553 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hamersleysbistro.com/
- Phone: 6174232700
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: Brunch 11-2, 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Gordon Hamersley
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Small, custom-designed private parties.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a small, semi-private room that seats up to 20 people. It is available for private parties Sunday through Thursday evenings.
- Private Party Contact: Alyson 6174232700
- Special Events: For large events, the entire restaurant is available to rent any night of the week.
- Cross Street: corner of Clarendon and Tremont
- Public Transit: We are close to the Back Bay Station stop on the Orange line and the Copley stop on the Green line.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: We offer valet parking on the Tremont Street side of the restaurant. The cost is $16 per car. However, there is no valet parking available for Sunday brunch.
A word from Hamersley's Bistro
Gordon and Fiona Hamersley have owned one of Boston's most popular restaurants for 20 years. Hamersley's Bistro serves contemporary, full-flavored French/Mediterranean food in a relaxed environment. Located in the fashionable South End, Hamersley's is adjacent to the Boston Center for the Arts and its' affiliated theaters and galleries. The historic brick building, which originally housed a piano factory, has been transformed into one of Boston's most comfortable dining atmospheres. The dining room has butter yellow walls, exposed beams and a view of the open kitchen so diners can watch the chefs work in their brightly colored baseball caps. There is also a cozy bar, where neighborhood regulars gather for food and drinks, as well as a large patio for casual summer dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Hamersley's Bistro - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Hamersley's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
397 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (323)special occasion (311)neighborhood gem (275)romantic (170)great for outdoor dining (151)notable wine list (124)hot spot (86)good for groups (58)great for brunch (29)vibrant bar scene (21)scenic view (15)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (6)Show More
- A CROWDED MONEY-GRUBBING PLACEOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014The roast chicken was as good as advertised, but still not worth the money. They don't even include sides. Had a $10 hummus appetizer that was minuscule. They pack you in there as well. A waste of money.Special Features:
- Last chance chicken...GCBostonVIPDined on 10/16/2014We will miss everything about Hamersley's when they shut their doors for good at the end of the month. Especially the roast chicken.Special Features:
- One last meal and it was a good oneManhattanNomadVIPDined on 10/16/2014After dining here several times over the years we ate what is likely our last meal here given the scheduled closing in 2 weeks. This last meal may have been the best ( and there have been several very good ones in the past ) add an Oregon Pinot and a jazzy Manhattan, nice service, OK table, ah, would do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck you guys, you will be missed.Special Features:
- AdamDined on 10/16/2014I am so grateful we were able to dine at Hamersley's before they shut their doors for good! It was worth the years of waiting and procrastinating a visit! Thank you for a wonderful birthday meal!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oppi328VIPDined on 10/15/2014Hammersley's Bistro is closing forever at the end of this month! We just ate our last meal there! We thoroughly enjoyed our mushroom sandwich appetizers, a corn soup, a smoked salmon apoetipzer, and our unbelievable lemon and garlic roast chicken entrees! I even ordered the pumpkin cheesecake for dessert! We will definitely miss this very special restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing Hamersley'slongtimerVIPDined on 10/14/2014Too bad that Hamersley's is closing after such a long and glorious run of being one of Boston's best restaurants! It will be missed!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Fantastic, as always. Every bite brought an incredible mixture of textures and flavors. This restaurant will be sorely missed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/14/2014Quite a fabulous experience. I felt as though I was eating perfection. My only regret is that I waited so long to come here and now the restaurant is closing.Special Features:
- End of an EraOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/13/2014Just so sad that Hamersley's is closing. Have been coming here ever since Gordon and Fiona opened up their little storefront restaurant across the street 27 years ago. Never, ever, disappointed. Thanks for all the good memories - especially the garlic and mushroom sandwiches and the duck confit for every season!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Running on Emptybkg42Dined on 10/13/2014For as many years as I have been going to Hamersley's, including the one time I brought 20 people there for dinner, drinks and a professional presentation, I have always wondered, when might they possibly recognize that I am a regular patron. One night, several years ago on the patio, I actually complained before leaving. Surprising to me was that someone actually took off their "facade smile" and called me to discuss my disappointing experience. While I think their food has been almost always exceptional, I can't help but to wonder if the faces behind the servers are a bunch of well paid, unhappy people. It's been a pleasure to order take out, once I finally realized I could enjoy the food without the superficial smiles.
- Hail and farewellLloydVIPDined on 10/13/2014This was probably my last dinner at Hamersley's, to my great sadness. One of the great restaurants is closing soon. No more of Hamerlsey's sublime roast chicken, with the perfect blend of lemon and garlic. No more of Hamerlsey's sublime pear/apricot upside-down cake. This time, for the first time, I tried the lobster/corn pudding appetizer. Guess what? Sublime! How I'll miss Hamersley's!!!!Special Features:
- So Sad To see You GotecrunnerVIPDined on 10/12/2014Hammersley's has been our FAVORITE Boston restaurant for years, a pioneer in the resurgence of the South End, and on the leading edge of Boston becoming a foodie town. SOOOOO sad to see it go at the end of October, but so thankful to have had it for so many wonderful years.Special Features:
- Sorry to see you GoOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014Had a fantastic dinner. The food was awesome and the service great. I wish Gordon and his staff the Best. Thank YouSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They will be missedEllenVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had to have Gordon's classic mushroom sandwich and roast chicken one more time before the restaurant closes. Hamersley's has been a family favorite for many many years. We're grateful for all the fantastic meals and wish Gordon and Fiona well!Special Features:
- Hammersley's - closing is a lossFamilyLDined on 10/11/2014So sad they're closing this excellent restaurant. Food is excellent, staff wonderful. Going out on top is understandable but it is a loss to the dining public. Hoping Gordon will open another restaurant after a year or two of rest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AdieusothisismypassionDined on 10/10/2014Last meal at Hamersley's memorable for outstanding lobster corn pudding appetizer, delicious creamy celery root side and ethereal pumpkin cheesecake mousse. Halibut a tad disappointing for being overcooked--should have gone with cassoulet that neighboring table enjoyed thoroughly. Oh, if only other great chefs would dedicate their talent and energy to develop and maintain one great restaurant rather than distilling their efforts to chase ambition and, sadly, greed. Gordon and Fiona and their staffs represent the best of gracious service, fine food that moved with the times even when not always perfect, and making a neighborhood their own. A life's work well done. Boston thanks you, and your staffs over the years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good bye and thank you!hungrylucindaDined on 10/9/2014Not much point in reviewing, as it's closing soon and booked up until then. But a great Boston special occasion institution, and we will miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funstuff223Funstuff223Dined on 10/9/2014Seems pointless to write this review as they are closing very soon- am happy to say we have enjoyed many wonderful meals there and at the old location- if you can get a reservation at all before this great institution leaves us, then do so!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so sadeyeluv2dineVIPDined on 10/8/2014It is closing in 3 weeks. So sad to see one of Boston's best go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/7/2014We are so sad that it is closing - a wonderful restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- norma286Dined on 10/7/2014It was a fabulous evening. All 4 of us had a great dinner. It is a shame it is closing. I hope one of the current chefs opens a restaurant.Special Features:
- Great lossLloydVIPDined on 10/6/2014Hamersley's is closing--and what a great loss that is to everone who loves great food. The roast chicken with leomn and garlic is one of the most perfect dishes one can eat in a Boston restaurant, and although I'd love to try other things on my last visits, it's imossible not to order the chicken, knowing that very soon I'll never be able to order it again. The venison pate "amuse bouche" was a heavenly appetizer, though a bit skimpy, and the apricot/pear upside-down was an ethereal dessert. Oh how much Hamersley's will be missed!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Roast Chicken!PotsandPensVIPDined on 10/3/2014Possibly the best chicken I've ever had in a restaurant. Try it before they close forever at the end of October 2014!!Special Features:
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014So many great meals had with Gordon and his tem, will miss this placeSpecial Features:
- Will be deeply missedagirlsgottaeatVIPDined on 10/3/2014Wanted to be sure to visit one last time before Hamersley's closes for good in a few short weeks. If you haven't been yet, trust me that you do not want to deprive yourself of trying this Boston institution before it closes. So many "old" restaurants are not worth the hype by the time their run ends. This is the except to the rule. Diners were stopping at the kitchen to applaud Chef Hamersley as they were leaving after a delicious meal. The staff were visibly moved anytime someone mentioned it was going to be the last time they ate there. The menu continues to impress and of course, the chicken is the stand out star -- how could I get anything else on my last time there?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Run... A Boston LegendOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/3/2014Great to see Gordon still on the line (like every night during his long career) producing great tasting chow on a high level. No tricks here, just honest well prepared high quality ingredients perfectly cooked. The chicken is a thing of beauty... other dishes also please. Enjoyed the two lobster apps, scallops, pork chop and the kitchen. Excellent desserts... pumpkin cheesecake and apple crumble.
- Sad goodbyesmamiDined on 10/3/2014My son came up from ny for this unique dining experience and the chicken was worth the trip. My husband loved his halibut and I enjoyed the quail but I need to return at least once for more than a bite of the chicken, even if we have to sit at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularABCFoodieDined on 10/2/2014This was the most spectacular meal we have had in recent memory. From top to bottom Hamersley's nails it on presentation, service, hospitality and of course the food. Every bite of our meal was better than the first and we certainly savored every last bite. It is a shame that they will close at the end of the month and can only hope something as worthy takes its place. Dining here for our anniversary was a special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 9/30/2014The food was excellent. You were not rushed and we had a great tomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We're So Going To Miss YouOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/30/2014Hammersley's is one of those rare gems that has remained fabulous from day one--27 years ago. Last night's food was spectacular--each dish a delicious blend of flavors. This restaurant has been our go-to for special occasions and we will miss it a lot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sorry it's closingsamthegourmandDined on 9/30/2014This was the third time we've eaten here. What can I say? One of the best restaurants in Boston. We wish Gordon best of luck in his retirement. I hope all the employees find jobs after the place closes at the end of October.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionFoodieDined on 9/30/2014A great place for a special celebration. The service was outstanding. We arrived a bit earlier than our reservation but the hostess said not to worry and sat us immediately. One had the quail which was quite good. One had the scallops which were outstanding. We requested a change from sweet potatoes to any other potatoe which he did. The person with the steak said it was one of the best and cooked just the way he likes it. We are sorry to see Hamersley's Bistro close. It is a special place.Special Features:
- Fond memoriesReturnDinerWFriendsDined on 9/28/2014Before we were seated, I watched our waiter tighten up his tie in the mirror, a final professional flourish to a career of 21 years during Hamersley's 27 year run. People rate restaurants by food, of course, but I love waiters. This gentleman was a pro, and we (like a bazillion other diners) burdened him with our swansong memories. The original H was one of our first dates 22 yrs ago, with its heavy velvet curtain hung to keep out front door cold blasts. We had celebrated my 50th bday here and tonight was my 60th. Later, I overheard the father of the family next to us tell our waiter, "we came here when we were dating, kept coming, now with daughters..." Oh, dinner was outstanding. (Best wishes to our waiter and his home project in Malden!)Special Features:
- Will miss Hammersley's!judiandglennDined on 9/26/2014The 4 of us had dined at Hammersley's before since they have the best roasted chicken anywhere. I made the reservation as soon as I read they were closing permanently. Our server told us they are fully booked til it closes. A delicious farewell to a great restaurant!Special Features:
- Hammersley closinghcorahDined on 9/26/2014So sorry they are closing. We will miss this wonderful rstaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so sad they are closingJandIVIPDined on 9/26/2014When we heard that this wonderful restaurant was closing, I immediately reserved a table for Aug., Sept, and Oct. We have eaten here many times and will miss it greatly. Must confess that I always get the special chicken which never fails to please. Not sure that a review is really indicated at this point but am doing so anyway. I guess I will have to try and make Gordon's chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RunhinghamVIPDined on 9/26/2014Hamersley's is undoubtedly the best restaurant in Boston and every time I have gone there it has been a remarkable experience. I felt lucky to be able to snare a reservation for this last time as it is closing soon. Good Luck to Gordon and thank you for such a wonderful and consistently high quality food experience. Who ever thought that roasted chicken could rise to such heights!Special Features:
- Get There! Hamersley's Final DayscageyleftyVIPDined on 9/25/2014If you have the chance, get to Hamersley's for their legendary Roast Chicken and other dishes. Place was packed at 830p, with good reason. Service was spectacularly attentive and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionmoveablefeastDined on 9/25/2014As always, dining at Hammersley's is perfect on every level. Having dined there for nearly 30 years since they opened their doors, this now iconic restaurant will be sorely missed.Special Features:
- Great Food, meh serviceLobstahLovahDined on 9/24/2014When my mother came out from California to visit, I thought I would surprise her with reservations to Hamersley's - since they are closing and she has long been wanting to try it. In short, the food, especially the chicken, lives up to the hype. It was a fantastic meal that we will definitely remember. However, the server was not welcoming. We didn't order wine, as my mother wasn't feeling very well, got a salad to split, two entrees, and coffees. The second we said we weren't interested in wine or a cocktail, the sever became incredibly dismissive. He begrudgingly took our orders, barely checked in, and seemed to write us off as a "cheap" table - which definitely led to us skipping dessert just to get out of there.Special Features: