Halcyon, Flavors from the Earth
500 S Tryon St
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Halcyon, Flavors from the Earth
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.halcyonflavors.com/
- Phone: 7049100865
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marc Jacksina
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Levine Avenue of the Arts
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Halcyon is directly connected to the Levine Center for Arts parking garage, which is accessible from both South Church Street and Stonewall Street. Park in Visitor Parking and take the Plaza Elevators to level 2, the entry hall.
A word from Halcyon, Flavors from the Earth
Halcyon is a refined new restaurant dedicated to sustainability and a community perspective of food. Elegant presentation of rustic dishes, composed of locally sourced produce and proteins and served in an atmosphere of tranquil farmhouse chic, cements our place in the "locavore movement" and Charlotte"s palate. Our dining room showcases a stunning view of the Charlotte cityscape through a wall of windows. Bask in candlelight beneath a painting of mythological Halcyon at a table sculpted from natural wood and enjoy a magical combination of ambiance, ingredients, and the techniques of Chef Marc Jacksina.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Halcyon, Flavors from the Earth - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Halcyon, Flavors from the Earth reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)scenic view (51)great for outdoor dining (51)special occasion (45)romantic (32)great for lunch (28)notable wine list (23)great for brunch (18)good for groups (13)hot spot (10)neighborhood gem (9)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- An artful dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Every time I visit Charlotte, NC, and the Mint Museum, I make reservations at Halcyon. Located just outside the museum, this restaurant offers great farm to table dining options, a great view of the city and friendly service in an artful setting. Go and experience it yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Charlotte Favoritepeh2m9VIPDined on 9/13/2014I've been to Halcyon four times now and after each experience I like it more! The setting is calming, open and intimate but the Uptown location gives it a fun city vibe. Weather permitting, I prefer to sit outside. The service is consistently good but the food is what keeps bringing me back. The flavors are rich, but healthy and the options change with the seasons and availability, which I like. If you go soon, be sure to order the braised bison. When I went this weekend the chef shaved fresh truffle on top and it was heavenly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love new lighter menuLightfoodloverDined on 9/13/2014We have dined here many times but especially loved the new lighter menu. There were several fish/seafood entrees and finally a sashimi app (hamachi) that was very nice. The fruit (fresh berries) sabayon dessert with marscapone was also very light and the drinks were very unique. I especially loved the coriander Prosecco moonshine cocktail, but wish it was not quite so sweet. Prosecco is almost (but not quite) sweet enough to carry the other ingredients. A lovely view of downtown charlotte and a great matre 'd who knows how to please. Would love to see more light items. With such a great chef I'm sure they could be ultra creative with ceviche.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodiemamaFoodiemamaDined on 9/12/2014Excellent food, service and overall experience. Ordered tapas style to sample many tastes and all were amazing. Highly seasoned and very different in taste. The blue cheese soufflé and risotto grits were over the top. Service was exceptional and assistance with a very good wine list was perfect. The pineapple cake was not what I expected. It was better. One suggestion. If you order tapas size and style they bring it all at once. Tables are small. Serving dishes are large. Doesn't work. Ask your server to bring out one at a time since normally you are sharing. I will return on my next trip to Charlotte. Will be first on my list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasurelangberrydiningDined on 9/9/2014I've had the opportunity to have lunch at Halcyon on two different occasions. Each time the food and service was spectacular. The setting/decor couldn't be any more lovely (ok maybe the view could be less concrete but it is "uptown"). If you can find this place; it's not quite visible from street level (one story up!) it's worth the staircase many times over!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceJrmeDined on 9/6/2014We have now been to Halcyon for brunch, lunch, and dinner. Each time has been a great experience. Superb food, great service and just a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High hopes, but not fully metJustMyThoughtsDined on 8/30/2014We chose Halcyon to celebrate an important wedding anniversary. All went well but not outstanding. A special for the night was squab which the waiter said was mild. It wasn't mild and at least as strong and red as duck; I enjoyed it but my wife did not and asked to send it back. The rest of the food was good, but with the exception of the soufflé was good but not great. As was the rest of the experience good but not great: our special anniversary which I mentioned in making the reservations was mentioned but nothing special done for it. A special flower at the table or comp desert or something else would have been nice. Also no Merlot by the glass. From my perspective, it's the kind of restaurant for a corporate dinner.Special Features:
- AWESOME SPOTnania38VIPDined on 8/29/2014This is an amazing restaurant right in uptown Charlotte. Really cute outdoor space to sit and enjoy a glass of wine and an espresso after the meal. Our server was really sweet and when we asked for advice on whiskey the bartender came over and gave us some to try and really helped us. It made us feel special. There are VERY original menu items - we had the lamb, the pork belly and scallops, the zucchini blossoms with ricotta and the veggie platter. All were to die for and super tasty - Everything was very fresh and absolutely delicious. The wine was delicious and the ambiance is fantastic and it felt very romantic. Cant say enough positive comments about this place. LOVED IT.Special Features:
- A memorable feast!FabFoodDined on 8/29/2014Perhaps the best meal I've ever had! Tasty wines and superb "small plates" makes Halcyon a sure bet for a fabulous evening. And imagine this!? You can afford "fabulous" at Halcyon. Doesn't get any better than this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticexperiencedinerDined on 8/23/2014Everything a fine restaurant should be. Service was attentive and the food was inventive and delicious.Special Features:
- Food is awesomecltfoodDined on 8/15/2014You will love this farm to table style upscale resturant. Burger is out of this world. Eclectic dishes like the trout salad are one of a kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was pretty goodNotAFoodieDined on 8/6/2014This review is for the second time I went for dinner. I ordered the steak and it was OK, definitely not within my top ten steak dinner experiences. And I would have expected it to be given the price. The service was really very very good though. It was loud in there because of a couple of boisterous groups, so next time I'll pick a different spot to take a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceHannah91380Dined on 8/6/2014I recently went to Halycon for dinner. We had a reservation and were promptly seated in a table with a beautiful view of the city. Incidentally, all tables have a beautiful view because of the amazing windows. The ambience and food were good, but what was especially outstanding was the service. Our server was Adam, and he was warm, funny, knowledgable, and helpful. He gave us great descriptions and recommendations on food as well as attending to us throughout the meal. Our food was very good as well. We had a variety of things but our favorites were the flatbread appetizer and the chicken feta sausage that accompanied one of the dishes.Special Features:
- Good imaginative menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014The food was good, presentation was fine, service was attentive but not overbearing. Expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely view, unique cuisineCarolDined on 8/6/2014We had lunch at Halcyon this week and the food was fabulous as usual. Grouper salad was unique and the perfect balance of flavors.Special Features:
- AQS Quilt Show WeekOneLooseThreadVIPDined on 8/1/2014Amazing food and fabulous service. We had a party of 4 and everyone was very happy with our choice for dinner. Don't miss this wonderful little gem in Charlotte, NC.Special Features:
- Great pickDavclaDined on 7/29/2014Had a real nice dining experience, really enjoyed our waiter and host. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- Great food!OJazzDined on 7/25/2014Not overly crowded for dinner when there is not an event next door. That makes an excellent opportunity to dine at Halcyon! They can accommodate all diets (vegan, gluten free...) and still keep a good flavor profile. Only downsides: the steps getting there for elderly folks; a wait for rest rooms; somewhat slow service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDubzLuvGrubzDined on 7/22/2014Out of town visitors. Loved the food and the dessert was great. An amazing atmosphere to eat. Will return next time we're in Charlotte. Georgia (our waitress) was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchGOUNCDined on 7/20/2014Great location/view/menu/service and very clean.We had Sunday Brunch. made reservations on open table. We were seated as soon as we arrived.The only thing I can say about the food is that I had the bouillabaisse and it was excellent, I was expecting Clams, Mussels or octopus. After finishing it all. I was very satisfied. Being a chef I thought That needed to be said. Greg OwensSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UrigurigDined on 7/19/2014This is the best restaurant my wife and have been to in Charlotte. The food was out standing the portions were perfect. Great dinning experience. We will tell our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Service. Blah Food.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/16/2014This was my third visit to Halcyon. I recommended we go there for a birthday lunch. We were literally the LAST table served even AFTER others arrived. Not sure if another table got our food or what but the server was never around. We watched as others got their pre-meal popcorn and we never got any. When asked, the server informed there wasn't any left?? Then we watched as every other table got their food but ours. We waited nearly 40 minutes for food to arrive. When it did it was bland. The salad had zero dressing on it. It took us 1.5 hours to have lunch. We were all very disappointed and I was embarrassed for recommending Halcyon. My previous two visits were good, but after this one, I wont be back.
- Very tasty!JessDined on 7/8/2014My mixed drink was missing a main intense flavor so it just tasted like booze. The salad was very good but too much dressing. My appetizer/main course was excellent - the scallops and pork belly. My desert the lemon cake with strawberries tasted liked cardboard. Dessert was the only bad element of the meal, otherwise it was a 3.5 out of 5.Special Features:
- good food mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014The food was fresh and certainly enjoyable however the service incredibly subpar for a restaurant of this calibre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GhobbyVIPDined on 6/21/2014Liked it - did not love it. The starters were my favorites. Cheese trio and snack board were both interesting. I had the duck breast - ok but had a sauce the had no real taste. Drinks were interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Earthy and yummy!yummyDined on 6/20/2014Delicious food, very unique and different. Not large portions, but great quality. There are plenty of unique cocktails as well. Pricey, but worth it for the quality and experience.Special Features:
- Food met our expectation..LadyADined on 6/17/2014This was our first visit here....It was a very hot sticky evening...lots of people outside. The food was very nice,we had small plates...the service was not attentive and I felt that the restaurant was somewhat "untidy" the behind the scenes in particular were cluttered with staff shoes/boxes etc and there were used napkins/silverwear to the left of the bar area .I felt I wanted to go around and clear everything away and give everywhere a good clean...it lacked sparkle..but lots of staff chatting was visibly going on. But as stated the food was very nice which is the most important from the chef/owners point and they were all very visible....but I think now that dining out is more about the total experience??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early dinnerdcmatthewsDined on 6/14/2014What a beautiful place, in a great Uptown location. Table was a slice of a large tree. Very innovative, and keeping with the earth theme. Service was great. Menu was a little more difficult to understand than other restaurants with lots of small plate options. I had a Blue cheese soufflé which was excellent. Then I had a scallop and Pork belly plate, that has two of my very favorite things. Scallops were great but the pork belly was dry, and very uninteresting. But the Braised Bison made up for it. Amazing. The rest of my party was pleased, but not a lot of wows. Overall, it was very nice experience. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good...not greatBuddyDined on 6/13/2014We were expecting a little more from Halcyon based on other reviews. We were surprised (not in a good way) by the prices. The food was good. Some over use of spices/sauces/breading on what is advertised as fresh ingredients. Chef needs to let the key ingredients stand out more with less cover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and uniqueDeaconDined on 6/13/2014Great creativity frequently changing menu good use of local sourced foodsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch BunchShowstopperDined on 6/13/2014Loved the open to the city glass walls that made you feel as outside! Ribeye sandwich was sliced thin and medium rare with a wonderful spiced dressing that was yummy and the homemade fries delicious! Want to come back after work and have drinks and appetizer that overlooks the mint & knight theater area. Loved the mason jars for water glasses! Wasn't offered water refills though. I was with a group of 10 for lunch so that may be why the water was overlooked. Otherwise service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jjlobiVIPDined on 6/7/2014If you are looking for creative cuisine and first rate service Halcyon fits the bill. Starters were creative and artistically plated, but appeal to a unique palate. The best dish was the small plate veal tournedo. Tender with a delicate, flavorful sauce. I opted for that when my scallops carbonara was too salty and smoky for my taste. The server and GM graciously accepted by rejection and substituted another dish and comped my original entree. Dessert was fine raspberry cheesecake. Cocktails were done well, but pricey. The restaurant was half filled at 8pm Saturday night, not sure why. Wonderful views from the outdoor and plentiful window seating was a highlight.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperiencewigstheoneVIPDined on 6/4/2014Joined three work colleagues for dinner. All of our appetizers and entrees were excellent, and service matched both in terms of offering explanations and suggestions. The dining room is very comfortable, with outdoor seating as an option. Very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always interestingDebbyDE3Dined on 6/4/2014I love the different foods here / never know what to expect. Wait staff is very knowledgeable on the menu and will offer their opinions / suggestions when asked.Special Features:
- Disappointing foodFoodieVIPDined on 6/4/2014Great for an evening drink. Lunches are disappointing. Salad had watered down dressing, two orange segments and two scallops for $15. When waiter asked how the meal was, I explained it. He offered to bring more slices of fruit. Will not go back for food. Location is great, over-priced drinks are too.Special Features:
- Artistic..NOTrainbowroomDined on 6/1/2014I went for Sunday brunch. The restaurant boasts being the place to dine within the Charlotte art museum. I am in the arts world and my experiences have been at the Metropolitan Museum in New York, Museum of Fine Arts Boston, The Wallace Collection in London among others. All are refined in their dining from menu, decor, and service. Halcyon scores zero from being overpriced for mediocre food, the service and ambiance is deplorable with dishes and dead plants piling up on a wait table on the deck in plain site of patrons. The worst part? No dress code or certainly a lack of any decorum. Flip flops, tank tops, cut off fanny showing ripped jeans? Really? I never made it to the museum with Halcyon as the first course.
- Second Visit and Still PleasedLevernDined on 6/1/2014Been here twice and each time everything was great. My Mom wanted a sandwich without the bread and the chef (cook staff) made a special effort to plate the ingredients as if it were a dish (and not a sandwich). Service and food were great.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/31/2014We had a fantastic dining experience. Food was amazing and the service was specatcular. Halycon continues to be one of my favorite places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalBillyi1VIPDined on 5/31/2014A very special place. Lunch on Saturday is not where you would expect something special but the menu selections were far ranging, from French toast to seafood vegetable broth based soup.. Lots of preparation were evident in the dishes we ordered and the originality of ingredients was remarkable. The kitchen was very busy when we left at 3:00 with extensive activity preparing for Saturday night dinner, chopping and cutting vegetables etc. The wine list was quite simply extraordinary. Choices are available from all the world's wine regions in both red and white. Wines by the glass were somewhat limited however. Wine tasting flights that would encourage experimenting with some of this diverse selection would be a welcome addition.Special Features:
- Yum!8itallDined on 5/30/2014We both had chicken entrees and couldn't get over how luscious they were!Special Features: