurant fashion, so if you don't specific you'll get all of your food at once, so be advised. Also be advised that this seems to be the only place in the entire Delaware Valley to find Szechuan peppers that taste like Szechuan peppers.
- Han DynastyTom8675Dined on 3/6/2014They have a decent beer and wine selection at the bar. The food was pretty good as well as the wait staff.Special Features:
- FantasticstuffofepicsVIPDined on 2/24/2014Han Dynasty is brilliant - food full of taste. I savour every mouthful. This isn't a place for delicate palates and people who enjoy balance and subtlety; this is a place for full-on flavour. I find the value to be unbeatable, also, if you're frugal-minded. Seriously, Han Dynasty's menu is pure indulgence. Try as much as you can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unlike it's Royersford location,jzucheroVIPDined on 2/17/2014Unlike it's Royersford location, the University City location has stayed great. Interesting menu and great execution.Special Features:
- Very disappointedDisappointedDined on 2/11/2014I had heard good things about this place so I took my wife there for Valentine's Day. When we arrived, the hostess took us to a small table for two that was in the middle of the floor. I looked around and saw that there were plenty of tables open and a nicer table for four by the window. I asked our hostess if it was ok if we sat at the table for four by the window. She said that it was "policy" that we had to sit at a table for two even though there were at least 10 other tables open and this was at 7:00. The kicker is that not 20 minutes later, they sat a couple at that same table for four! That just infuriated me for the rest of the evening. The waiter did a great job and was helpful. The food was ok but definitely not worth coming back.
- hot and spicy and yummyDavidVIPDined on 2/6/2014I love spicy food and this place offers great variety of such dishes (in addition to not spicy items). All items are ranked from 1 to o10 according to their spiciness, which can be adjusted. Unlike in the ER charts, here 4 IS spicy; choose 10 at your own risk...Special Features:
- A-MAZINGKristinelauren987Dined on 2/6/2014I will absolutely be coming back and bringing family and friends. The food is FANTASTIC, the staff is so friendly and accommodating. My friend was traveling over an hour to celebrate her birthday with me and ended up being 2 hours late to our reservation. The staff didn't even blink when I asked if we could push it back to 7:30 and even helped my friend with directions to get there. It was an amazing experience and I will be back for sure...very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glad we went, but...JesseMLDined on 2/3/2014The service was great, very knowledgeable. The ingredients appeared fresh, but everything was covered with so much grease, it was hard to tell what anything tasted like. Overall we enjoyed the experience, but will not return for food. Maybe for a happy hour drink.Special Features:
- Re: Great DinnerArt101Dined on 1/31/2014We had dinner on a busy Friday night. It was the first night of the Chinese New Year. The restaurant was very accommodating when I had to expand my reservation from four to six people. They gave us time to drink and order and eat even though they were very busy. Service was speedy and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improve your service; food's great!InnaVIPDined on 1/28/2014The food is consistently great; service level varies - at times, we wait for 1/2 hour for food when others who came later have been served. Yesterday was such a case. This has happened on too many occasions not to notice.Special Features:
- Don't Get all the hype at all!!!!!DyDuoVIPDined on 1/15/2014Our food critic, CLB, gave Han D 3 bells last year so we were excited to go. There is nothing special about food done this way. 8 men throw ingredients into a wok, throw in a sauce and randomly deliver the dish to a table. This kind of cooking does not require ANY kind of finesse, and to give it 3 bells is just unwarranted. Our food critic takes the "hip" factor into acct as much as the food, and that makes for a unfair review. The dumplings were so thick they dominated both the fried and steamed ones, making them pasty and tasteless. The crispy rice chicken lacked variety in ingredients. The #7 "scallop" dish had fish that tasted like an extrusion of fake fish, again with limited ingredients. Overrated, this was a disappointment.
- Great dining in University CityCharlieDined on 1/14/2014Food was excellent, service is fantastic, people are so freindly. I will go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great meal. The portionsbruceavalonDined on 1/10/2014A great meal. The portions are large and we ordered too much but managed to finish it. A great variety of food and a good draft beer selection, excellent service. The "heat level" rating system really works well, I can't imagine how hot a 10 is but a 5 is nicely hot without being painful. Very reasonable prices and free parking! I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- A little disappointed this time outjerseygirl70Dined on 1/9/2014Our Dan Dan noodle appetizer came out luke warm - since we were on our lunch hour, we didn't have time to send it back. Was still tasty, but would have been better if served hot. Our waiter was just OK - love it there, though, and will be backSpecial Features:
- excellent chinese foodjarjarDined on 1/3/2014i have eaten at the han dynasty restaurant in university city several times, and i enjoy it more each time i go. this time we had the dan dan noodles which were a big hit, westlake soup (a beef broth base enlivened with cilantro) which was great, ginger duck which was outstanding, and a pork belly dish that was really the best use of bacon i have ever seen. service was prompt and courteous. the 5$ mixed drinks are a big draw as well. i will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/12/2013This was our 3rd visit here and it has become my favorite restaurant. Totally unique Chinese food and dining experience. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your typical Asian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/5/2013The menu has a lot to offer. The Dan Dan Noodles were delicious. I don't like typically eggplant, but the eggplant appetizer dish we ordered was VERY tasty. Almost all the entrees come with a choice of chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, or tofu. We ordered four entrees for the entire group. The portions are served family style but they are not huge, just large enough to share. The quantity was just enough for our group. The restaurant is known for the spice level of its food. The spice level is selectable on most dishes, from 1 to 10, 10 being the highest. I like moderately spicy food. The highest level we ordered was 7. I didn't find it overpowering, but it built up to a slow burn as I continued to eat. I will definitely return!Special Features:
- A surprisingly authentic SichuanKCooperVIPDined on 12/3/2013A surprisingly authentic Sichuan restaurant with hot and numb dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good. We enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/13/2013Food was good. We enjoyed the experience. As this location was in university city, the group was young and energetic. The room was a little louder than I typically enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an incredible meal!!!!RNS1Dined on 11/13/2013The food was just amazing. The spicing of the food, it was so great. You can ask for things mild to very hot, you can adjust to your taste. I am planning my next meal there. Do not forget to order the cucumbers in spicy sauce, OMG!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was so extremely disappointedfoodbearVIPDined on 11/7/2013I was so extremely disappointed tonight. the food was great, the service was great, BUT my family ordered several dishes that we were not all that hungry to eat so asked everything be packaged up to take home and when we were given a bag of containers, we didn't question what was inside of them and then we came home only to find that half of our food was missing and the containers we did have were RICE. We basically paid for a meal we didn't eat only to have it taken to the kitchen to be left behind or thrown out and we were left with rice to take home instead of our main entrees. for this reason, i give the restaurant a poor rating.
- Consistently good food, goodInnaVIPDined on 11/7/2013Consistently good food, good service - no complaints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- University City Gemjerseygirl70Dined on 11/5/2013Excellent food at a good price. Nice to have a lunch alternative in the area of 38th and Market, and right on Market St.Special Features:
- Good experienceRadlax39Dined on 10/26/2013Different vibe than the Olde City location (haven't been to Olde City since they moved across the street). Very brightly lit. Quality meal. Only negative is that it's location isn't the best. Everything is happening on Walnut Street. Market is dead at night. Only university office buildings in the immediate vicinity. Overall, still a good experience.Special Features:
- authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2013When my fiance gets a craving for authentic Chinese food, this is where we go (even though it's a bit of a drive for us). And she's Chinese, do that says something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.