Hal's - Buckhead
30 Old Ivy Road
Atlanta, GA 30342Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Hal's - Buckhead
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hals.net/
- Phone: 4042610025
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Bar opens at 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Daniel Garcia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant buy-outs are available. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Sammy or MImmo 4042610025
- Entertainment: Piano Bar featuring a wide variety of music.
A word from Hal's - Buckhead
A restaurant that triumphs in taste over trend, Hal's is not the typical highbrow restaurant so often equated with food of this quality. It is a place of white table cloths, flowers, warm brick, & candlelight.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Hal's - Buckhead - Best Restaurants in Buckhead ›
Hal's - Buckhead reviews from OpenTable diners
227 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (142)vibrant bar scene (102)neighborhood gem (96)notable wine list (82)fit for foodies (80)hot spot (68)romantic (63)good for groups (59)late-night find (26)scenic view (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- FoodladyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014Hal's food and service never disappoints - however, the restaurant is soooo loud, it's really hard to have a conversation with anyone at your table.Special Features:
- Great Food. But overcrowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We arrived about 5 minutes early to our reservation knowing there would be a bit of a wait. We were not seated until 15 minutes after our reservation time. Also, the place is such a hot spot that they have tables everywhere. So we were kind of in a hallway that kept having a lot of people walk by. The food was amazing though. I can see why it takes two weeks to get a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food horrible serverOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/22/2014I come to Hals many times through the year as I feel they have the best steak in Atlanta. I visited this particular evening with 4 other women and from the moment we sat down the we could tell the server didn't want to work with us. We waited over ten minutes before he spoke to the table. I had to wait so long for him to come back once I walked to the bar to buy another glass of wine. He probably assumed all women no tip?? I have no idea but this is the first time I have ever received bad service here. He may have been having a bad day but don't take it out on the customer. Just don't come to work. I will be back just hope I don't have that guy (marcel according to the receipt)
- Great rib eye!Cesar34LVDined on 8/21/2014Service was great, waiter was on top it! The steak was delicious but a little heavy on the salt but worth the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too popularfilouDined on 8/21/2014Best steacks service and wine list in town. But avoid on Thursday nights you could barely get into the bar area and the noise level was horrible. Such a shame when you spend over $100 per person wine included.Special Features:
- DinnerChristinaDined on 8/20/2014Had a reservation so got sat quickly. Large group of business people near us. Got noisier as night progressed. Bathroom issue weird. Almost in kitchen while you waited. Felt extremely rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Atlanta's Best SteakhousesMarkfromAtlDined on 8/18/2014Hal's is always consistent with high quality drinks, steaks, and seafood. Pay particular attention to the chefs specials as they are outstanding!!! I highly recommend Hal's for a business dinner or a place to do with your significant other. It has a great bar with piano player. Very vibrant place. I wouldn't suggest it for kids a night as it more an adult night spot.Special Features:
- Amazing food!sassyjackyDined on 8/18/2014By far one of the best Ribeye's. I would pass on adding Oscar next time, as the steak did not need any assistance. Seafood was fresh and excellent presentation. We will be back.Special Features:
- Maybe the best steak ever!HarryDined on 8/16/2014I've eaten at lot of great steak houses (across Atlanta and nationally) but the filet here was hard to beat. If I had to rank Atlanta's best steak restaurants best purely on the food, I'd have to say Hal's, Mckendricks, and Pampas are the best by far. I really enjoy going to Chops, Bones, and some of the other well know steak places, many of which are more epensive than the ones above, but Hals, McKendricks, and Pampas have the steak and sides. I'll go back to Hal's soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScrumptiousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Come here every time we are in Atlanta. Food is awesome. Very noisy but we just go with the flow. Can't deal with the smoke downstairs but upstairs is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulouseeeeeDined on 8/16/2014oysters lebow for me ... gumbo for him .... steak oscar for me .... blackened steak for him .... strawberry cheese cake for dessert .... all grand ..... hal's absolutely lived up to its reputation .... great dinner!Special Features:
- My Favorite Restaurant in AtlantaHacSscDined on 8/15/2014Hals has been my favorite in Atlanta since my wife first took me there 9 years ago when we moved here. Food, service, ambiance all fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DissappointsGeorgiaTravelerDined on 8/12/2014As a former traveling business man I have eaten in some of the finest restaurants in the country on the company expense account. Now that I spend my own money the only place for a steak is Hal's. From the great looking staff that meets you at the door, to the super attentive bartenders and finally the professional waiters that serve you, there are few places that compare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off my listJilestalVIPDined on 8/9/2014This was my favorite steak restaurant but no more. The food was mediocre. The noise was overwhelming and the service didn't match up to the price point. The waiter forgot to bring out some of our food, but it was still on the bill. The table next to us was ridiculously loud, but so was the whole restaurant. Next time we want steak we will go to Little Alley's.
- Excellent steaks!!LibertasticDined on 8/9/2014One of the best steaks in town. I didn't really love the presentation of the mashed potatoes in a tiny bowl next to the plate... it would have been better on the plate with the steak. Bread was delicious. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and wine list. We were seated at a two person table (seated across from each other), and it was very difficult to hear each other talk. They definitely pack in as many seats as possible!Special Features:
- Noisy HalsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014Food was good, service was good but I will NOT return! The noise level was unbearable!!!!!!!Special Features:
- loveATLdiningVIPDined on 8/6/2014Well it's just the very best steak anywhere. One thing we did notice, however, - the waiter asked one of us if we wanted anchovies on our caesar salad. We said sure (aren't they kinda a part of a caesar?) bill comes and you charge $3 for anchovies! Now really - that's a bummer. Just up the price of the salad. Very bad move! After all we've had bills there that come to $1100.00! Gimme a break - $3 for anchovies, really? :(Special Features:
- ConsistentJCCRDined on 8/4/2014Hal's has always been a restaurant that could be counted on to provide a consistent and elegant dining experience. I used the restaurant many times to bring business clients there, knowing they would be impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GuyBVIPDined on 8/2/2014Steaks at Hal's are great, the noise level is the worse I have ever experienced. Allowing people to smoke at the bar is not my idea of a smart option. Food that taste like tobacco ash?! The service was poor
- My favorite steak house in AtlantaMrsTGSVIPDined on 8/2/2014I have tried all of the most well-known and well-hyped steak places in Atlanta (yes, all of 'em) over the last 2 years, and Hal's has come out on top. The steak isn't overly seasoned, it is always cooked perfectly and all of their cuts are fantastic. I just took my dad for his birthday, and he is hooked as well. I have never had anything other than beef here and so I can't accurately review all of their other dishes, but as I have seen them and seen people react to them, they seem to be on par with the famous filet. The sides are wonderful, too. My favorites are the barbant potatoes with blue cheese, white truffle macaroni and cheese and the sautéed mushrooms. The bread pudding is delish, and large enough to share. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When do we go back....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014As always, Hal's was an amazing experience. My son wanted to dress up in the tuxedo we were married in so we find a nice restaurant where he could do this. Little did we know we now have an 8 year old that is in love with Hal's steak as much as we are! Service was impeccable and the food was just as great. The highlight for us was meeting Hal as we walked in and him complimenting my son for looking so fancy.Special Features:
- Better than simply old schooljoknowsatmosphereDined on 7/31/2014My husband's 63rd birthday. Wanted an old-school vibe, but great food. Got both, but were super pleased with our waiter. He was helpful, attentive, and best of all pleasant. With lots of younger folks around, this was fun. Better than just "old-school"...Hal's will be around for a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Restaurant.BetsyVIPDined on 7/30/2014It was my husband's birthday. Had the special oysters with the butter and garlic and bone-in filet. Couldn't be better. Our waiter was the perfect person for us. Let us take our time and enjoy each course. Then for the piece de resistance, brought a drop dead birthday dessert!! Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service lackingJustinPDined on 7/30/2014Food and steaks were great, prepared well and to our temp liking. Service was just OK we waited over 25 min to place our app order, then waited over 20 mins with empty plates in front of us and had to actually stop another waiter to have them cleared. Stretched a hour and a half dinner into a little over 2 and a half hours. Hal's competes with a good deal of steak houses at the same price point. You can get comparable food quality and better service elsewhereSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/30/2014Wonderful as usual!!! Food and service were at their normal peak. Server, Roy, did an outstanding job. All of their wait staff are extremely professional and polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fulguratusDined on 7/29/2014Glowing local reviews, not so bright. Serviceable steak, good portions of meat, over-powering Au Poivre sauce. Lackluster Caesar salad and a garlic mash that looked more like cream of wheat than whipped potatoes.Special Features:
- It it what it is.. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/28/2014Great food... Great service... Great place... Great bar....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No place like Hal's for steaksRussDined on 7/26/2014I traveled for 38 years and entertained at some of this nations top steakhouses, however, every time I eat at Hal's I am totally amazed by their steaks. They are so tender that you question why they provide a steak knife. Outstanding!Special Features:
- Damn good steakhouseBigFamilyDinnerDined on 7/26/2014The food is always cooked to desired personal preference. The quality of food is consistently great compared to other steakhouses in the Atlanta area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not for a romantic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Our waiter was very attentive. For the appetizer ,I ordered Grilled Oysters. What a treat ! Main course : My husband ordered the strip steak. I ordered the "Cowgirl". Having great expectations @ $50 per steak , I have to say I was greatly disappointed. We actually switched steaks to see what each other thought. The strip steak was so salty, it was ruined. According to my expectations I imagined the "cowgirl" steak melting in my mouth. To my great disappointment , it was too tough. The side dish I chose was the Angel hair pasta. One bite of that was all I could eat,as it tasted like it came out of jar.Special Features:
- Best steak in atlOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014Great food, great service but sit upstairs in the patio or your gonna have a tough time making conversation. Both main dining rooms upstairs and down can get very loud. The steaks and Mac and cheese are the best.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceTwostepstevieVIPDined on 7/23/2014Really great meal. Server excellent, knowledgable and helpful. Handled gluten free well.Special Features:
- always a pleasureBuckhead4funDined on 7/22/2014by far the best steak house in Atlanta - food is always top shelf - you know what you're getting when you go there to eat great food, service and experience bit pricey but worth it-Special Features:
- Hal'sGiants14Dined on 7/21/2014Best steak dinner in town - was hosting two colleagues from Germany - they both felt this was a superior dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaksEddieBDined on 7/21/2014Celebrated our 36th anniversary at Hal's. Asked to sit upstairs as the noise level was much less than the main floor. My wife, daughter, and I all ordered the Filet. My daughter's first remark was this steak cuts like mashed potatoes. Hardly even needed a knife. Hal's is our favorite steak place in Atlanta and this trip was no different than in the past - superb steaks. Service was very good. Not the most romantic place, but still a lot of fun to eat there. My only complaint is the House Salad leaves a lot to be desired. It reminded me of the old joke about a honeymoon - just lettuce alone. Next time we will get the soup or another selection of their salads.Special Features:
- Dinner at Hal'ssundogDined on 7/19/2014As always, the meal was outstanding! Service was very good, although our server was really busy, and our two top got overlooked a time or two. The noise level is a bit on the high side, and conversation is difficult at moments. Just the same, we would have gone back the next night had they been open. Hal's is at the top of our list for our next trip to Atlanta for certain.Special Features:
- Anniversaries CelebrationfabulouscelebrationspotDined on 7/19/2014Hal's was a great place to celebrate our family's annual anniversaries celebration. Food was fabulous, as was the atmosphere and the service. Highly recommend Hal's as a special spot to celebrate.Special Features:
- Always excellent2HonestVIPDined on 7/18/2014Year after year this neighborhood hideaway delivers excellent food, beautifully prepared and saved. Not a lot of hoop-la just great food. Thank you Hal for knowing who you are and delivering on that.Special Features:
- Good food, Good serviceLoveToEatDined on 7/17/2014The food was good and the service was good. However, the noise level was too loud and the lighting was too dark. I will return but on another day towards the beginning of the week. Clearly, this is the in spot for people on an expense account. This is also a spot for people who want to be seen in the hottest places.Special Features:
- Great Atlanta steakhouse!amberj2007VIPDined on 7/12/2014This is the best steak I've had this far in Atlanta. I know this was also on the Top 10 list in Atlanta as well. Noise level is out of control. If you're expecting a relaxing romantic night, head elsewhere. Service was okay. I assume since they're so busy they forget you're there... did I say I loved the steak?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.