434 King St.
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hallschophouse.com/
- Phone: 8437270090
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - Midnight, Sunday Brunch: 10:30am-2:00pm.
Bar is open Monday - Saturday starting at 4pm to close and 10:30am to close on Sundays!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Niessner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are able to accommodate private breakfasts, brunch, lunchs and dinners for groups up to 100. Special menu and a la carte menus available.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each. Audio visual offered in a private, comfortable and classic setting. Set menus for large groups also available.
- Private Party Contact: Tom Hall 8437270090
- Special Events: We are able to accommodate private breakfasts, brunch, lunchs and dinners for groups up to 100. Special menu and a la carte menus available.
A word from Halls Chophouse
Halls Chophouse is American-Fine Dining, serving prime steaks, Lowcountry and fresh seafood specialties in an energetic, visually striking environment. Complemented by signature desserts, an extensive wine list, a vibrant bar and innovative, rich decor true to old-world steakhouses, Halls Chophouse is the latest restaurant offering in the heart of Charleston's Upper King Street design and dining district. A traditional American steakhouse with superior service and a knowledgeable staff, Halls Chophouse offers a classic and comfortable dining experience that will entice our guests to visit and enjoy time after time. We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each with audio visual capabilities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Halls Chophouse - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Halls Chophouse reviews from OpenTable diners
726 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (619)fit for foodies (395)romantic (382)notable wine list (366)hot spot (245)vibrant bar scene (228)neighborhood gem (228)good for groups (210)great for brunch (164)late-night find (84)kid-friendly (46)great for lunch (21)scenic view (8)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Almost always terrificCharlestonianDined on 8/28/2014First of all, let me just say I'll return to Hall's Chophouse in a skinny minute without any reservation. Their dishes are always fabulous and their service is spot on. This most recent visit was only slightly off from what we're accustomed to. It was my wife's birthday and she was spoiled with well wishes from several staff and dessert. We had broccoli as a table side-dish and it was overly saturated in vinegar, overpowering the side. I should have voiced that concern to their staff immediately, but my wife and I were so caught up in conversation and enjoying the rest of the meal, I just let it go. My bad. I know Hall's would have made it right and then some. Even the best have an off.... well, minute maybe. Not a day!Special Features:
- One of the best dinners EverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014The food was excellent and cooked perfectly. But nothing compares to the level of service and hospitality. Tom and Billy were extremely nice and welcoming at the front and our waitress and staff attended to every one of our needs really before even asking. We were a little bummed leaving as my wife and I were just blown away at how great and nice all the restaurant and staff was that night. Not sure when we will get back to Charleston. But when we do, we will definitley be going back to our new friends' place (Halls Chophouse).Special Features:
- great place!BillVIPDined on 8/27/2014I loved the food. The bone in rib eye was splendid The wait staff seemed to be everyone in the place. They were very attentive. Bajve eaten a great steak places around the world and they are now on my personal best places list. We met bobby hall and he was warm and inviting. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/27/2014WOW! What an amazing restaurant Halls truly is! I have never been to a restaurant where you feel so welcomed and special from the moment you step into the door. One of the owners greeted us, we had an amazing server named Andrea and the food was out of this world. It was so good we went back the next night just to see if it really was that good and it was. Heather was our server the second night and she was amazing too! Can’t wait to go back.Special Features:
- Noisy, noisy, noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/27/2014Enter into the bar area, already noisy and boisterous at 6PM. Greeted by the owner, pretentious fawning. Escorted to upstairs dining room for special occasion birthday dinner (had requested a quiet table or booth), the noise level was high but continued to increase as additional parties were seated, noise level became deafening and unbearable. My husband and I could not hear each other without shouting and could not hear our server. Potatoes came out incorrectly prepared and had to send them back to the kitchen. NOT what I wanted for my birthday dinner. Go to this restaurant knowing and expecting high noise level and a boisterous crowd...NOT a place for a romantic dinner or even a family dinner if you want to hear one another.Special Features:
- Simply the BestToodlesDined on 8/27/2014Whenever we are in Charleston, we head to Hall's. The service, food, and ambiance is simply the best. The fried green tomatoes are a delicious beginning. The bison and lamb chops are our favorite. Each of the staff make you feel so special! Thanks, Andrea for a special birthday. No wonder, they are ranked #1!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak East of the MississippiFinerDinerbelchbusterDined on 8/26/2014Food was simply outstanding. Service was beyond comparison, not overdone but very attentive. Food arrived hot and cooked perfectly. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Throughly enjoyed our anniversary dinner. First time visit but won't be our last. Already recommended to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great and fantastic placejohnDined on 8/25/2014Everything about Halls was great. The food was great tasting as well as many creative dishes.the entire service staff was wonderful and friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finest dining experience EVER!DeannaDined on 8/24/2014While on vacation in Savannah and Charleston first time to either city, we wanted a special night out. We were directed to Hall's and we went...twice! Our second trip there was our last night on Chalreston and it was by far the best dining experience we have ever had. The ambiance is lovely, the owners on site, and staff impeccably trained. The food was delicious...and great blend of traditional steakhouse with Southern touches. The owner remembered us from our earlier visit, sent complimentary champagne. Wait staff remembered our preferences. It was truly amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014I absolutely love dining here. I have never been let down here. Love the Hall family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak houseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014Excellent quality food , from steaks to vegetable. Service and Hospitality is as expected for Charleston. Great experience for a special night out. Would make a point to hit Hall's if able. If you are a steak eater the quality of Beef and presentation was second to none. Wife had a vegetable plate of all things, it was again over the top. A+++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014we were greated at the door by the owner and was treated very special due to it being our 29th anniversary. Food and service was outstanding.Special Features:
- The best steak I've ever had.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014WAY to noisy. That's wasn't Halls fault though. Our reservation was late, 9pm. There were two parties in our dining area. One was a 14 top and the other was an 8 top. All guys draining heavily. Very loud. Over all ok. I'll get a much earlier reservation next time. That should help. The wait staff was superior to any place I can remember eating. They were knowledgeable and friendly. Our host, Brian, was top notch. Best front of the house guy I've ever seen work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak EverkmcccDined on 8/23/2014The owners of Halls have mastered hospitality! I have never felt so special and comfortable at a resturant in my life. The food is absolutely amazing. We both had ribeyes and can honestly say it was without a doubt the best steak I have ever eatten. We also ordered burbon bread pudding and it was out of this world!! We will be back as often as we can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightDaveDined on 8/23/2014Based on the recommendations, decided to give Halls a try. EVERYONE I spoke with said it was wonderful. They were right, highly recommend Halls, great food and service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great for birthday celebration!bookmamaDined on 8/22/2014I felt so pampered on my birthday - everyone seemed extra nice! The food was delicious, as always.Special Features:
- Fabulous Fridaymbj29Dined on 8/22/2014Our dinner at Halls was fabulous! From the food to the drinks and the Southern hospitality, it's a must if you are in Charleston.Special Features:
- Fantastic!KevinWDined on 8/22/2014Visiting Charleston for our 25th anniversary and booked a reservation based on on-line reviews. We were not disappointed!! This was probably the best meal and best service that I've ever had. Staff was very friendly and inviting, owners and other family members also introduced themselves and thanked us for dining with them. We will definitely makes reservations again next time we are in Charleston. Highly recommend dining with them.....you won't be disappointed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go, eat, drink, love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014This was our first dining experience at Halls and it was amazing. I have to start off with I made the reservation for the wrong week - they were able to accomidate no problem. Since this was our anniversary dinner I was so thankful! The staff is amazing - all of them. The service could not have been better if they tried. Both my husband and I think our meals were the best steaks we have ever had and we have enjoyed top notch steak houses in a few states. Seriously, we can't wait to go back. Everything was cooked perfectly and seasoned beautifully. Our cocktails were amazing and Mr. Hall stopped by a few times to wish us a happy anniversary, bring us champagne, and thank us for dining with them. We felt like guests, not customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing family steakhouseashry8586Dined on 8/21/2014Hall's not only had delicious steaks, sides, and drinks, but also wonderful service and atmosphere. There was a live pianist, singer, and saxophonist playing as you entered as well as an owner greeting you and shaking your hand to say thank you for joining them tonight. We went on a Thursday night and it was quite lively! I was surprised for it wasn't a Friday or Saturday. They had a great team of people working there, our hostess was very friendly and cheerful, our server was nice and knowledgeable, and the family themselves made it even better. It's a great place to go to feel welcomed, especially since we were from out of town, and I would recommend them to a family, couple, or group! It's expensive, but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd year in a row3rdyearDined on 8/21/2014This is the 3rd year in a row we've spent our anniversary at Hall's Chophouse. I don't see that changing next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough to beatIOPtoCharlestonDined on 8/21/2014From the street presence/building to being greeted by the Hall Family when you first step in, to the vibrant fun bar scene, to the solid wait staff and the best food I've eaten out in a few years, Halls Chophouse is one of the best! I MUST go....pricey yes, but as my son says, YOLO! Thanks Billy and family for a great evening/dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service and foodQuooddyDined on 8/21/2014My husband took me here for my birthday. We were early for our reservation but were seated right away. The owners son brought us champagne when he heard it was my birthday. The waitress was attentive and knowledgeable. We were also given creme brûlée for free too! My husband had the ribeye and I had bison. We will definitely be back to this restaurant. One of the best dining experiences ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobblersDined on 8/21/2014The best experience I've had out for as long as I can remember. They made you feel like you were the only ones in the restaurant. The food was exquisite. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Special RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014We were visiting from out of state, and celebrating my parents anniversary. We were greeted at the door by Mr. Hall, he personally brought free champagne to the table for my parents to enjoy. The selection was wonderful and the quality outstanding. I will go back next time I am in Charleston!Special Features:
- Always an awesome time at HallsMadluv2cVIPDined on 8/21/2014I love taking new folks in town to Halls Chophouse for a great time. The food is awesome, they have the best service in town and the owners always greet you with a smile and hug. Can't find that anywhere else in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 12th BirthdayKambrensenDined on 8/21/2014The management and staff were very welcoming and accommodating to the members of my party. One was on crutches and they made seating adjustments to keep her comfortable. The birthday girl was surprised with a huge slice of chocolate cake, which she does not eat chocolate or cake, but they made an adjustment and gave her ice cream. The steaks were superb and the family style way of serving the sides to each person was a definite change from other restaurants.Special Features:
- Hugs for Halls ChophousePabloDined on 8/20/2014It was our anniversary celebration and Hall's kindly changed our reservation from 5:30 to 6:30. The bar was hopping and yet the bartender had our drinks to us in a flash. Anna, our waitress, had a great sense of humor. Steaks were cooked perfectly and my veal chop was excellent. Creamed spinach was a little-off and no one finished it. There was free glass of bubbly and sides for our anniversary. We'll be back, maybe for Gospel brunch?.Special Features:
- It must have been an off nightNateVIPDined on 8/20/2014We have dined at Hall's in the past and loved it. However, this time was not so great. There was a party of 75 dining at the same time as regular guests so I think that caused a lot of our issues. We waited over an hour for our entree and when it arrived both meals were incorrect. My husband got the wrong steak and I got the wrong side dish. Plus we both found the meal flavorless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and personalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Every aspect of the meal was timed appropriately and the servers and other staff were great at recommendations and explanations of all of the aspects of the menu.Special Features:
- Excellent in every wayCynthiaDined on 8/19/2014Awesome food and service. Couldn't be better. Always perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Had an amazing meal at Halls. Welcomed by the owner and friendly staff. Meal was excellent. Wish I could have the steak and the brussel sprouts shipped here to NJ, along with dessert. It was nice to return home from vacation to a hand written thank you note from our server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnercfacelloDined on 8/19/2014Wonderful menu with a grand variety of choices. It was hard to make up my mind. Beautiful restaurant and wonderful staff and service. A little pricey, but if you want to splurge and enjoy a super dining experience, Halls Chophouse is a great experience.Special Features:
- Our 30th AnnaversaryTedster1Dined on 8/18/2014Outstanding experiance. Greeted by the owner at the door making a good impression. The on line scheduling through Open Table was perfect, from reservation, to flower arrangement to the Limo arrangement! Food was fantastic! More than plentiful, the side dishes are enough for two! Joy, our server well advised to menus, wine selection and needs, Thank You Joy! We had a wonderful experiance that all must place on their list to visit. Thank you Bill for the complementary Champaigne, you do reach out to your patrons, Thank You. T. Bowyer, N. Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ultimate ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014If you want to celebrate a special occasion, this is the place to do it! Outstanding service and food!Special Features:
- A unique experienceEnglishinUSADined on 8/17/2014The restaurant was recommended to me by a work colleague. My wife was over from England, so I want a really nice place to take her. The experience was far greater than expected. We were greeted by very friendly staff. The son of the proprietor introduced himself and also introduced the father. Never had a welcome like that before. The waitress (from NY) was very friendly and helpful throughout. The food (starter and main course) was superb and the whole experience was exceptional. Even when leaving, the son offered his help during our visit to Charleston. Our meal time was a little too early to enjoy the entertainment. Nevertheless, it was a very enjoyable time Thank you everyone at Halls for a great evening that will never be forgottenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday BrunchsurferleeDined on 8/17/2014I usually do not do brunch, but our travels brought us to Charleston early on a Sunday so we booked a reservation for brunch. We were greeted at the door, seated quickly. The service was great. The food was outstanding - we had the buffalo special and Belgium waffles. We also had bloody Mary cocktails and they were great with a Charleston touch of a shrimp and okra garnish. The interior is very nice. The wine list is also extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hall'sLuvgreatreataurantsDined on 8/17/2014Great place in all regards. Service couldn't be better. The story of the restaurant's historical background by the server was fun to hear.Special Features:
- Good food and music tooFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/17/2014Sunday gospel brunch is really something special. I'm not sure you're supposed to sing along but it's hard not to. Not only that, the food and drink is wonderful. Hard to go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.