434 King St.
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hallschophouse.com/
- Phone: 8437270090
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - Midnight, Sunday Brunch: 10:30am-2:00pm.
Bar is open Monday - Saturday starting at 4pm to close and 10:30am to close on Sundays!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Niessner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are able to accommodate private breakfasts, brunch, lunchs and dinners for groups up to 100. Special menu and a la carte menus available.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each. Audio visual offered in a private, comfortable and classic setting. Set menus for large groups also available.
- Private Party Contact: Tom Hall 8437270090
- Special Events: We are able to accommodate private breakfasts, brunch, lunchs and dinners for groups up to 100. Special menu and a la carte menus available.
A word from Halls Chophouse
Halls Chophouse is American-Fine Dining, serving prime steaks, Lowcountry and fresh seafood specialties in an energetic, visually striking environment. Complemented by signature desserts, an extensive wine list, a vibrant bar and innovative, rich decor true to old-world steakhouses, Halls Chophouse is the latest restaurant offering in the heart of Charleston's Upper King Street design and dining district. A traditional American steakhouse with superior service and a knowledgeable staff, Halls Chophouse offers a classic and comfortable dining experience that will entice our guests to visit and enjoy time after time. We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each with audio visual capabilities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Halls Chophouse - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Halls Chophouse reviews from OpenTable diners
819 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (700)fit for foodies (463)romantic (430)notable wine list (423)hot spot (285)vibrant bar scene (260)neighborhood gem (258)good for groups (242)great for brunch (185)late-night find (90)kid-friendly (42)great for lunch (30)scenic view (9)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- PeteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Greeted at the door by the owners and we felt that they were glad we picked Halls, food was fantastic their steaks every bit as good as"Peter Leguers"with better service.The service, food, wine list and atmosphere was definitely worth the priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014The food was delicious. I recommend the steak and eggs (we went for brunch) and the biscuits and gravy. The service was great. I would have given a 5 on ambience but the gospel singing was a rad bit loud for my taste. Friendliest people. Will definitely gobsck to try the French toast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/21/2014sunday brunch has gospel singers livening the athmosphere!!! food i great but watch the portions, they are HUGE!!!Special Features:
- First visit a success...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014My wife & I chose Halls as part of our 25th wedding anniversary. While we have made many trips to Charleston, we had not had the opportunity previously to visit the restaraunt. While their cuts of beef are the only things mentioned as 'prime', the entire experience was prime! Truly great service, great ambiance, and of course, great food. I opted for the cowboy cut of the ribeye (24oz?). My wife chose the petite filet. We also ordered the lobster mac & chesse and the asparagus with hollandais sauce. Topped it off with the Creme Brulee. A five star experience all the way! Don't miss out...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceLovemytravels71Dined on 9/20/2014One of the best restaurants i have been to!!! Service is excellent, everyone is friendly and very professional. The food is phenomenal. Loved my ribeye with gorgonzola melted on top. Favorite side was the sweet corn. Shrimp and Grits was also very good. Pear martini was ok, would have liked it to be sweeter a little bit, the grey goose was pretty strong. Bar definitely did not skimp on the alcohol on this one. My friend ordered the French Kiss (Grey goose pear with grapefruit?) which was also great. My husband ordered the dry age ribeye which was also excellent. Very pricey but worth it for special occasions. Deserves to be #1 on tripadvisor (under fine dining).Special Features:
- vibrantdrharryDined on 9/19/2014Food was excellent, service was good. We were very early for our reservation but they took us right away. Table was nice by the window but it was all a bit noisy to be romantic. I would say it is more vibrant than romantic. 12 oz filet was awesome, onion soup, cheese cake are all things I would order again. I would say 4 1\2 stars. Just a bit too noisy to give 5 stars but a real nice dinner spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak EVERKingfunDined on 9/19/2014Been to NY steak houses Halls is better. The only thing better then the food is the service the owner greets you at the door. The KC steak exceptional !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hall's is the best!luv2dineDined on 9/19/2014If you wish to be treated special and have a one of a kind dining experience, then definitely dine at Hall's Chop House! The Hall family goes the extra mile to ensure your every need is met. They have a fine wine list, also. The live piano music adds to your special dining experience. Upon arriving and again at departure, one of the family members extends his or her best wishes and thanks you for coming. By the end of the evening, you feel like royalty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where's the beef?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014It's at Hall's Chophouse !! The most delicious Prime grade, thickly cut, perfectly prepared steaks you will ever find!! Service was impeccable. Attentive with helpful suggestions without being intrusive. Great place for a special celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must experience this!tablefortwoDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I came to Halls Chophouse for our one year anniversary. The atmosphere, food and service was absolutely outstanding! I must say that the filet mignon was the best I have ever had. The lobster mac and cheese as well as the pepper jack creamed corn were delicious! Halls Chophouse will not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentazureblueDined on 9/18/2014I dined at Hall's for the first time last night with a friend. Even though the entire restaurant was packed, we were seated very quickly and greeted by a server taking our drink orders and some managers wishing us a good time. Mr. Hall himself personally came by the table several times to ensure we were enjoying ourselves throughout the evening. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful. My friend got the bison special done med. rare and I had the scallops. Both dishes were incredible, and the risotto that came with mine was the best I'd ever tasted. The food arrived promptly and hot. We split the whiskey bread pudding for dessert, which was delicious. I will definitely be dining at Hall's again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hunterscreekDined on 9/18/2014this was a wondefful anniversary dinner. the owners greeted us and were very attentive . the service was excellent. we will return as soon as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedAnnADined on 9/18/2014My husband and I recently celebrated an anniversary at Halls Chophouse. I had the petite fillet mignon and my husband had the prime rib. Our dinners were fabulous and the entire staff made us feel very much "at home". We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Energetic latenitemickymotoDined on 9/17/2014It was great to find a restaurant where you could get a 10:30 reservation on a Wednesday night. The place was hopping and we enjoyed an unrushed dinner Food was exceptional without being pretentious. We shared the calamari appetizer which was the best we ever had. Owners were friendly and made you feel like you were old friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experience!es1223Dined on 9/17/2014Absolutely every aspect of our evening at Hall's Chophouse was outstanding. From the hostess greeting, the phenomenal service throughout, the amazing meal, to the owner's "thank you" as we left--we had an incredible evening! Would highly recommend Hall's!!!! The bread pudding is to die for!Special Features:
- Great steaks and wait staffWilson1911VIPDined on 9/17/2014The dry aged steaks were excellent, but tremendously expensive. The waitress was attentive,pleasant and knew the food well. The host was odd, constantly shaking hands again and again. The music was awful- electronically enhanced.
- Great NightEddieTDined on 9/17/2014My wife and I saved Hall's for our last night in Chrleston. The service at Hall's is outstanding the moment you walk in the door. I ordered a dry aged KC strip while my wife ordered the dry aged Tomahawk bone-in ribeye. Our steaks were cooked as ordered, medium rare. I have had the opportunity to dine at numerous steak houses including Bern's in Tampa. Halls is my new favorite Steakhouse. In a word everything is fantastic. I highly recommend Hall's Chophouse.Special Features:
- Always a treatSpectacularVIPDined on 9/17/2014This place is always a treat. From great drinks at the bar to steaks and side dishes that are cooked to perfection. I've had a lot of meals here and never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMommy1962Dined on 9/16/2014Amazing in every way. It was pouring when we walked there and as we walked in we were not only greeted by one of the Hall's who was beyond open and gracious they handed us a paper towel/napkin to dry ourselves off. The food was superb and our waitress Dina was beyond knowledgeable and perfect! Highly recommend this wonderful establishment!
- Fabulous restaurant a must tryDinerbychoiceDined on 9/15/2014I can't wait to go back. One of the best meals I have had ever. The service was above and beyond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in Town!!lturner5Dined on 9/15/2014Halls is the Best restaurant in town hands down! Best service and food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealEnjoyedEveryBiteDined on 9/14/2014Halls has selections that we were never offered before at a steakhouse. I ordered the Bison filet and my husband got the BONE IN filet mignon. So much flavor! Great wait staff. This was the perfect setting for our anniversary dinner. Save room for the bread pudding!Special Features:
- Dessert disappointmentloveitalianfoodDined on 9/14/2014We were there during Restaurant Week. We put in our order of which of the two desserts we wanted. Waiter brought us a completely different dessert, stating the one we had wanted was not available anymore! He should have told us before, in case we would have preferred the other choice. A restaurant of this caliber should not have had this problem!Special Features:
- AmazingVAChasDined on 9/14/2014My first trip to Halls was a year and a half ago, and I have raved about the meal since that time. It was so incredible, actually, that I was hesitant to return this time because I was afraid the meal couldn't possibly live up to my memory. I was wrong- not only was the meal incredible, but it was just as amazing as that first visit a year and a half ago. Definitely my favorite charleston spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceMomgahnDined on 9/14/2014We visited from out of town during what was, unbeknownst to us, restaurant week. Even though they were extremely busy, everything was terrific. We enjoyed every bite and never felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeMillertimeMBDined on 9/14/2014I especially like when the owner of the restaurant greets you at the door, introduces himself and welcomes you in. Then he th aka you for dining with them upon you departure. Great place we will return to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendedTeresaDined on 9/13/2014Wonderful evening with great music, food, and ambiance. We were greeted immediately by what might have been the Owners and a very sweet hostest. When we asked to be seated downstairs, which was less private and more lively, they made room for us even though our table was initially upstairs. We lucked out and visited Charleston during Restaurant Week, which allowed us to try a few different items. The filet was phenomenal, as were the sides. The only damper in the evening was our waiter. He was very short with us and robotic. Othwerwise- it was the best food we ate in Charleston and would absolutely go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Amazing is the only word needed to describe Halls!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014This is our favorite restaurant. We went for restaurant. The service and food were both spectacular, and I have to say, the chocolate pate is my favorite dessert in the whole world. Great experienceSpecial Features:
- Tender filetFoodie579Dined on 9/13/2014Tender filet (melted in my mouth), excellent service, welcoming "home" atmosphere. The owner was so kind and even came over to welcome us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing serviceRbwhit10Dined on 9/13/2014Hall's is THE place to dine in Charleston. The family takes great care to make every guest feel at home and like you're the only guest that night. Amazing experience and incredible food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food/questionable uniformyummoDined on 9/13/2014The food was amazing! Our service was good, our waitress didn't really seem into being a server that night. She didn't explain anything on the menu, just gave it to us and kinda stood there waiting. My only complaint is the waitress's uniforms. It felt like we were in a 50's gentleman's steakhouse. All the waitress's were wearing very short tight skirts and fishnet stockings. One lady had on thigh-high stockings and a mini skirt. There was a good couple of inches between the bottom of her skirt and the top of her thigh-high stockings. I was a little taken back by that. But the food was amazing.Special Features:
- Halls Chophoa is a MUST DOLadyDiDined on 9/12/2014#1 ALWAYS A FABULOUS WELCOME BY BILLY HALL #2 PERFECT FRIENDLY SEATING BY THE LOVELY HOSTESS #3 TERRIFIC MARTINI #4 not really #4 because THE STEAKS SHARE #1 BILLING WITH BILLY....perfect! #5 SERVICE IS ATTENTIVE, COURTEOUS AND EVER SO ACCOMMODATING. The servers help each other tend to the needs of table and are gracious and pleasant. #6 ATTENTION TO DETAIL...readily knew we had three birthdays and took care of everyone with candles on their desserts! #7 UPPER KING LIVELY NIGHT SPOT TO ENJOY! #8 AND DON'T FORGET THE SUPER PIANO PLAYER, ANTONI0Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindyDined on 9/12/2014Open Table makes reservations a breeze, this restaurant is one of the best in Charleston. We were born and bred in this beautiful city so we know..The only seating available was 5 PM and I called the first day. The food, the staff and the atmosphere cannot be beat.Special Features:
- Lovely as always..Leigh0713Dined on 9/12/2014We had friends in from PA for restaurant week and we were so excited to bring them here. They loved every aspect of the restaurant, wait staff, ambiance, food, drinks, it was all wonderful as always. My husband and I were celebrating our 3rd wedding anniversary, and they made us feel very special, with a glass of champagne and just out pouring of congratulations. We are very lucky to have this gem of a restaurant in our town. Thanks to all of you at Hall's for making another dinner an outstanding celebration:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!SCCelticSoulDined on 9/12/2014My husband and I are locals but, we've never treated ourselves to Hall's Chophouse and probably wouldn't have were it not for our son's urging. We decided we needed a nice evening, just for us, so we made reservations. Upon arrival we were greeted by some lovely young staff who showed us to the bar while our table was being prepared. We were shown to our table upstairs by a fireplace and introduced to the best steak we've ever had. Allen Brothers (Chicago) are renowned for their quality meat and this is all Hall's uses. We truly cannot tell you if the quality of the food was better or the service and in Charleston, SC that is saying something. What a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Fantastic!GAPEACHDined on 9/11/2014This restaurant was recommended for the steaks to us. Being from the Midwest I didn't think they could top the steaks we have had in the Midwest. Well, my husband said he thought this was the best meal and best steak he has ever had. Even topped some great meals in Hawaii. Would definitely go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your average steakhouseMocha1VIPDined on 9/11/2014My first visit - I went with high expectations given the reviews and was not disappointed. Starting with the person greeting us on our arrival -- not the usual hostess greeting but very friendly professional managment. Downstairs is a bar with musicians. Upstairs were several dining rooms. The ambiance was great -- good lighting, seating, decor. Despite being full the noise level was acceptable. The food and service was outstanding. Professional but friendly, a great menu with some seasonal veggies, a delicious caesar salad -- one of the best ever and of course delicious steaks - and lots of choices. The music from downstairs was very pleasant as it drifted upward. I really liked the vibe of the place and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!DatenightDined on 9/11/2014Everything about Hall's is beyond all expectations. The atmosphere, food, and staff are perfect....a must for locals and visitors to Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveDined on 9/11/2014Great food, great service. We were there for restaurant week, and got a good deal. A little pricey, but steaks are great! Worth an occasional splurge.Special Features: