Haliimaile General Store
900 Haliimaile Road
Makawao, HI 96768Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $31 to $50
Haliimaile General Store
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bevgannonrestaurants.com/haliimaile/
- Phone: 8085722666x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday, 11:00-2:30 reservations required for parties of 5 or more. Walk ins accepted for smaller parties. Dinner: 7 nights, 5:30-9:00, all parties are encouraged to make a reservation.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine, Fusion / Eclectic, Asian
- Executive Chef: Jimi Lasquete
- Dress Code: Resort Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call Celebrations Catering at 808-572-4946.
- Private Party Facilities: There is a semi-private area that can hold up to 30, or the Plantation room or entire restaurant can be purchased for private dining.
A word from Haliimaile General Store
Hali'imaile General Store is Bev's original and most acclaimed restaurant featuring eclectic Pacific regional American cuisine with Asian overtones. We strive to use fresh, local ingredients and service with aloha. We look forward to sharing meals with loved ones, close friends and our new friends. Mahalo for your support and a hui hou (until we meet again).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Haliimaile General Store - Best Restaurants in Makawao ›
Haliimaile General Store reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (98)special occasion (74)neighborhood gem (54)good for groups (40)romantic (36)great for lunch (27)notable wine list (27)kid-friendly (19)hot spot (12)great for brunch (10)scenic view (6)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Lunch great but a miss on dinnerScudmanDined on 10/15/2014Raw appetizers were excellent, the napoleon and pizza but dinner entrées both were not the level I'd expect for the price. The coconut curry dish was too thick and rich we could only eat half. My special fish was pan fried past done (dark brown) which required a knife to cut it. Not a good thing for a fresh fish dish. Fantastic fresh bread. Chocolate dessert was good and espresso spot on. Waitress was excellent but table support was unfriendly. Nice place but it's a 35 minute drive from Wailea so the food needs to be really good to compete with the other places much closer.Special Features:
- Best Meal EVERhollymettsDined on 10/1/2014The General Store was recommended to me by two different people, so I had to go. It did not disappoint. This was probably the best meal I have ever had. Can't wait to go back to Maui to eat here again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Maui TreatBaliJoeDined on 10/1/2014We return to Hali'imaile every time we visit Maui. Great food, friendly service, and one of the best pineapple upside down cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth it!Jennifer1008Dined on 9/30/2014Enjoyed every aspect of the evening! Great food, drinks at the bar and dessert to die for. The appetizers and salads are worth a try. We had Brie and red grapes quesadilla with sweet pea guacamole! AmazingSpecial Features:
- Voted our best dinner of the week!JCfoodieDined on 9/21/2014We chose this restaurant because it has an interesting history, charming site, and highly recommended chef. We celebrated our 45th Anniversary with friends and we delighted in every bite. We spent the week enjoying wonderful restaurants on Maui and this restaurant was hands down our favorite. It was well worth the drive from our hotel. The menu is so creative and combines unusual ingredients to surprise and delight your tastebuds. The presentation and portions were perfect. What joy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good in HaliimaileRanceDined on 9/20/2014At the last minute we decided to go out to dinner and chose this place. The food is always good and has a nice rounded selection on the menu. We chose to graze on appetizers and split the tomato watermelon salad and of course the Sashimi Napoleon. We made sure we left room for the chocolate layer truffle cake. We have been here several times and have never had a bad meal. Service is good and the ambiance is always pleasant This place is away from hotels, stores, other restaurants and town and think it's just a great place to enjoy a meal and company.Special Features:
- macherVIPDined on 9/20/2014One fo the best meals I had on Maui. The Napoleon Sashimi was excellent. The presentation of the Popcorn Shrimp with real Popcorn was superb. The watermelon and tomato salad is well worth trying.Special Features:
- Another nice mealgeewizz808Dined on 9/19/2014Haliimaile General Store serves consistenly good food. We ate light this dinner having the carpaccio salad, goat cheese panna cotta and a sashimi pizza. Service was good as usual. This restaurant is noisy when it's full so beware. Worth the trip Upcountry.Special Features:
- Great again!NighterDined on 9/18/2014Back to the Store for our second time and it didn't disappoint! Food was excellent, and so was the service. Shared the calamari appetizer, which doubles as a salad...loved it. Entrees were cooled to perfection and were delicious (I don't think you can go wrong whatever you order here)....and to top it all off, we shared the banana coconut bread pudding and it might have been the best dessert we've ever had!!! Highly recommend this somewhat hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HF SoCalHungDined on 9/14/2014This is a justifiably acclaimed restaurant on Maui -- maybe the best. We have been coming to Maui for twenty years, but only came to the HGS last year for the first time. Great and inventive food, knowledgeable wait staff, and a nice genteel upcountry ambiance. Sophisticated in a comfortable way. This year was our second visit, and it was just as good as last year. We prefer eating in the front room, where the action is -- the back room is quiet and good for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always go here when on MauiPhoenixLinda1Dined on 9/13/2014We always go to the Haliimaile General Store and Gannon's. This trip we found that they now have discount cards at Costco for all of the Gannon restaurants; 2 $50 certificates for $79.50 so we scooped up 10 certificates worth. I made a reservation on Open Table for our party of 10. Got a same day phone call saying that even though the computer let us book we would have to come an hour later to get a party of 10 in the front room which I had requested. They were running behind and we were seated about 1/2 hour later than that. Got salads quickly but the meal took 45 minutes or more to be served. Both of the Rib Eyes ordered were over done and had to be sent back. So while the food was as delicious as ever it wasn't our best visit.Special Features:
- Special occasionshorste1Dined on 9/12/2014Food was excellent and service top-notch. We were seated right away, wait staff arrived quickly and then the food. We split an outrageous goat cheese tart appetizer, then my wife had the macadamia nut encrusted mahi, and I the lamb chops. They were both "oh my" delicious. Dessert was lillikoi brûlée: oo lah lah! I appreciate having a nice choice of wines in the half-bottle and our Pinot was excellent. Only two quibbles: high noise level from the bar, and prices. We spent about $150 before the tip, which to me puts this into the "special occasion only" category.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencesevenfanVIPDined on 9/8/2014Had a couple of great dishes that we split. The curry seafood was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PreparationTravelerDined on 9/7/2014The food was excellent. We had a late reservation, so it was very quiet. Opakapaka with cranberries and raisins was amazing. A bit of a drive out into upcountry Maui, but well worth it.Special Features:
- The GeneralThruhim17Dined on 9/5/2014We were vacationing in Kaanapali. My mate recommended Hali’imaile General Store to us. It's about an hour from our resort but he said it was worth the drive. And it was! Our server was incredibly friendly. My only complaint is he never told us his name so I can't give him credit for his great performance. The drinks were very very tasty. I had the spicy Margarita was one of the best mixed drinks I've ever had. The food... wow. There were 5 of us and everyone thought their food was some of the best they'd had. We will definitely be back next time we're in Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!AliUDined on 9/4/2014Every course was amazing- the drinks were potent, and our waiter was very friendly. Loved reading about the history of the restaurant on the menu too! A definite "must stop" while in Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bit overpriced, but definitely goodcb15Dined on 9/4/2014We've eaten there many times and the best value is definitely lunch. It's a bit over-priced, for sure, especially for dinner, but the food is very good, the service is excellent, the variety is good, the ambiance is charming. If they had some items that were less pricey ($44 for an entrée is absurd, in our opinion), we'd eat there more often rather than saving it for a special occasion. Or even having a delicious "special" each night for $25 would cause many of us to visit there more often for dinner. Also, the specialty drinks are over-priced. A cocktail at $12 doesn't encourage guests to buy a second one, but if cocktails were $8, people probably wouldn't hesitate to order a second. Only complaint is their prices are too high.Special Features:
- Come here, to eat GOOD foodSFFoodKiterDined on 8/28/2014If you are looking for a Maui North shore good dining that is your place. Great food, grate service and overall great experience. If compared to the more famous Mama fish house, I think the food is better but it can't compete with the location...Special Features:
- Always fabulous!SteakloverVIPDined on 8/27/2014We return here every year. The setting, service and food are always perfect. The crab pizza is the best starter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual fine dining in MauiRamblerDined on 8/26/2014Four of us went to Haliimaile General Store for a special occasion dinner during our vacation in Maui. The food and service were very good. The ambiance is casual, as on most of Maui. The appetizers and desserts were excellent. The entrees ranged from great to merely good. Best were the fish in horseradish sauce, and the duck. The crab "pizza"appetizer, the pineapple upside down cake, and the chocolate cake were also outstanding. The daily specials were disappointing. We enjoy Haliimaile for a special meal on this side of the island, and will return. It's a better value than Mama's Fish House, which is way overpriced.Special Features:
- Great Food + Great Service!BillBVIPDined on 8/24/2014The flavoring and presentation of our meals were excellent. We shared a Goat Cheese Tart and Kalua Pork Sliders to start. Very very good! Entree choices were, Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi, Coconut Seafood Curry and a daily special of Opah. All were beautifully plated and the portions were perfect. We stayed in Paia which was only a 15 minute ride to dinner. The General Store would be well worth a ride from wherever you are staying on Maui.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinneralf13Dined on 8/24/2014Had a superb meal here with every dish outstanding.food was flavorful and well presented. Only downside was closeness of tables-even the waitress has a hard time dealing with our corner of the restaurant. The service was wonderful as well with excellent suggestions. Interesting beer list. .Special Features:
- One of the best restaurants on MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/18/2014Great food each time we have gone. A must restaurant to go while in Maii!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HaliMaile - not excitingBeensDined on 8/18/2014he atmosphere was busy, felt more like a buffet tables in a big hotel - our table was near the service entrance and bustled with the wrong type of energy. Our server was nice, Nicky, but not really attentive, she seems completely preoccupied with other things. The appetizers, won tons and seared peppers were different, very nicely presently and tasty. Our dinners - seared tuna 2 different ones on the menu, were just ok -the mint puree sauce and sweet chili lime sauce on the tuna was completely drowning and overpowering the tuna- it was very sweeeeet. The tuna was tasteless. I wouldn't go back.
- the best dinner!!!Hana007Dined on 8/17/2014Recommended by my friend, Pat, whose dad owned the store about 40 years ago! Fabulous dinner: homemade pasta with the best shrimp and scallops I have ever eaten! great salad, bread, and pineapple and passionfruit lemonade! wanted the pineapple upside down cake, but couldnt eat a bite more:) Thanks, Bev xoxoxoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Wonderful restaurant! My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at the Haliimaile. The food is scrumptious and as good as you can get anywhere in the world. Just so happens it's on one of the most beautiful islands in the world - Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulousSheaVIPDined on 8/13/2014Had an amazing meal - quite a variety and wonderful creative options. From Appetizers to desserts were we pleased and impressed. Enjoyed the fish curry dish, the steaks and the catch of the day. Loved the atmosphere of an upscale general store with high open ceiling and a front porch. Off the beaten path, and quite a surprise as far as the quality of the food in its remote location. Would highly recommend. One of our top three picks on our Maui island visit.Special Features:
- Great meal, abysmal serviceMarieChristineDined on 8/9/2014I'm torn, as the food here was amazing. Thoughtful preparation, and don't miss the Sashimi Napoleon...if you love sashimi, this dish will please you to no end. The owners husband also came by and checked on us, and he was lovely to meet. Our waiter was another story. He seemed like we were a burden to him, not wanting to answer questions, not checking back with us (and forget a refill on the drinks). In our party, we had 4 dessert lovers, but the service was so bad, we just couldn't be motivated to stay and order one (feeling like he's already treated us poorly enough, we didn't want to offer him more opportunity). We were celebrating our 17th anniversary, we drove an hour to get there, so, we hoped for better serviceSpecial Features:
- MemorableTBelleVIPDined on 8/8/2014Special birthday celebration . Special company. Special food & beverages. Special service. 10 StarsSpecial Features:
- Too quickOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014Good was very good,but the service was too quick. All our dinner (3 courses meal with wine and coffee) was served in less than an hour. We didn't have the time to appreciate the dinner. I was very disappointed. Furthermore, we were sitting in the back of the restaurant where there is no atmosphere at all.
- Excellent dining experienceTnD1ANFDined on 8/5/2014Always an outstanding meal! We come to this restaurant every time we vacation in Hawaii, and are never disappointed! A terrific dining experience in every way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining in a former gen storeshellykaybrownDined on 8/3/2014Fantastic food and a good vibe all around. I'm vegan and they went out of their way to accomodate me. Portions are moderate which is perfect and menu items and flavor are some of the best on Maui!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, but out of the wayOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/3/2014This place is not really close to anything, but we made it on the way back from the road to hana. Great time, really good food and service.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/2/2014Seafood curry was well done except the fish seemed overcooked. Opakapaka was fresh but oily
- Best in Mauiluv2dineVIPDined on 8/1/2014Bev Gannon and the haliimaile General Store is the best restaurant in Maui. The food is outstanding; and it is hard to try new dishes when you always have your favorites. It is about 30 minutes from Wailea but is worth the drive. Outstanding food and service; a comfortable place to eat. If you have never been you should go.Special Features:
- foodfunfoodfunDined on 8/1/2014I heard from some friends that the General Store had really great food. I felt it was good but rated it more on the average side. I wouldn't avoid it as it was a nice experience driving there and the service was excellent. Maybe the dinner menu would have met my expectations?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Haliimaile General Store!DSTxoxoDined on 7/31/2014Haliimaile General Store is one of our favorite restaurants on Maui! We really enjoy the cuisine, excellent service and amazing Mai Tia's. What originally drew us in was the super tasty Ahi Sashimi Pizza, the flavors just rock my soul! I also love the Pineapple Upside Down Cake! Bev Gannon has really created Maui Gold! MahaloSpecial Features:
- Not worth the priceLuckyDined on 7/31/2014Food just not that great. Expected it to be a lot better considering all the good reviews. Very expensive.
- stacem0nsterDined on 7/27/2014Great atmosphere, service, and delicious food! The furikake crusted opa was so ono!Special Features:
- Upcountry with CharacterCHLFoodieDined on 7/25/2014Food was very good... Pear tart wonderful, curry seafood great, opakapaka with mashed potatoes and green beans fabulous comfort food. Old grocery store lends character. Lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.