Halcyon, Flavors from the Earth
500 S Tryon St
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Halcyon, Flavors from the Earth
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.halcyonflavors.com/
- Phone: (704) 910-0865
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marc Jacksina
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Levine Avenue of the Arts
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Halcyon is directly connected to the Levine Center for Arts parking garage, which is accessible from both South Church Street and Stonewall Street. Park in Visitor Parking and take the Plaza Elevators to level 2, the entry hall.
A word from Halcyon, Flavors from the Earth
Halcyon is a refined new restaurant dedicated to sustainability and a community perspective of food. Elegant presentation of rustic dishes, composed of locally sourced produce and proteins and served in an atmosphere of tranquil farmhouse chic, cements our place in the "locavore movement" and Charlotte"s palate. Our dining room showcases a stunning view of the Charlotte cityscape through a wall of windows. Bask in candlelight beneath a painting of mythological Halcyon at a table sculpted from natural wood and enjoy a magical combination of ambiance, ingredients, and the techniques of Chef Marc Jacksina.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Halcyon, Flavors from the Earth - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Halcyon, Flavors from the Earth reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)special occasion (46)scenic view (45)great for outdoor dining (37)romantic (31)great for lunch (23)notable wine list (22)good for groups (20)great for brunch (14)neighborhood gem (14)late-night find (6)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- filled with flavorOKCWinerDinerDined on 11/18/2014I visited Halcyon recently during a visit to Charlotte after reading reviews. The food was impeccably flavorful. I had the Harvest Soup followed by the lobster. It was wonderful. Delicious. I'd go again. Also had the pear cocktail (don't remember the exact name) -- it was also great. Server was Nick who provided great service. Overall, superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet for Mum and Dad, and good with the kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2014Great lunch, excellent cocktails. They don't have a kids menu but accommodated our 4 year old very wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ericjDined on 11/14/2014Great food, great location, great food and incredible ambiance. a definite on my top 5 restaurants in Charlotte.Special Features:
- Took 12 to dinner theremgoodman10Dined on 11/11/2014Everything was great, right down to the beautiful wood (cut from a large tree) table they sat us at. We spent a fair amount of time going over selections and the staff was very knowledgeable about both the food and the wines. The service was great and the food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal at Halcyon!ACamp165Dined on 11/11/2014I have been to Halcyon a handful of times and it never disappoints! I ordered the Halcyon burger the first few visits but decided to venture out this time and order something different. It was hard though - that burger is the BEST burger I've ever had! I ordered the braised bison this time and it was delicous! Not a large portion, but perfect for lunch. I brought three friends who had never been and the day was nice enough that we could sit outside. My friends LOVED it and they all ordered the burger! Our waitress was very friendly and engaging - the service is always wonderful so I will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodHkimDined on 11/1/2014Everything we ate was amazing. We sat in front of the chefs and watched them cook. our server was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014The restaurant has a very nice view of the downtown area. The patio is awesome! The food is very eclectic which works for some of it dishes and others not so much. Overall, the food is good, however, I would have expected something a little better given it's pricing.Special Features:
- At 1hr20, we leftyabbadabbaDined on 10/30/2014At the 45 minute mark seated, having waited at our table for a half hour with empty glasses, we reminded the waiter that not even apps had arrived. He brought a cheese plate complements of the chef. At the 1hr20min mark, with still empty glasses, no further visit from the waiter, and no apology from the manager, the four of us rose and left. The house comp'd our drinks, but wow what a waste of an evening. I'm curious if this place is even managed. I feel sorry for the chef and cooks in the back... maybe their food was great, but with an incompetent front of the house, who would know?
- Very disappointed in the foodfood4thoughtDined on 10/28/2014The planters outside had completely dead plants. My bloody mary came in a pilsner glass, no room for anything like pickled beans, okra or celery stick, just 2 boring olives & a slice of lemon & tasted like it was made from a mix. The farmers salad, described as butternut squash, dates &goat cheese was just a large plate of ho hum lettuce with a sprinking of miniscule cubes of butternut, maybe 6 date slivers and a sprinkling of goat cheese. I did like the dressing. The most disappointing thing was the seafood soup, with a weird variety of veges, a whole radish, enoki mushrooms and yellow squash. No rich safron tomato broth & weird looking unnamed "white fish". Poached apricots turned out to be dried ones, & were too hard.Special Features:
- Wine ListjazzmanDined on 10/24/2014We had a very nice experience at Halcyon. This was my second time and the food and ambience were wonderful. The wine list is a bit of a challenge. They serve pretty much all boutique wines . . . which in my opinion is great! Since there is no sommelier we asked our waiter for recommendations for a big cab-like red under $100 ($60 to $80-ish), and what the waiter recommended was really not at all what we would have expected. He offered to take it back and said that the only big reds were well over $100. Its surprising to me that a restaurant of this level would have that limited of a wine list . . . and no sommelier to help to help customers walk through it.Special Features:
- GingerVIPDined on 10/23/2014The farm salad I had was a bit skimpy for the money and the server was only adequate. My friend had a fabulous tuna salad however.Special Features:
- rosenbudVIPDined on 10/22/2014wonderfully crafted food, a dining delight! never fails to please~Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Never disappoints"OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/19/2014I was very pleased to introduce yet another guest to Halcyon. They were delighted with ambiance, their meal and the attentive service. Thank You AJ for the warm & professional welcome! NoelSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014Food was great. Service was fine, but the waitress was not particularly friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dovita1Dined on 10/15/2014I enjoyed very much the time there. Delicious food, great service and ambience! Our waiter was very kind, patient and helpful with a great demeanor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemTtas1214Dined on 10/12/2014It took a couple of minutes to figure out its located above the Mint museum, after that everything was lovely. A beautiful restaurant with a great view of the downtown. The food was wonderful and the craft cocktails are worth a look. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/10/2014I was very disappointed in our meals this weekend. One fundamental flaw is that the entrees/snacks are over prepared. For example, the babagounoush was terrible as the seasoning was horrible and not needed needed. Also food presentation was sloppy and uneven. Service was good but were overshadowed by the poor skills in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Pre-theater dinnerYankeeDined on 10/9/2014We had tickets for the ballet next door at the Knight Theater and let the waitress know. As we got there early we had time for a leisurely dinner. All went well, we shared a warm Caesar salad which was excellent and had the rabbit and lamb entrees. We decided to order dessert as plenty of time remained and waited, and waited , and waited. Finally my husband found the waitress and asked her to cancel the order. It evidently had turned very busy back there (or she forgot to submit the order). So a good dinner if you like beautifully plated dishes but small servings.Special Features:
- Love at First BiteJDavisDined on 10/4/2014This was our first trip to Halcyon, but it won't be our last. My wife and I sampled 6 items from the menu and all were perfect. Beautiful presentation and a flavor explosion with each bite. We have dined at all of the top restaurants in Uptown, and this is by far our favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view from the balcony!FoodieMeVIPDined on 10/4/2014Took my Mom for brunch to this uptown Charlotte spot. Got there around noon on a Saturday and was pleasantly surprised to see no long brunch patron lines. The restaurant is light, modern, with smart accents. We were promptly seated on the balcony overlooking Tryon. It was a clear sunny day which allowed for great views of the Green, the church and uptown. The fried chicken with buscuits, the chicken pate, and the bouillon were scrumptious. The mimosas packed a punch. Place got busy as we were leaving, but still plenty of room to navigate around tables. Only drawback is paying for parking (unless you secure a spot on the street), but it was not bad at $4.00. The restaurant probably validates parking, but I forgot to ask. :-)Special Features:
- Small servingsImlusDined on 9/27/2014Great food but very small servings. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014I had a reservation for a party of two for lunch, but arrived with +1 and they were extremely accommodating. Service was unnecessarily slow, lunch took nearly two hours and our server was lackadaisical. However, the food and atmosphere more than made up for this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An artful dining experience.artfulmealDined on 9/20/2014Every time I visit Charlotte, NC, and the Mint Museum, I make reservations at Halcyon. Located just outside the museum, this restaurant offers great farm to table dining options, a great view of the city and friendly service in an artful setting. Go and experience it yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Charlotte Favoritepeh2m9VIPDined on 9/13/2014I've been to Halcyon four times now and after each experience I like it more! The setting is calming, open and intimate but the Uptown location gives it a fun city vibe. Weather permitting, I prefer to sit outside. The service is consistently good but the food is what keeps bringing me back. The flavors are rich, but healthy and the options change with the seasons and availability, which I like. If you go soon, be sure to order the braised bison. When I went this weekend the chef shaved fresh truffle on top and it was heavenly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love new lighter menuLightfoodloverDined on 9/13/2014We have dined here many times but especially loved the new lighter menu. There were several fish/seafood entrees and finally a sashimi app (hamachi) that was very nice. The fruit (fresh berries) sabayon dessert with marscapone was also very light and the drinks were very unique. I especially loved the coriander Prosecco moonshine cocktail, but wish it was not quite so sweet. Prosecco is almost (but not quite) sweet enough to carry the other ingredients. A lovely view of downtown charlotte and a great matre 'd who knows how to please. Would love to see more light items. With such a great chef I'm sure they could be ultra creative with ceviche.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodiemamaFoodiemamaDined on 9/12/2014Excellent food, service and overall experience. Ordered tapas style to sample many tastes and all were amazing. Highly seasoned and very different in taste. The blue cheese soufflé and risotto grits were over the top. Service was exceptional and assistance with a very good wine list was perfect. The pineapple cake was not what I expected. It was better. One suggestion. If you order tapas size and style they bring it all at once. Tables are small. Serving dishes are large. Doesn't work. Ask your server to bring out one at a time since normally you are sharing. I will return on my next trip to Charlotte. Will be first on my list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasurelangberrydiningDined on 9/9/2014I've had the opportunity to have lunch at Halcyon on two different occasions. Each time the food and service was spectacular. The setting/decor couldn't be any more lovely (ok maybe the view could be less concrete but it is "uptown"). If you can find this place; it's not quite visible from street level (one story up!) it's worth the staircase many times over!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceJrmeDined on 9/6/2014We have now been to Halcyon for brunch, lunch, and dinner. Each time has been a great experience. Superb food, great service and just a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High hopes, but not fully metJustMyThoughtsDined on 8/30/2014We chose Halcyon to celebrate an important wedding anniversary. All went well but not outstanding. A special for the night was squab which the waiter said was mild. It wasn't mild and at least as strong and red as duck; I enjoyed it but my wife did not and asked to send it back. The rest of the food was good, but with the exception of the soufflé was good but not great. As was the rest of the experience good but not great: our special anniversary which I mentioned in making the reservations was mentioned but nothing special done for it. A special flower at the table or comp desert or something else would have been nice. Also no Merlot by the glass. From my perspective, it's the kind of restaurant for a corporate dinner.Special Features:
- AWESOME SPOTnania38VIPDined on 8/29/2014This is an amazing restaurant right in uptown Charlotte. Really cute outdoor space to sit and enjoy a glass of wine and an espresso after the meal. Our server was really sweet and when we asked for advice on whiskey the bartender came over and gave us some to try and really helped us. It made us feel special. There are VERY original menu items - we had the lamb, the pork belly and scallops, the zucchini blossoms with ricotta and the veggie platter. All were to die for and super tasty - Everything was very fresh and absolutely delicious. The wine was delicious and the ambiance is fantastic and it felt very romantic. Cant say enough positive comments about this place. LOVED IT.Special Features:
- A memorable feast!FabFoodDined on 8/29/2014Perhaps the best meal I've ever had! Tasty wines and superb "small plates" makes Halcyon a sure bet for a fabulous evening. And imagine this!? You can afford "fabulous" at Halcyon. Doesn't get any better than this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticexperiencedinerDined on 8/23/2014Everything a fine restaurant should be. Service was attentive and the food was inventive and delicious.Special Features:
- Food is awesomecltfoodDined on 8/15/2014You will love this farm to table style upscale resturant. Burger is out of this world. Eclectic dishes like the trout salad are one of a kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was pretty goodNotAFoodieDined on 8/6/2014This review is for the second time I went for dinner. I ordered the steak and it was OK, definitely not within my top ten steak dinner experiences. And I would have expected it to be given the price. The service was really very very good though. It was loud in there because of a couple of boisterous groups, so next time I'll pick a different spot to take a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceHannah91380Dined on 8/6/2014I recently went to Halycon for dinner. We had a reservation and were promptly seated in a table with a beautiful view of the city. Incidentally, all tables have a beautiful view because of the amazing windows. The ambience and food were good, but what was especially outstanding was the service. Our server was Adam, and he was warm, funny, knowledgable, and helpful. He gave us great descriptions and recommendations on food as well as attending to us throughout the meal. Our food was very good as well. We had a variety of things but our favorites were the flatbread appetizer and the chicken feta sausage that accompanied one of the dishes.Special Features:
- Good imaginative menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014The food was good, presentation was fine, service was attentive but not overbearing. Expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely view, unique cuisineCarolDined on 8/6/2014We had lunch at Halcyon this week and the food was fabulous as usual. Grouper salad was unique and the perfect balance of flavors.Special Features:
- AQS Quilt Show WeekOneLooseThreadVIPDined on 8/1/2014Amazing food and fabulous service. We had a party of 4 and everyone was very happy with our choice for dinner. Don't miss this wonderful little gem in Charlotte, NC.Special Features:
- Great pickDavclaDined on 7/29/2014Had a real nice dining experience, really enjoyed our waiter and host. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- Great food!OJazzVIPDined on 7/25/2014Not overly crowded for dinner when there is not an event next door. That makes an excellent opportunity to dine at Halcyon! They can accommodate all diets (vegan, gluten free...) and still keep a good flavor profile. Only downsides: the steps getting there for elderly folks; a wait for rest rooms; somewhat slow service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 671 reviews are from the Halcyon, Flavors from the Earth reviews archive.