Hampton Street Vineyard
1201 Hampton Street
Columbia, SC 29201Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Hampton Street Vineyard
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hamptonstreetvineyard.com/
- Phone: 8032520850
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Murphy
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Hampton Street Vineyard is available for private parties up to seventy people depending on your requirements. Through the years we have hosted many Wedding rehearsal dinners, corporate functions, sales meetings, and the National Trial Lawyers Association monthly dinners. We"ll rent you the whole place. Just let us know and we'll close our doors to the rest of the world for your special function. We also have the "Wine Room" available for smaller groups, this room will accommodate up to ten people and is available at no extra charge. It's a great place for you and your friends to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries or conduct small business and sales meetings. Please make reservations for this room as soon as possible because of the high demand.
- Private Party Contact: Leigh Talmadge 8032520850
A word from Hampton Street Vineyard
For fine dining in Columbia, SC, be sure to visit Hampton Street Vineyard. Our philosophy of food and wine is simple and straightforward. We use local products when possible, classic techniques at all times and make ourselves available to the influences of far-flung cuisines. Our menu changes quarterly in order to utilize each seasons unique offerings, keep the kitchen engaged and creative and of course to ensure your interest, entertainment and curiosity in this fine dining experience. Your server is well trained and passionate about food and wine. Please don’t hesitate to inquire about the preparation of our dishes or the nuances of our extensive wine list. Relax and enjoy. Thank you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Hampton Street Vineyard - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
Hampton Street Vineyard reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (32)fit for foodies (26)special occasion (25)neighborhood gem (24)romantic (23)great for lunch (9)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Never disappointed!DinencolaDined on 8/22/2014Hampton St Vineyard seems to just keep getting better. We've dined here for special occasions, last minute walk ins, and a bar visit. Have never been disappointed. The mussels are delicious which makes it difficult to try all the other wonderful appetizers. The entree selection is updated frequently and is probably the best selection of any restaurant in Columbia in it's class. The food is always creative and delicious. The service has never been anything less than excellent. The staff is friendly and knowledgable and well trained. I would recommend this spot to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Wonderful food and service. We were dropping our daughter off to usc and found restaurant on line. It was as delicious as the reviews stated it was.Special Features:
- WoodlandsDined on 8/9/2014I have lived in Columbia my entire life, but I just discovered Hampton Street Vineyard this weekend. It was absolutely fantastic. The wine list is by far the best in Columbia (among the best in SC), and the meal (duck) was outstanding, as was the service. When it comes to downtown restaurants, Hampton Street Vineyard can sometime be forgotten (I think this is because the only sign out front says "Vineyard," so it is sort of hidden away. There is no signage that actually says "Hampton Street Vineyard," so you kind of need to know it is there). But it's a hidden gem for sure, and we will be going back regularly. Five stars for food, service and ambiance.Special Features:
- old and outdatedcarolinacoupleDined on 7/30/2014The food was good and our waiter was great but the bartender had know idea how to mix drinks. Being a bartender is more than just pouring wine and beer. The decor was dated. Won't go back. Not what we expected.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!LSLKJDined on 7/29/2014We were looking for someplace nice for dinner before going to a show at the Township Auditorium. The atmosphere in the restaurant is very pleasant. I had the crabcake and my husband had the poached salmon. The crab cake was very tasty, but it seemed to have a lot of mayonnaise or cream based filler in it, or maybe it was garlic puree? The outside was crispy brown and the inside was very mushy, soft. My husband had to send back the poached salmon for further cooking because it was served much too rare for his preference. I tasted his salmon and it was very good. The service was very good and in spite of the comments I have made about the food, we would return to this restaurant on another visit to Columbia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a fantastic dinner.JohnRDined on 7/26/2014Not sure why I don't go here more often. Always good food and service. Pricing in-line with the offering. Definitely recommend! Will return soon.Special Features:
- Always Good!JohnRDined on 7/12/2014I really should eat here more often. Food is always great and of course the wine flows exceptionally. Nice intimate space.Special Features:
- First visit - home run!yumyumVIPDined on 6/28/2014Great in every respect! What a find! Food was exceptional, and we loved the service and the ambiance.Special Features:
- Dinner at Hampton Street VineyardsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2014This is a favorite when we are visiting Columbia. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Consistently outstanding.MelsVIPDined on 6/21/2014The locals continue to come back to this place over and over- enough said.Special Features:
- savortheflavorDined on 6/21/2014Warm inviting atmosphere. Excellent service. Great wine selection. Creative menu selection. Chef did an excellent job of pairing flavors and textures. Sword fish was excellent as was the chocolate banana bread pudding. Better than expected! Loved the delightful aromas wafting in from the kitchen. It was a delightful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnneAnnaGreyVIPDined on 6/19/2014Great bar, great food, great evening. Have Neenah many times and have always had a wonderful time. One of the best.Special Features:
- A Pleasant SurpriseMrFrozenCustardDined on 6/19/2014I was not familiar with the area and searched online for something convenient to the Marriott, for a dinner meeting. This restaurant is hidden right across the street. I arrived early, but enjoyed a great Zinfandel and studied the restaurant historical documents on the wall with the help of a charming staff member. By the time our group convened, it was a bit late for appetizers, but the menu offered some delightful choices. The swordfish the best I have tasted in sometime, but I don't often get this close to the coast. The cut was fresh and thick, and for me the portion size was perfect. Our waitress, "Brittany, if the food is good" was delightful. I look forward to dining here again soon.Special Features:
- Great lunch downtownkthywinDined on 6/11/2014Enjoyed meeting an old friend for lunch at Hampton Street Vineyard. We both ordered the same lunch, which was the Gazpacho, and the Salmon over Grilled Vegetables with Roasted Corn and Peach Relish .....both were outstanding! Service was great, not too noisy to converse, and right off Main St., if you have errands to run downtown. I would definitely return to Hampton Street Vineyard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniebannieDined on 6/6/2014We had a great time…..Food was awesome. Service was excellent. Had not been to Hampton Street vineyards in years…will be going back more often now!
- DeliciousEuropeanesqueInSCDined on 6/6/2014Having lived and eaten our way around Europe and not seen or experienced anything close in Columbia, we were pleasantly surprised by this downtown gem. It felt as if we were back in Europe at a sidewalk cafe. A must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasantDukeofMontroseDined on 6/3/2014I took a couple of friends/co-workers out for dinner after work. The wine selection was impressive, the food was excellent as was the staff.Special Features:
- Not friendly to concealed carryDisappointedDined on 6/2/2014Food and service was a solid 4, a little rushed on the service. Large sign on front door banning concealed carry, but did not apply to the guy at the bar drinking very heavy. He staggered down the street about 30 minutes after we arrived. The law give the owners of an establishment the right to ban concealed carry. I also have the right to not give them my business. I would worry that have a large sign out front banning concealed carry would not be an invitation to people that don't care about signs to pay them a visit. I will not be back.
- Unimpressedkelly12Dined on 5/31/2014We had dined here before and it was superb, brought friends back and was very disappointed. Saturday night service was 'odd,' food over spiced and marginal and kitchen staff could be heard from our table. Will not be going back anytime soon. Went elsewhere for dessert and after dinner drinks.Special Features:
- A great experience!flyingcolonelVIPDined on 5/30/2014We're from Atlanta and go to Columbia some. We usually at the Marriott across the street and kept saying we should try Hampton Street Vineyard. Wow - should have gone before! Menu is unique and inspired, with the presentation matching the preparation. Selections were diverse, making it hard to choose. Food pricing is in line with a fine dining restaurant, but certainly not overpriced. Wine list is excellent, with many unexpected gems. Selection and pricing should satisfy anyone. Service is exceptional. Our server Brittany was low-key and charming, with a solid understanding of the menu. This restaurant satisfied us completely, making us contemplate when we can make our next trip to Columbia. A must-try for locals and visitors alike.Special Features:
- ParkingOneLooseThreadVIPDined on 5/27/2014I love this place. The food and the service is always wonderful. I just wish they had valet parking. There are many times that I have made early reservations and had to park in the parking garage across the street. This certainly does not keep me from returning time and time again for the fantastic food.Special Features:
- First visit was a charm..All goodRavenDined on 5/27/2014Will go again and will recommend. Wonderful lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timenbeard2001Dined on 5/17/2014Excellent all the way around...Menu is seasonal so definitely check in advance...not your ordinary of staples...I was limited because I am not a huge Fish or Duck guy...but I found the pork loin and it was fantastic. Wine selection is vast...which is an understatement and reasonably priced for the high dollar bottles. I will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Best steaks in ColumbiaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014We went to Hampton Street Vineyard for its wine list, so I was very surprised to get the best ribeye I've ever eaten! My wife's sirloin was great too.Special Features:
- Thumbs DownFoodyDined on 5/10/2014My wife and I have been going to HSV for over 10 years. It used to be our favorite restaurant. Sadly, the food quality has declined over the past 2 years. The service, however, was excellent as usual.Special Features:
- The following 277 reviews are from the Hampton Street Vineyard reviews archive.
- Love this restauranttravelgirlDined on 4/28/2014We enjoyed a birthday lunch for my husband at this favorite restaurant. The food and service were fantastic as usual!Special Features:
- A Columbia GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014We were seated in the Wine celler room, which has about6 tables and is both very romantic and separate from the gfeneral dining Area. Very extensive wine list at all price points. Friendly and knoedgable service . Food was excellent with its emphasis on local meats. , dish , and produceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Hiidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014I don't know why but I frequently forget to include this restaurant when contemplating where to go. Big mistake. Food is excellent, wine list extensive and reasonably priced, even low end wines were a catch. Always consistent. Only slight downsides are noise and lack of immediate parking. For a dining experience I don't think it can be beat in Columbia. We will remember to remember from now on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Masters FeastLukeVIPDined on 4/12/2014We returned from a day at the Masters to a late dinner at The Hampton Street Vineyard. The service was terrific and food fabulous. I spent 10 years in Maryland and came to appreciate great crab cakes. The crab cakes at Hampton Street were better than many I have enjoyed. My son had the duck which he said was also terrific. The wine list was expensive and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodhamfredDined on 4/12/2014Excellent food, but not in a sophisticated foodie type way. The mussels were the star attraction. We couldn't get enough of delicious broth that came with them. The fried oysters were also delicious. Entrees were also very nice. Short Ribs, Filet, Duck and Shrimp and Grits were all enjoyed by our party. The service was a little spotty. Our waiter seemed a bit out of sorts. (Nearly spilling food and awkwardly attempting to engage our kids in chit chat.) He was also difficult to understand. That aside, I'd happily go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/10/2014This is a restaurant of great charm and delicious food and wine. Though relaxed in atmosphere, this classy restaurant has a sophisticated take on Southern food, such as the most succulent and light fried oysters we have ever had, and a black bean an andouille sausage soup that was delicious. This was followed by delicious duck breast with a bit of a Thai flavor, and beautifully cooked sea scallops. There were interesting wine offerings by the glass - good and not generic. Service was friendly and excellent. Whether you are local, or a visitor from out of town, if you like good food, Hampton Street Vineyard should be high on your list of places to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mandatory Tip?NickDined on 4/8/2014I travel to Columbia on business once or twice a month and always eat at this restaurant. The food is very good and the service, depending on the waiter, is also. My partner and I ate there this week and to our surprise, noted the tip was already included in our bill. The tip was 20%. Our service was ok, but I thought we both had to request drink refills, etc., more than usual as the wait staff usually can see an emplty glass and refill them ( non-alcoholic drinks). At any rate...it was a surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticfoodieDined on 4/5/2014Wonderful ambience, great service, delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hampton Street Vineyard isOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/1/2014Hampton Street Vineyard is always good and very consistent. I arranged dinner for a group of 10 co-workers from out of town and everyone enjoyed their meal. The service was attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2014We had an enjoyable meal. Very good food (I had the duck) followed by tiramisu. Decent wine list. Nice ambiance, not the usual barn-like room. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in ColumbiaHurrahDined on 3/18/2014As usual, the Hampton Street Vineyard produced outstanding seafood; almost up to Charleston gourmet standards. I regard it as the best in Columbia. My wife and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary there. The sauces are outstanding and the Shrimp & Grits, Mahi Mahi and Crusty Flounder are among the best to be found. Veggies are slightly crunchy and fresh. No Columbia restaurant has a more extensive (and expensive) wine offering so make it a special event. The dress is casual for a fine restaurant. The only downside is that the ceramic flooring, hard walls and reflective ceiling makes the ambiance very loud so you could not call it a romantic environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findSueMVIPDined on 3/6/2014This was our first time at this restaurant. The wine list is a little overwhelming but our group selected 2 bottles in our price range and they were both really good. The bartender/manager even came over and offered a few ideas which helped. If you want to spend $20 or $200 this place has a bottle of wine for you. Our server was great - very funny and informative. The food was really good and comforting on a cold, rainy day. Exactly what we needed!Special Features:
- Wonderful each and every time,KarenVIPDined on 2/24/2014I eat here regularly and have never had a bad experience with food, service, or ambience! A wonderful choice!!Special Features:
- Business DinnerBizdinerDined on 2/18/2014Great Location, nice atmosphere, great food and wine. Only "issue" is that once the tables began to fill up it became very loud and difficult to converse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post-Valentine's Day CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2014Waiting a couple of days to celebrate Valentine's Day was certainly the right thing to do at Hampton Street Vineyard. Great food, great wine, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.