434 King St.
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hallschophouse.com/
- Phone: 8437270090
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - Midnight, Sunday Brunch: 10:30am-2:00pm.
Bar is open Monday - Saturday starting at 4pm to close and 10:30am to close on Sundays!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Niessner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are able to accommodate private breakfasts, brunch, lunchs and dinners for groups up to 100. Special menu and a la carte menus available.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each. Audio visual offered in a private, comfortable and classic setting. Set menus for large groups also available.
- Private Party Contact: Tom Hall 8437270090
- Special Events: We are able to accommodate private breakfasts, brunch, lunchs and dinners for groups up to 100. Special menu and a la carte menus available.
A word from Halls Chophouse
Halls Chophouse is American-Fine Dining, serving prime steaks, Lowcountry and fresh seafood specialties in an energetic, visually striking environment. Complemented by signature desserts, an extensive wine list, a vibrant bar and innovative, rich decor true to old-world steakhouses, Halls Chophouse is the latest restaurant offering in the heart of Charleston's Upper King Street design and dining district. A traditional American steakhouse with superior service and a knowledgeable staff, Halls Chophouse offers a classic and comfortable dining experience that will entice our guests to visit and enjoy time after time. We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each with audio visual capabilities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Halls Chophouse - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Halls Chophouse reviews from OpenTable diners
786 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (667)fit for foodies (466)romantic (416)notable wine list (411)hot spot (285)vibrant bar scene (261)good for groups (252)neighborhood gem (247)great for brunch (163)late-night find (78)kid-friendly (35)great for lunch (27)scenic view (8)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Thoroughly enjoyableeosccVIPDined on 10/29/2014My wife & I dined at Halls while on vacation in Charleston. Our meals (ribeye steak and salmon) were perfectly prepared and delicious. The servers could not have been more attentive and responsiive. Although the restaurant was filled our reservation was honored on time. As we were seated, we asked to change dining rooms, because of the noise level (exacerbated by the overly miked piano player near the bar. We were immediately taken to another dining area, which was noisy, but nothing like the previous area. One of the Halls came to our table several times to make sure we were enjoying our dining experience, as did Michael, who was a manager. Management is very active and visable at Halls. We will return here any time we can.Special Features:
- Remarkable from start to finish!LovingLifeDined on 10/27/2014We were greeted by the owner, who introduced himself and learned our names...recognized our friends who had been there a few times before and offered us a delicious champagne toast on the house to celebrate their new marriage. Our fabulous server also remembered our friends. Keep in mind, reservation was under our name and we had never been there before...so they all actually remembered our friends who live in NY, not Charleston. The wine list is unbelievable. The seafood platter appetizer-refreshing and delightful. We each ordered a different cut of meat and everything was perfect. The desserts were rich and flavorful and a perfect ending to the meal. We were also thanked by the owner on our way out. Wanting to go back already!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite all-time restaurant!geezerDined on 10/27/2014As usual the staff made us feel very appreciated. The service is smooth, the food excellent across the board. Every detail is attended to. It's so wonderful to see ownership so involved in the day to day running of the restaurant and the positive result is undeniable. Couldn't ask for more!Special Features:
- wonderful in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014From the moment we walked to the doorway, we were greeted and made to feel that the staff was happy that we were there. Throughout the meal, the staff were attentive. The buzz of the room was evident and it appeared that others were having the same experience that we were. The steak was, hands down, the best I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dinner and Service EverOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/27/2014From arriving to walking out the door, Halls Chophouse was truly one of the most impressive restaurants, if not the best, my wife and I have been to. At the door we were greeted by the owner who welcomed us as if we were family. Our waiter, Zack, was extremely friendly and very knowledgeable of the menu. After cocktails, my wife and I enjoyed the fried okra as an appetizer. The entrees of choice were the petite filet with the black truffle butter for my wife, and the bone-in filet for myself. We included the creamed corn and truffle french fries with our meals. For desert, we had the bread pudding which was outstanding! Simply - you must indulge yourselves and try Halls Chophouse while in Charleston.Special Features:
- Perfect anniversary dinner!eatgoodfoodDined on 10/26/2014From the moment we arrived, we were met with kindness and hospitality. One of the owners welcomed us warmly and wished us a happy anniversary before we were led to our table. Our server was knowledgeable and attentive and even presented us with a complimentary champagne toast at the start of our meal! My husband ordered the dry-aged rib eye, and I the regular rib eye - both were delicious and cooked perfectly. We also shared amazing she crab soup, asparagus with hollandaise, and a pepper jack creamed corn skillet. I highly recommend each! Our server then prompted us to pick any dessert we liked on the house. We chose the whisky bread pudding - yum! We had a wonderful evening at Halls and will certainly return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FOodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014The food was amazing. I had the veggie selection, and the roasted root veggies with kale was my favorite on the plate, although everything was wonderful. I finally found fried okra that's as good as I make, and that's saying something. Mike is still talking about the Oysters Rockefeller.....Special Features:
- No other restaurant does it bettermlaforgeDined on 10/26/2014My husband and I made a reservation to celebrate our first year anniversary at Hall's Chophouse. What a great decision! We were greeted warmly by Bill Hall (owner) who congratulated us on celebrating year one with complimentary glasses of champagne. Jennifer provided her wine expertise and helped us select the perfect wine to pair with our meal. John and Jordan were friendly and knowledgeable waiters and gave us amazing service. For our meal, we both had the filet and shared the lobster mac and twice baked sweet potato. We finished it off with the bread pudding. DELICOUS! We honestly had an unbelievably perfect anniversary meal and definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014The staff and food were impeccable! I would go here every time I come to charleston. Highly highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite steakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014The best restaurant on the east coast ! A great southern gem with charm and hospitality with great food !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014The service and food were just incredible. Billy Hall personally greets every guest, making each person feel welcome and special.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014love halls best service and food. I feel it's the best Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Made a reservation at least 5 weeks out for the "Gospel Brunch" and when we arrived they meandered us through the crowd and area where the live gospel music was to an area that seemed was for overflow. Gospel music that wasn't live was being piped in over the speakers. When I voiced my disappointment she found us a spot at a "shared" bar top table. Be sure and specify you want to actually be in the room with the music if you want to go to the bruch. Other than that...EVERYTHING was PERFECT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealPattiInFloridaVIPDined on 10/26/2014Halls Chophouse knows how to deliver a great meal AND great service! They did not skimp on anything, even the she crab soup had Chunks of crab. The bread they serve with the meal is like Yorkshire Pudding muffins! We ordered the sweet potato pancakes, comes with eggs, yum and big serving. My husband got the lobster special with quiche, all for brunch, along with the soup and coffees, about $80, and yes that was with a big lobster!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at HallsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. All food was great in every detail except, maybe, the lobster mac and cheese. Our waiter was extremely helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most memorable meal ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014My experience was amazing! I can't wait to come back to Charleston so I can eat here again. The server was so knowledgeable and recommended a great wine and the bone-in filet. It was absolutely amazing and the best steak I've ever had, well worth the price! We also shared the crab cake appetizer which was also very, very good. We shared the skillet corn and fried okra for sides. It was all so wonderful! The best meal I've ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014My husband and I chose this restaurant based off recommendations to celebrate our 10th anniversary. What a perfect choice! From walking into the door and being greeted by friendly hostesses who wished us a happy birthday to paying the bill, everything was perfect. The food was beyond delicious and, more than anything, the service was beyond anything we've experienced, even at the more well-known steakhouses throughout the country. Nothing went unanswered and it was all done without the staff intruding upon the diners. Our waitress also wished us a happy anniversary, and even provided candles on our dessert for wishes for the future. Everything was was we could have hoped for. I definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Chicken & SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Had the chicken and steak - loved both. Favorite for me and hubby.
- Food and service was phenomenal.YumyumDined on 10/25/2014Excellent in all categories. Friendly staff. Owners personally greeted us and thanked us on the way out with a firm handshake and a warm smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014The hospitalble environment starts when you enter and continues until you are out the door. The service was amazing, the food outstanding. We eat out a lot, and have been to top restaurants around the world. The Chophouse is everything you would want in a great night out dining. We shared the porterhouse with a couple of sides. Best steak I ever remember eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was magnificent...BigLouDined on 10/25/2014We chose dinner at Halls Chop House to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. As our waitress explained the dry-aging process, I decided to venture away my usual rib eye and tried the porterhouse. It had exceptional flavor and did not disappoint. Probably the best steak I have ever had. The pepper jack creamed corn was served in a skillet and was wonderful . The music was great and the atmosphere was just right for us to enjoy our celebration.Special Features:
- Romantic Dinner for TwoTr3yDined on 10/24/2014We found Hall's online while searching for premium steak houses.. Due to popularity I assume, there were zero reservations available between 5 and 10:30.. We're young, so we chose eating late over plenty of restaurants that could have served us much earlier. It was a great decision! It was loud at first, there were large (intoxicated) parties in our room, but once they left, we had the room to ourselves and it was fantastic. We loved everything we had except the cream spinach.. just wasn't for us. Dyna was our server and she was awesome, as well as Mark who blew us away with his hospitality. When it comes to special trips to Charleston, Hall's is now a no brainerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant EverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014Having lived in Charleston 7 years; Halls was always our favorite restaurant; although we no longer live there...we always make a point to have dinner here every time we come back to town...this is hands down the best food, service and restaurant! Service and attention is beyond exceptional from the minute you walk in the door and being greeted by the owner and family to say hello / welcome to the time you walk out, they are there again to say thank you not to mention the table serice from the staff...no matter who you are; they make you feel like royality!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingDidUsee2Dined on 10/24/2014We have eaten at Hall's several times and as a business owner I would have to say that this time the experience was lacking. We were seated upstairs over the band and the noise level was so loud we could not speak to each other at the table without yelling. The food was as good as always but the spinach was warm not hot. (We were served another spinach.) We waited almost an hour for our food and two tables that came in after us were served before we were. We were served a complimentary bourbon bread pudding. The steaks were as well cooked as always.Special Features:
- Load and lateJimmydDined on 10/24/2014Dinner came very late and the noise level was unbearable , better choices in charleston if you want to actually talk to your date .
- OutstandingAustinTravelerDined on 10/24/2014The food and the service of this resturant are truly outstanding. It exceeded our expectations in every way. It was really unusual that the owner talked to every guest. Will definitely eat here again when in Charleston.Special Features:
- Charleston Must TryKingVIPDined on 10/24/2014Unbelievable in all respects!! The food was fabulous but overshadowed by the best personal service ever!! It was an unparalleled event and must NOT be missed while in Charleston! I highly recommend without reservation!! But DO make a reservation as it is an "A" ticket!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb In Every Way!SCFoodieDined on 10/24/2014From the moment we walked in and were welcomed by Mr. Hall, to the minute that we left and were thanked by Mr. Hall again, the entire dining experience was one of the best that we've EVER had around the world. The service is perfect, the food is superior, the atmosphere is lively filled with customers enjoying their evening, the decor is subtle and beautiful, the prices appropriate for high end dining. We look forward to our next visit to Charleston and most certainly will reserve a table at Hall's Chophouse! Make sure you make (AND KEEP) your reservation because openings fill up fast and few people cancel (for very good reasons)!Special Features:
- Memorable Family EventAbbersDined on 10/24/2014Celebrated my 65th birthday at Hall's and it could not have been more perfect. Warm and friendly greeting from the second you walk in the door. The wait staff was attentive without being invasive and willing to take the time and share their knowledge. The food exceeded my expectations...this is not your high-end chain steak house. It takes delicious to a whole new level. And the sides...oh my...the best corn and collards ever. My daughter brought a cake and they could not have been more gracious in serving it. Two thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for an anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014Loved this place!! Anyone who has a problem with it (i.e bad reviews) is either a miserable person or trying to nit-pick. We walk in and get greeted immediately with a genuine "thank you for dining with us" that is resonated throughout the night. Taken to our seat, which was very private, and provided glasses of champagne to start. Told the waiter that we are looking to take it slow tonight, have some drinks then move to the food. He did exactly what we asked. Food was amazing and the wait staff were excellent. I would highly recommend this place and when you make the reservation make sure to put that its your anniversary and they will treat you very wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ridgeDined on 10/23/2014Fun and vibrant. Host Billy Hall was greeting at the door. Food was very nice but pricy. Would return.Special Features:
- Great mealMimiVIPDined on 10/23/2014Steak was delicious, wine was great, waitress was fantastic, and loved meeting Billy Hall. He is such a wonderful welcoming person who makes you feel importantSpecial Features:
- Best anniversary dinner ever!mjb333gsmDined on 10/23/2014This was our first visit to Hall's Chophouse in Charleston and we enjoyed it immensely. It was recommended to us by some of the locals and we will be going back whenever we are in Charleston. The staff were very personable and helpful. We were celebrating our 44th wedding anniversary and I had noted that when I made the reservation. The owner was nearby when we entered and as the hostess was about to seat us and wished us a happy anniversary he came over and also wished us a happy anniversary. When we were seated, our waiter appeared in a very short time and wished us a happy anniversary as well. Soon the owner appeared with 2 glasses of champagne for us to celebrate. The wait staff were all very attentive and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/22/2014Food is good though mine was a bit salty but prices are prohibitive to a frequent night outSpecial Features:
- Reliable and Dependablechukar10Dined on 10/21/2014When ever I am in Charleston the first place I make dinner reservations for is Halls. I have always been treated well and food is wonderful. Best steaks on the east coast by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service SupremeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/20/2014Food was outstanding but the service was the super star. Loved the experience. Only negative was noise level from musiscians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dining experience, hands downCvmackDined on 10/20/2014We visited Hall's for our anniversary October, 2014. It was fabulous. The staff treated us exceptionally well (even the owner). We enjoyed one of the best meals we've ever eaten. It's pricey but worth every penny. It's wonderful for special occasions. we highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Royalty and Family!EdConsultantDined on 10/20/2014Driving to the restaurant, our driver told us we would be treated "like royalty and family". I was dubious that would happen, but it actually did. The minute we walked in, we were enthusiastically greeted by the son, Billy, who made us feel like old friends, even though we had never been there before. During the dinner, our table was visited by the remaining family members and Billy again. The wait staff was exceptional, and the food was plentiful and first quality. They are famous for their steaks (from Allen's of Chicago), and they didn't disappoint. My husband proclaimed the ribeye the best he had ever eaten. When we left the restaurant, we were again enthusiastically greeted by Billy, who enquired about our meal. When we told him we were going to need a taxi, he immediately went out into the street and flagged a cab for us. How's that for service! We were seated at a table in the front corner of the second floor dining room, so I had the opportunity to observe the entire room. Watching the waiters and servers attend to each table (and there were several large groups) was really interesting. I've never seen so much effort by so many to persoalize the dining experience. It is no wonder that Hall's Chophouse ranks number one in so many dining websites. Prices reflect the high quality of food and service, but they are worth it. You will not be disappointed if you dine there--and expect to be treated like royalty and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- angrayangray69Dined on 10/20/2014We had a wonderful time! The food was great and staff was really friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014The guest experience here was on point. We were greeted with a very big welcome from Mr. Hall when we walked in. He seemed so genuine and later brought us champaign since it was my birthday. The staff was excellent, as was my filet mignon. This was the best customer service I've received at any restaurant I've ever been to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.