Hal's - Buckhead
30 Old Ivy Road
Atlanta, GA 30342Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Hal's - Buckhead
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hals.net/
- Phone: 4042610025
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Bar opens at 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Daniel Garcia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant buy-outs are available. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Sammy or MImmo 4042610025
- Entertainment: Piano Bar featuring a wide variety of music.
A word from Hal's - Buckhead
A restaurant that triumphs in taste over trend, Hal's is not the typical highbrow restaurant so often equated with food of this quality. It is a place of white table cloths, flowers, warm brick, & candlelight.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Hal's - Buckhead - Best Restaurants in Buckhead ›
Hal's - Buckhead reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (138)vibrant bar scene (108)neighborhood gem (101)notable wine list (91)fit for foodies (87)hot spot (87)romantic (69)good for groups (69)late-night find (26)scenic view (9)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Great food, and excellent service! However, note that it is a bit noisy, especially on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- AtldineDined on 10/25/2014My expectations were high and the experience fell a little short. The steak was beautiful and delicious but I wish they would have offered a smaller portion, 12oz filet is the smallest offered. The service started out great but our server became super busy at the end and getting our check took 40 mins with us leaving frustrated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding SteaksJGnKTDined on 10/24/2014Reservations on a Friday night, restaurant was very busy. Went to bar and had drinks whiles waiting on for. Bar service was great with and huge selection of Wines. Hostess got us from bar when table was available. Prompt and knowledgeable device from waiter. Both of us got a steak, and both of them were fantastic. I will be back again when i am in the area again.Special Features:
- Fantastic!!ChrisVIPDined on 10/23/2014Our first visit to Hal's, one word incredible. The service was impeccable, they were extremely polite and professional. The food was off the chart. Fun enviroment, and a must place for dinner. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014The bone in steaks are among the best in Atlanta. All sides are great.Special Features:
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at Hal's. I had been once before for a work dinner and it was my wife's first time. This place was better then I remembered and my wife loved it. Service and food were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Steaks...but a bit noisyPresidentsDadDined on 10/17/2014Quite simply THE best steak I have ever had. Service was impeccable. Noise level...a bit too loud to carry on a decent conversation.Special Features:
- Hals is a great Atlanta steakhouseR2D3Dined on 10/17/2014I had a great evening at Hals and the staff is what I expect every staff to be like. Fun, entertaining, and knowledgeable. I enjoyed the complementary bites at the bar before dinner and the conversation I had with other patrons. After sitting down our service was immediate and very professional. The appetizers were excellent, carpaccio and bisque, and we enjoyed a salad course, Hals chopped salad, that was just a tad over dressed for my taste. My date had a gorgeous steak and I went for the lambchops. I was not very impressed with this dish and don't think I'd order it again.They were the smallest chops I've ever had and we're drowned in a sauce and the temperatures were inconsistent. I feel as though that dish could be improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionCW83Dined on 10/11/2014The steak was very good and our server was outstanding. But, I can't say this is the best steak I've ever had. I was a little annoyed they charge you $2.50 for a cup of coffee after eating a $200 meal. It's little things that keep it from being great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but surprisingly bad srvcCalhogDined on 10/10/2014Waiter messed up from beginning to end. Hopefully he was having an off night and this wasn't typical. Messed up wine order, which wasn't too big of a deal, but took exceptionally long . He forgot salads, brought our food after long wait, charged us for two extra glasses of wine, then he left someone else's bill with $200 in cash in it on our table. Was nice waiter, but disaster.
- Great food but too noisy to talkBeenThereVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food was wonderful, but we had a table of 8 and it was so noisy, both upstairs and down (we moved upstairs but it didn't really help), that you could only talk to the person right next to you. We had a great time, but won't go back with a large party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food always!!!WineLoverDined on 10/10/2014With Hal's you can't go wrong. The steaks are excellent. The Chilean Sea Bass is also a favorite. The wine list is superb! Once you experience Hal's, you'll be hooked!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely the Best FiletTWBSSRDined on 10/10/2014On an annual trip to Buckhead we again had one of the best steaks ever. Tender, juicy delicious are a few words to describe the flavor. We recommend sitting upstairs as it is more intimate. The server, Oliver, provided just the right amount of interaction. We shall return and be delighted again.Special Features:
- We love Hal'sLuluVIPDined on 10/9/2014The food is always great and we always have a fun night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulRoccoDined on 10/8/2014Had a wonderful dinner and our Waiter "Scott" was a pleasure. I look forward to going there again.Special Features:
- loveATLdiningVIPDined on 10/7/2014You gotta be kidding that anyone claims Ruth Chris, Bones or Chops has anything on Hal's! Hal's is simply the best steak in Atlanta - time after time.Special Features:
- How steaks & dining are meant to behappyDined on 10/6/2014Great ambiance, excellent food...old style cigars and fine wine/bourbon at the bar with stylist piano playing...locals favorite (and those who know steaks)...just as busy on a Monday as a Friday. It's my favorite in ATL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best steak everEndreDined on 10/3/2014Hal's never disappoints!! always the best steak in the city!!Special Features:
- Beware the costDHL1VIPDined on 10/3/2014It appears that Steak Houses have decided that in pricing the sky is the limit and that even outside NYC $50.00 for a steak is the perfect price point!!! Add to that comparable pricing for a piece of fish , up charging for any substitution (e.g. If you want an anchovy in a Caesar salad they will tack on $2.95 even though the recipe calls for it, $4.50 for a child to sub fried potato for spinach & $3.95 for steak sauce) and at evening end the bill will set you back on your heels! We ordered the steak medium rare and it came out raw which meant others at the table were almost through before it came back , & throughout the evening we tired of trying to get a waiters attention. It's a very expensive special occasion or expense account place .Special Features:
- BillWDined on 10/1/2014My favorite place. Mike Gallagher is a great waiter too.Special Features:
- What a steak!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2014Went for our 11th anniversary - early dinner. My wife is a vegetarian so she had the Sea Bass - in her own words - It was AMAZING!! I had a nice rib eye. I hadn't had a good steak in a long time. What a treat. The wine selection - phenomenal! The service - Impeccable! It's a loud environment so I wouldn't recommend it for a "nice quiet dinner", aside from that - Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining for the 4th timeNiecyVIPDined on 9/30/2014This is always a place I would recommend for good food. We normally go when we want a really good steak. AWESOME. This time we were surprised with a remarkable appetizer. They served a deep fried lobster tail with a creamed sauce with crab meat on top. AMAZING. I would have come for that alone. They should make this a regular, a staple. Thank you again Hal's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BurtsDined on 9/29/2014We came to Hal's to celebrate a birthday and everything was excellent. I had the steak and it was outstanding! The service was top notch and everyone from the host to the table bus person were professional and very nice. I will be back and will make sure to tell all of my friends about the wonderful time we had at Hal's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAlexDined on 9/27/2014Hal's never disappoints! Great meal and experience bringing my date for her first Hal's trip.Special Features:
- Best SteakbdaydinnerDined on 9/27/2014Took my girlfriend for her birthday and she ordered a NY Strip and I got Bonein Ribey. The best steak ever. Seasoned very well. Steak just melted in your mouth. Prices very reasonable, service was very good and a little magic show at the end. Very gud nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsLoLoDined on 9/25/2014It's always packed and noisy during the week but the food and service are consistently amazing! Make a reservation to save yourself the wait or not getting in. Great neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Best steaks in AtlantaJSF22VIPDined on 9/25/2014Forget the debate between devotees of the other two steak joints that always are talked about ... for food and cocktails, Hal's is much better. Bring your earplugs, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SherVIPDined on 9/23/2014Food was tasty though somewhat limited options on the wine list. The baked oysters were outstanding. Service also quite good despite the busyness of the establishment.Special Features:
- The best steak in the cityJLinnDined on 9/20/2014I took my parents here while they were in town from Chicago and they loved the ambiance and the food. My step dad smokes cigars so we sat at the bar for about an hour before our reservation and just enjoyed the drinks. The bartenders were also very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceServiceSnobDined on 9/19/2014Visited Hal's one Friday for dinner with my wife. I sat at bar of 20 minutes as I waited for my wife to arrive. As a result, I had a moment to experience both the bar and dining experience. The bar experience was what you would expect at a busy bar. Bartender was attractive and served my glass of wine with expected delays. The initial glass tasted spoiled, but the bartender exchanged w/o hesitation. The sitdown experience was exceptional. My steak was wonderful! Initially, it was cooked more rare than requested, but our server "Roy" recognized it before I took my first bite. Roy, remainded attentive and accommodating throughout the experience. I could not ask for better service. Thank you, Hal's, for a great eat and pleasant experience!Special Features:
- Excellent as always!HH78Dined on 9/19/2014I had been looking forward to a Hal's steak all week..... didn't disappoint!Special Features:
- Classic steakhouseMVE1961VIPDined on 9/18/2014Hal's once again did not disappoint. Great bar scene followed by a great dinner - we ordered filet and bone-in ribeye. However, Hal's would benefit, like most, from lowering their margin on wine. 2-3x retail is annoying.Special Features:
- Too Noisy and DarkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Took a client here on a Wednesday night for a casual business dinner. I was shocked at the amount of people there on a Wednesday. Definitely good for business, but we could barely hear anything because of the loud groups and rowdy bar area. (Not what you expect when you got to a restaurant that is that pricey.) There was a "magician" there to provide entertainment, which I didn't understand because it was mainly adults in the restaurant. Isn't that more of a family restaurant thing? It was also very dark, which made it feel awkward. Food and service was fabulous, but not the best place to have a business dinner.Special Features:
- HalsVerysadDined on 9/13/2014Went to hals to celebrate a birthday and have a romantic evening and a quiet date night in the city without the kids...food was delicious and service was great but the fact that we couldn't hear anything said between us and the large table of gentlemen in shorts and tshirts sitting beside us yelling at the football game 20 ft away that was being show in the bar area killed the moment and made it seem cheap..not what I had in mind for this restaurant. The table was wobbly and they couldn't fix it which made it worse for our $250 bill. Very sad as I had such high expectations..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudLemonDined on 9/12/2014It was my first visit, and I didn't expect the noise level to be so high! It's a place for groups, not a romantic date. The filet Mignon was excellent, but the atmosphere was just too loud.Special Features:
- Great Place for BirthdayAmazedDined on 9/12/2014I took a very good friend of mine for his birthday dinner. I loved the filet and the white truffle macaroni and cheese. I let the restaurant know ahead of time and they brought out this amazing chocolate cake. The waiter was amazingly friendly and funny. Overall our dining experience was amazing.Special Features:
- The Best Steakhouse in AmericaMensaFoodReviewVIPDined on 9/11/2014There may not be a more quintessential steakhouse experience in America than Hal's on a Wednesday or Thursday night. Two levels of blue-blazered-old-southern-big-smile deal making in wood panels and brass fixtures where smoking is still allowed. It's a frat house all grown up, where the beer is replaced with a world class wine list and self grilled burgers have become the incomparable Hal's filets. Ladies are always invited to join in the festivities, but there are no illusions here as to which gender's imagination has conjured the intoxication of this Robber Baron's paradise. I had the Filet Au Poivre medium rare Pittsburgh style with the pappercorns pressed into the meat and the sauce on the side. Doesn't get any better.Special Features:
- Hal and staff do it wellBuckheadDawgDined on 9/11/2014Great spot, probably dine here once a month. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Hal's!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014Over and over we have found the steaks at Hal's to be the best in Atlanta. Our latest visit confirmed our opinion! Friendly staff, fun bar, great steaks and wonderful appetizers, salads and sides.Special Features:
- Excellent!CharlieDined on 9/2/2014Great spot for our business dinner. Excellent food, great service by attentive but not pushy staff. I'll be back.Special Features: