11043 Santa Monica Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90025-3523Neighborhood:
West Los Angeles
SushiPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://hamasakula.com/
- Phone: 3104797636
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Wonny Lee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Contact: Jesse Duron 3104797636
A word from Hamasaku
Hamasaku is a sophisticated harmony of Japanese cuisine and Californian exuberance. Sincere and succinct, Hamasaku's literal translation is one who creates food from the sea. Celebrated for its whimsical reverence for sushi and understated elegance, warmth in hospitality and modern sensibilities underscore a quintessential dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Hamasaku - Best Restaurants in West Los Angeles ›
Hamasaku reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (32)neighborhood gem (25)special occasion (14)great for lunch (13)romantic (5)good for groups (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- FoodieDined on 9/4/2014This is my second time at Hamasaku. I ordered one roll last time that had three types of sushi, stuck with that again and still yummy. I did try their spicy tuna on crispy rice that was very good. The menu has so many interesting choices and everyone at our table ordered something different, great food! I look forward to coming back and trying something new!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!SASSYVIPDined on 9/3/2014One of the best kale salads I have ever had! Delicious miso soup and excellent quality fish, including the tricky uni (sea urchin). Great place, though pricey. But worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi and ServiceJazKatDined on 8/30/2014We had a great time and great sushi at Hamasaku! Can't say enough about the food it was fantastic! The service was so friendly and the atmosphere was very nice, we even got to see a few celebs while we dined. Had a great time will go back again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Excellent as always! Never miss the chance to have dinner here. The black cod was incredibly delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but not as good as last timejr2231Dined on 8/22/2014We had to go here again after it was so good the week prior. The omakase was not quite as good, but we still left feeling content. Will continue to come back.Special Features:
- Excellent, creative sushiLADinerVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had excellent, friendly service, with food servers who would explain (or remind us) about the contents of each of the imaginative, creative sushi rolls that we had ordered. Those rolls were just excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple, elegant ambiance, $$$$lalaeatingoutDined on 8/9/2014Quiet ambiance at 5:30 upon opening, perfect date night spot for us, tab exceeded $100 which was the only downside for our lovely dinner for two with one drink each - no appetizers, no desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best sushi experiencejr2231Dined on 8/8/2014We come here pretty often but this was the first time we tried the Omakase. It was outstanding. We eat a lot of sushi, but I rarely pay over 150 bucks for two people and leave feeling like a got a good deal.Special Features:
- A+ Sushi ExperienceTiffasniffasVIPDined on 8/4/2014This place is such a special treat! We always get the Beacon, DJ Spider Roll (my favorite), Burn 60 (off the old menu), and the spicy tuna crispy rice. SO GOOD!!!Special Features:
- mcandlassVIPDined on 8/2/2014just not the restaurant it used to be. the food just doesn't have the same exciting taste and we were so disappointed in some of the sushi we tasted.
- Friendly and deliciousGregclecticDined on 7/26/2014We went for an early dinner with our 6-year old - and the staff was so friendly to her, bringing kids utensils, suggesting a fun Japanese soda and good food options. The fish was tasty and rolls imaginative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeJenForTheNguyenDined on 7/25/2014I've had lunch here multiple times but this was my first time for dinner and couldn't have asked for a better experience. The vibe definitely changes in the evening, but the fish/food quality does not... It's incredible at all times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem!cakeoDined on 7/25/2014It's a pricy authentic sushi place, but with Dine LA, I get to experience the sweet deal. Just $45 pre-fixed course, we had 4 appetizers (2 of us shared) and the entrée was a set of 10 nigiri sushi (miso soup came much after, I think it was forgotten...) and the dessert. (I recommend to pick different dishes with your company). They use Haiga rice (rice with germ), but it is pretty good in taste. I would definitely do it again with Dine LA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewVIPDined on 7/17/2014We had a very fabulous dinner here. We took advantage of the DineLA menu. The best thing was the chef choice nigiri special. Chef Yoya is a master at sushi making. We definitely need to return to enjoy him again and what he prepares for you. Need to do the sushi omakase meal which the chef will again give you the best selections of sushi. Glad we had a chance to try this place.Special Features:
- Not to be missed!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014As I'm flying here from NY all I am thinking about is dinner at Hamasaku. The sushi is incredible & the restaurant is fun. Enjoy this it is a real California showplace!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and not worth itnotmyfirstrodeoVIPDined on 7/10/2014Hamasaku has never been inexpensive, but last week set a new record. Truly Tiny (3) small slices of sashimi for $18 and it wasn't Toro? I hosted a business lunch where no one drank anything but ice tea and water, and the bill for 8 people was $500 AND we were still hungry. To boot, the fish tasted very average and the sauces were not delicate. Punch line: keep driving
- Good eatsWonbuckDined on 7/9/2014This is a really good sushi-house. Wish I were able to eat here more often. I hear people always complain about the prices. If price is an issue for you, well, go elsewhere!!! Brought two friends here for their first time and they gave big thumbs up to this sushi house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not live up to all the reviewssantamonicagirlDined on 7/5/2014Some of the food had a nice taste, some of it very ordinary. Quite expensive for what you got. The robota grill was over rated and not very good. The crispy rolls were tasty. Slow service but pleasant. Sushi, which my husband ordered was ok, but not up to the hype of being the best Japanese restaurant in West Los Angeles. If the price were less, with not so much hype, it would be a decent restaurant. But the rating were sooo over the top. Disappointing….
- buckle upgringolocoDined on 7/2/2014It is that good. Worth the splurge. Great service. Tucked into corner of strip mall. Tastefully decorated. The sushi is as good as it gets. A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing findKrisDubaiDined on 6/27/2014A bit hidden amongst other restaurants but once inside it is a neat little place. The food we samples was simply amazing, some of the tastiest Japanese I've had in a long time. The soy-garlic edamame are yum and the rolls are melt-in-your-mouth A must-visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the $, not for foodiesKatieDined on 6/21/2014We came here for our 12th wedding anniversary and was greatly disappointed. The waiter although nice was not informed of the menu, gave no in-depth information about anything even when asked. We could have been ordering at a Denny's that was how it was set up. All our food came at once, not little by little. Our table was crammed with plates. We rolled in and were out of there in an hour and a half, we spent over 300.00 and the food was mediocre at best. If you love to celebrate food, and you want it be more then just sustenance, but a memorable experience, don't go here.Special Features:
- Best Sushi RollsSchincatDined on 6/10/2014A real gourmet delight. Very unusual sushi rolls with wonderful flavors and textures.Special Features:
- Authentic & creative!GlobetrottingfoodloverVIPDined on 5/30/2014I've eaten some of the very best sushi Tokyo has to offer and the Omakase dinner here just blew me away! Executive sushi chef Takahashi-san takes you through authentic, yet creative arrays of fresh seafood, full of flavors, both familiar and with surprising twists. This one is a real thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best rolls everhunterskisDined on 5/28/2014Been to quite a few high end sushi restaurants and can say the rolls at Hamasaku are some of the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 60 reviews are from the Hamasaku reviews archive.
- Get Away from SawtelleDaveandRickDined on 4/2/2014What a great hidden gem Hamasaku is! I hesitate to tell everyone as I don't want it to become yet another trendy hot spot to which you must plan 3 months in advance to have a meal. I also don't want to discuss the two dcelebrities in disguise noshing with delight on too many rolls to track. But it is a special room - the quality and presentation of the food is excellent, and the rather small restaurant is quietly elegant. It is not inexpensive nor is it over the top. I would say that it is a very fair value.Special Features:
- Great sushiShastadogDined on 3/24/2014My husband and went here and then the next day to Nobu in Malibu . The sushi at Hamasaku was much better then Nobu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ordered the sushi chef'sNickyDined on 3/22/2014We ordered the sushi chef's tasting menu where they brought out sushi, sashimi and rolls. We tried some new fish, all of which was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatzewing77Dined on 3/7/2014Very good sushi and creative flavor combinations for sure. At the price point however ($100pp without going crazy) there are better places in LA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rolls, rolls, rollsJanie2NDined on 2/15/2014This is a Japanese restaurant specializing in California rolls, some traditional and some imaginative (i.e. with pesto or fresh basil, etc.) Interesting and delicious!Special Features:
- food's great; service needs workbiffVIPDined on 2/8/2014we were delighted as usual with the succulent, creative rolls and the fresh seamless sushi. however, for the first time the service disappointed. yes, we were given the best table in a semi private area and the attention was fine at first. but it got so slow after a while, i had to seek out our waitress. such lapses need to be corrected (attention mr. ovitz). we'll return to make certain it has returned to its usual pristine level.Special Features:
- DineLA = different fish?BrianLDined on 1/31/2014So here's the thing. I'm not one of those cheapo Groupon chasers who just goes after the deal (although there's nothing wrong with that). I have been here before, and as I recall, the food was great. However, on DineLA night, it was if I was eating at the generic mall across america sushi. Fish felt low quality, some not so great odor. Couldn't even finish it. Here's what I suggest, Hamasaku. If you don't want to put forth the same quality food on DineLA menu, then just don't do DineLA. Don't do us favors - we aren't cheapo Grouponers, we're just looking to expand our horizons. Cheers, and let the sushi be with you.
- Haven't been in years, wont be backtlalaVIPDined on 1/29/2014Food was good. Service was horrible, we had to ask for everything twice if not more than twice. Then they rushed us out of the restaurant when it wasn't even late. They should never take a 7:45 reservation if we can't stay and enjoy our meal leisurely... especially at their prices.
- Toro did not taste like realPaulVIPDined on 1/23/2014Toro did not taste like real toro... for $18 per order. Some items are really good here. The hand rolls are the best. But it's just as expensive as Nobu...
- Hidden Gem with amazing sushiVikingVIPDined on 1/7/2014One of the most innovative and talented sushi menus in LA. Must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just go!seeleystuDined on 12/16/2013I travel to LA often and was looking for a great Sushi restaurant. Fish was incredible fresh, rolls were creative and flavorful. Must have the edamame sautéd in sesame soy-unreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDanieleISDined on 12/13/2013Delicious lunch...Kale salad, tofu, sushi...barracuda...miso soup and mochi ice cream. Service hurried, not very attentive. Would definitely be back for the food!Special Features:
- Mediocre sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/10/2013Sushi chef is fun, service is good, but the fish was only okay. For a higher-end sushi place (based on the price), this was not worth it. I will not be back.
- Outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/4/2013Fish is so fresh, and there are a great variety of sushi rolls. Love the toro here, sea urchin is sweet and fresh. Don't like the brown rice for sushi roll, not sticky. Black cod with rice makes a good lunch combo.Special Features:
- we chose the tasting menu.goodfoodluvVIPDined on 11/25/2013we chose the tasting menu. i think, in retrospect, i would have liked to try some of the specialty rolls as well. the tofu was fabulous. i will go back. please change my name back to susie friedman, not toby horn....that is my friend . i have made this request before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/22/2013The quality of the food at Hamasaku is outstanding. The portions are a bit small for the price, but it's worth it, plus it makes for more variety when ordering. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.