Hal's - Buckhead
30 Old Ivy Road
Atlanta, GA 30342Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Hal's - Buckhead
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hals.net/
- Phone: 4042610025
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Bar opens at 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Daniel Garcia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant buy-outs are available. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Sammy or MImmo 4042610025
- Entertainment: Piano Bar featuring a wide variety of music.
A word from Hal's - Buckhead
A restaurant that triumphs in taste over trend, Hal's is not the typical highbrow restaurant so often equated with food of this quality. It is a place of white table cloths, flowers, warm brick, & candlelight.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Hal's - Buckhead - Best Restaurants in Buckhead ›
Hal's - Buckhead reviews from OpenTable diners
219 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (133)vibrant bar scene (97)neighborhood gem (96)notable wine list (83)fit for foodies (76)romantic (69)hot spot (69)good for groups (59)late-night find (27)scenic view (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- HalsVerysadDined on 9/13/2014Went to hals to celebrate a birthday and have a romantic evening and a quiet date night in the city without the kids...food was delicious and service was great but the fact that we couldn't hear anything said between us and the large table of gentlemen in shorts and tshirts sitting beside us yelling at the football game 20 ft away that was being show in the bar area killed the moment and made it seem cheap..not what I had in mind for this restaurant. The table was wobbly and they couldn't fix it which made it worse for our $250 bill. Very sad as I had such high expectations..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudLemonDined on 9/12/2014It was my first visit, and I didn't expect the noise level to be so high! It's a place for groups, not a romantic date. The filet Mignon was excellent, but the atmosphere was just too loud.Special Features:
- Great Place for BirthdayAmazedDined on 9/12/2014I took a very good friend of mine for his birthday dinner. I loved the filet and the white truffle macaroni and cheese. I let the restaurant know ahead of time and they brought out this amazing chocolate cake. The waiter was amazingly friendly and funny. Overall our dining experience was amazing.Special Features:
- The Best Steakhouse in AmericaMensaFoodReviewVIPDined on 9/11/2014There may not be a more quintessential steakhouse experience in America than Hal's on a Wednesday or Thursday night. Two levels of blue-blazered-old-southern-big-smile deal making in wood panels and brass fixtures where smoking is still allowed. It's a frat house all grown up, where the beer is replaced with a world class wine list and self grilled burgers have become the incomparable Hal's filets. Ladies are always invited to join in the festivities, but there are no illusions here as to which gender's imagination has conjured the intoxication of this Robber Baron's paradise. I had the Filet Au Poivre medium rare Pittsburgh style with the pappercorns pressed into the meat and the sauce on the side. Doesn't get any better.Special Features:
- Hal and staff do it wellBuckheadDawgDined on 9/11/2014Great spot, probably dine here once a month. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Hal's!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014Over and over we have found the steaks at Hal's to be the best in Atlanta. Our latest visit confirmed our opinion! Friendly staff, fun bar, great steaks and wonderful appetizers, salads and sides.Special Features:
- Excellent!CharlieDined on 9/2/2014Great spot for our business dinner. Excellent food, great service by attentive but not pushy staff. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Old school, in a good wayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014It's a bit like stepping back in time (this place is NOT trendy), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Solid food and very attentive service.Special Features:
- Hal'sLscotchlasDined on 8/30/2014The food is best steak house in Atlanta another exceptional evening of great food and service!Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014My husband's parents thought everything was awesome! We will be back!Special Features:
- Great ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014We had a great server who made a special occasion even more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual fine diningItaleedinerVIPDined on 8/30/2014Sat in the bar and ordered slowly. Amanda was a fantastic, knowledgeable server with personality, and the food was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!GeoatlDined on 8/30/2014We've been a few times. Always terrific. My first try with snapper (artichoke and mushrooms), as i usually go with steak. Fish was really terrific. All around great experience (again). We'll be back. Enjoy.Special Features:
- Excellent as always-BobSaccamanoDined on 8/29/2014Our server, Ellis, was great. My wife and I both got bone-in filets, Pittsburgh style. Lobster lebeau appetizer is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatCork0116Dined on 8/29/2014Great food and service. My first time there and will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not sure if we'll go backAnonymousVIPDined on 8/29/2014The restaurant itself is quaint and romantic but the food was not on par with the prices. We ordered half dozen oysters on the half shell which were tiny and not so fresh, but it is off season for oysters. The duck was delicious but the steak was undercooked. It came out almost raw when we asked for medium rare. The server didn't come to check on us until more than 10 minutes after the food came to the table so we sat there trying to flag him down. We'll go to Bones or Chops next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodladyFoodladyDined on 8/27/2014Hal's food and service never disappoints - however, the restaurant is soooo loud, it's really hard to have a conversation with anyone at your table.Special Features:
- Great Food. But overcrowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We arrived about 5 minutes early to our reservation knowing there would be a bit of a wait. We were not seated until 15 minutes after our reservation time. Also, the place is such a hot spot that they have tables everywhere. So we were kind of in a hallway that kept having a lot of people walk by. The food was amazing though. I can see why it takes two weeks to get a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food horrible serverOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/22/2014I come to Hals many times through the year as I feel they have the best steak in Atlanta. I visited this particular evening with 4 other women and from the moment we sat down the we could tell the server didn't want to work with us. We waited over ten minutes before he spoke to the table. I had to wait so long for him to come back once I walked to the bar to buy another glass of wine. He probably assumed all women no tip?? I have no idea but this is the first time I have ever received bad service here. He may have been having a bad day but don't take it out on the customer. Just don't come to work. I will be back just hope I don't have that guy (marcel according to the receipt)
- Great rib eye!Cesar34LVDined on 8/21/2014Service was great, waiter was on top it! The steak was delicious but a little heavy on the salt but worth the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too popularfilouDined on 8/21/2014Best steacks service and wine list in town. But avoid on Thursday nights you could barely get into the bar area and the noise level was horrible. Such a shame when you spend over $100 per person wine included.Special Features:
- DinnerChristinaDined on 8/20/2014Had a reservation so got sat quickly. Large group of business people near us. Got noisier as night progressed. Bathroom issue weird. Almost in kitchen while you waited. Felt extremely rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Atlanta's Best SteakhousesMarkfromAtlDined on 8/18/2014Hal's is always consistent with high quality drinks, steaks, and seafood. Pay particular attention to the chefs specials as they are outstanding!!! I highly recommend Hal's for a business dinner or a place to do with your significant other. It has a great bar with piano player. Very vibrant place. I wouldn't suggest it for kids a night as it more an adult night spot.Special Features:
- Amazing food!sassyjackyDined on 8/18/2014By far one of the best Ribeye's. I would pass on adding Oscar next time, as the steak did not need any assistance. Seafood was fresh and excellent presentation. We will be back.Special Features:
- Maybe the best steak ever!HarryDined on 8/16/2014I've eaten at lot of great steak houses (across Atlanta and nationally) but the filet here was hard to beat. If I had to rank Atlanta's best steak restaurants best purely on the food, I'd have to say Hal's, Mckendricks, and Pampas are the best by far. I really enjoy going to Chops, Bones, and some of the other well know steak places, many of which are more epensive than the ones above, but Hals, McKendricks, and Pampas have the steak and sides. I'll go back to Hal's soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScrumptiousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Come here every time we are in Atlanta. Food is awesome. Very noisy but we just go with the flow. Can't deal with the smoke downstairs but upstairs is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulouseeeeeDined on 8/16/2014oysters lebow for me ... gumbo for him .... steak oscar for me .... blackened steak for him .... strawberry cheese cake for dessert .... all grand ..... hal's absolutely lived up to its reputation .... great dinner!Special Features:
- My Favorite Restaurant in AtlantaHacSscDined on 8/15/2014Hals has been my favorite in Atlanta since my wife first took me there 9 years ago when we moved here. Food, service, ambiance all fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DissappointsGeorgiaTravelerDined on 8/12/2014As a former traveling business man I have eaten in some of the finest restaurants in the country on the company expense account. Now that I spend my own money the only place for a steak is Hal's. From the great looking staff that meets you at the door, to the super attentive bartenders and finally the professional waiters that serve you, there are few places that compare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off my listJilestalVIPDined on 8/9/2014This was my favorite steak restaurant but no more. The food was mediocre. The noise was overwhelming and the service didn't match up to the price point. The waiter forgot to bring out some of our food, but it was still on the bill. The table next to us was ridiculously loud, but so was the whole restaurant. Next time we want steak we will go to Little Alley's.
- Excellent steaks!!LibertasticDined on 8/9/2014One of the best steaks in town. I didn't really love the presentation of the mashed potatoes in a tiny bowl next to the plate... it would have been better on the plate with the steak. Bread was delicious. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and wine list. We were seated at a two person table (seated across from each other), and it was very difficult to hear each other talk. They definitely pack in as many seats as possible!Special Features:
- Noisy HalsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014Food was good, service was good but I will NOT return! The noise level was unbearable!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in Buckhead!wynnDined on 8/8/2014Hal's is by far my favorite restaurant and has been since I was in high school! I am a huge steak person and ever since I had the filet from Hal's, a steak from anywhere else just doesn't do it for me! The service is amazing and the menu is perfect. The wine list is superb. Special occasion or just a night out with the girls, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- loveATLdiningVIPDined on 8/6/2014Well it's just the very best steak anywhere. One thing we did notice, however, - the waiter asked one of us if we wanted anchovies on our caesar salad. We said sure (aren't they kinda a part of a caesar?) bill comes and you charge $3 for anchovies! Now really - that's a bummer. Just up the price of the salad. Very bad move! After all we've had bills there that come to $1100.00! Gimme a break - $3 for anchovies, really? :(Special Features:
- ConsistentJCCRDined on 8/4/2014Hal's has always been a restaurant that could be counted on to provide a consistent and elegant dining experience. I used the restaurant many times to bring business clients there, knowing they would be impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GuyBVIPDined on 8/2/2014Steaks at Hal's are great, the noise level is the worse I have ever experienced. Allowing people to smoke at the bar is not my idea of a smart option. Food that taste like tobacco ash?! The service was poor
- My favorite steak house in AtlantaMrsTGSVIPDined on 8/2/2014I have tried all of the most well-known and well-hyped steak places in Atlanta (yes, all of 'em) over the last 2 years, and Hal's has come out on top. The steak isn't overly seasoned, it is always cooked perfectly and all of their cuts are fantastic. I just took my dad for his birthday, and he is hooked as well. I have never had anything other than beef here and so I can't accurately review all of their other dishes, but as I have seen them and seen people react to them, they seem to be on par with the famous filet. The sides are wonderful, too. My favorites are the barbant potatoes with blue cheese, white truffle macaroni and cheese and the sautéed mushrooms. The bread pudding is delish, and large enough to share. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When do we go back....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014As always, Hal's was an amazing experience. My son wanted to dress up in the tuxedo we were married in so we find a nice restaurant where he could do this. Little did we know we now have an 8 year old that is in love with Hal's steak as much as we are! Service was impeccable and the food was just as great. The highlight for us was meeting Hal as we walked in and him complimenting my son for looking so fancy.Special Features:
- Better than simply old schooljoknowsatmosphereDined on 7/31/2014My husband's 63rd birthday. Wanted an old-school vibe, but great food. Got both, but were super pleased with our waiter. He was helpful, attentive, and best of all pleasant. With lots of younger folks around, this was fun. Better than just "old-school"...Hal's will be around for a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Restaurant.BetsyVIPDined on 7/30/2014It was my husband's birthday. Had the special oysters with the butter and garlic and bone-in filet. Couldn't be better. Our waiter was the perfect person for us. Let us take our time and enjoy each course. Then for the piece de resistance, brought a drop dead birthday dessert!! Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.