434 King St.
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hallschophouse.com/
- Phone: (843) 727-0090
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - Midnight, Sunday Brunch: 10:30am-2:00pm.
Bar is open Monday - Saturday starting at 4pm to close and 10:30am to close on Sundays!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Niessner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are able to accommodate private breakfasts, brunch, lunchs and dinners for groups up to 100. Special menu and a la carte menus available.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each. Audio visual offered in a private, comfortable and classic setting. Set menus for large groups also available.
- Private Party Contact: Tom Hall 8437270090
- Special Events: We are able to accommodate private breakfasts, brunch, lunchs and dinners for groups up to 100. Special menu and a la carte menus available.
A word from Halls Chophouse
Halls Chophouse is American-Fine Dining, serving prime steaks, Lowcountry and fresh seafood specialties in an energetic, visually striking environment. Complemented by signature desserts, an extensive wine list, a vibrant bar and innovative, rich decor true to old-world steakhouses, Halls Chophouse is the latest restaurant offering in the heart of Charleston's Upper King Street design and dining district. A traditional American steakhouse with superior service and a knowledgeable staff, Halls Chophouse offers a classic and comfortable dining experience that will entice our guests to visit and enjoy time after time. We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each with audio visual capabilities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Halls Chophouse - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Halls Chophouse reviews from OpenTable diners
799 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (673)fit for foodies (487)romantic (408)notable wine list (405)hot spot (289)vibrant bar scene (280)good for groups (265)neighborhood gem (252)great for brunch (167)late-night find (75)great for lunch (35)kid-friendly (30)scenic view (11)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Fantastic!table4twoDined on 11/19/2014My husband and I are locals, and it's a monthly goal of ours to try a new restaurant downtown once a month. We've been to quite a few, and I have to say this is definitely the best to date. Don't be fooled by the "Chophouse" title. I don't eat red meat...a shame I know, but the scallops were absolutely to die for. Of course his steak was amazing as well. Not only that, but we got the Prime Steak Tartare(again I don't eat red meat) and even I thought it was outstanding. We'll definitely be going back for my 30th birthday soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service +SpectacularVIPDined on 11/18/2014I never fail to be impressed by the 5 Star service that you receive here. The two Hall brothers always make you feel like family and the staff plays right along. I bring clients and friends here at least twice a month. Keep up the great work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice eveningRobertDined on 11/18/2014My wife and I came to Hall's to celebrate my birthday. Service was great and we were treated speciaal. The food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hall's does it ALLScottVIPDined on 11/18/2014I think Hall's is an absolute gem. The atmosphere, the service and the food are absolutely excellent. There were 4 of us and we ate early since we had a concert to attend. The food was prompt and delicious. The steaks (a huge bone in and a 16 oz dry aged ) ribeyes were perfect and packed with incredible flavor. Cooked to perfect medium rare as ordered. The broccolini was excellent, sauteed with garlic and EVO I bet. One person had shrimp and grits and it was also excellent with huge shrimp and lots of lowcountry flavor! The salad towers and the crab cake appetizers before entrees were superb! Hall's does it ALL!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in Charleston.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/17/2014Food and service simply stated - perfect. The Hall family is always present to ensure that your dining experience is one to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Charleston's BestWanderer6360VIPDined on 11/17/2014Hall's epitomizes souther hospitality and excellent Charleston food. All of the staff, from owner to bus boy, are welcoming and waiting to address your every need. The food is excellent. I love the shrimp and grits and my wife's salmon was excellent. The fried okra was crisp, delicious and not oily in any way. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedNJpickyeaterVIPDined on 11/16/2014My husband and I ate at Halls Chophouse recently based on very favorable review and recommendations. I was very disappointed. The chicken I ordered was so salty as to be practically inedible. There just is no excuse for oversalted food like that at these prices. Certainly, it is a beautiful setting and has a very sophisticated and romantic feel, but in a town like Charleston with all of thoe fabulous restaurants, this one can be skipped.Special Features:
- Wonderful service. Above and beyond.DoyleDined on 11/16/2014Went for the wife's birthday. Before we had made it to the table everyone had wished her a happy birthday. Service was on point and very helpful. Everyone made my wife's birthday special. Thank you. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014This was our 25th anniversary the food, ambiance, and service was all top notch. Thank you for making our night one we will never forget. WE definitely recommend this chophouse as a 5 starSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Gospel Brunch at Hall'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/16/2014We had a wonderful experience at Hall's Sunday Gospel Brunch. The crabcakes Benedict were excellent and the service outstanding. My husband wanted a bite of something sweet with his coffee after brunch, but couldn't face a huge dessert (even though they all looked great), so the waitress brought him several delicious macaroons at no extra charge. The music was terrific - as was the welcome by Billy Hall. All in all, an experience we'll long remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BettijamesVIPDined on 11/16/2014Great sweet potato pancakes! The food at Hall's is always tasty and the service never disappoints! Thanks for reminding us to pick up our umbrella on the way out!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful atmosphere and foodBeavercommanderDined on 11/16/2014Halls is always wonderful whether it's brunch or dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerRachaelDined on 11/15/2014My husband and I went to Halls for our anniversary dinner. Our service was outstanding (thanks Bria!) and the food was insanely good! We had the oyster's Rockefeller for an appetizer which I highly recommend. We then ordered the chop salad to share and they brought it out on two separate plates for us which was great. The salad was the best salad I have ever eaten! I can't exactly place what is was that made it that good but just trust me and order it. For our meal, I ordered the Bison which was a special that night. It came with the truffle butter on top which was one of the best things I have ever eaten. My husband ordered the filet with the bone which he said had we not been in such a nice place he would have picked up the bone to eat it because it was that good. As a side we ordered the lobster mac and the asparagus with hollandaise sauce. Both sides were awesome and large enough to share. Dessert was caramel cake with bananas foster which was on the house for our anniversary (an awesome touch!) and some of the best coffee we have ever had. They also brought out champagne for us in the beginning of the meal for us to celebrate! I can not say enough about the service. Our server was amazing and made us feel as if we were her only table that night. Definitely worth the price you pay to eat there. Highly recommend! My husband and I have eaten in many restaurants but Halls ranks in our top 5 for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask to sit upstairsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/15/2014Be sure to ask to sit upstairs. Both downstairs bars are loud and it changes the experience greatly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just a meal, an experienceWestEst2013Dined on 11/15/2014My husband and I treated my parents at Hall's Saturday evening. This was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. My Dad placed his bone-in filet as one of the top three steaks he has had in his life. My husband's bison was so tender and delicious I had to stop myself from stealing it. My veal chop was tender, juicy, perfectly cooked, and tasted the way a pampered baby animal should. My Mom enjoyed the sides so much that she was kind enough to save half of her prime rib for the next day which we turned into cheese-steak breakfast sandwiches for brunch Sunday morning. Our service team never left us in want of anything. If not for seeing the other diners, we all felt like we were the only people in the room. There are many great restaurants in Charleston, but, Hall's is definitely the place to go for a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best prime rib I've ever hadCharlieFVIPDined on 11/14/2014This was the best prime rib I've ever had. We also had a great filet mignon. Sides were wonderfully prepared. The waiter and chef accomodated my daughter's inability to eat dairy. They were very concerned about pleasing and the waiter was extremely knowledgable. I will definitely go back as I have a new go to place in Charleston. This restaurant is not cheap but you get what you pay for. Excellent food, excellent service, great atmosphere. Just a wonderful dining experience!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2014I've eaten at 5 star steakhouses all over the country, Del Friscos, Bobs, Donovans ect. Halls is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014I had noted this was our 28th wedding Anniversary. They wished us happy anniversary as they took us to the table, our waiter wished us a happy anniversary. The manager brought us complimentary champagne and also wished us happy anniversary. With a restaurant full of people they still made us feel like we were the only ones there. The excellent food tasted even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulStephenVIPDined on 11/14/2014Best filt I have ever had. Service was wonderful and the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkkohnforshoDined on 11/13/2014We had an OK meal at Halls. The beet salad was really quite excellent, but the main course didn't live up to the expectations. The steaks were consistently under cooked when considering the doneness provided by the guest. The veal chop and the scallop dish were raved about, but the beef steaks were just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Service! Unbelievable FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014Do yourself a favor and just go. I had a bone-in filet which was perfectly cooked. It was amazing! The sides were great too. The service is what stood out. The owner is charismatic and welcoming with everyone. He shook our hands on our way in and out. He did the same with every customer. Our server was sharp and friendly. The staff was very attentive. The atmosphere was vibrant. We had a great time and would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceLegaleaterDined on 11/12/2014As a foodie from New York I must say that the service was as good if not better than NYC. From the moment you enter the owner greets you like an old friend. The server was very attentive and great with selections.nthey were constantly filling water and checking on your wants. The food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be treated like a valued customer at Halls!BestSteakInCityDined on 11/12/2014Another phenomenal dining experience! From Billy Hall greeting you to outstanding service from Cassandra to a mouthwatering steak and traditional southern sides, I recommend to anyone who wants to be treated like a valued customer and enjoy a well thought menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was excellent. Share sides!DoolieDined on 11/12/2014Zack and Ivy were wonderful servers and were very patient to answer all of our questions. Zack was very knowledgeable and made suggestions to us. We also listened to him helping the table beside us. He was so patient as this customer had to see cuts of beef, where the meat came from, decide on the wine, and it went on forever. Zack was unbelievable! There was 3 of us and all ordered something different to share. EVERYTHING was delicious. This was the best meal we had in Charleston. We ate at Hymans, Maganolias, and Halls....Halls by far, exceeded our expectationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed by serviceAFoodyDined on 11/11/2014Halls Chophouse is an excellent steakhouse. The restaurant's food was exceptional, especially the dry aged ribeye steak. The service cannot be beat. The waiters were very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable culinary ExperienceLivinthegoodlifeDined on 11/11/2014Dining here is most definitely an event! We ran the whole course from cocktails and appetizers to after dinner drinks with dessert. It's clear to see why Halls has received such rave reviews over the years, especially most recently. Every server, bartender, wine sommelier and hostess was incredibly friendly and VERY knowledgeable. We had a truly unforgettable night and cannot wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014This was our first time to Halls Chophouse, and it was the best dining experience we have had in a very long time. The service was fantastic and the food was out of this world. Definitely try the skillet corn and 14 layer caramel cake! The owner Billy greeted us at the door and couldn't have been friendlier, and after I told him that we were celebrating my boyfriend's new job, he now only brought us complimentary champagne, but they also put the desert on the house! Locals and tourists should absolutely try this place.Special Features:
- Impeccable HospitalityM37xRichDined on 11/10/2014Hall's was recommended by friends from our home in western NY. The Hall family knows hospitality and how to present good food, wine, and above all, hospitality. We were greeted by Mr. Billy Hall (the energetic, upbeat son) at the front door. Once he knew who we were he added a big hug & "happy birthday" for my (when I had made the reservation, I informed them of my wife's 'special' birthday). We were escorted upstairs to a perfect booth as the jazz on the first floor elegantly filled the restaurant & entertained us as we dined. Unlike big-city steak houses, the service was impeccable and truly felt genuine. I had a bone-in filet & my wife had prime rib. Both were cooked to perfection at med-rare. Our wine & water were always poured without asking.WOWSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding meal.dh0057Dined on 11/10/2014My wife and I had a very memorable experience at Halls Chophouse. We were met by the one of the owners and the hostesses to start off with. The waitress was excellent and did a great job taking care of us. The food was out of this world my wife had the New york strip cooked to perfection I had the Lamb which was also cooked to perfection. All in all Halls Chophouse was outstanding and we will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining doesn't get any finer!DavidsonJackDined on 11/10/2014Prompty greeted by the owner at the door. Our special request booth on the second floor honored. For an appetizer, we both had the she crab soup. It had a marvelous broth, somewhat meager on stock and good taste but it pailed next to the thick heaven of our native Maryland Cream of Crab soup. I ordered the 8oz filet mignon, Jumbo stuffed baked potato; my partner had the sea scallops on a bed of vegetable risotto. My filet was absolutely prime time delicious, the baked potato was really for two. My partner had the sea scallops which were tender, cooked perfectly and combined well with the risotto. Side of brussel sprouts.We had a glass of Caifornia moscato wine. Our bill came to $138, hefty by most standards, but a rare pleasure for us.Special Features:
- Impeccable from Start to FinishHappyCoupleDined on 11/9/2014I will probably run out of characters before I can explain how amazing our experience was. My fiance and I decided to celebrate at Halls while we were in Charleston for our recent engagement. We had been referred by a friend from Ohio for just the food alone. When I realized how nice of a place it was I knew it would be perfect to my fiance (assuming she said yes) to celebrate. No one in the restaurant had an idea we were celebrating. The host greeted us with a smile and a handshake. Not something we typically experience in Ohio. He then led us to a gorgeous upstairs dining area, away from the slightly louder dining area with a piano. The piano could still be heard upstairs, just more of a background addition. Upon sitting down, both of our servers showed up and were great from the start. We had an expert about wines, and a separate expert for the steaks. After a few moments and introductions they went to get our drinks started. A 3rd individual shows up to the table. If I hadn't read the history of the restaurant on the menu or done research online I would have no idea who he was. However it ended up being the owner. He welcomed us with a smile that made you want to be his friend. He asked if we were celebrating anything and when we said our engagement. He briefly disappeared and came back with two glasses of champagne. Since i'm running out of space I will say. Jumbo shrimp is appropriately named. The steaks were amazing. if you've never tried dry aged steaks. This is the place to try it. After the meal was over we grabbed our coats and headed for the door. Just as we had stepped outside, someone came through the door fairly quickly almost as if to catch us to tell us we forgot something. It was again the owner. He thanked us for attending, gave both of us a hug and wished us nothing but a lifetime of happiness in our future. He even shared a family story. I know we will definitely be back not only for the food, but also for the hugs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deb1Dined on 11/9/2014The service was impeccable; the food was out of this world....however, I would ask next time to seated away from the front door.....it was very noisy and busy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service I've ever hadAdriDined on 11/9/2014Service was beyond excellent. Their steak is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014By far the best food I have had in a long and the best service we have ever experienced. As soon as we gave our name at the door, we were whisked to a table, congratulated by all on our anniversary, received free champagne and dessert, and had an all around incredible experience. Thank you for making it sooo special!Special Features:
- True Southern DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2014My husband and I ate at Halls Chophouse for our anniversary and had a marvelous time! Not only did we feel welcomed by the owners and the staff, but we had AMAZING meals, as well! I have already recommended this wonderful restaurant to two other people who were headed to Charleston and will continue to recommend this restaurant to others! I look forward eating at Halls Chophouse the next time I'm in Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!NiceVIPDined on 11/9/2014Exception Service and Food. We were greeted by the owner who shook our hands, checked in with while we were eating and we had an exceptional wait person and support staff. it was a true WOWZA experience.Special Features:
- FabulousGeneralDined on 11/9/2014This fabulous restaurant earns an outstanding in every imaginable category: friendliness (Billy Hall!), atmosphere, service, mixed drinks -- and all of that is before the food is served. Of all of the upscale steak and chop restaurants that I've been privileged to dine in, Hall's is at the very top of the pinnacle. I can't find enough words to recommend Halls to any and every body looking for a unique dining experience.Special Features:
- Savory Food and Top Notch ServiceAmyGalDined on 11/9/2014I love Halls Chophouse! This is our 5th time going and the food and service are always outstanding. If you have friends or family in town I would highly recommend taking them to this restaurant. The highlights of the evening were the Bacon Steak Appetizer, Dry Aged Kansas Steak, Bison, and also the creamed spinach. We informed Billy Hall that it was my friend's birthday that night and he brought champagne to the table and gave us desert to go. This was an amazing experience and we will definitely return.Special Features:
- Absolutely AmazingMisty1212Dined on 11/9/2014From the minute we walked in the door, we were treated like the restaurant had been waiting on us to arrive all day. From being greeted at the door by an owner, being helped at the table by a group headed up by Zack, who was nothing short of spectacular, and then thanked for coming in by yet another owner at the top of the stairs and again at the bottom of the stairs. This is a 5 star experience all the way around. The food was perfect, our steak melted in our mouth. The lobster mac and cheese was yummy, yummy. And the shrimp and grits are a must try. Fantastic. Let me just say, that when I left Hall's Chophouse, I was so "up" and full of delicious food, that I can't wait to go back and take friends so that I can share my wonderful experience with them. If you are in Charleston, please don't make the mistake of missing out on experiencing Hall's Chophouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect Birthday BrunchmountpleasantDined on 11/9/2014Last Sunday we went to Halls to celebrate my dear husband's birthday. Once the Halls staff found out it was his birthday there were non-stop lovely surprises to perfect his experience. It was truly a wonderful birthday brunch with incredible food and wonderful service. Every time we go to Hall's I worry I will be disappointed because they have set the bar so high. The best news is...they continue to exceed my expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.