434 King St.
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hallschophouse.com/
- Phone: (843) 727-0090
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - Midnight, Sunday Brunch: 10:30am-2:00pm.
Bar is open Monday - Saturday starting at 4pm to close and 10:30am to close on Sundays!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Niessner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are able to accommodate private breakfasts, brunch, lunchs and dinners for groups up to 100. Special menu and a la carte menus available.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each. Audio visual offered in a private, comfortable and classic setting. Set menus for large groups also available.
- Private Party Contact: Tom Hall 8437270090
- Special Events: We are able to accommodate private breakfasts, brunch, lunchs and dinners for groups up to 100. Special menu and a la carte menus available.
A word from Halls Chophouse
Halls Chophouse is American-Fine Dining, serving prime steaks, Lowcountry and fresh seafood specialties in an energetic, visually striking environment. Complemented by signature desserts, an extensive wine list, a vibrant bar and innovative, rich decor true to old-world steakhouses, Halls Chophouse is the latest restaurant offering in the heart of Charleston's Upper King Street design and dining district. A traditional American steakhouse with superior service and a knowledgeable staff, Halls Chophouse offers a classic and comfortable dining experience that will entice our guests to visit and enjoy time after time. We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each with audio visual capabilities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Halls Chophouse - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Halls Chophouse reviews from OpenTable diners
798 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (674)fit for foodies (486)romantic (407)notable wine list (403)hot spot (289)vibrant bar scene (277)good for groups (269)neighborhood gem (252)great for brunch (161)late-night find (71)great for lunch (37)kid-friendly (25)scenic view (11)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Not as good as expecteddavieVIPDined on 11/26/2014Oysters, prime rib and baked potato were excellent, but lobster tail was severely under cooked as were the lamb chops.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional experiencescnukeDined on 11/25/2014One of Charleston's best. In a town known for seafood, this is an outstanding steakhouse that will stand up against the finest in NYC or Chicago. Great seafood too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only 1 night in Charleston? Then dine at Halls.PickypickyVIPDined on 11/25/2014In a city renowned for fine dining, Halls tops the list for us consistently. While their star might be the exceptional beef, the innovative appetizers, abundant sides and diet wrecking desserts are the strong supporting cast. Not in a steak mood? Superlative options are available. The veal chop is off the charts and the fish specials are truly special. Our party of 10 or so (our number kept changing!) was accommodated with smiles and efficiency by the always superlative waitstaff. The Hall family welcome patrons warmly and provide unbelievable customer service. Forget the hype and reserve your one night in Charleston (well in advance) to dine at Halls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halls of Fame!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/25/2014Based on the reviews, I was very much looking forward to the experience, which I am pleased to report exceeded our highest expectations. When we arrived the hostess showed us to a table that was near a heavily-trafficked doorway, so we asked to be seated elsewhere. While waiting, Tommy Hall (the son) came by to apologize and chat, as well as offer us a drink... this is a touch that sets a restaurant in a stratosphere of its own. The personal effort by the owners to ensure their guests are happy and appreciated cannot be understated... it turned what could have been a not-so-great experience into a perfect night! We were shown to a table and our waiter, Zach, came by and introduced himself. He was the epitome of professionalism, laced with a healthy dose of friendliness. His recommendations were spot on! We began with salads... I ordered the heavenly wedge and my boyfriend the ceasar. I liked mine better, but my guy like his better, so we were both very happy with our choices. We followed with the petite filet for me and the ribeye for my guy. It was the best filet I have ever had (I kid you not!) and was cooked to perfection, and the ribeye blew my guy away! On Zach's recommendation, we tried the brussel sprouts, and for the first time in my life I actually liked them... who knew they could taste so good! We also shared the loaded potatoes, which lived up to their name... decadent beyond words! We ended the meal with the apple pie a la mode. We had to make room, but were happy we did... it was amazing!!!!! As a relocated New York foodie, I finally found my mecca. We are going back before leaving lovely Charleston... yes, in a town filled with great restaurants, we are returning because it was that good!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeJamesDined on 11/24/2014Don't use that word much for restaurants...but it was!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic6mcw0VIPDined on 11/24/2014We visit Charleston each year for Thanksgiving week. Dinner at Halls Chophouse is now part of our tradition. Fantastic food. Fantastic service. Fantastic family spirit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchEPfromNaplesDined on 11/23/2014No sooner had we stepped out of our cab were we being greeted by Billy with a warm smile and handshake. He personally escorted us in to Halls where our amazing dining experience began. This place excels in service in a way very few do. You feel completely pampered from the moment you enter to when you reluctantly step out the door. The ambiance is a combination of swanky, warm, trendy and casual all at the same time. It's lively but not loud. It's upscale but not stuffy. Oh and the food was perfect--we shared the dry-aged Porterhouse which was prepared perfectly and cut and served table side. The evening was topped off by Hall's special shake apertif, an indulgent mix of white chocolate liquor, almond liquor and vanilla ice cream. Wow, what a night. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OnemansopinionVIPDined on 11/23/2014Well trained professional staff. Owners pay attention to the details that create a fine dining experience. Will make a first time guest feel like their oldest and best customer. Can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection is what they serve.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2014The food is excellent. Hands down. You have to try it. What impressed me more and made me want to come back next time even though it was the most expensive meal in our lives is everything else: the staff, the management, the every detail, and the absolute friendliness, and just one extra small effort. Wonderful. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!Enjoyingmy1lifeVIPDined on 11/23/2014Absolutely a fabulous meal, superior service and an excellent overall dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for SundayColafoodie1Dined on 11/23/2014We had reservations but ended up sitting at the community table in the middle instead. Met friends there for the Sunday gospel brunch. I had the special, salmon crepes, which were delicious. Lots of smoked salmon on top. Two others at the table ordered the Lowcountry omelette. Excellent choice filled with yummy seafood. The service was exceptional with the manager stopping by several times. Enjoyed the delightful gospel singing. We'll definitely return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another awesome dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Our first brunch at Halls did not disappoint. It was my daughter's 22nd birthday and they treated us all like family and royalty at the same time. i cant afford it too often but it is always and extra special experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt at home!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2014Great family owned restaurant, felt welcome the minute we walked in the door!!! Attention to detail and service was excellent!!. Friendly wait staff, food outstanding!!! The Gospel Brunch is a must!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dining experience of our visit to CharelstonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2014Exceeded our expectations - We were welcomed at the door and seated quickly. Every food preparation was presented beautifully and tasty. Our waiter Robert went out of his way to serve us and knew the menu well. By far the best dining experience I've had in my 3 visits to Charleston. Thank you Halls and our Sailor thanks you as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Have A Winner...Hall's Chophouse.ShocknAweDined on 11/22/2014My wife and I were in Charleston celebrating her 40th Birthday and our wedding anniversary this weekend. We ate at Hall's Chophouse on SAT Night and I truly think this event impacted my life forever. Our experience there was amazing. We lived in Manhattan for 3yrs and now we live just north of Boston...We have been to the best steak houses in both cities (Del Frisco's, Capital Grille, Morton's, Abe & Louie's, etc). Hall's Chophouse beat them all. My steak at Hall's was the best steak I ever had (Petite Filet cooked medium rare and charred on the outside). My goodness, it was delicious. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted by "a Hall" (Not sure if it was the owner or owners son), but he was extremely friendly and welcoming...& he checked in with us several times throughout the evening. We felt special. The Hendricks Martini was the best martini I ever had...Large and filled to the brim. Sauteed Mushrooms, salads, and dessert were all top notch. Thanks for a wonderful evening. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halls ChophouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014This was the first time my husband and I have dined at this restaurant. Let me just say the food was fantastic. I was so impressed with the wait staff, the owner and the food. As soon as we walked into the restaurant we were greeted by one of the owners. He instantly made me feel welcomed. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful EveningEdistoDined on 11/21/2014From the time we entered the restaurant until we walked out, we received personal service with several unexpected surprises. Our evening began with a welcome from Billy Hall, and the special time continued during our entire visit. Our waitress, Ivy, did a wonderful job, and it was a unique and special evening we will not soon forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALJMJDDined on 11/21/2014probably the best dining experience that I have had-the friendly and efficient staff, great food and wonderful atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!table4twoDined on 11/19/2014My husband and I are locals, and it's a monthly goal of ours to try a new restaurant downtown once a month. We've been to quite a few, and I have to say this is definitely the best to date. Don't be fooled by the "Chophouse" title. I don't eat red meat...a shame I know, but the scallops were absolutely to die for. Of course his steak was amazing as well. Not only that, but we got the Prime Steak Tartare(again I don't eat red meat) and even I thought it was outstanding. We'll definitely be going back for my 30th birthday soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service +SpectacularVIPDined on 11/18/2014I never fail to be impressed by the 5 Star service that you receive here. The two Hall brothers always make you feel like family and the staff plays right along. I bring clients and friends here at least twice a month. Keep up the great work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice eveningRobertDined on 11/18/2014My wife and I came to Hall's to celebrate my birthday. Service was great and we were treated speciaal. The food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hall's does it ALLScottVIPDined on 11/18/2014I think Hall's is an absolute gem. The atmosphere, the service and the food are absolutely excellent. There were 4 of us and we ate early since we had a concert to attend. The food was prompt and delicious. The steaks (a huge bone in and a 16 oz dry aged ) ribeyes were perfect and packed with incredible flavor. Cooked to perfect medium rare as ordered. The broccolini was excellent, sauteed with garlic and EVO I bet. One person had shrimp and grits and it was also excellent with huge shrimp and lots of lowcountry flavor! The salad towers and the crab cake appetizers before entrees were superb! Hall's does it ALL!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in Charleston.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/17/2014Food and service simply stated - perfect. The Hall family is always present to ensure that your dining experience is one to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Charleston's BestWanderer6360VIPDined on 11/17/2014Hall's epitomizes souther hospitality and excellent Charleston food. All of the staff, from owner to bus boy, are welcoming and waiting to address your every need. The food is excellent. I love the shrimp and grits and my wife's salmon was excellent. The fried okra was crisp, delicious and not oily in any way. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedNJpickyeaterVIPDined on 11/16/2014My husband and I ate at Halls Chophouse recently based on very favorable review and recommendations. I was very disappointed. The chicken I ordered was so salty as to be practically inedible. There just is no excuse for oversalted food like that at these prices. Certainly, it is a beautiful setting and has a very sophisticated and romantic feel, but in a town like Charleston with all of thoe fabulous restaurants, this one can be skipped.Special Features:
- Wonderful service. Above and beyond.DoyleDined on 11/16/2014Went for the wife's birthday. Before we had made it to the table everyone had wished her a happy birthday. Service was on point and very helpful. Everyone made my wife's birthday special. Thank you. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014Had an amazing dinner at Hall's. You are greeted warmly at the door by the manager and hostess. they immediately asked if we were celebrating a special occasion. We were greeted quickly by a wonderful waitress who served us champagne. Our waitress made excellent suggestions for drinks, dinner and dessert. The bread pudding is to die for. The atmosphere is warm, all of the staff is friendly and attentive. I was sad to leave, felt like we had a dinner with family. Even as we left the manager again made sure we had a good evening. Dinner at Hall's is an experience, not just a nice restaurant to eat dinner. Of all the great establishments we went to in Charleston, Hall's was #1. It is the best place I have eaten at including top choices in Boston and Federal Hill. The personal handwritten thank you note from our waitress topped it off we we came home. Hall's will be the first place I visit when I come back to Charleston. I also heard they have an amazing brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply AwesomeorlandoDined on 11/16/2014This was our 25th anniversary the food, ambiance, and service was all top notch. Thank you for making our night one we will never forget. WE definitely recommend this chophouse as a 5 starSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Gospel Brunch at Hall'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/16/2014We had a wonderful experience at Hall's Sunday Gospel Brunch. The crabcakes Benedict were excellent and the service outstanding. My husband wanted a bite of something sweet with his coffee after brunch, but couldn't face a huge dessert (even though they all looked great), so the waitress brought him several delicious macaroons at no extra charge. The music was terrific - as was the welcome by Billy Hall. All in all, an experience we'll long remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BettijamesVIPDined on 11/16/2014Great sweet potato pancakes! The food at Hall's is always tasty and the service never disappoints! Thanks for reminding us to pick up our umbrella on the way out!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful atmosphere and foodBeavercommanderDined on 11/16/2014Halls is always wonderful whether it's brunch or dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Sunday Gospel BrunchMountaineerSteveDined on 11/16/2014The wife and I ended her birthday weekend at Hall’s Chophouse Gospel brunch. Both of us started our meal with a nice cocktail. The wife got the Halls Famous Bloody Mary which she said was good and strong. I ordered the Hot Pepper Martini which was habanero-infused vodka and passion fruit. This nicely spiced Martini is possibly the best cocktail I’ve ever enjoyed. The eggs on the Crab cake Benedict were perfectly cooked, and had nice chucks of lump crab meat. However we thought the dish would have been better without the wilted arugula. If I had a chance to do it over I would have ordered the French toast (which looked fantastic) instead of the Lobster special. Not that the lobster dish was bad, it just wasn't anything special. Until this meal we never thought we would enjoy a bread pudding like we had in New Orleans, but Hall’s Whiskey Bread Pudding is outstanding. One down side of the meal is how rushed we felt toward the end. Two wait staff, not waiting on us, tried to take the wife’s plate away with at least 1/3 of her food still on her plate. With this much food and not giving any indication she was finished, she felt it is a rude to have a hand placed on her plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchTravelingfoodieDined on 11/16/2014This was our first time checking out the Gospel Sunday Brunch. As you enter the restaurant the music makes you smile. The only problem is that after you walk upstairs you can't hear a sound except for the occasional note or waft of song. Considering that the whole purpose of our booking was to attend the "gospel brunch" it was disappointing and that is the reason for the good rating for ambiance. Two of us had the Brioche french toast which was amazing, 1 had eggs benedict, and another had delmonico eggs benedict. For the delmonico eggs benedict, I guess we should have asked for a description but we assumed it would be a "slice of delmonico" however it was shaved and an odd shade of gray. Service is always outstanding and on this day exemplary. We love Halls and will certainly be back cause their steak just can't be beat in Charleston but if we return for Sunday Gospel Brunch we will reserve a table downstairs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerRachaelDined on 11/15/2014My husband and I went to Halls for our anniversary dinner. Our service was outstanding (thanks Bria!) and the food was insanely good! We had the oyster's Rockefeller for an appetizer which I highly recommend. We then ordered the chop salad to share and they brought it out on two separate plates for us which was great. The salad was the best salad I have ever eaten! I can't exactly place what is was that made it that good but just trust me and order it. For our meal, I ordered the Bison which was a special that night. It came with the truffle butter on top which was one of the best things I have ever eaten. My husband ordered the filet with the bone which he said had we not been in such a nice place he would have picked up the bone to eat it because it was that good. As a side we ordered the lobster mac and the asparagus with hollandaise sauce. Both sides were awesome and large enough to share. Dessert was caramel cake with bananas foster which was on the house for our anniversary (an awesome touch!) and some of the best coffee we have ever had. They also brought out champagne for us in the beginning of the meal for us to celebrate! I can not say enough about the service. Our server was amazing and made us feel as if we were her only table that night. Definitely worth the price you pay to eat there. Highly recommend! My husband and I have eaten in many restaurants but Halls ranks in our top 5 for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!LF2013VIPDined on 11/15/2014Our first visit to Charleston was highlighted by our amazing dinner at Hall's Chophouse. From the warm greeting at the front door, we felt right at home. The bartender and team were wonderful, and our server named Toppy for dinner was outstanding. Even some special requests were handled with grace and perfection. The food was truly some of the best we've ever had, with the steak being the highlight of the whole meal. But each side was outstanding, dessert was superb, and the whole evening was outstanding. Thanks, Hall's, for a fabulous meal and your Southern hospitality!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask to sit upstairsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/15/2014Be sure to ask to sit upstairs. Both downstairs bars are loud and it changes the experience greatly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just a meal, an experienceWestEst2013Dined on 11/15/2014My husband and I treated my parents at Hall's Saturday evening. This was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. My Dad placed his bone-in filet as one of the top three steaks he has had in his life. My husband's bison was so tender and delicious I had to stop myself from stealing it. My veal chop was tender, juicy, perfectly cooked, and tasted the way a pampered baby animal should. My Mom enjoyed the sides so much that she was kind enough to save half of her prime rib for the next day which we turned into cheese-steak breakfast sandwiches for brunch Sunday morning. Our service team never left us in want of anything. If not for seeing the other diners, we all felt like we were the only people in the room. There are many great restaurants in Charleston, but, Hall's is definitely the place to go for a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best prime rib I've ever hadCharlieFVIPDined on 11/14/2014This was the best prime rib I've ever had. We also had a great filet mignon. Sides were wonderfully prepared. The waiter and chef accomodated my daughter's inability to eat dairy. They were very concerned about pleasing and the waiter was extremely knowledgable. I will definitely go back as I have a new go to place in Charleston. This restaurant is not cheap but you get what you pay for. Excellent food, excellent service, great atmosphere. Just a wonderful dining experience!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2014I've eaten at 5 star steakhouses all over the country, Del Friscos, Bobs, Donovans ect. Halls is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014I had noted this was our 28th wedding Anniversary. They wished us happy anniversary as they took us to the table, our waiter wished us a happy anniversary. The manager brought us complimentary champagne and also wished us happy anniversary. With a restaurant full of people they still made us feel like we were the only ones there. The excellent food tasted even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.