434 King St.
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hallschophouse.com/
- Phone: 8437270090
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - Midnight, Sunday Brunch: 10:30am-2:00pm.
Bar is open Monday - Saturday starting at 4pm to close and 10:30am to close on Sundays!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Niessner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are able to accommodate private breakfasts, brunch, lunchs and dinners for groups up to 100. Special menu and a la carte menus available.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each. Audio visual offered in a private, comfortable and classic setting. Set menus for large groups also available.
- Private Party Contact: Tom Hall 8437270090
- Special Events: We are able to accommodate private breakfasts, brunch, lunchs and dinners for groups up to 100. Special menu and a la carte menus available.
A word from Halls Chophouse
Halls Chophouse is American-Fine Dining, serving prime steaks, Lowcountry and fresh seafood specialties in an energetic, visually striking environment. Complemented by signature desserts, an extensive wine list, a vibrant bar and innovative, rich decor true to old-world steakhouses, Halls Chophouse is the latest restaurant offering in the heart of Charleston's Upper King Street design and dining district. A traditional American steakhouse with superior service and a knowledgeable staff, Halls Chophouse offers a classic and comfortable dining experience that will entice our guests to visit and enjoy time after time. We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each with audio visual capabilities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Halls Chophouse - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Halls Chophouse reviews from OpenTable diners
792 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (678)fit for foodies (459)romantic (421)notable wine list (414)hot spot (280)vibrant bar scene (259)neighborhood gem (244)good for groups (238)great for brunch (163)late-night find (84)kid-friendly (41)great for lunch (26)scenic view (8)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- A Rare FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Public parking only street or lot. Greeted with nice hand shake from owner. Sat upstairs - much quieter than downstairs due to live music & bar. Nice ambiance. Service was exceptional - attentive without being intrusive, great follow up and plating our side dishes on our plates was very rare. We felt like we are the only ones in the restaurant. Timing was perfect, not rushed. Food options were excellent; petite filet was the best I have ever eaten (and I'm a foodie who eats all over the country.). Cowboy ribeye very tasty, and both steaks cooked perfectly as requested. Drinks were very tasty/strong. Wine recommended paired perfectly with steak. Free desserts, perhaps because this was our first visit? 3 hours later...time flew!Special Features:
- Outstanding!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Absolutely the best food and atmosphere! Must order the creamed corn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- halls chop houseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014First let me start by saying halls chops house is second to none when it comes to service. Again second to none. The owner meets you at the door to greet you. He also tells you thanks and talks to everyone as they leave. We were there for are annerveristy which Mr hall himself treated us too some free champagne. Food sIwise the spicy cream corn was probably the best thing I have ever ate. My wife loved her steak as so did the couple that ate with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely the BEST!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014The BEST dining experience of my life! Top notch everything. I'm looking forward to another trip to Charleston to visit Hall's Chophouse asap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steaks we have ever had.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014Outstanding restaurant in all aspects - service, personal greeting by family, attentive but not "in your face" staff, thoughtful special ocassion destination. Food options were varied and well-explained by our waiter. Totally impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ Service & FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2014This was our first experience at Hall's, even though we live in Charleston. We ordered the tuna tartare, caesar salad, chopped salad, filets, and lobster mac & cheese. The only thing that we weren't blown away by was the lobster mac & cheese. Our server, Anna, also brought us a side of the creamed corn, which was amazing. After dinner we got the bread pudding, which is a must!Special Features:
- anniversarymichaelmarkDined on 10/14/2014we have been coming to halls for years and always great. this was our anniversary and they went out of their way to make it a great occasion. sommelier was terrific and made the huge wine list very clear.Special Features:
- CHFoodiefanDined on 10/14/2014Mark was awesome! Always a treat. Birthday treat was a nice surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ExperienceDDDineVIPDined on 10/14/201450th anniversary dinner. The restaurant went above and beyond to make it a special night. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly SpecialKittyDined on 10/14/2014Amazing attention to detail and excellent food and service. Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chophouse in Charleston, COKathyWVIPDined on 10/13/2014The best restaurant the 7 of us ate at all week in Charleston. Food innovative, large portioned and tasty. Service outstantding. Great find.Special Features:
- Great Choice for a Special DinnerEPDINEDined on 10/13/2014Everything about Halls was outstanding from being greeted by one of the owners to the excellent service to the outstanding food. If you are looking for a special dining experience, this is the place.Special Features:
- Fantastic!cb315Dined on 10/13/2014It was a last minute decision to dine and we could only get in at 5pm, but that worked for us. The food and service were amazing, and Mr Hall and his staff made an ordinary day into a special occasion. I had the quail and my husband had a steak. I think the creamed corn was spectacular, which seems funny to say but it really was so good. I would definitely go back and definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- OutstandingBritgsmithDined on 10/12/2014This was hands down the best dining experience of my life. The service was spot on and the food was incredible. They made us feel so special for our anniversary. We can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Deserves a sixth star! My husband and I went there for our 25th wedding Anniversary and were treated like royalty. The owners were exceptional, the food and service are remarkable. Can't wait to return to SC from NY again just to eat here!Special Features:
- Nat1VIPDined on 10/12/2014Love the warm reception by Bill Hall! Makes you feelSpecial Features:
- Outstanding steaksOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/12/2014We had a group of six people visiting from Boston and everyone we knew recommended Halls Chophouse. From the moment the door was opened and we were greeted by the owners and staff, the evening was wonderful. The steaks were fantastic and the service was great. Waitress was chatty and fun. Definitely an expensive evening with appetizers, steak and drinks, but well worth it on a vacation with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely amazingTntideVIPDined on 10/12/2014We dined with our 4 y/o daughter. Our server and the staff were as attentive to her as they were to us. Our meal was amazing. We will happily return.Special Features:
- Fantastic ExperienceDinerDined on 10/12/2014We were greeted at the door by Bill Hall and we were treated like family for the rest of the evening. The staff was abundant, courteous, and extremely knowledgeable. The food was magnificent. Bill returned to our table on at least three occasions, once to give my wife and I two glasses of champagne in celebration of our anniversary. The night ended with Bill again coming outside after we had walked out to thank us for coming and to wish us a happy anniversary again. It was a great evening and we will definitely spend another special occasion at Hall's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HALL'S IS SIMPLY THE BESTtuckerraeDined on 10/11/2014I have been to Hall's many times. We live in HH/Bluffton - and anytime we go to Charleston the first thing i do well in advance is book a table at Hall's. When guests from the North are visiting, first on the list is dinner at Hall's. The food is superior. The wine list has a wonderful emphasis on limited release & small wineries that produce great wines. You must try a steak - can a steak be truly exceptional - yes - if you go to Hall's. The service is 5 star across the board. This family run venue's roots are steeped in the highest service standards and they excel from the moment you open the door. Everyone at Hall's is energetic, without intrusion and truly enjoys their work. Halls' is a standard from which others should learn.Special Features:
- FIVE STAR EXPERIENCEdinenwhineDined on 10/11/2014Fine food, excellent service and extra touches for special occasions, made our anniversary night out a five star experience.Special Features:
- Well-deserved reputationDrBobDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I had one or our greatest dining experiences at Hall's. Our waiter, Kasonda, was really great. We'll ask for her again. The filet my wife ordered was flawless, as was my dry aged ribeye. Lobster mac and cheese was as much lobster as mac-superb. Roasted brussel sprouts were the best we ever had. We were happy to see the half-bottle wine list-great for a couple and well-diversified. My wife's birthday was made all the more memorable by the restaurant's gift of dessert, a wonderful multilayer caramel cake topped with bananas Foster. Can't say enough good about this establishment.Special Features:
- By far the best meal ever !!woowooDined on 10/11/2014The wife wanted to go for her birthday. We were great at the door by the owner. Had a quiet table up stairs. The service was incredible from the time we open the door til the time we walked out. Wait staff was the best. Our waiter Steve was flawless. Great personality and knowledgeable. The gave us a complimentary glass of Champaign and at then end of our perfect meal the brought the wife a birthday dessert. 10 stars!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experienceLisascubamomDined on 10/10/2014This was our second visit to Hall's, each time celebrating a milestone in my son's life. The staff and management at Hall's are so accommodating and wonderful! Service was great and the food was out of this world!!!!! The only thing that was less than great was the noise level on a Friday night. We had to have a late dinner, 9:30 pm, and there was wonderful music being played downstairs but it made it difficult to hold a conversation. We still had a fantastic time and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!Special Features:
- Absolutely wonderful experience.MICO24Dined on 10/10/2014Excellent food, service, and atmosphere. Wait staff is amazing! Food served in very timely fashion. Prepared to perfection. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Never disappoints...MorriliDined on 10/10/2014As has been our experience on at least 4 other occasions, the food and service at our anniversary dinner at Hall's was exceptional. The food is consistently good and I believe the servers (especially Dinah, on this occasion) are the best in Charleston.Special Features:
- OutstandingLinda1Dined on 10/9/2014Our first visit to Hall's it was outstanding from the minute we walked in the door. The food was awesome, the staff was outstanding. Loved loved the piano music. This restaurant lets you know they value your patronage every step of the way.Special Features:
- Wow -- AmazingZachDined on 10/9/2014Upon entering the restaurant, we were greeted by the owners. Maybe it's just me but I have never been greeted by the owner of a restaurant upon entering, so it just kind of set the bar for the rest of the night. I ordered the bone in filet mignon and wow. Just wow. It was quite easily the best steak I have ever had. Alongside with sautéed mushrooms and loaded mashed potatoes, it was certainly a five star meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halls does it roghtSgtMattDined on 10/9/2014I appreciate a restaurant that takes pride in its ambience, leather seating, classy music, great service and most important; its attention to detail on their steaks. Probably the best I've had in years. Great way to celebrate a birthdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experienceCharlestonnewbiesDined on 10/9/2014This was our first dinner at Hall's Chophouse and we were celebrating our anniversary. The food was delicious but the experience goes way beyond the food ..... you are treated very special at this restaurant. Our 2 servers were very attentive and explained everything. We were greeted by one of the Hall family who made us feel very welcome. To celebrate our anniversary we were treated to complimentary glasses of champagne and when we didn't have room for dessert they also included a dessert in our take home bag so we could enjoy later. It is pricey - but a wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion. One last note ..... the creamed corn is incredible!Special Features:
- Halls does it again!MelBelleDined on 10/8/2014My husband and I try to eat at Halls every time we are visiting Charleston. This most recent visit did not let us down. The food is superb, the atmosphere perfect, the service impeccable...as always. We will most definitely be back and recommend Halls to all of our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston SteakhouseLukasDined on 10/7/2014Great steak with nice service and list of good wines.One minor point - a bit too dark;) Can't read the Menu properly.Generally excellent Restaurant which I could recommend to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingYum2222Dined on 10/6/2014Best service ive had in a long time. Friendly staff. Attentive owners steak was out of this worldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great prime ribjoyceDined on 10/6/2014you won't be disappointed with your order here- perfectly executed. terrific service, live music on a monday night, and delicious!Special Features:
- Must do when in charlestonJersrDined on 10/6/201421 day dry aged rib eye wow also creamed corn shrimp grits both side dishes Apple pie to end the meal can't wait to go back also 50th Anv what treatment billy hall what a great host real old time southern treatment thanks to every one away HallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingTravelerRBADined on 10/6/2014I travel around the country 100 days a year and many of those days in Manhattan allowing me exposure to fine dining all over. I have to say that Halls ranks as my to dining spot of ANY of them. The food was amazing and the wait staff as good as you can encounter. Great wine list and great bourbon list too !! The Tomahawk Ribeye is something to put on your bucket listSpecial Features:
- Great SteaksCrowVIPDined on 10/6/2014Had a wonderful steak dinner with my wife for her birthday. The staff were all very cordial. As we were leaving Mr. Hall came running out the door to make sure we had an enjoyable meal, we assured him everything was wonderful. Having worked on Wall Street for 40 years, and have eaten in almost all of the NYC steak houses, this was right up there with the best of them.
- Consistently outstandingSusieQVIPDined on 10/6/2014Halls Chophouse is consistently high quality at every turn. The food is only surpassed by the service. They make the evening memorable. You will always get a member of the Hall family to greet you which confirms their commitment to you. The meat is of the highest quality, the wine list took notch, and just when you think you have no room for dessert...order a dessert anyway. It will be worth it!Special Features:
- Disappointing for the best ratedFoodiesRUsDined on 10/5/2014For the number one rated restaurant in Charleston we thought the food was uninspired and ordinary. The service was annoying, one waiter bumped my chair so hard that I almost fell out of it and never even slowed down to apologize. I really didn't want to shake our waiters hand at the end of the meal like he was part of our group. The Hall family host was moving so fast telling everyone who he was that when he came to your table to ask how your meal was, he was gone before you could even process his question. Overall we were disappointed and won't be returning. There are too many restaurants in Charleston that are so much better.
- Gospel Brunch is Incredible!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Halls this past Sunday. It was our first time eating here but we will definitely be back. We went for the Gospel Brunch which was absolutely incredible but we now want to go for dinner so we can try some of their famous steaks. Our server, Stefan, suggested the French Toast and it was amazing. It has a crispy outer coating of corn flakes and served with a flavored butter and delicious bacon. My husband enjoyed his Prime Rib Steak Benedict. Oh, don't let me forget the amazing warm popovers with butter that we were served when we first arrived. So Yummy!Special Features: