213 Windward Ave
Venice, CA 90291Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hamasushi.com/
- Phone: 3103968783
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Happy Hour Patio Bar: 5:00pm - 7:00pm Mon-Fri
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Joseph Bracero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Our renown Catering Chef Jason Levine, can accommodate both large corporate functions as well as small, intimate gatherings in your home. We have a menu selection for every size and budget.
- Private Party Facilities: Contact us to schedule your next private party.
- Private Party Contact: Kat Stewart 3103968783
- Entertainment: We encourage guest participation in our famous Birthday and last call for sushi songs! We also feature 2 huge projection screens and 3 flat screen TVs on the patio which play everything from old surf movies to the playoffs!
A word from Hama Sushi
Hama Sushi is a landmark restaurant located in the heart of Venice. Serving the freshest, most authentic sushi creations and French inspired fusion cuisine since 1979. Our eclectic clientele, lively atmosphere, innovative world class weekly specials and knowledgably and friendly staff make for an unforgettable dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Hama Sushi - Best Restaurants in Venice ›
Hama Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (12)neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (9)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (6)special occasion (4)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great local sushi placeAngieVIPDined on 10/16/2014Good specials and fish is fresh with reasonable prices.Special Features:
- sushi for surfersdrsurfDined on 10/11/2014Fun atmosphere, great service and sushi, wish there were fewer birthday sing a longs tho..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the timeQualityDined on 10/5/2014Slow service, Bugs around table, very disorganised table seating service.Special Features:
- Fan for 25 years!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Few sushi restaurants can beat Hama in Venice. The fish is fresh... a favorite for decades.. must try the Ika (barbequed squid)!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love Hama Sushi -amazing!HamaJakeDined on 8/22/2014I've been here 100 times. I bring so many different friends and out of towers I love the sashimi and cuisine so much. We had a table of 6 and got really lucky this time. I normally prefer the sushi bar because service isn't always the best when it's a busy night like this past Sat. Our waitress was great though, food came out fast and the food outstanding as always!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been going for yearsyummy1VIPDined on 8/7/2014We have been going to Hama for over 30 years and enjoy their quality sushi and atmosphere. It has changed and expanded and been remodeled, but food is still high quality and location is great fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hama sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014The food was great . We were sat inside at a table that was so small and cramped I could barely fit . There was a person sitting behind me and there was nit enough room for two people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- its ok.SBFoodieDined on 7/5/2014Food was good, but not as great as I would expect for Sushi in LA. Also, back "patio" kinda dingy.. and for what you pay, could have had a higher quality meal somewhere else.Special Features:
- Usually happy....OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/2/2014But this time we were very disappointed in all of our food, with the exception of the crab hand roll. It just didn't seem like the usual fresh sushi we are used to at Hama. Hopefully it was just a bad night, or maybe just a new sushi chef. We will give it another try, but this visit felt like a a waste of money. Hama IS however quite the local scene. Always a good time when sitting at the bar there.
- The following 165 reviews are from the Hama Sushi reviews archive.
- Noisy and bad foodPortlandiaDined on 6/21/2014I choose this restaurant because one of the local person was recommended. It was so noisy and so many obnoxious people were dining and they were very laud. We mentioned the service person she said there is nothing she can do. Food was way below average. I don't recommend this restaurant at all.
- Hama Sushi was disappointingCAtravellerVIPDined on 5/17/2014We dined here for the first time after living in the area for 10 years. It was just okay for $118 before tax and tip (2 of us and nothing fancy ordered). We tried it, checked off the list, no need to go back.
- Ok ExperienceAHHADined on 5/16/2014We met up here with some friends that we haven't seen in a while. The place itself was located in a great spot but you do have to valet park because there is no parking. This would be a great place for people to walk to if they lived in the area. The atmosphere was vibrant but so much so that it was difficult to hear conversation at the table. The host who seated us placed us in the 'quieter' area...but it was not. The sushi and food itself was OK. Nothing out of ordinary. They did have a Strawberry Roll which I've never tried before. It was good but not worth the money. Overall I would go back to this place if I was in the area, however, I don't think I would make it a destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi & Great ServiceDEHBDined on 5/2/2014We called the restaurant to let them know we were running late and that we had two extra people in our party. Despite and insanely busy Friday night, they accommodated us and had a great table waiting when we arrived. The server was excellent as was the sushi. Highly recommend.
- Sushi must be freshSteveDined on 4/25/2014I have had very good experience at this restaurant in the past and I used to think of it as one of the best sushi restaurants in LA, but unfortunately, the last two visits were disappointing for one big reason: The sushi was not fresh. It had a fishy smell that you only get from fish that isn't fresh, and considering the prices, I didn't expect to have this problem. Everything else was good, it is a nice fun place to go, but I won't be going there anymore to eat sushi.
- Ok experienceRuthHDined on 4/20/2014I think the atmosphere really effected the overall dining experience. The dining room was cold and members of the party were uncomfortable.
- The service and energy better...malibuskiDined on 4/5/2014than the food.Blair and Molly took great care of us but there is much better sushi to be had in LA and Malibu.Fun place to party and food is decent but not for aficionados by any means.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SushiFrankVDined on 3/25/2014overall a very good address for well-prepared sushi, sashimi etc.Food is nicely presented too as it should be. Fish is very fresh. Only drawback is that the online reservation made no distinction between the eating area under the awning (noisy) versus the brick and mortar dining room (quiet). Our party would have preferred to dine in the quiet area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience.sushiluhverDined on 3/24/2014Went during happy hour. Amazing price on appetizers $4-$6, then sushi rolls for $5, and $1 off drinks. Service was great, food was great and I will definitely be back next time I visit California (Venice)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, lively scene, but...LunchieDined on 3/8/2014wear earplugs. Had a birthday gathering on a Saturday night. Not smart on my part. The service and food were very good, but my ears are still ringing. The table behind apologized more than once for their extremely loud partying. I'll go back mid week when it's not so wild.Special Features:
- Good Food!LisaDined on 3/1/2014We went after not being there for years and it was still terrific! The noise level was a bit high but hey, it is all about birthdays sometimes!Special Features:
- Great SushiRolandofGileadDined on 2/14/2014Great sushi, plain and simple, and at a good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, not-so-great pricesbelladDined on 1/25/2014I visited Hama Sushi at the Windward Circle location (in Venice) last Saturday night and was quite disappointed with the lack of Happy Hour menu when seated INSIDE the bar, but not AT the bar. The other location (on Wilshire Blvd.) provides Happy Hour throughout the restaurant and for the quality of the food, the Happy Hour prices are just right. Although the service was really great at the Windward Circle location, the food was definitely not worth the price - $19 for a specialty roll that wasn't all that special, 5 pieces of Yellowtail Sashimi for $15, and $15 for a basic spicy tuna roll? Sorry but, I've had better. If I return to this location, you can bet I will be sitting at the bar.Special Features:
- Always satisfyingDaveHVIPDined on 1/19/2014My family loves Hama. Great sushi is always extremely fresh, and the servers are always helpful. Our server tonight seemed a little preoccupied, but hey, we all have off days. We had a great time, amazing food, and will return to Hama Sushi again in the near future.Special Features:
- OK food -- Creative RollsHomecook100VIPDined on 1/17/2014This was our first time here so the number of items we've tried is limited. I had the beef gyoza which was supposed to be pan steamed, but seemed like it was fried. I had one of the specialty rolls which was pretty good. we also ordered tempura which was a bit too greasy. My wife's teriyaki chicken was OK. The service was quick and the staff is very friendly. They also feature a very large collection of cold Saki's. We may try this again because of the location and also just one try isn't really a fair test. But bottom line there are better, comparable priced Japanese restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Great imaginative Sushi andspritzVIPDined on 1/16/2014Great imaginative Sushi and fantastic happy hour. Has a big tv screen but play surf movies, also can sit in dining area rather than bar area and have no tv but no happy hour. I love to go to the end of happy hour order a few things and work my way into a couple speacial rolls. When in Venice go to this great neighborhood restaurant. its always fun great service and happy.Special Features:
- This is one of my go-to sushimiaK822VIPDined on 1/14/2014This is one of my go-to sushi spots where it has a friendly and relaxed vibe. The food is tasty, always fresh, and the flavors are consistent. I love sitting at the sushi bar and watching the sushi chefs make the dishes and there's such always great energy flowing at the sushi bar. I love their shiso lemon roll, surf and turf with yellowtail, and always finish off the meal with the baked blue crab hand-roll. If you can take the heat ask for a side of their habanero sauce to dip your rolls in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yuma Hamayummy1VIPDined on 1/4/2014We love this restaurant and have been going for past 25 years. It is fun and yummy - some terrific dishes that are not on the menu so ask - and enjoy on your birthdaySpecial Features:
- The food is very tasty andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013The food is very tasty and fresh. There could be a more vegetarian entree choices so everyone feels the're eating a complete meal together. We would dine there more for happy hour if there were full bar drinks. Would like more choice other than beer and sake with my sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Jason ROCKSOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/17/2013If you go, sit at the sushi bar and let Chef Jason take care of you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Helpful HostessOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2013I managed to convince her to hold onto my luggage while I walked the beach before my dinner reservation, which was a huge benefit to me and much appreciated. Food was excellent, and menu (food and beverage) interesting. Service was relaxed but quite good. Had a great evening meeting my friend there. The quasi outdoor seating was very nice.Special Features:
- amma amma hamaspritzVIPDined on 10/18/2013Yummy sushi the happy hour is amazing and fancy rolls even better. Very venice place a gem.Special Features:
- Hidden GemLululaDined on 9/20/2013Great, casual restaurant, with tasty food, good service and fun vibe ! The specialty rolls are amazeing, I love the blue crab hand roll and the Ono sushi is done to perfection. Defenitely a favorite place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local spotMarkVIPDined on 8/29/2013Eclectic beach bar look. Bright, energetic. Always a great fall back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old favorite!tripwmcDined on 8/2/2013Hama has been around for some time and they never disappoint. The quality of their sushi is always A1 and the service is great. I would definitely recommend Hama to anyone who is looking for a great place to gather with friends. The outside patio has a tv and I've never really paid much attention to what is playing but it's got a sports bar feel and the inside dining area has your typical sushi joint feel to it. Overall - a great place - we visit quite often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service started out aShebedbDined on 7/24/2013The service started out a little slow but the great food made it worth the waitSpecial Features:
- Surf Sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/29/2013Good sushi, good saki...all set to great old school surf videos. Fun place, fun staff. But word of warning: when they say SPICY they mean SPICY. The Devil Roll curled some eye brows! And make sure you ask for the not-on-the-menu Live Prawms. As pure as you can get and the crispy heads are a great treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Sushi in the Heart of VenicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013Great atmosphere and well-priced sushi make for a fun dinner spot in the heart of Venice. Don't expect world class sashimi, but try the rolls and special preparations. Great sake and wine list. Indoor sushi bar and tables create a very different ambiance from the fun and loud outdoor patio with huge projection screens showing surf films and a fun bar.Special Features:
- great for a coworkers dinner outOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/16/2013Took a group of co-workers here while we were on a business trip from NY. Everyone had a great time. Food was great, service too. I have been coming here since 1999 and always enjoy myself.Special Features:
- Love!RazzaliciousDined on 4/13/2013My favorite sushi spot on the west side, love!!! Best sushi, great neighborhood atmosphere, friendly service.Special Features:
- Hama has become our go-toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2013Hama has become our go-to place for a casual, relaxed sushi and sake dinner. We travel a lot and live in Santa Monica so it's where we go on the way home from an LAX pick-up. Food is impeccable, service relaxed and efficient, and it lacks the usual sushi house cliches, feeling a little more like a neighborhood bar. The outside room is noisier and more bar-ish (which is fine by us). he inside room is quieter but still energetic. If you want an adventure, tell your server how much you want to spend and ask the kitchen to send out what's interesting that night!Special Features: