55 Cinema Lane
Saint Simons, GA 31522Neighborhood:
St. Simons Island
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.halyardsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (912) 638-9100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm. Thursday - Saturday: 6:00 pm - 10:00pm. Halyards will open earlier for your special function.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Christian Hattemer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Halyards has an experienced catering crew to meet your needs and surpass your expectations. Event Coordinator Jessica Smith will organize your event to include delicious food, tasty beverages, rental equipment, tents, locations, service staff, and entertainment if you wish. Whether it be a low country boil on the beach, an intimate dinner for twelve, or a wedding reception with your 250 closest friends, Halyards will create an extraordinary event to remember. Visit halyardscatering.com for more information and menus or visit halyardsriverhouse.com to see our new waterfront venue.
- Private Party Facilities: Halyards has an intimate private dining room with a single harvest table seating up to fourteen guests and a patio in our courtyard under an awning. Chef Christian has created menus to choose from or he will design a menu to your attain your culinary goal for the evening. Chris Maxwell can pair wines or order in your favorite grape juice to indulge your senses. This "smart" room has its own audio/video package available, it own entrance, wireless internet, a flat screen television, and a smart jack so your lap top can be seen and heard by all of your guests. If this room is not large enough for your event, Halyards can arrange for you to buy out the entire restaurant for the entire evening or just a portion of the night.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Smith/Dave Snyder 9126389100
- Entertainment: Halyards is located across the parking lot from Island Cinemas Movie Theater. Park once to have dinner and a movie.
- Special Events: Halyards participates in The Taste of Glynn annually to raise funds for the Amity House, occasionally has wine tastings, supports the St. Simon's Land Trust at the Oyster Roast, supports Cystic Fibrosis annually, and helps the Boys and Girls Club.
- Cross Street: Frederica Road
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet service is available Monday through Saturday beginning at 6:30. Also available in front of and to the side of Halyards is a secure, large, well lit parking lot. If you would like to drop off your guests at the front door, pull up under our porte-cochere to keep them warm and dry.
A word from Halyards
Halyards on St. Simons has been redefining Island Cuisine for 11 popular years. The Island's unrivaled see-and-be-seen dinner spot for locals who know and for coastal visitors who've heard that the Seared Tuna with a Plum Wine Reduction and the Prime N.Y. Strip with Soy Lime Butter will make your evening. That's not to say you should skip the Creamy Blue Crab Bisque or the nightly specials. The atmosphere is casually elegant(coozy lounge furniture in the courtyard and under the awning), the welcome warm (usually by name), the service crisp and attentive, the wine cellar vast (7 Wine Spectator Awards) and the comfortable bar hip and hopping. The menu is the brilliant handiwork of Chef/Owner Dave Snyder that changes seasonally and is bold, creative and gloriously rewarding. To be sure you're pleased, Dave roams the front of the house for comments when he's not out fishing for your dinner. As you would expect at a restaurant of Halyards' caliber, reservations are a good idea.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Halyards - Best Restaurants in St. Simons Island ›
Halyards reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (60)fit for foodies (59)neighborhood gem (44)romantic (40)notable wine list (30)good for groups (23)vibrant bar scene (19)hot spot (12)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (7)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great restaurantJaylassiter31558Dined on 11/22/2014Awesome wreckfish! My wife and I had a truly memorable dinner at Halyards this past weekend! Service, food, ambiance everything was spot on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always come back...SwimmerDined on 11/19/2014Eat here every time we're in St Simons. Consistently delicious and always great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectCarolBarrelDined on 11/14/2014superb service and even better food, but even with our reservation, we were seated next to a server/ service area near the restaurant entrance so the ambiance was negatively affected by that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halyards exceeded my expectationslowcountrycalmDined on 11/7/2014I do not usually write reviews, but my dinning experience at Halyards exceeded my expectations at every level.Special Features:
- WonderfulSamsonDined on 11/1/2014Always a great experience!Delicious, inventive and interesting food along with superior service. Can't be beat! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A WinnerBrentielouDined on 10/31/2014We love Halyards and try to eat there at least once when we visit St. Simons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the drive from Jekyll I.PaulVIPDined on 10/31/2014Not a bad place but not worth a 30min drive. It must be good for locals to eat but not a great choice for visitors to the region. My wife and I would never return to this restaurant. All other places we eat during our 4 day stay in the area were outstanding.
- Excellent Food and ServiceNapleschefVIPDined on 10/27/2014We were looking for something other than deep fried seafood on St. Simons Island and we're glad the reviews led us to Halyards. Excellent service from the moment we entered, decent wine list with good values and a well thought out menu with some interesting choices. The Crab Bisque and Roasted Beet Salad were both fantastic. Our server recommended the Black drum with oysters which was amazing. The flank steak was cooked perfectly and very delicious. A substitution of mashed potatoes for sweet potatoes was accommodated graciously. Great food and well worth the visit. The only negative is that the lighting was a little harsh. The ambience would be greatly improved with some candlelight on the tables.Special Features:
- A "Don't Miss" when on St. SimonsPuliceSquadDined on 10/25/2014Meeting up with friends from California on vacation at Sea Island, we were searching for a fun, energetic bistro with a good energy and fantastic food, and Halyards came highly recommended....now, we know why! The food was outstanding, the service right on cue, and the ambience is exactly what we were looking for - upscale without being stuffy. We will not miss a dinner at Halyards everytime we are in town from now on!Special Features:
- Wonderful Evening-Delicious DinnerluvssiDined on 10/25/2014This was our second visit to Halyard's and we were not disappointed…it was a wonderful evening from start to finish. We received a warm welcome and were seated very quickly…reservations are a good idea!! The restaurant has a lively atmosphere with attractive yet relaxed decor. Our server was very attentive and made great suggestions for wine, appetizers, etc. Everything was delicious! We especially loved the Cream of Green Tomato Soup, Wontons, Short Ribs, Crab Cakes, Thai Chicken Pot Pie, Creme Brûlée and Berry Cobbler!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite island dining spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/24/2014Inventive food, attentive service but not hovering, lovely interior. Just 5 stars all the way around. Thank you, Chef Dave!Special Features:
- Always on our listfinikyVIPDined on 10/20/2014We try to get here every visit on the island, they never disappoint! The small plates are the best, then you can try multiple itemsSpecial Features:
- food reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014My snapper was good but not completely cooked in the banana wrap so had to send it back.Special Features:
- Annual favoriteMypicDined on 10/13/2014We visit Halyard's each year for our anniversary. Changing menu does not gaurentee your favorites will be there, and they had sold the last ribeye by the time we arrived (8pm), but the flounder and hanger steak were flavorful, moist, tender, and an eclectic combination ( flounder w/ beets). Appetizer a bit greasy ( super thin cut blackened green tomatoes) , but overall Halyard's is consistently top notch with great service, ambiance, lovely wines, and rich desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly Good FoodLobsterLoverDined on 10/13/2014This was the third time for us at Halyards. Every time we visit St. Simons or Jekyll Islands we eat at this restaurant. They are very hospitable, accommodating and the atmosphere is perfect for conversation. We always enjoy the food, yet this time we missed peanut succotash. The only part of the meal that disappointed me was the chopped salad. I would still recommend and return to Halyards the next time we visit the Georgia Sea Islands.Special Features:
- Do Not Miss It!!!HighEndFoodieDined on 10/10/2014Combined an amazing menu, great wines & cocktails with a knowleable & friendly staff & you get Halyards. The best food on St. Simons!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menujimmDined on 10/2/2014the hangar steak was delicious and my spouses filet was crusty on the outside and med rare in middle-deliciousSpecial Features:
- Best place in Saint Simons!chasfoodloverDined on 9/27/2014All the good in Saint Simons was great but Halyards was fantastic! Clean plates all around our table! The service was awesome and the drinks and dessert were also fabulous. A must do for your Saint a Simons trip or night out on the town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MandBVIPDined on 9/27/2014Good food but disappointing this time. Was there a change of chefs? Chicken livers, friend green tomatoes, tuna, scallops, all good but not great. The chef seems to think every dish has to be pasted to its plate by something mashed. Chicken livers pasted with mashed beans, fried green tomatoes pasted with mashed chives, scallops with mashed potatoes.
- Bridge LoversBridgeLoversDined on 9/27/2014We come to St. Simon to play bridge at the local Bridge Center. We love to eat a Halyards. The service is outstanding and the food is always the best!!Special Features:
- Very NiceJeanVIPDined on 9/26/2014It was a nice restaurant to celebrate our anniversary. Service could not have been better and food was really good.Special Features:
- DisappointingSeamusDined on 9/24/2014I have been to Halyards several times and this was the worse experience we had. The service was incredibly slow. We set for approximately a half hour waiting for the waitress to take our meal order. I ordered a clam appetizer that was cold and my snapper main course was nothing special. Our friends ordered a bottle of wine from their wine list and were told they didn't have it this evening. The price was very expensive for the food and service. Overall very disappointing!Special Features:
- Loved the FoodFrenchLady07Dined on 9/19/2014The food was fantastic! Great restaurant. We tried to have a drink in the bar, but the temperature in there was freezing! I have never been so cold in a restaurant! We got our drinks and took them outside, but if they actually want customers to stay in the bar and have another drink, they need to raise the temperature above freezing! Fantastic crab bisque!Special Features:
- mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014The reviews were outstanding. However, the quality of the food was mediocre at best. I had the Thai inspired blackened snapper. The fish was cooked well, but the coconut rice was just wrong. It looked and tasted like al dente basmati rice and it was swimming in coconut milk and soupy sauces. Just bad. My "spring cocktail" was super bitter and the wrong combinations of flavors. My hubby did not like the pot stickers. He said the skins were just too thick. Also, our fried calamari came sprinkled with mandarin orange wedges. For what? Our server was very friendly.
- JeffandSharonDined on 9/13/2014The meal was wonderful and I would return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dining at HalyardsBigdawg14Dined on 9/12/2014My wife and I have been coming to St Simons Island for at least six years. We always enjoy the great restaurants on the island but we had never considered Halyards until our daughter recommended it. WOW, we never knew what we had been missing. The food was excellent. I have had shrimp and grits numerous times all over the southeast but Halyards' shrimp and grits were the BEST. Service is wonderful and all staff members were very cordial and sincere. A great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our FavoriteZijamom1Dined on 9/12/2014A Chef that clearly loves what he does. Great selections. Not your typical joint. But an incredible dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of St SimmonsDeliciousdinerDined on 8/31/2014Best fine dining on the island. If you're a foodie, it's a great choice. We've dined at Halyard three times and it's consistently great. Very creative cuisine particularly their grouper cake and blackened snapper with mango salsa and basil oil. The menu is seasonal with the freshest produce and fish. Superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A jewel on St. Simon'sFoodie4funDined on 8/30/2014this restaurant is tucked back behind a 'Teeter', but Find it!! the food was very good-- interesting entrees (think rabbit and duck) along with 'standard' seafood options. Preparation was very good and service was quiet good also. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Date night on St SimonsLhgtDined on 8/29/2014We really enjoy going here every time we are in town. It's the night we decide to dress up a little and go out for a great meal. Good menu but we always find the evening specials to be the best bet. Wait staff is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousJaguars12VIPDined on 8/29/2014First time and it was wonderful in every aspect ! A very special place to enjoy dinner !Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Been trying to dine there for years and finally was in the right place at the right time. Lovely! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Rocky04Dined on 8/22/2014Excellent food and service, but there were 4 tables with 6-8 people at each that we're very loud. It was very hard to hear our table mates across the booth.Special Features:
- Had a great evening!DrewDined on 8/16/2014Food was excellent. Great wine recommendation. Staff was very attentive to our special occasion. A little noisy for my taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Island FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014My wife and I loved this place. The shrimp soup and shrimp tacos were awesome. The service was top notch and a fantastic atmosphere? The shrimp and grits and the braised short ribs are a phenomenonal choice, would recommend this place to one and all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinner!GailDined on 8/15/2014Had the best anniversary dinner we've had in a long time! Our server as well as our dinner was outstanding. We enjoyed salads, appetizers, fish dishes as well as steak and found it all perfect. Then we sampled several desserts and were equally pleased. Everyone went away happy. Great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always tremendously goodfromAthensDined on 8/15/2014Haven't been in a few years but going back was as good as memory remembered. Attentive service and great food made for best dinner of any restaurant we had eaten on the Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HalyardsWinendineDined on 8/13/2014Halyards is a foodie Paradise. Stylish with casual elegance. Great friendly staff and the best food on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining on St SimonsLhgtDined on 8/12/2014Great place for a wonderful meal. Perfect for a special occasion. Never disappoints!Special Features:
- Exceptional ServiceHandDRJSVIPDined on 8/9/2014We arrived just prior to our reservation time and we're told our table should be ready soon. When it was not, we were offered a less desirable table or we could wait a little longer. The guests at our table had been there 3 hours. We elected to wait on the better table. After being seated, the waiter apologized first. We were then brought multiple complementary appetizers. Finally the manager came over and also apologized for the wait. None of this was the restaurant's fault. All this concern and great food - Ill certainly go back.I would recommend this to a friend.