Hamamori Restaurant and Sushi Bar
3333 Bear Street, Suite 320
Costa Mesa, CA 92626Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $31 to $50
Hamamori Restaurant and Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://wasasushi.com/hamamori/index.php
- Phone: 7148500880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm, Sunday: 12:00 pm - 6:30 pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm, Friday: 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm, Saturday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm, Sunday: 12:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: James Hamamori
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Hamamori Restaurant and Sushi Bar
Chef James Hamamori presents an inspiring take on sushi with delicate detail and innovative ingredients. Crystal illuminations provide a contemporary and elegant setting for a spectacular dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Hamamori Restaurant and Sushi Bar - Best Restaurants in Costa Mesa ›
Hamamori Restaurant and Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (16)special occasion (11)romantic (8)great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (3)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- hamamori what is the hypedissapointedeaterDined on 9/29/2014what is the hype of hamamori? 545 pm reservation we were the second table to be filled as we entered waiter host no enthusiasm 3 sushi chef at the counter just staring as we went through the menu we wanted to know what was the offering for the omakase menu, sakura momiji and vip sushi waiter recited the lineup instead of up selling us with the set menu he said just go with the happy hour menu i guess that was ta good recommendation but on internet people review about the omakase insisted on the sakura he said okwe ordered from happy hour menu food started to come that's it? not special not memorable 30 min before we were done waiter was talking to another table and never came back to help us another person did disappointing all that hype
- JonCDined on 8/30/2014Hamamori has great service, fresh fish, and modern decor - a great place to take a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!OCCoupleVIPDined on 8/23/2014Went here at recommendation of another Executive Chef & celebrated my Hubby's (who's Japanese) Birthday! It was spectacular & we fell in love with Chef James Hamamori! So fresh, so clean and nothing short of some brilliant creations! Would come back here in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese Joy!DoreenVLDined on 8/9/2014From the spare and clean lines of the restaurant decor to the exquisite presentation of the food, this was a delightful dining experience. We enjoyed the Scottish salmon (topped with finely minced ginger and capers) and vegetable tempura appetizers, and the bouef rissolet was very crisp on the outside, yet savory and soft-textured on the inside. Cold sake complemented our meal, which we finished with the Spicy Tuna roll. Excellent!Special Features:
- A great findFrankVIPDined on 7/27/2014Great find for an early dinner after a matinee at Segerstrom Center for the Arts. The menu offers a wide variety and the Happy Hours Specials are always delicious. Cocktail menu also great.Special Features:
- If You Love Sushi.....babs824VIPDined on 7/1/2014Let's begin by saying, if you prefer California rolls and tempura, this restaurant is not for you. the Chef/Owner, James Hamamori, is truly a culinary artist. My client and I decided to let Hamamori San choose our sushi for us (Omakase style, "Trust me"). I told Hamamori San that the only thing I didn't like was UNI. To which, he replied, "you haven't had MY UNI". Every single piece he served us was spectacular. A perfect balance of the freshest fish paired with a special sauce to enhance, not mask the flavors. We also saw beautiful trays of sushi that were prepared and taken out to the open air patio guests. The restaurant is on the 3rd level of Crystal Court. p.s. the UNI was out of this world.Special Features:
- The following 98 reviews are from the Hamamori Restaurant and Sushi Bar reviews archive.
- good food in a pleasant restaurantzoshDined on 5/24/2014My partner and i enjoyed a lovely meal at this restaurant. The food is very good, the service was excellent, and the ambiance is pleasant. I won't hesitate to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd day in a row...Repeatguest8VIPDined on 5/23/2014Server was very knowledgeable on the menu and made some great suggestions. One small pet peeve was that the female server overseeing the table next to us was extremely attentive to her table: always touching the table and refreshing hot tea; practically every 5 mins...seriously. As for our male server, he seemed to be quite forgetful and each time (no kidding) would have to request multiple times and constantly remind him to refresh our hot teas. It got to be quite annoying. Sometimes, it's the little things that can tick people off. Yes, it was a bit of an annoyance to be honest. To see the table next to us having phenomenal service while us here, spending over $300+ and have mediocre service is not cool.Special Features:
- Loved our serverRepeatguest8VIPDined on 5/22/2014She had a very pleasant demeanor and was very attentive to our table. We were there for lunch and it was pretty busy; surprisingly. Food is good but do go with a thick wallet.Special Features:
- Serene settingDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 5/17/2014This place is decorated very bright and white, nice looking place, unfortunately I do not like sushi otherwise I'm sure this place is just wonderful as everything looked to be prepared fresh. I had the crab rolls which were pretty good, I just didn't realize that sushi was the star of this restaurant. Go if you love sushi.
- Okay sushi for being in a mallThomasDined on 4/25/2014Food quality was okay, service was friendly, price was fair. Too many options for sushi nearby, but okay to get a quick bite if you're shopping.
- Costa Mesa gemLuluDined on 4/23/2014Extraordinary shopping mall restaurant. Not very busy for a Wednesday night. Fresh , tasty fish and interesting preparation. We loved the sashimi.... Tried the fried calamari, sea beam platter , mushroom salad.... All succulent. But expensive......Special Features:
- SashimiFriederVIPDined on 4/23/2014Excellent sashimi and very polite service. Will eat there again.Special Features:
- Very innovative!SunlovrmapVIPDined on 4/2/2014Was lucky to catch the end of Happy Hour so we could try many of the appetizers. Food was amazingly fresh and the presentation is just beautiful. The prices are high though, be forewarned!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/2/2014We had a pretty " cold" waitress, not saying she was mean, but, she did not show any enthusiasm to show the menu, when we asked abt Japanese tea, she either not know anything or did not want to take any effort to explain . I disagree the other review said it's a high end Japanese restaurant but nice for a restaurant at a quiet corner in a shopping mall, the food was not too impressive, but not too bad, the miso soup was good , not too salty , the salmon was just abt right , fully cooked as I wished but still tender . The cold waitress asked if we want anything else, but did not mentioned desert, so we went other places for sweets . Drove one hour there , but very disappointed .
- One of my favorite JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/3/2014One of my favorite Japanese restaurants. The flavorings added to the sashimi fish are unique and do not detract from the flavors of the fish. Service is great at the tables, but at the sushi bar, you get a chance to interact with the chefs and maybe get some combinations that are not on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Sushi.LVFoodFanDined on 3/3/2014The quality and the taste of the sushi was outstanding. Especially the Toro, Hamachi and Scallops. Some of the sauces used are unique and quite tasty. I'd do here for the food only, the ambience and vibe is very quiet at dinner time. Recommended for sushi eaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Japanese Food at the MallhappymontyeatsDined on 3/2/2014We are frequent diners here and often order the omakase. Some of the sushi is quite innovative and there are delicious appetizers to choose from. The service is quite relaxed during non busy times so you can sit and enjoy the company you are with. The desserts are also quite delicious with a Japanese flair to "traditional" dessert-- such as yuzu cheesecake or kabocha flan. Overall, Hamamori impresses me with quality Japanese food in a mall.Special Features:
- very good - location bit of supriseRoboPDXVIPDined on 2/25/2014Had a great meal here while on travel and staying near SNA. However - the location being in the third floor of a busy mall took us by surprise. We decided to carry on - ordered some warm apps, followed by omakase sushi and dessert. Everything was very good - a happy meal. happy to recommend esp if you're nearby as we were quite happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi in the mall, and its goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/19/2014Tucked in a corner of the mall, close to an escalator, the location is perhaps not auspicious. You can sit on a sort of patio that puts you inside the mall--strangely pleasant enough--or go inside and promptly forget your location. The sashimi and sushi are top notch, and the small warm plates range from the familiar but well done (e.g., tempura) to the unusual and innovative (crispy pork belly, shiitake frites, etc.). Good deals on drinks and small plates at happy hour. Service is attentive and not overly boisterous--no one yelling "Irasshaimase!" here.Special Features:
- some hits but mostly mehhhhbigeaterDined on 2/14/2014I think the food is pretty elegant and clean. Creative and interesting as well. However, just not satisfying on that level that makes you crave more. If anything, simply too boring and bland from a flavor perspective. Clean but not flavorful. Also, the setting is terrible. Inside the mall? Mehhh. I hate that atmosphere.
- Valentine's Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Went here for Valentine's Day for Omakase. The food was ridiculously good. Couldn't complain one bit and the chef was very nice. The place wasn't overtly romantic so maybe not ideal for this holiday but for a birthday or some other special occasion would be perfect.Special Features:
- Dinner consisted of variousjanamcbealDined on 2/8/2014Dinner consisted of various rolls, sashimi and a pork belly dish. All were perfect! And the service from the hostess, our waitress and her busser was great. Each were extra friendly and helpful with the menu. We'll be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great sushivegasvicDined on 1/26/2014This is an elegant, authentic Japanese restaurant with fresh well prepared dishes. We had both back cod and salmon teriyaki as well as several sushi dishes. The oysters were served with a unique sauce. In short a great experience! After dining one can shop at South Coast Plaza, one of the premier malls in America. What a way to spend the day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/9/2013I can't understand the great reviews. The service was amateur, sushi was good, not phenomenal, some appetizers were minimally warm.
- ServicePaulionhuDined on 11/2/2013I reserve a table where is quiet and I can see a view for my mother birthday. But when we get there they put us outside of the restaurant and there wasn't any view. They put us right in the booth sitting next to other people. My mom were really upset. So I have to ask the hostess if we can be seated inside the restaurant and she finally got us a table in the inside. The other busser/host, he was very rude when he saw us walk in. He gave us a snobby look just because we look like mediocre customers. He didn't even bother help clean up the table or set up the table. I don't like his attitude.
- If you can afford it, it is great.CarlSDined on 9/30/2013The quality of the food is great, but the amount of food was close to a smaller portion (Japanese style) rather than unforgivingly big "American" style. If you are more comfortable with diet plan friendly meal instead of Cheese cake factory portion. this is the place to go. Just a side note, maybe due to its price and the location, you will not see much of an average Joe here. Most of the people were somewhat dressed up with their neckties, even though there wasn't any dress code for this restaurant.Special Features:
- The best sushi we've ever had.TongPhanDined on 9/5/2013My wife and I have been to most of the top named sushi bars around. Nowhere except Hamamori has delivered what we believe is the best sushi bar in town. James Hamamori made the most delicious and perfect bites and paired our meal perfectly to our champagne and wine. There is nowhere else my wife and I will have sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time to this restaurantJohnVIPDined on 8/28/20132nd time to this restaurant in the last 60 days. They don't publish a lot of their rolls and I was told that just request what you want and they will prepare it. The issue with that is that you don't know the cost of what you are ordering. Still a positive experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- splits are how muchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2013So we wanted a glass of Champagne for our anniversary each. We figured two splits would do it..the menu said $25 for a bottle of champagne, but a split. But thats what we were charged. So as to not ruin our evening, we let it go. The food is great, but that was not very good....won't order drinks there again...
- SplendidvegasvicDined on 8/17/2013We love the food, ambience, and the personal attention of Chef Hamamori. This restaurant is not to be missed!Special Features:
- Good food and service. NiceJohnVIPDined on 7/31/2013Good food and service. Nice to see sushi being prepared by Japanese Sushi Chefs.Special Features:
- Impeccable FishJophineDined on 7/19/2013Freshest sushi I've ever had. Melt in your mouth, super high quality. Amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iron Chef Worthy Cheflskesq95VIPDined on 6/1/2013We are regular fine diners -- 1-2 or even 3 times per week. We're extremely experienced in fine dining and really enjoy the experience. Hamamori not only didn't disappoint, but was seriously over the top -- especially for Japanese cuisine. We enjoyed several different courses and dishes, one better than the next. I have never thought or said this before, but the chef here is Iron Chef worthy -- no doubt about it. The food and service were 6 stars out of 5; extremely impressive --and that's coming from a couple of serious foodies. Kudos to the owner and chef! Would highly recommend to fellow foodies.Special Features:
- The food quality is fantasticmarktDined on 5/29/2013The food quality is fantastic and the setting is quiet enough to conduct a business lunch or a romantic outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Japanese FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2013Yes, it's in a mall, but the modern elegant design and the creative presentation of the food makes this a special restaurant. The food was as pleasing to the palate as it was to the eye.I highly recommend Hammamori.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood was extremely fresh.harrynDined on 4/28/2013Seafood was extremely fresh. Great presentation,creative dishes, knowledgeable waitstaff, everything was delicious, my first time but it won't be my last.Special Features:
- Refreshing to the palet withOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2013Refreshing to the palet with layers of taste and textures. Complete artistry,Special Features:
- The best sashami ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2013We had a great dinner, tried the asparagus, shiitaki frites, hamachi with himalayan salt, and spicy tuna rolls. All were extrordinary, the hamachi divine. Will go back whenever we're in the area.Special Features:
- The food here is interesting.IanSkogDined on 4/5/2013The food here is interesting. Not just rolled up fish that you can get almost anywhere in the country. The restaurant is very pretty inside. Unfortunately, we were seated on the patio, out in the mall. Good, all the same.Special Features: