553 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hamersleysbistro.com/
- Phone: 6174232700
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: Brunch 11-2, 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Gordon Hamersley
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Small, custom-designed private parties.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a small, semi-private room that seats up to 20 people. It is available for private parties Sunday through Thursday evenings.
- Private Party Contact: Alyson 6174232700
- Special Events: For large events, the entire restaurant is available to rent any night of the week.
- Cross Street: corner of Clarendon and Tremont
- Public Transit: We are close to the Back Bay Station stop on the Orange line and the Copley stop on the Green line.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: We offer valet parking on the Tremont Street side of the restaurant. The cost is $16 per car. However, there is no valet parking available for Sunday brunch.
A word from Hamersley's Bistro
Gordon and Fiona Hamersley have owned one of Boston's most popular restaurants for 20 years. Hamersley's Bistro serves contemporary, full-flavored French/Mediterranean food in a relaxed environment. Located in the fashionable South End, Hamersley's is adjacent to the Boston Center for the Arts and its' affiliated theaters and galleries. The historic brick building, which originally housed a piano factory, has been transformed into one of Boston's most comfortable dining atmospheres. The dining room has butter yellow walls, exposed beams and a view of the open kitchen so diners can watch the chefs work in their brightly colored baseball caps. There is also a cozy bar, where neighborhood regulars gather for food and drinks, as well as a large patio for casual summer dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Hamersley's Bistro - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Hamersley's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
359 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (279)special occasion (271)neighborhood gem (229)great for outdoor dining (166)romantic (161)notable wine list (115)hot spot (59)good for groups (47)great for brunch (33)scenic view (18)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (7)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014Alas, they're closing so what I say doesn't matter but anyone who hasn't been here has missed one of the best restaurants ever. If you can get a reservation before they leave next month, run, don't walk.Special Features:
- First TimerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We wanted to try Hamersley's Bistro before they close for good. I ordered the wild king salmon, which came with vegetables. The salmon was very good, but not the best that I have ever had. The vegetables were amazing, though. They had just the right amount of crunch to them. My husband ordered the chicken, which he liked very much, and a side of vegetables. Again, the vegetables were very good. The blueberry buckle dessert was also very good. The lemon sherbert that came with it was too lemony for me. The restaurant décor was rather plain. I only noticed one or two pictures on the wall. The lighting was very bright, hence, not very romantic. Expensive! However, they must be doing something right to be in business for 27 years.Special Features:
- Good bye Hammersley'sskysthelimitDined on 9/14/2014They close in a month & it's very apparent at how rudely the hostesses treat their loyal long time customers; shame on them. Food, OK...but expensive-; i.e., $28 for 2 chicken legs sections with little else on the plate. Yes, the chef/owner signature dish but husband had blue fish, perhaps portion was 4-5 oz for $28. Value for $$ spent is not there. Had awful run in with hostess; 1 seated us at a table for 4 (only 2 of us) and then a minute later another hostess announces we cannot sit there and makes us leave the table-how rude and embarassing. Save your $$ it closes end of October-who needs to be treated so badly and spend $100 for 2. Evidently they don't feel the need to exhibit excellent customer service till they close.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014Everything was outstanding! Wish they weren't closing, but we'll try to get back in there once more. The dishes were complex and satisfying--and beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So sorry to see it goOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/13/2014I always said I wanted to move to the South End and become a regular. That won't happen now, but we were so glad to get one last delicious meal. From the wine to the goat cheese tartine and rabbit rillettes to the chicken (of course) to the blueberry buckle and orange-peach upside down cake to the coffee, it was an outstanding dinner. The wait staff is exceptional and we hope to be seeing them at other great Boston restaurants soon. Thank you, Gordon and Fiona Hamersley, for elevating our expectations of restaurant food.Special Features:
- DissappointingDissappointedDined on 9/13/2014We went to Hammersley's for a final visit expecting a wonderful meal and pleasant visit. The waiter was rude and condescending all evening. His answers to our questions were short, snotty and not very helpful. My tomato salad was boring; the fish was overcooked and over spiced. The mint chocolate chip cookie sandwich dessert had very little ice-cream, just a bit of melted mush like it was the bottom of the barrel and basically we paid $11 for 2 cookies. Although the signature chicken and the strawberry shortcake were good, in general, the food was not as good as expected and not worth the $300 price tag. Very disappointing, especially the service. Even if they were not closing, we would not return.Special Features:
- Happy Trails to the HamersleysbitsandpiecesVIPDined on 9/13/2014We quickly made reservations the morning the Boston Globe reported on the closing of the restaurant and the "retirement" of Gordon Hamersley and his wife. This restaurant has been the scene of hundreds of wonderful meals and gatherings for our family. Saturday night's meal and service were of outstanding quality. The polenta, lobster, corn and cherry tomato appetizer was a beautiful explosion of summer flavors. It was sad to realize it was the last time I would experience their signature roast chicken. Our meal was topped off with a blueberry crumble with a lemon buttermilk sorbet, also fabulous. Our waitress was as beautiful inside as out and gave seasoned advice on our selections and wonderful service. It has always been lovely.Special Features:
- Get your chicken onHungryDined on 9/12/2014Waiter told us now that Hammersley's has announced it's closing at end of October, 70% of patrons order the roast chicken! Ther's a reason. If you haven't had it, go try it before it's too late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farewell!WinerDinerVIPDined on 9/12/2014Had to go last night before it closes! And couldn't help but indulge in the chicken on last time. But the shining star was the tomato, avocado, and summer vegetable salad to start...with a pear sidecar. Can I do that again tonight? Husband had the swordfish, also outstanding. The strawberry shortcake was truly to die for, and the upside down cake also delicious.Special Features:
- counting down...sothisismypassionDined on 9/12/2014Second of 3 last visits before this culinary institution closes. Last month duck confit and bass outstanding. Last week, duck a bit dry, standard halibut delicious but greens and fruit w it just a notch below what came w the bass 3 weeks earlier. A real disappointment was rabe w garlic--so stringy and tough we couldn't eat it. Not at all H's normal quality. Tho good, always hard to pay $8 for small mashed potato cake. Companion's appetizer toast w cucumber and goat cheese very good but slight for price. She ordered chicken b/c of raves -- delicious but, after all, chicken--glad to taste it but would have ordered more interesting menu item in future. One more dinner to go--halibut again, pork chop, steak, or other? Wines by glass excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good-bye Hamersley's!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/11/2014An absolute favorite, Hamersley's is going out at the top of its game. We flew to Boston just to have one more dinner here, and we weren't disappointed. What a gem. What a great bistro. Great memories. Good-bye Hamersley's!Special Features:
- Hamersley's saves the best for lastOnasNhojDined on 9/11/2014I had to get in one last dining experience before it closed, It did not disappoint. This was my fourth time in visits that spanned about 25 years and not once through the years have I not left energized and impressed by the setting the service and the sublime food. He, Himself was in comand that Thursday night, (our 4-some right across from the open galley) an displayed a mastery that came through every dish. A special shout out to the creamy lobster -sweet corn pudding appetizer and the halibut was succulently sauced and prepaired. I buy & sell fine wine in the area 20+years and recomend this wine list as being incredably well selected and fairly priced. Service: engaging informed, attentive yet never intrusive. Warm like home. Sante' !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A local treasurePhoodeeVIPDined on 9/11/2014Had to make one last trip before they close. It has never disappointed. The service and food were exceptional. They will be missedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry it's closingTLC2Dined on 9/10/2014Hamersley's will close its doors in October. It will be missed.Special Features:
- One of our all-time favorites!NomossundermyfeetDined on 9/10/2014We have been coming here for over 20 years. Hamersley's has consistently delivered on fanstastic food, ambiance, service. This time the highlight was the strawberry shortcake: it was truly unbelievable! They are closing their doors in a few weeks so the owners can retire. This place is a treasure and the loss will be felt by all who have loved it over the years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- last hurrahandyDined on 9/10/2014We'll be sad to see Hamersley's close after an illustrious run. I'm glad I was able to come one last time.Special Features:
- Sad to see it go...diggydDined on 9/7/2014We are glad that we finally got the chance to eat at Hamersley's. The roast chicken dish was highly recommended by a friend, and it certainly did not disappoint! We also had the creamy lobster with corn pudding appetizer that was absolutely divine. Mark, our waiter, was both pleasant and attentive. We'll see if can also try brunch before they close next month. Yes, we are sad to see it go... Best of luck to the owners!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gordon, We'll miss your faireDavidSDined on 9/6/2014As the close of Hamersley's Bistro approaches, we enjoyed our second to last dinner over the past weekend. Of course I had the roast chicken, with the hope of its succulent flavor becoming embedded in my taste buds. Had I planned it better, I would have worked on the recipe over the past several months, still with the real think available for comparison. Perhaps it is not too late to start. Our last visit to this most favorite of all Boston restaurants will be early October, so I better get crackin', before delectable preparation of each dish, glorious wine list, and the sublime ambiance exits only in our memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014It's a shame they are closing, always a joy to enjoy the food here. It will surely be missed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2014As wonderful as it always has been. A Boston institution. So sad that it's closing its doors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014We feel sorry for all the diners who may now never get a chance to visit this restaurant as it is closing. Hammersly's has been a steady and reliable favorite for fine dining when Boston was still a bit of a dining desert. We will miss this restaurant for its excellent food,wine and service. Future chefs who inhabit this prime restaurant space in the South End should take a page from Gordon Hamersly's book and be sure to focus on using only the freshest ingredients and preparing them in the tastiest manner instead of striving to be the trendiest new chef on the block.Special Features:
- BYE BYEPatSVIPDined on 9/4/2014I'll miss you, Hammersley's. Thanks for years of good food and cheer.
- Boston ClassicBosDinerDined on 9/4/2014We are really going to miss this Boston institution. Get in quick before it closes in October. The best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/3/2014We had a wonderful server and everything that was ordered was better than expected too bad they are closing - it is a memorable restaurant that will only live in our memories we have been there many times and never had a bad item - it is always a wonderful experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hamersley's will be missedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/3/2014Deliciously amazing food, wonderful service and warm atmosphere. This restaurant, its chef/owner, and staff will be missed by all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousFoodieVIPDined on 9/3/2014We have been waitng several years to come to this fabulous restaurant. Everything exceeded our expectations. Wonderful staff and wonderful imaginative food, both in presentation and taste. We would recommend this restaurant to everyone, but hurry it will be closing very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farewell DinnerMarsVIPDined on 9/3/2014Well it's all about the roast chicken... but then, all the other food is so scrumptious that it is HARD to choose. We've been occasional patrons since Hamersley's moved into this space. Ate once at the original location. And thru-out the years it has been a special occasion location. The food is so good!! We had the mini-mushroom sandwich and the lobster cocktail apps, followed by the chicken (always perfection) and the bluefish. The service was perfect, the food fantastic, the ambiance so enjoyable - and we looked around and saw two tables of friends who were also in to pay their respects. Have a fantastic retirement Gordon and Fiona. You have so earned it. Cook for each other and have a great life!!Special Features:
- as expectednotgreatDined on 9/3/2014The food and service were fabulous. I had the chicken and was amazed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014For years it has been our special place to dine. We are heartbroken that Gordon is leaving! Going as much as we can til end of October!Special Features:
- WILL MISS IT!!!LizDDined on 9/2/2014Hamersley's has been my favorite Boston restaurant for many years. We will miss it very much! Best of luck to Gordon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful in every wayMinnaDined on 9/2/2014Superlative service / wait staff is helpful, friendly, never intrusive.Special Features:
- Perfect eveningLive2eatDined on 9/2/2014From a cozy table by the window , we enjoyed a wonderful dinner, served by our experienced and knowledgable waitress. I had the signature chicken which was moist and flavorful. My husband had the halibut which he thoroughly enjoyed. We saved room for dessert of strawberry shortcake with a biscuit still warm from the oven and pillows of whipped cream and the lemon soufflé with raspberry coulis. Sorry to see this Boston classic will be closing at the end of the month. It will be missed.Special Features:
- AmazingTIBTIBDined on 8/30/2014Great good, great table service, great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Wonderful farewell dinnerjnbcambridgeDined on 8/29/2014Sadly Gordon and Fiona have decided to close after twenty-five plus years on great food. We wanted to bid farewell to a favorite.Special Features:
- Great!luvtoeatDined on 8/29/2014The food was as good as everyone says. Didn't even look at the menu. Ordered the roasted chicken and was thrilled with my decision. They don't have many openings left before they close, but worth trying to visit before they do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bittersweet farewell to HamersleysOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/28/2014We have dined frequently over the years at Hamersleys, mostly for special occasions. All of those memories flooded back last night as we had our last diner there. You will be sorely missed!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/28/2014Fabulous meal. Every bite. Every moment. Of course, we ordered the roasted chicken, creamed spinach and marvelous greens with goat cheese. Heavenly. This welcoming warm culinary heaven will be sorely missed by Boston. We grieve the thought of Hamersley's closing, but are grateful for these wonderful years they have brightened our lives.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014We are going to miss this outstanding restaurant! Best of luck to all!Special Features:
- Best of the BestLocalFoodieVIPDined on 8/27/2014Gordon Hammersley has been making fine food for a long time in Boston's South End. Our recent dinner there was the continuation of a tradition he started when the South End was an edgy place. This may well be his best menu! Get there before he closes the doors forever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing gold can stay.....goldstandardDined on 8/26/2014Hamersley's is the gold standard for great food and dining; everytime! I have gone to Hamersley's since it started on Tremont St and through the years, never have I had a "not so good experience" The food is always delicious but this along with the service and seeing the chefs cooking and talking and passing the dishes. The ambiance is as much cultivated and evolved as the menu. I am sad for me and for all those who love to come to have that meal; that experience which is very comforting. High quality with a home comforting feel. .Special Features: