Hal's - Buckhead
30 Old Ivy Road
Atlanta, GA 30342Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Hal's - Buckhead
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hals.net/
- Phone: (404) 261-0025
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Bar opens at 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Daniel Garcia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant buy-outs are available. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Sammy or MImmo 4042610025
- Entertainment: Piano Bar featuring a wide variety of music.
A word from Hal's - Buckhead
A restaurant that triumphs in taste over trend, Hal's is not the typical highbrow restaurant so often equated with food of this quality. It is a place of white table cloths, flowers, warm brick, & candlelight.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Hal's - Buckhead - Best Restaurants in Buckhead ›
Hal's - Buckhead reviews from OpenTable diners
227 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (143)vibrant bar scene (120)neighborhood gem (102)notable wine list (101)hot spot (100)fit for foodies (92)romantic (77)good for groups (72)late-night find (26)scenic view (8)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Just what we needed!!DandJeffJonesDined on 11/22/2014This was a get-away weekend for me and my husband. Hal's was the perfect choice for dinner. EVERYTHING was PERFECT! The service, food, magician, wine, energy, piano man, bar, EVERYTHING was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less Than Impressed!DisappointedDined on 11/21/2014My husband and I decided to go to this restaurant because a commenter on another restaurant site thought they were great for steaks...may be they are, but I had the Duck and it was not good. The skin did not come out crispy as they advertised. They just aren't worth recommending to anyone.
- My favorite suresh houseTheSteakhouseLover1Dined on 11/21/2014I love Hal's and Stoney river was my favorite steakhouse but one I went to Hal's I was in love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal - well made cocktails!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Service, very attentive and not overly so. Food was excellent - Bisque was rich with the right amount of sherry. Steak was cooked as instructed. I was surprised when the Trout Amandine came out fried...but it was still delicious. My wife had Manhattans, I had Martinis with blue cheese stuffed olives. We are picky about our cocktails, but nothing to pick at here - they were made to perfection. We were even surprised by a strawberry cheesecake in celebration of our anniversary. These folks treat you right. All in all a wonderful place to celebrate our25th wedding anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect romantic date to celebrate our anniversaryAdriJonesDined on 11/15/2014My husband and I went to Hal's this past Saturday to celebrate our third wedding anniversary and had a splendid time!!! From the delicious lobster tails to our steaks, creme brulee and delicious drinks - everything was so tasty! This was not our first at Hal's, but a nice reminder of a great romantic spot we had been missing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still going strongMHK6249VIPDined on 11/15/2014Haven't been to Hal's in over a decade. Really enjoyed and plan to go back soon. Food excellent. Service excellent. A little too loud for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE BESTJoeBigAppleDined on 11/15/2014The food was terrific... Cooked to perfection as predicted by our server Chuck was was the best. One of favorite restaurants in ATL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BowlegsDined on 11/15/2014The servicer Mike was top of the line. The food was soooooooo Delicious it will make you slap your momma! Next time I will make sure I get a steak, too I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Hal'sFishermanDined on 11/13/2014Excellent Food - the smoky flavoring of the roasted oysters on the half shell was a fine dining experience. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the wines and helpful in answering questions about the dining choices. Our steaks were prepared to perfection. All the sides were excellent additions to the main dish. The only downside noise level - difficult to have a discussion without making our own contribution to the cacophony. So if you're a foodie and prefer the energy of a full, happy and boisterous gathering, then Hal's can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place and cool atmosphereMStallingsDined on 11/12/2014Great place to have dinner, food is as good as it gets. If you sit near the either bar, it will be loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite steakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/11/2014I've been told by many that this place was great for steaks. Why did I wait so long to go! Now it's my all time favorite. I'll be a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hal's is great go tosteveVIPDined on 11/11/2014For steak, it's always great. Great cuts, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Air-conditioningBeauxDined on 11/10/2014I would highly recommend this restaurant, my server was awesome very detailed and very helpful to us and the kids with decision-making ideas for dinner but my only issue was the AC unit it was so cold it was making my food coldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hals dinner versus drinkskellyDined on 11/8/2014I have frequented Hals for a drink at the bar, but had heard what awesome food there was. We generally go to Bones for special occasions but thought we would try something new. We went to celebrate a birthday for a nice dinner for 2. We had a reservation and were sat right away at a table that was so small and so claustrophobic, I asked for another table. We were sat at another table that was much better. We ordered drinks and I had the escargot that was amazing! However, the atmosphere was so hectic that it was not relaxing. In addition, there was a table next to us with 7 people and it was evident that they were getting all of the attention. Food was good, but I would certainly not go back to dine, but would go for a drink again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still The BEST Steak in Town!!LuvinATLDined on 11/8/2014As always, Hal's continues to have the best Filet I have ever had!! My husband and I consider ourselves beef connoisseurs and continually try the newer restaurants who rate highly for their steaks....Hands down....Hal's wins!! Lisa R.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Nice but very noisy and cramped downstairs. But great food and service. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/5/2014music was WAY WAY WAY too loud upstairs. couldn't converse with my client over a business dinner.Special Features:
- Never disappointsLargo84Dined on 11/3/2014It's a trek to Buckhead for us from the NE suburbs, but we always look forward to a special dinner at Hal's. There were 5 in our party and all enjoyed the food very much (as always).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hals on SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Nice place to be seen. The filet was large but dry, rib eye was outstanding. The waiter tried to Make it right with desert but cheese cake does not replace a filet. Service was great and the other food items were good as wellSpecial Features:
- Great as usualChiliDined on 10/31/2014Oysters, Salad, Filet and NY strip were outstanding. Great service and superb atmosphere.Special Features:
- A Sad ExperienceatlantadinerVIPDined on 10/31/2014Hal's is an old Atlanta establishment and there was a time when it could compare to any great restaurant in the city. We have not been in a few years, and were shocked at the decline. The prices are ridiculously high for such poor food and service.
- DownerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/30/2014This was our first and probably last time at Hal's. It had some things to recommend it: above-average food and a friendly server. But it was overall a big dissappointment. Starters were unexceptional. The fish was very good even if the sides were a bit tasteless. My $50 steak was way undercooked; once fixed, I ate it after the sides were gone and my companion was long finished. That is not much of a dining experience in by book, especially at those prices. We were charged full boat, plus an undisclosed charge for changing a side dish. So it was a real downer, and not someplace to go to enjoy fine dining. Maybe the famous bar scene appeals to some. Happily, Atlanta has plenty of other great steakhouses, so go there instead.
- Best steak in AtlantaJSF22VIPDined on 10/28/2014Period. Nothing more to say. Utterly reliable, always top quality cooked perfectly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/27/2014Went for our anniversary. Food is always good, steak perfectly cooked. Mashed potatoes looked a little congealed on the top, like they had been sitting under the hot lamp, but tasted great. They were kind enough to acknowledge our anniversary, which most places don't do. Didn't feel rushed, but didn't have fabulous service. Waiters were very nice, but wait staff is so busy, that there's not attention to detail/service that you find at some of the other high-end steakhouses in town. I had accidentally dropped some food on the tablecloth, and it wasn't cleaned up - one detail I usually find in higher end restaurants. I have no expectation that someone would clean up MY mess, but it is customary that they do this in high end restaurants.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Great food, and excellent service! However, note that it is a bit noisy, especially on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- AtldineDined on 10/25/2014My expectations were high and the experience fell a little short. The steak was beautiful and delicious but I wish they would have offered a smaller portion, 12oz filet is the smallest offered. The service started out great but our server became super busy at the end and getting our check took 40 mins with us leaving frustrated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding SteaksJGnKTDined on 10/24/2014Reservations on a Friday night, restaurant was very busy. Went to bar and had drinks whiles waiting on for. Bar service was great with and huge selection of Wines. Hostess got us from bar when table was available. Prompt and knowledgeable device from waiter. Both of us got a steak, and both of them were fantastic. I will be back again when i am in the area again.Special Features:
- Fantastic!!ChrisVIPDined on 10/23/2014Our first visit to Hal's, one word incredible. The service was impeccable, they were extremely polite and professional. The food was off the chart. Fun enviroment, and a must place for dinner. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodtekDined on 10/22/2014The bone in steaks are among the best in Atlanta. All sides are great.Special Features:
- Best Food in BuckheadWorkTravelerVIPDined on 10/21/2014During a recent Buckhead visit we ate at a high end chain Steak Houses. We asked hotel van driver what he thought about our choice. He said our choice was OK. He said for his money the best place in Buckhead was Hal's. Boy, was he right! This place was packed with an enthusiastic crowd. We were seated on time. The service was a little slow to get started, but picked up. We started with a lobster appetizer special that was one of the best apps I have ever had. There is an excellent wine list with GOOD affordable wine. We enjoyed the best escargot I have had outside of France. Between all of us there we only had 2 different entree. Filet and Osso Buco. Both were some of the best of each that we have ever enjoyed. GO HERE!Special Features:
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerATLMikeDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at Hal's. I had been once before for a work dinner and it was my wife's first time. This place was better then I remembered and my wife loved it. Service and food were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Steaks...but a bit noisyPresidentsDadDined on 10/17/2014Quite simply THE best steak I have ever had. Service was impeccable. Noise level...a bit too loud to carry on a decent conversation.Special Features:
- Hals is a great Atlanta steakhouseR2D3Dined on 10/17/2014I had a great evening at Hals and the staff is what I expect every staff to be like. Fun, entertaining, and knowledgeable. I enjoyed the complementary bites at the bar before dinner and the conversation I had with other patrons. After sitting down our service was immediate and very professional. The appetizers were excellent, carpaccio and bisque, and we enjoyed a salad course, Hals chopped salad, that was just a tad over dressed for my taste. My date had a gorgeous steak and I went for the lambchops. I was not very impressed with this dish and don't think I'd order it again.They were the smallest chops I've ever had and we're drowned in a sauce and the temperatures were inconsistent. I feel as though that dish could be improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionCW83Dined on 10/11/2014The steak was very good and our server was outstanding. But, I can't say this is the best steak I've ever had. I was a little annoyed they charge you $2.50 for a cup of coffee after eating a $200 meal. It's little things that keep it from being great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but surprisingly bad srvcCalhogDined on 10/10/2014Waiter messed up from beginning to end. Hopefully he was having an off night and this wasn't typical. Messed up wine order, which wasn't too big of a deal, but took exceptionally long . He forgot salads, brought our food after long wait, charged us for two extra glasses of wine, then he left someone else's bill with $200 in cash in it on our table. Was nice waiter, but disaster.
- Great food but too noisy to talkBeenThereVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food was wonderful, but we had a table of 8 and it was so noisy, both upstairs and down (we moved upstairs but it didn't really help), that you could only talk to the person right next to you. We had a great time, but won't go back with a large party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food always!!!WineLoverDined on 10/10/2014With Hal's you can't go wrong. The steaks are excellent. The Chilean Sea Bass is also a favorite. The wine list is superb! Once you experience Hal's, you'll be hooked!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely the Best FiletTWBSSRDined on 10/10/2014On an annual trip to Buckhead we again had one of the best steaks ever. Tender, juicy delicious are a few words to describe the flavor. We recommend sitting upstairs as it is more intimate. The server, Oliver, provided just the right amount of interaction. We shall return and be delighted again.Special Features:
- We love Hal'sLuluVIPDined on 10/9/2014The food is always great and we always have a fun night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulRoccoDined on 10/8/2014Had a wonderful dinner and our Waiter "Scott" was a pleasure. I look forward to going there again.Special Features: