Han Dynasty Olde City
123 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
Han Dynasty Olde City
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://handynasty.net/
- Phone: 2159221888
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily:11:30am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Daily: 3:01pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Executive Chef: Han Chiang
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please note that reservations for the first Monday tasting must be made over the phone. Open table reservations will not be honored.
A word from Han Dynasty Olde City
Han Dynasty is a Szechuan Chinese Restaurant located in Philadelphia's Old City neighborhood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Han Dynasty Olde City reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (61)fit for foodies (60)neighborhood gem (37)hot spot (34)special occasion (33)great for lunch (23)vibrant bar scene (19)romantic (15)kid-friendly (15)late-night find (10)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Fun place, great mealveganmomDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant was kid-friendly, with a menu that worked for kids, adults, and a vegan. Service was friendly and attentive. We really enjoyed our evening, and were glad we picked this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AIPIntDined on 8/17/2014excellent choice and quality of food, interesting flavors and large portions - great atmosphere, service and value - would recommend and would go again - works for small and large groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Love Han Dynasty - spice with flavor, not just for spice's sake. Really appreciate that they have Vegetarian options. Great place for Vegetarians and Carnivores to dine together.Special Features:
- delicious, easy access, we enjoyed!SavtasueDined on 8/12/2014great food, able to please a range of palates, good service. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatDinnerfortwoDined on 8/9/2014Fast and friendly service. The food was delicious and came out quick . The place is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hmmBelleVIPDined on 8/8/2014Food was ok. Levels of 'hot' were not consistent amongst dishes (my 3 tasted like my friend 6). Being seated was fine. Water/tea/meals were slow coming to the table. Clean up/bringing the check/service at the end of the meal was poor.
- Han Beat ExpectationsSarckVIPDined on 8/6/2014Since it moved to a bigger location, Han Dynasty feels different, looks different, and tastes different. I was a regular and dropped off since the move. My friend wanted to go so we did and the food is better than I remember. She was slightly disappointed at the gluten-free menu (a whole menu, but only offers two entrees) but not once we got our food--the cumin lamb was fantastic. My wontons in hot pepper sauce tasted like burning--no discernible flavor other than heat. Her cucumbers were delightful. All for $20 a piece. I'll def go back for the lamb alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved their food...steffpuff2014Dined on 8/3/2014We dined at Han Dynasty on Chestnut St in Philly olde city. This place is beautiful, like Art Deco. Our server was well trained. This was 1st time we went here,thankfully the server recommended several dishes including Dan Dan Noodles (spaghetti with a spicy sauce-delicious) and crispy cucumbers with a sauce, I loved them but my partner, Mike, preferred the noodles. We settled on two main entrees, fish (flounder) with bean sauce and lamb with garlic sauce. Mike loved the flounder but I loved the lamb with garlic sauce, better. Be careful of the "hotness", "6" was hot enough with us. We ordered too much food. I think one appetizer and two entrees will be enough food for regular eaters. If you're big eaters, the sky is the limit. Enjoy!Special Features:
- its okLiliaVIPDined on 8/2/2014The service was not very good, seemed like the restaurant was understaffed. We had to wait a while to be seated, despite having reservations and plenty of empty tables. Then I had to go and ask for menus while we watched other people, who were seated after us being served before us. Overall service was unorganized. The food was better than average Chinese food, but certainly not worth the money, particularly for the amount of food we received. I had very high expectations since I heard really great things about this place, which were not met.
- ExcellentVanessaLDined on 8/1/2014This is so far removed from the "typical" Chinese dining experience, it is hard to describe. The menu is varied and authentic. You can order your dishes with heat ranging from 0-10. This place is very open, in what used to the site of an old bank. The ceilings are very high and ornate. That said, the noise level is not conducive to quiet or romantic conversation as it is extremely loud and you will struggle to hear your companion across the table. Service is outstanding, attentive without being intrusive. The waiter did an excellent job of recommending heat levels and appetizers. Overall, an exceptional experience!Special Features:
- So soJMR902Dined on 7/31/2014Once seated, it took a waiter 15 minutes before taking our drink orders. Since we had 15 minutes, we were ready to order upon giving our wine order. We ordered the wine carafe for 2 at $38 a bottle. Waiter gave us recommendations which were very helpful. He brought back our wine, and both our glasses were filled to the rim with ice, few pieces of fruit on bottom and our wine carafe will filled to the rim with ice cubes, which made it very hard to pour and wine spilled---bad idea, ice on side please! Once the waiter took our order appetizers were out within 5 minutes and our dinner was not served for another 1/2 hour even though waiter kept promising it was coming; I think someone else got our order. Food was delicious though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heat was offClaudiaVIPDined on 7/31/2014We went to Han on a Thursday to celebrate our anniversary. We ordered the dan dan and the cold sesame noodles, both were delicious. Then we got the hit sauce style beef which was supposed to be a 6 or 7 heat but was completely mild. Additionally, as usual, our server disappeared during the meal and we were left without water for 10 minutes (not good with the dan dan!!) and that's the 3rd time that has happened to us there...very strange. Food all tasted good though, cold sesame noodles are my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tupotupoDined on 7/25/2014Really good spicy food, plenty of selections for vegetarians, and reasonably priced!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot, hot, hot!!ImpressiveVIPDined on 7/23/2014The food is incredible... Very spicy and unique dishes, but all are extremely tasty! One of my all time favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great exceptPhillymikeDined on 7/22/2014All of the food was great except for the chicken with crispy rice. It was probably sitting too long, so the rice was anything but crispy, should have been called mushy rice, and to serve it they just have us a regular dinner fork. Very odd. I don't think that there is the attention to detail that characterized the smaller original version that was across the street. I still liked the meal overall, but was slightly disappointed. The service was sort of spotty as well, which made it difficult to complain about this dish without slowing down the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicy and FlavorfulphillytrixieDined on 7/20/2014Han Dynasty has a limited menu, but that menu can be adjusted to suit your needs. They rank their "spice" level, so you can order almost anything at almost any spice level. The spice isn't for shock factor either - it's all flavor. Delicious, flavorful, foodie-friendly and just overall awesome. PS - they do take - out and deliver, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HotWalterDined on 7/11/2014The food had a great taste. It wasn't spicy for spicy's sake. Be prepared, some items with a 6 felt hotter than those with an 8. All the low number items were accurately depicted. So you can feel comfortable if you want something on the cooler side.Special Features:
- Great ambienceNew2foodDined on 7/9/2014Arrived before appointed time. Was seated right away. Server was polite and courteous. The food arrived quite fast. Was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceBern4Dined on 7/7/2014Our waiter Patrick was awesome. He was patient and informative. This was not our first time there but it was for our friends, and they enjoyed the entire experience. The dan dan noodles are our go to and the dry pot is always a hit. Everything was delicious, hot and service was quick.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/6/2014Some of the food had sugar added, which was not needed. Fiery as promised otherwise, with some excellent flavor as well. Make sure you get the veggies as a cooling counterpoint. Lovely space as well.Special Features:
- Good enoughKatinaDined on 7/5/2014Overall, it was a good experience. It's a little noisy and our actual server never showed up. Another server who noticed that we were waiting for a while took over our table and saved the evening. The food was amazing so I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time on the 4thMJC10VIPDined on 7/4/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our time ... Food was great and the service was terrific ..Special Features:
- Spicy and ExcellentNormluvsgreatstuffDined on 7/2/2014All dishes are rated 1 to 10 to indicate the degree of spiciness, with 10 being the spiciest. Truly excellent dining.Special Features:
- Love Love Love!KeishaKDined on 6/27/2014The Dan Dan noodles were Amazing and the service was fast. Our food came out in 5 minutes. I will be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodbrittDined on 6/25/2014The spicy cucumbers and DanDan Noodles are hands down the best things on the menuSpecial Features:
- CareMcDDined on 6/24/2014Delicious food and very helpful/friendly staff - would recommend for large groups to try the amazing tasting menu!!Special Features:
- Good foodRickJBDined on 6/21/2014This Chinese restaurant has a slightly unique method to ordering. But their implementation of what they have is good but not perfect. Food can come sl undercooked. Flounder soup is fantastic though. And some of the food is super spicy. A good place though and overall worth a trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best chinese food aroundender5Dined on 6/20/2014The Han Dynasty chain of restaurants serves by far the best chinese food I've ever had. I frequent the one in Exton, PA weekly so it was a treat to visit one of the other locations. The food was just as good, and they have a bar (unlike the Exton location). Beautiful restaurant. I recommend the Dry Pepper Chicken and Twice Cooked Pork Belly!Special Features:
- AUTHENTICITYOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014Best Chinese food in Philly. I love the ambiance of the new location. Han Dynasty is such a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!WidetastebudsDined on 6/13/2014Made a reservation then realized we didn't need a reservation because it was abut slow. Got seated immediately and waiter served us. Food was great! I would def recommend for people going out to eat in groupsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite restaurantsMisstolin973Dined on 6/7/2014I love Han Dynasty's new location. The food is always a great experience here. And the service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whats the rush?ChalievalDined on 5/30/2014The food is fantastic although the menu can be a bit confusing. In regards to the entrées you really don't know what's coming out until it does but it's all good. The service is terrible. I've been here several times but the latest was the worst. Basically everything came out the same time and it was obvious they were just rushing you out trying to turn over as many tables as possible. It made it unpleasant enough that I don't know that in would go back to the old city location. Maybe I'll try one of then others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don gordleoneOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/26/2014best dan dan noodles in the country hands down all the other stuff is great too, get the cucumbers and scallion style shrimpSpecial Features:
- Second TimeoldcityfoodieDined on 5/26/2014Our first time dining there, the food was yummy and left us saying, we'd come back! Second time...food was bland. It had heat but not tasty. The fried dumplings were mostly dough :(
- Great food and serviceAndyDined on 5/24/2014If you like Sichuan cuisine, this is the place for you. The food was great and so was the service.
- "cash tips appreciated"?!?!?ilikefoodDined on 5/16/2014Our waiter told us that we could only split it among 3 cards. Fine. Then he said that a cash tip would be appreciated because otherwise he won't get the money for 2 weeks. So completely classless. Food was good, but there's other good Chinese food in this city, and I was embarrassed to have brought my family there.Special Features:
- great food!foodie1Dined on 5/11/2014Had a great time and really enjoyed the food. It's was actually spicey as well which was nice. My friend and I got two entrées to share and we had so much food left over. I just wished they gave us more rice to go when they boxed our leftovers up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hot!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/9/2014Great noodles and twice fried fish but the schezuan seasoning overwhelmed the food . Our fault we could have toned everything downSpecial Features:
- The following 278 reviews are from the Han Dynasty Olde City reviews archive.
- Dan Dan NewbyFoodCritic007VIPDined on 4/27/20144 of us dined at the Olde City location, only 1 in our group had eaten here before and was our guide for the night. We enjoyed every single morsel of our dishes even the hot Dan Dan noodles, tasty Salt & Pepper Shrimp to name a few. My only complaint would be that the food comes out too quickly, not enough pacing, and it was hard to find space on our table. There are many other dishes I'd like to try and we will definitely return to 1 of the locations.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2014Server was very insistent to get our order in and we felt rushed. Be aware that when you do order, they will bring it all out at once- in about 5 minutes! Even those at the tables near us were commenting on it. Know that the cold rabbit appetizer is chopped rabbit meat with the bones still in it- very difficult to eat. They had an decent beer selection.