553 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hamersleysbistro.com/
- Phone: 6174232700
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: Brunch 11-2, 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Gordon Hamersley
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Small, custom-designed private parties.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a small, semi-private room that seats up to 20 people. It is available for private parties Sunday through Thursday evenings.
- Private Party Contact: Alyson 6174232700
- Special Events: For large events, the entire restaurant is available to rent any night of the week.
- Cross Street: corner of Clarendon and Tremont
- Public Transit: We are close to the Back Bay Station stop on the Orange line and the Copley stop on the Green line.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: We offer valet parking on the Tremont Street side of the restaurant. The cost is $16 per car. However, there is no valet parking available for Sunday brunch.
A word from Hamersley's Bistro
Gordon and Fiona Hamersley have owned one of Boston's most popular restaurants for 20 years. Hamersley's Bistro serves contemporary, full-flavored French/Mediterranean food in a relaxed environment. Located in the fashionable South End, Hamersley's is adjacent to the Boston Center for the Arts and its' affiliated theaters and galleries. The historic brick building, which originally housed a piano factory, has been transformed into one of Boston's most comfortable dining atmospheres. The dining room has butter yellow walls, exposed beams and a view of the open kitchen so diners can watch the chefs work in their brightly colored baseball caps. There is also a cozy bar, where neighborhood regulars gather for food and drinks, as well as a large patio for casual summer dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Hamersley's Bistro - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Hamersley's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
312 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (229)special occasion (227)neighborhood gem (178)great for outdoor dining (153)romantic (142)notable wine list (98)good for groups (40)hot spot (38)great for brunch (37)scenic view (20)late-night find (9)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- ProfessorShorthairVIPDined on 8/26/2014My spouse, once again enjoyed the famous chicken dish that she has eaten at each of our vistis to Hamersley's over the past 20 years. I thoroughly enjoyed the halibut. It is sad to say goodbye to Hamersley's, but it was nice to enjoy one last meal there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roast ChickenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Elegant and cozy on the inside and absolutely delicious foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ej12346Dined on 8/25/2014They are closing end of Oct, but food still the best quality..we will go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DINNEROpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/25/2014I was very excited to dine here, and it did not disappoint. Everything was delicious. I would say the salmon in parchment paper was too overcooked for my liking, but the flavors were delicious! I would definitely be back, if I can get there before they close.Special Features:
- almost adieuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014The only reason I give 4 overall is that we had hoped to sit outside but despite the beautiful evening, it wasn't open. Duck confit and striped bass outstanding, chicken really is as good as described, sides @ 8 pricey for the quantity but expected, wine suggestions very good, service lovely.Special Features:
- SpectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/24/2014This restaurant has been a stape in the south end for many years. It will be sorely missed! Best of luck to Gordon Hamersley.Special Features:
- Going out on topgasmanDined on 8/24/2014The service was just average but the food was wonderful.... Cold borscht brimmed with flavor, chicken and quail dishes were outstanding, and peach upside down cake desert was absurdly deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I had discovered you earlierOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014It took us 27 years to get here but we made it. Had 2 classics, the roast chicken and mushroom app. Sooooo deliciousSpecial Features:
- Visit before they close in Oct!FreshIsBestVIPDined on 8/24/2014Hamersley's is without a doubt one of the finest restaurants in Boston. Our party of 4 had an outstanding meal from the inventive Amusee Bouch appetizers, to the fabulous entrees - perfectly cooked, nicely portioned and presented with flair but unfussy. We enjoyed the signature Roast Chicken, Blackened Bluefish with just the right amount of spice, Halibut prepared to delight and a healthy and hearty pork chop. Two light and refreshing desserts and coffee topped off a meal that will be remembered for a lifetime. The service was impeccable, without attitude and the simple casual elegance of the room made for a delightful experience. We only wish Mr. and Mrs. Hamersley were not closing at the end of October. They are true pioneers.Special Features:
- Lobster appetizer epitome of summertatianaDined on 8/23/2014Finally ordered the roasted chicken and it was truly delicious. But the lobster, corn, and cherry tomato appetizer blended flavors that were the epitome of summer. Truly wonderful!Special Features:
- Amazing restaurantlaragoneDined on 8/22/2014Had the pleasure of dining here before they close 10/30. Get any reservation you can and order the roast chicken. It is the most wonderful food I have ever had. Service was top notch. A lovely space in the South End. Nice wine selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ChickenOnthetownDined on 8/21/2014All the courses were delicious. Standouts were the Crispy Duck Confit, the iconic Chicken with Lemon & Garlic (lives up to its well deserved accolades), and the Trilogy of Chocolate dessert. Extensive wine list, accessibly priced. Our only regret is that Hammersley's is soon to close its doors for good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- richVIPDined on 8/20/2014Wonderful meal, never disappointing. Always great service. They had a great 29 year run; Very sorry to see them close, but they deserve a rest.Special Features:
- A gem to the end!KKLevyDined on 8/20/2014Everything was fabulous! It will be missed after it closes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homage to Lemon Garlic ChickenEagleFoodieDined on 8/19/2014with Hamersley's Bistro scheduled to close, everyone should go and partake of the legendary Lemon Garlic Chicken (to die for!). Your diner companion should order the halibut, also legendary, and then the two of you should share the memory.Special Features:
- Amazing experiencefoodieDined on 8/19/2014Delicious, first class experience. Too bad the restaurant is closing. It will be missed by many. Hats of to Gordon HamersleySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoneVIPDined on 8/19/2014Great as always . We will miss Gordon and Fiona. A real loss.Special Features:
- a delicious but sad farewellLloydVIPDined on 8/19/2014We hadn't been to Hamersley's in several years, trying new places here and there. But when we read that Hamersley's was closing, we thought we ought to head back. But oh, what we've missed. Hamersley's famous roast chicken (with lemon and garlic) is even more wonderful than I'd remembered. The appetizers were superb, the dessert sublime. And the service a model of perfection (thank you, Luis!). So it was a wonderful dining experience. But to quote the people at the next table: Where are we going to go when Hamersley's is gone?Special Features:
- Fabulous 1st timeEd617Dined on 8/18/2014I had to try this place before it closed soon since it is considered an institution in the city. I was not disappointed. The food was great (we had to try the chicken dish of course) and so was the staff. Our waiter told us they might be doing a "greatest hits" menu soon. Hopefully I can come again before they close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb! So sorry about closingPrincecharmingDined on 8/18/2014Outstanding every time. Never a complaint in all these years. Too sad for words about the impending closing. We will be lost without our old friend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleDityVIPDined on 8/18/2014Gordon's chicken is amazing, the service was excellent and a nice ambience we were in the bar overlooking the patio as it was closed. A wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularBrindledogDined on 8/17/2014Food was outstanding - wonderful - not crazy - combinations of tastes and cooked to perfection. Service friendly and attentive but not intrusive. Wonderful dining experience, highly recommended. No, it's not inexpensive. This is really a case of getting what you pay for.Special Features:
- One of the best resturants in BosnancycambDined on 8/17/2014What more can anyone say after 27 years of some of the best cooking in the city, and in the USA.. they are sadly now closing at the end of October 2014 :(. Get here for you first or last time here ASAP- the house standards of roasted chicken and garlic and mushroom sandwich will blow you away! Excellent ambiance, service, and of course the nightly sight of a legend - Gordon Hamersley in view in open kitchen with the red sox hat. A Boston institution that lives up to its well deserved reputation!!!!Special Features:
- Last hurrahToniottDined on 8/17/2014First visit was last year for hubby's b-day; came here again this year for one last hurrah before the closing. Could not bring myself to order the roast chicken - who goes out for nice dinner and gets roast chix? - but planning to make it this winter (recipe on WWW). Hubby got the quail. I got pan-roasted lobster. Oh, and some kind of lobster waffle to start. Everything was SPOT. ON. Even better than what I remembered from last year. Great to see Mr. Hamersley in the kitchen, too.Special Features:
- Reviewseamus12Dined on 8/17/2014As this restaurant is closing due to owners retirement I was happy to be able to cross off my bucket list. I was everything I heard and thought it would beSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnertreatsnsnoozinVIPDined on 8/16/2014We were initially seated inside because the outside wait we were told was up to an hour. I was disappointed with the ambiance inside - it was bright, loud, and not at all the romantic bistro feel I had imagined. I asked for recommendations on a glass of Rose and our waiter brought me a taste of one he recommended - unfortunately it wasn't quite my style. I told him more what i was looking foe, asked if he recommended another - but he just seemed bothered and said he'd give a minute to figure it out. This happened twice. He seemed too busy with other tables to take an interest & provide us decent service. Thankfully we ended up being able to get an outdoor table and enjoy the rest of our evening with great food & much better service outside.Special Features:
- One and doneEclipsegst97Dined on 8/15/2014It was the 99 of the south end. Very dissapointed with inattentive service and mediocore food/platingSpecial Features:
- Sorry to see you go!HappydinerDined on 8/15/2014Fabulous dinner! Hammersley's will be a very fond memory. Thank you for many years of memorable meals and happy times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JMonroeDined on 8/15/2014Although the salmon in parchment wasn't up to the usual high standards of Hammersley's, the signature dish, chicken, certainly was. This is a wonderful restaurant, a real neighborhood gem, and it will be sorely missed when Gordon and Fiona close the doors come October. I live right across the street and love this place. The South End will not be the same without Hammersley's/Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experienceeat2behappyDined on 8/15/2014Everything was perfect!!!!! Returning with every opportunituy I have prior to Hamersley's Bistro changing ownership/chef in late October.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chicken on the PlanetAvidEaterDined on 8/15/2014I went into to Hamersley's with very high expectations and the first bite of the Roast chicken alone blew me away. Literally out of this world taste experience.Special Features:
- OutstandingDawnDined on 8/15/2014We sat in a quiet area of the restaurant and it was lovely. The wine list is great and reasonably priced. Outstanding menu--wish we could have tried everything. We live out of town so we will not be able to eat here again before it closes. :( So glad we tried the Garlic Chicken. It was AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go early for roast chickenmamiDined on 8/14/2014Alas, the only reservation we could get was for 8:30. Although Gordon had roasted 90 of his famous chickens, our delightful server told us they were gone by 8. We feasted on excellent steak, pork, salmon, ratatouille, and made a new reservation for 5:30 in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just GreatBusinessDinerVIPDined on 8/13/2014In Boston on business and went with clients to Hamersleys. Had the tomatoes with avocado (outstanding) and the famous roasted chicken. The chicken is unforgettable, and who says that about chicken? Service was super - attentive and pleasant. Had blueberry buckle and strawberry shortcake at the table. You can't go wrong with anything. So sorry to hear restaurant is closing now that I've just found it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- di Santi0033ssDined on 8/11/2014Wonderful experience with good friends, wine and foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stephen RoopmaxdaddyDined on 8/11/2014I've eaten several times at Hamersly's and each time is a delight. The food is splendidly creative, the wines subtly complementary. The service is helpful but always unobtrusive. The space is bright and cheerful in the daytime, elegant at night. It's impossible to ignore the obvious delight of one's table companions or of other tables' diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/10/2014Great service, great food, great outdoor setting. How can you beat it?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- otisVIPDined on 8/10/2014consistently great food. we are never disappointed in either the menu or the quality of the foodSpecial Features:
- Reliably great.LynnMaryDined on 8/9/2014Always a great dining experience. Service is excellent, timely, not overly obtrusive but attentive. Fresh ingredients prepared well. Atmosphere is great for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, as always!PattyADined on 8/9/2014Had a great dinner there Saturday night. Fabulous food and waitstaff!Special Features: