Half Moon Bay Brewing Company
390 Capistrano Rd.
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019Neighborhood:
Half Moon Bay
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Half Moon Bay Brewing Company
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hmbbrewingco.com/
- Phone: (650) 728-2739
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:30pm
Dinner: Daily: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Breakfast: Saturday/Sunday 9am-11:30 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Gaston Alfaro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Parties to Go for groups of 25 or more.
- Private Party Facilities: Both indoor and outdoor areas are available for larger parties.
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Hubbert 6502632017
- Entertainment: Live Oceanfront Music & Dancing Friday-Sunday, No Cover!
Additional music events added throughout the year. Music schedule posted on website www.hmbbrewingco.com.
- Special Events: Please check our website for latest event schedule. www.hmbbrewingco.com
A word from Half Moon Bay Brewing Company
Recently selected by Men's Fitness as one of America’s Top Ten Craft Breweries, and by Travel + Leisure Magazine as one of America's Best Beach Bars, the Half Moon Bay Brewing Company is an Oceanfront Restaurant and Micro Brewery offering California coastal cuisine, and handcrafted award winning Mavericks Beers&Ales. The 6,000-square-foot restaurant and bar is reminiscent of a typical California surf shack, a family-friendly, come-as-you-are atmosphere with live weekend music and an expansive, dog-friendly patio area with blazing fire pits to keep patrons warm on the waterfront. Behind the restaurant lie the 1,200 square-foot Mavericks Beer Garden and on-site brewery, where hand-crafted, award-winning Mavericks® Beers & Ales are piped directly to the bar. Located 4 miles north of Half Moon Bay at Pillar Point Harbor and ½ mile from Mavericks, the world-famous big wave surf spot. No bar or patio reservations. Please make reservations 2 hours prior to time requested.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Half Moon Bay Brewing Company - Best Restaurants in Half Moon Bay ›
Half Moon Bay Brewing Company reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (19)scenic view (19)good for groups (12)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (8)neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (4)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (3)special occasion (2)romantic (1)Show More
- FabulouJSWlovesrestaurantsDined on 3/9/2014We had an out of town guest from London whom is a vegetarian. We sat outside which was gorgeous, Them menu consisted of wonderful vegetarian dishes of chocolate pancakes, French toast and fruit and a vegetarian omelet, All were delicious. Our guest was impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Terrible ServiceSMCCLUNGVIPDined on 3/8/2014The food was pretty good, but the service was not up to par. I booked my reservation on open table, however when I first got there to check in the outside hostess would not let me. I was sent inside where I waited for about 5 minutes for the hostess (who was busy talking and ignoring the customers). She then sent me back outside to the hostess because we wanted to sit outside. Additionally, there were more wait staff just standing around outside. At one point another customer had to get up and go get their own utensils after their meal was served. Overall, the food was decent, the beer was okay and the view was great. It is a dog friendly patio so if you are looking for a view and some drinks this is a good stopping place.Special Features:
- HMB brewing good cooksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014great nightly fresh catch specials; healthy salads and appetizers; get the steamed prawns appie with triple flavor comboSpecial Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2014Came initially for the view and convenience for our visit to Mavericks. Service started off well, however, as time progressed towards the meal, the server was nowhere to be found. The fried calamari appetizer was so oily that it was soggy. Then the chicken sandwich which was dry and burnt on edges, was served on top of a burnt piece of bread. Very disappointing. Most likely, won't return.Special Features:
- Good food- poor serviceoccasionaldinerDined on 3/1/2014We were impressed with the quality of the food but the service was not near as good. I ordered a sampler of beers. It was supposed to be 10 small samples of their beers. The tray came out with nine. I had to catch the waitress to ask why. She explained that one of the taps was not working at the moment. We never saw the 10th beer. We ordered appetizers which came out promptly but within 2 minutes after the appetizer our main course followed. We had just begun our appetizers but they squeezed everything aside to fit the main course plates. No concern or apologies on the service end. Seemed like maybe that was SOP. Food was very good but service was unacceptable.Special Features:
- Dinner at the Brewery with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014Went with some friends for dinner, the service and the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!25anniversaryDined on 2/17/2014The food was remarkably good and creative! The Brussels sprout salad was fantastic, and my husband said the best fish tacos he's ever had . Yummy beer options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2014Wanted to see the sunset. Was able to get a table at the last minute even though all the restaurants in the area were crowded. Thank you Open Table. The food was good, the service was prompt and attentive, but not obtrusive. The experience was just what we wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed dinner. SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014Really enjoyed dinner. Steaks were great and cooked perfectly. Enjoyed the beer brat pops. Server was great and very attentive. Got a growler of blue velvet to go. Only negative was the apple crisp I got to go, the "crisp" part was all mushy only 20 minutes later. Overall great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Double Bore XX IPSotterspjDined on 1/26/2014Yummy beer! Yummy food! Great views! Just about perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-to Half Moon Bay spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/26/2014Great place but unfortunately they're sticklers about not ordering lunch food while breakfast is still being served. Understandable but I think it wasn't until 11:30am where they finally shown us a lunch menu. The breakfast menu just didn't seem appealing with a Mavericks beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodOlyMDined on 1/25/2014Ceviche, the shrimp appetizer is delicious. Beer pairing is fun, great beer. Puppy friendly. One of our favorite outdoor venues. Great viewsSpecial Features:
- HurriedManfredVIPDined on 1/20/2014We were looking for a nice place to have dinner with a view of the ocean during sunset. We got a table where one of is had the back to the window. The table was barely big enough to hold two plates. My wife was looking forward to having crab that was displayed all over the web site and menu. Turned out they have lump crab shipped in. I ordered a cup of soup. But about 10 min later our main dish was bought out. No bread, no butter, no soup. The waiter apologized unconvincingly. I decided to skip the soup instead of keeping my main dish under a lamp. I did not expect them to prepare it fresh a second time. The food was average. Grilled salmon was okay, the sole was very rich in butter and salt. We should have gone with fish and chips.Special Features:
- Went for the beer...HeartlineDined on 1/19/2014We chose Half Moon Bay Brewery for the beer and we're thrilled to discover they have great food too! The day before had been exceptionally busy, so they were out of a few brews, but there were still a lot to choose from. We had a great evening enjoying the quiet dinner with a lovely view of the harbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Football SundaypjsmallDined on 1/19/2014Went twice while in the area. Ate outside the first time, had nachos, seafood sampler and pepper jack bites, the guys had beers they enjoyed. Everything came in good time, waiter was very attentive, food was good for snack food. Came back to watch the football games.. Same good service at the bar and good food. We weren't rushed to leave. We will definitely be back when we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great time and theytyberVIPDined on 1/18/2014We had a great time and they worked hard to accommodate our group of 24!Special Features:
- the food and service was great!candyVIPDined on 1/15/2014the food and service was great! their local crab cocktail was very good and generous portion as well, great "Wednesday happy hour", good prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!Family7Dined on 1/11/2014Consistently my favorite restaurant. Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- For a good time.....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2014visit the HMB Brewing Co restaurant. We often visit this place. When we have visitors from out of state we take there for an excellent meal. We love it.Special Features:
- Beer with Breakfast?TheStarLadyVIPDined on 1/11/2014The Half Moon Bay Brewing Company is a great place to hang outside by a fire pit and watch the bay, especially on a nice day. The restaurant inside is dark and a bit dreary unless you can grab a seat by the window or one of the fireplaces. Went for breakfast and was not that impressed. Crab omelet with avocado, bacon, roasted potatoes and sour dough toast was good, but not anything to rave about. What was interesting was that breakfast items are paired with beer for an extra charge. I tried the amber ale and I must say it was fantastic. They offer unlimited Mimosas or Bloody Mary’s for $15.00. You’d need to stay all day if you partake in that option! I recommend coming for lunch, dinner, or just for the delicious beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy for view and good service onlSFChicaDined on 1/6/2014HMB has been my 'home away from home' for 30 of my 40 years. In fact I was married here. I have been going to the HMB Brewing Co. since the day it opened. Great place for friendly vibe, service, view and drinks. However the food, is basically a childs menu in adult sizes. Very bland boring food executed poorly. Why do I continue to go? It is a place I still enjoy for the friendly staff, inviting atmosphere, live music and of course the view. Last time I was there I ordered the wild salmon. It arrived cold and with a beef jerky texture. There is no imagination or freshness with the food and everything is overcooked. You can get the sense that the majority of their items are frozen and processed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!Luv2eatDined on 1/4/2014Delicious dinner. Great place to meet with a group of friends. Our waitress was wonderful!Special Features:
- gems in the menu7378GSVIPDined on 1/3/2014The Portugese fish stew and brussel sprout salad were superb. Dig into the ordinary menu to find small gemsSpecial Features:
- Happy New Year's Eve!Family7Dined on 12/31/2013I love Half Moon Bay Brewery! It never disappoints! We had 5 kids under 11 and 2 adults. Everyone was pleased with their meals. Service was outstanding by Ryan. We were seated in the best place to not disturb others but not completely isolated. The latest reservation that we could make was at 3:45 and it was perfect for an early dinner. We could hear the band as we were getting ready to leave and they were outstanding. Thanks for a perfect start to the new year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/30/2013We just love this place. We drive all the way from Mill Valley to attend for lunch. The BEST food! Fish tacos, nachos, artichokes, heck everything is great!Special Features:
- Yummy fish tacos!golfergalDined on 12/30/2013The Half Moon Bay Brewing company is one of our favorite spots in Princeton by the Sea! They have great fish tacos (choice of grilled or fried; I prefer grilled cod), served with black beans and rice and pico de gallo; very good! My husband had the prawns and chips, which were also good (he liked that they removed the tails from the shrimp). Make a reservation for a window table; you can't reserve an outside table (get there early if you want to dine outside).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good local beer and casual seafoodMaryfromSanJoseDined on 12/29/2013Went for Sunday lunch, hoping to try the dungeness crab roll. The waiter informed us that they ran out of crab on Friday!!! He steered us away from the french dip sandwich, honestly assessing it as "really bad." We ordered Maverick ale and brown beer. Both were solid brews. I originally wanted to drink the chocolate porter, but they ran out of that as well!!! The tuna melt's richness was nicely offset by the daikon apple salad mixture in the sandwich. The bread was toasted with butter, but not heavily. The kobe beef burger was juicy and cooked to a perfect medium. The fries were really tasty, not an afterthought on the plate. Unfortunately, the restaurant charges extra for everything: a slice of cheese on sandwiches, garlic on fries, etc.Special Features:
- great servicevalleymommyDined on 12/28/2013The service was friendly & quick! Good was great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, poor foodKylarVIPDined on 12/28/2013HMB Brew Co. offers menus that sound very different than they taste. Unfortunately everything we ordered was just a bit off - either under-seasoned or misrepresented on the plate as opposed to print. Oh well, some of their beer is good and the view is magnificent. Go if you want to eat a few apps and not care about the quality of the grub.Special Features:
- Birthday BashdbwmomDined on 12/28/2013We had a long table in the back which was ideal cuz we Had a toddler. The service was great & attentive even though 4 people in our party of 12 were 1.5 hours late due to traffic. The appetizers arrived at our table hot off the fryer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World class musicpaisanoDined on 12/27/2013we have visited the restaurant in the past but on this visit the service was exceptionally good and the music played by A C Myles really was world class so bring him back and we will be back. the food was average and I have had better calamari so I am not coming back because the food quality or quantity was superb. Also we had a group of 10 and there was some difficulty for the receptionist to accommodate us which is odd because the restaurant is large.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Local FavoritemakdesignDined on 12/21/2013Nice dinner served at the bar - not too crowded so seats at the bar were available...always my favorite. Love the nachos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/11/2013Our dinner was great, our server wonderful! Really great experience, enjoed the view. It was almost sunset and the sky was red in part with birds soaring over the harbor, beautiful! It doesn't get any better! I'm a repeat customer and will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great breakfastCalgourmetVIPDined on 12/7/2013We enjoyed a very nice breakfast at the HMB Brewing comany. We were staying at te Oceano Hotel and wandered oer to enjoy the terrific French Toast and breakfast buritos. we will go backI would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual dining in Half Moon BayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/1/2013Our family (sometimes a large group including children, sometimes only 4-6 adults, sometimes including dogs) drives from the Peninsula to eat at the Brewery regularly. The food is consistently excellent, the beers interesting and varied, and the sunset views unbeatable. Kid friendly, dog friendly. The staff is mostly local young people who are enthusiastic and well trained, for the most part. On this visit, our server wasn't familiar with the menu, so couldn't answer questions, forgot to bring several requested items (even after being reminded). An EXCELLENT restaurant for fresh, local fish and crab!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice coastal treatLittleNancyVIPDined on 11/23/2013The reason I didn't 5 star the food was because I asked for my English muffin without butter. It was served so soggy with butter, it seemed like they went out of their way to butter it to an excess. I ordered eggs benedict., hollandaise on the side. My 2 friends were very pleased with their entrees. A huevos rancheros, and a waffles with strawberries & bananas.Special Features:
- Great EveningFlo79Dined on 11/16/2013We had a great dinner and dessert and then danced the night away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out to lunchJerryDined on 11/16/2013There are not many places I would consider both romantic AND kid-friendly at the same time. However this restaurant covers all the bases and has super good food! My wife and I go the HMB every couple months and the food is always fantastic; the service however is always a roll of the dice. Sometimes the crew is very attentive and on top of things, and the other times, our table is forgotten and the overall service is sub-par. We still go back, only because the food is so good and the view is magnificent, enough so it outweighs the service being so lacking. Overall, a very nice experience, but can totally be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv to grubLuvgoodgrubDined on 11/16/2013Nice beer selection. Pumpkin crab bisque was OK, not great. Kobe burger was done to our liking, although burned on the outside. Shrimp coccktail tasted as though the shrimp had been sitting around for a while. Suggest going for beer tasting only.Special Features:
- Awesome, Just One Word NeededPeterBecerraDined on 11/10/2013Stopped by on a Sunday after a day at the beach trip (from Sacramento) with the family. Service was prompt, Beer was fantastic (pumpkin ale), and the food was absolutely incredible. The best Tuna Melt sandwich I've ever had, I highly recommend. Definitely returning when we're in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.